Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aidan's tip of the week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Clean the seal of your fridge. 6 simple words... But honestly, it's an area that seems forgotten on the majority of MHs I see. Even ones that are otherwise spotless. The ridges in the seal hold grime like you wouldn't believe. It has to be a bacteria infestation breeding ground! And in extreme instances, it stops the seal , well, sealing, leading to the fridge not working properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Clean the seal of your fridge. 6 simple words... But honestly, it's an area that seems forgotten on the majority of MHs I see. Even ones that are otherwise spotless. The ridges in the seal hold grime like you wouldn't believe. It has to be a bacteria infestation breeding ground! And in extreme instances, it stops the seal , well, sealing, leading to the fridge not working properly.

Aidan's got another "dodgy" fridge to "clean" :p

Malta1 wrote: »

Aidan's got another "dodgy" fridge to "clean" :p
    Haha, no actually, just something I meant to post ages ago!

Check your spare wheel folks, not just the obvious stuff like the pressure, and any cracks or perishing, but also the carrier that holds it. If its one you have to wind down, do so, and grease it, I've had to fire up the gas torch to some to free them out. And you don't want to be doing that , stranded on the (wrong) side of the motorway. In the hissing rain. At night. And the batteries dying in your torch. And the wife giving out. And the kids hungry......

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Check your spare wheel folks, not just the obvious stuff like the pressure, and any cracks or perishing, but also the carrier that holds it. If its one you have to wind down, do so, and grease it, I've had to fire up the gas torch to some to free them out. And you don't want to be doing that , stranded on the (wrong) side of the motorway. In the hissing rain. At night. And the batteries dying in your torch. And the wife giving out. And the kids hungry......

Isnt that the idea of breakdown cover??? :D:D

• Advertisement

Malta1 wrote: »

Isnt that the idea of breakdown cover??? :D:D
    If you have it!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

Indeed. I did just that the couple of weekends ago except I at home, it was dry, it was daytime, the wife and kids were not around, I wasn't hungry and the van was level. My overall conclusion was that if I ever have to change a wheel at the side of the road it will be put on the kettle and call the breakdown cover :D.

A couple of people have asked me about 4 rail bike racks the few weeks. Put simply , yes they are available , yes the fit on the very same as the 2 or 3 rail ones...... But... And it's a significant But, it's not recommended in the industry any more. There were far too many warranty claims for leaking brackets and damaged walls! So much so that 4 rail racks were taken off the option list of some MH manufacturers.

I know it's a problem if there are for example 2 adults and 2 kids who all want bikes, the understanding seems to be that at least one bike is to be carried on the roof or inside. Not always ideal, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

A couple of people have asked me about 4 rail bike racks the few weeks. Put simply , yes they are available , yes the fit on the very same as the 2 or 3 rail ones...... But... And it's a significant But, it's not recommended in the industry any more. There were far too many warranty claims for leaking brackets and damaged walls! So much so that 4 rail racks were taken off the option list of some MH manufacturers.

I know it's a problem if there are for example 2 adults and 2 kids who all want bikes, the understanding seems to be that at least one bike is to be carried on the roof or inside. Not always ideal, unfortunately.

I carry 5 bikes, 4 on the rack and one in the garage. To reduce the weight on the rack (and make the bikes less attractive to thieves) I remove the front wheels and saddles and carry them in the garage. It also find it makes them a lot easier to stack on the rack as I turn the handle bars in line with the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Is the problem with carrying 4 bikes on the rack just due to the pressure that the weight of the bikes and the rack exert on the rear panel while moving? Or is it just the weight of the bikes and the rack full stop?

What I mean is for a 4 rail bike rack would it make any difference to carry one bike on the inside while moving, and place it on the rack when parked up?

• Advertisement

As you correctly asked, it's the weight on the back wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭sunchaser

I wouldn't want to buy this motorhome when the present owner wants to offer it for sale.

After the sudden cold snap over the weekend, might be no harm to go out to your MHs and check the taps and water pipes, folks... Maybe run the heat a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

After the sudden cold snap over the weekend, might be no harm to go out to your MHs and check the taps and water pipes, folks... Maybe run the heat a while.

