Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Winnings from todays draw: €0

Total winnings since Feb 2010 on €500: €150
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €50: €0

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Agent Smyth

Winnings from 04/01/13 draw € 0
    Last win 14/12/12 €75
    total wins this year € 0
    Total wins 2012 €375

I noticed the prize fund has fallen, I wonder if this is because people are not happy with the change in value of the prizes and have cashed in their bonds or is it normal at this time of year for people to cash in their bonds ??

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

Winnings from today's draw: €0
    Total winnings since Feb 2012 on €12k: €150

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

€0 winnings today

Last winnings €75 in March 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

Winnings from today's draw: €50.

I've had 4 wins now in the last 6 draws. Not impressed with the drop in prize value but still, it's a nice start to the year to have a win in the first draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭oaklands

Just a quick update on the average returns with the new prize system, now that the number of prizes for January is known (8,750 vs 9,078 in Dec'12).
    • €50 prizes should give a 1.324% tax free return on average (or 1.976% DIRT equivalent)
    • €100 prizes should give a 0.161% tax free return on average (or 0.239% DIRT equivalent)
    • Looking at both €50 & €100 prizes - should give a 1.485% tax free return on average (or 2.216% DIRT equivalent)

However, the 'gotcha' is that unless you have in excess of say €50k->€100K+ in bonds you are unlikely to win the €100 often enough, so your return would more likely be 1.324%(1.976% DIRT) vs 1.485%(2.216% DIRT) for larger holdings. For example, with €50k bonds you will win a €100 prize every 15 months on average.

NB: All of the above assumes average performance. There is good chance that actual performace will vary, particularly with smaller holdings.

Winnings from 04/01/13 draw € 0
    Last win 14/12/12 €75
    total wins this year € 0
    Total wins 2012 €375

I noticed the prize fund has fallen, I wonder if this is because people are not happy with the change in value of the prizes and have cashed in their bonds or is it normal at this time of year for people to cash in their bonds ??

Good spot AgentSmyth!

It looks like the prize fund was reduced by €219,950 vs Dec'12 equivalent. However, this represents an additional €43,163 more of a reduction than would have been expected based on the new prize system.

If this is extrapolated, it looks like the may have been a net €99.75 million reduction in Bonds in December'12, Given that there were up to 5 work days at most since the announcement and that a lot of people buy bonds as Xmas gifts in December, that is a lot of movement.

If this is indeed the case, we can expect to see a lot more cashed in by the end of Jan!.

Hi Oaklands,
    Question for you given that you seem to be a figures man.

Is it better to purchase Prize Bonds in one batch or spead it out over a few purchases (10 x €1000 or 1 x €10000)
    I am just wondering if it makes any difference to the odds ??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

First €50 :( win, PB bought November 2009.

Winnings to date (no winning records kept pre 2005) €725 on €6,800 worth of PB's bought monthly over a 14 year period.

Hi Oaklands,
    Is it better to purchase Prize Bonds in one batch or spead it out over a few purchases (10 x €1000 or 1 x €10000)
    I am just wondering if it makes any difference to the odds ??

Thanks

There is no difference in the probability of winning between the 2 examples you provided.

For €10,000 (or 1,600 bonds) you should win €50 2.6 times per annum(or every 20 weeks) an average and €100 every 6.2 years - on average. The % returns are as per my post of yesterday.
    Based on Jan'13 Probabilities

• Advertisement

Oaklands

no thats not the answer i was looking for and thats probably my fault in how i asked the question

Is it better to have all your bonds be it in 5,10 or 20000s worth in one batch with consecutive numbers
    or is it better to purchase smaller batches with lots of different numbers over time
    I know the more bonds you have the better your odds but do the odds improve more if they are all consecutive ??

thanks

Oaklands
    Is it better to have all your bonds be it in 5,10 or 20000s worth in one batch with consecutive numbers
    or is it better to purchase smaller batches with lots of different numbers over time
    I know the more bonds you have the better your odds but do the odds improve more if they are all consecutive ??

thanks

Its only the total number of bonds that matter. How they are made up (sequential or not) doesnt change the probability of winning.

So having 5 different sets of 100 bonds is the same as having one set of 500 sequentially numbered bonds - in terms of probability of winning.

The probability of winning does not improve or disimprove if all the bonds are consecutive.

Oaklands

thanks

Its only the total number of bonds that matter. How they are made up (sequential or not) doesnt change the probability of winning.

So having 5 different sets of 100 bonds is the same as having one set of 500 sequentially numbered bonds - in terms of probability of winning.

The probability of winning does not improve or disimprove if all the bonds are consecutive.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

ok. been following this thread for a while.... decided to start saving €200 a Month in prize bonds. Just got my first batch.

Winnings from most recent draw: €0 ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Quick question. Say I gift E30,000 worth of prize bonds to my fiancé, would she have to pay tax on that?

If you receive a gift or inheritance from your spouse or civil partner, you are exempt from Capital Acquisitions Tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭pbwinner

oaklands wrote: »
    I have written up a script to automatically send an automatic email notification each Friday, just after 12:30 when the results are published on the PB website.

A sample email output is attached, with some of the detail hidden.

If anyone on this thread wants to receive an automatic weekly email notification, then PM the ranges of your bonds to me and include your email address for notification. In summary, you will get an email detailing your wins or no win result - like in the attachment, plus a list of your holding which was checked against the results.

As far as I know there should be no risk in me knowing your numbers, but make your own call on that.

I have been running this successfully for the last 4 weeks for several family members, without problems.

So the first 5 to PM me (with details) before Fri will be included this week & the service is foc. The only criteria is that you have made meaningful contributions to this thread. I will be ablle to add more if there is interest in the comming weeks.

From time to time I may publish aggegate results for all holdings on this thread.

The following format would suffice in the PM:

BondsHeld:
    AB123450 -> AB123458
    BC123450 -> BC123458
    BD123450 -> BD123458
    SC123450 -> SC123458

Email: joe at blogs.ie

If you use the bond tracker, then a copy and paste of that would suffice.

(TIP: create a new email account on gmail or yahooo or any other provider to further anonymise your info and use it for the notification. e.g. pb123456 at gmail dot com would be great.)

One thing I would suggest is wait a few hours before checking the web site - I checked last week a little past 12:30 and it said I didn't win anything, however a €50 cheque arrived today from that draw.

Winnings from today's draw: €50
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €800

pbwinner wrote: »
    One thing I would suggest is wait a few hours before checking the web site - I checked last week a little past 12:30 and it said I didn't win anything, however a €50 cheque arrived today from that draw.

Thanks for the update. However the script takes care of this - provided the results are not altered after the initial release of results.

What could have happened is that you checked the website just before the results were released. In this case you may have got the results for the previous week. This can also happen if clocks have drifted several seconds or more. Based on my observations the results get released between 12:30 and 12:31 so far. The date of the draw is displayed on the results page.

I got an SMS at 12:32 (quickly followed by an email) saying that my winnings were zilch for the draw & I checked just now and its still the case unfortunately.

If you could PM me your winning bond number, I can check against the data I got from the website to see if it was there at 12:32. (Alternatively, if you are concerned about security of your PB number, you could PM 5 or 6 digits of it & I will PM back the matching winners for you to check.).

Update: No need to do this - as I have just checked the current results for €50 prizes and they are the same as they were @ 12:32 on Friday 4th Jan 2013. So you must have got in just before the results were updated on the site and inadvertently got the results for the week before.

Does the website now say that you won last friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

How can i find out how many prize bonds i have in my name?

I've gotten many over the years as gifts from relatives etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Daawaa

How can i find out how many prize bonds i have in my name?

I've gotten many over the years as gifts from relatives etc

Register here prize bonds and put in your numbers. Then click Check Winning Numbers.

You'll get a window that'll show if you won with the date and amount

good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Daawaa wrote: »
    Register here prize bonds and put in your numbers. Then click Check Winning Numbers.

You'll get a window that'll show if you won with the date and amount

good luck :)

No i think you took me up wrong, I have prize bond certs but i'm nearly sure i got more when i was younger that my father might have or they're in the house somewhere. I want o find out how much € i have in prizebonds under my name

So if possible i want to ring the post office and ask them how many prizebonds were purchased for/by "john doe"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Winnings from todays draw: €0

Total winnings since Feb 2010 on €500: €150
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €50: €0

Winnings from today's draw: €0
    Total winnings since Feb 2011 on €25k: €800

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭cold case

€0 winnings today

Last winnings: €75 in March 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

€0 winnings today on €200

Winnings from 11/01/13 draw € 50
    Last win 14/12/12 €75
    total wins this year € 50
    Total wins 2012 €375

First of many I hope this year !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭el diablo

How long does it usually take these clowns to respond to an email? I emailed them over a week ago (and three days ago) about a withdrawal that hasn't been credited to my account but still no response.
    I sent them a letter a few weeks back to withdraw my remaining prize bonds to my bank account but I still have not been credited.

Is the freephone number on their website the only phone number they have? I'm overseas and can't call that number. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any info.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭WhiteMan32

Winnings from yesterday's draw: €0
    Total winnings since Feb 2012 on €12k: €150

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

They should further cheapen the PB image by giving a "free prize bond" like scratch tickets.

Min win should be 100 euro IMO. This 50 euro win is too low

Advertisement