It's -1 still here in Dublin at the moment! (I hope this cold snap doesn't last long I'm getting the itch to go somewhere for a night or two)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭bongomad

hi aidan
    any tips on parking up the old campervan for a year? ive no garage so would be outside and dont fancy paying storage somewhere! would i be best take the battery out and store in a dry space or leave it in and get a family member to start once and awhile, rain cover would it rub of some paint due to being outside in the wind? i take it wouldnt be a good idea to have the hand break pulled for a long period of time! sorry for all the questions any help would be appreciated

bongomad wrote: »
    hi aidan
    any tips on parking up the old campervan for a year? ive no garage so would be outside and dont fancy paying storage somewhere! would i be best take the battery out and store in a dry space or leave it in and get a family member to start once and awhile, rain cover would it rub of some paint due to being outside in the wind? i take it wouldnt be a good idea to have the hand break pulled for a long period of time! sorry for all the questions any help would be appreciated

Tis all in the thread! Lol

To recap, no, don't leave on the handbrake , yes a good idea to remove the battery and store it safely , but better still to get someone to start it regularly and take it for a run, turn on gas appliances too. A proper rain cover shouldn't rub off any paint but may make it sweat a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭bongomad

To recap, no, don't leave on the handbrake , yes a good idea to remove the battery and store it safely , but better still to get someone to start it regularly and take it for a run, turn on gas appliances too. A proper rain cover shouldn't rub off any paint but may make it sweat a bit.

my bad:o, thanks for the help!

My tip for today is more of a plea .... Get your MH damp tested every year! We've seen a scary amount of them with damp/leaks/rot this year. All ones bought privately , or in , shall we say less scrupulous establishments. Right up to only a few years old.

I'd like to add to this as I'm lately discovering the wonders of silicone lubricants :D

Put some silicon paste on skylight and window rubbers to stop them sticking on and eventually tearing when you try to open them after prolonged closing.

If it's dry storage soap works too...then again you could leave them open were that the case.

@ Aidan can you recommend a good (cheap wink.png) cover/brand. I'm looking for a car size though.

I can't to be honest, I simply don't like them!

• Advertisement

I'd like to add to this as I'm lately

@ Aidan can you recommend a good (cheap wink.png) cover/brand. I'm looking for a car size though.

Sorry I thought it was for a camper. Try carcoversireland

Yeah, I hear you knocking. Had a look around and without spending over half the value of the car on a super-turbo-ultra-deluxe model I'm inclined to think that natural ventilation is best.

Folks , We all use gas in the MHS , big and small , and while currently there's no testing of the gas install , there;s no point in having gas leaking ! I see a lot of MHs with one of 2 problems , either perished hoses from the bottle top regulator to the wall , or on the newer tyoes with wall mounted regulators , the sealing washers torn or perished .

that is using systems like this.. JUMBO_OPTION_BUT.jpg
    http://www.vanplusdirect.co.uk/WebRoot/Store/Shops/es133288/4C1A/2AB0/42C8/47CF/F0F0/0A0F/1118/EDEE/JUMBO_OPTION_BUT.jpg

the washers get crushed , and torn when over tightened . These nuts only need a nip of a pliers .

It's no harm to give the hoses a spray of windolene or similar bubbley stuff every now and then .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Not at all, a handy tool, I use one myself.

Folks, a lot of MHs with a few years on them are needing new leisure batteries. If you're not replacing with an identical one, check that there's not a switch on the charging box, to select a different rate of charge for dry vs wet cell batteries.

Folks, a lot of MHs with a few years on them are needing new leisure batteries. If you're not replacing with an identical one, check that there's not a switch on the charging box, to select a different rate of charge for dry vs wet cell batteries.

Do you mean flooded verses sealed batteries Aidan?
    Dry cell are Duracell zinc-carbon types, Li-ion, Ni-Cad etc.

You can get dry cell 12v batteries for mega-bucks and they would need a separate charge algorithm but they're not very common. I think BMW are putting Li-ion in cars now.

AGM are dry too aren't they?

By dry , I meant the type that can be fitted on their side, Agm gel types.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Apologies for another hi-jack of your thread Aidan.

This is very interesting Hymer brake squeaking. Problem found

I have a squeal in the front brakes of my '05 Ducato base motorhome with over 85k Km's done and still on original pads now over eight years old still with plenty of meat :D, but are they falling apart with age :eek:

In future when it's being serviced I will ask the garage to take them out for a visual inspection instead of checking the wear with them is situ.

• Advertisement

That's nothing new at all tbh , I see it the whole time in work! That's why I always push back the pistons in calipers , to have a look . The sliders are regularly seized too..

Advertisement