Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Atheism a closed minded standpoint ?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

mickrock wrote: »
    Atheists reject the idea of God yet accept abiogenesis without evidence.

If there's no evidence for either, why accept one and not the other?

I believe I said I am agnostic on the issue of abiogenesis as I know feck all about it.

• Moderators Posts: 51,720 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

you're making a generalisation without anything to back it up.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Really? Are you sure?

My 93 year old Great-Grand uncle is an Atheist,- he may not have been in many foxholes

Proves my point

no atheists in foxholes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

figs666 wrote: »
    Proves my point

no atheists in foxholes

How? - I said he wasn't in many foxholes - not that he wasn't in any. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Proves my point

no atheists in foxholes

foxholeatheists.jpg

There's no theists in hospital waiting rooms...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭McG

there are no athiests in foxholes :D

He is talking hen

:confused: Are we just going to spout stupid (and clearly false) sayings now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Really?

234732.jpg

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Its down to interpetations of the bible and what people take out of it Take the Old Testament some may say that was mostly metaphoric and all rules were rules of land for people who were unlearned and the New Testament was what God really wanted people to live. While there are other who say unless Jesus specifically says about laws in the Old Testament then they still stand eg. why people have different views to homosexuality etc.

Well I'm stumped for what the quote below could be a metaphor for and strangely I can't find anything in the new testament where Jesus who was around for over 3 decades bothered to point out that people had mis-wrote or misunderstood part of the old testament. Could you give me any reason to suggest that the christian god didn't mean the passage below?
    McG wrote: »
    Yes, it does as many interpret it:

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.[3](Leviticus 20:13 KJV)

Ignorant nonsense of course but that's what many "Christians" believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Since when is there no evidence for abiogenesis?
    The theory isn't complete, but abiogenesis is based on chemistry which we have a good understanding of (in general, and specifically in terms of the likely chemistry involved).
    God is based on a magical being (which many claim we can't possibly understand). Occams razor says abiogenesis is far more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Since when is there no evidence for abiogenesis?

There is no evidence for it.

It's something people have faith in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

There is no evidence for it.

It's something people have faith in.

I love the way you selectively ommited the bit where he mentions the evidence for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Really? Do we? I must have missed that memo. BTW, can anybody tell me when I get my Atheist Badge and Decoder Ring? Please Wait 28 Days For Delivery how are ye.

I'm certainly no expert on the matter, but from what I've read, I gather that abiogensis may be plausible, but that further research on the matter is needed (and is ongoing). How is this a question of 'belief'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Mickrock could you just pick up a book or two on evolutionary biology and save everyone from having to repeatedly debunk everything you say on the matter? I think we all, yourself included, will end up much happier for it.

I love the way you selectively ommited the bit where he mentions the evidence for it.

He linked to a wikipedia page which has no evidence for it, just lots of hypotheses.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

He linked to a wikipedia page which has no evidence for it, just lots of hypotheses.
    Did you read any of the links to scientific papers that were summed up in and provided on that page?

Sarky wrote: »
    Mickrock could you just pick up a book or two on evolutionary biology and save everyone from having to repeatedly debunk everything you say on the matter? I think we all, yourself included, will end up much happier for it.

The party line from evolutionists is that the origin of life and evolution of life are separate matters. I thought you would have known this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I do. Your misunderstanding seems to arise from not having the first clue about either of them. Understanding one will help you understand the other. Please try that, instead of repeating the same stuff that others have shown to be wrong again and again and again and again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

McG wrote: »
    Yes, it does as many interpret it:

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.[3](Leviticus 20:13 KJV)

Martin, it's been pointed out to you where your book tells you homosexuals should be put to death, and it's their own fault for being perverts. Are we going to get any rebuttal, even a 'context' or 'metaphor' one?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

James Marrow can suck my c**k

If his agruement was true , when not say " there are no motor mechanic's in foxholes"

He is talking hen
    figs666, please up your contribution quality if you want to continue posting here.
    The party line from evolutionists is that the origin of life and evolution of life are separate matters. I thought you would have known this.
    mickrock, drop the abiogenesis line. It's irrelevant to the thread and is not a 'tenet' of atheism.

/ removes mod hat
    Most atheists seem to reject the idea of a creative intelligence because they find the notion unpalatable (often because of the influence of organised religion).

Rejecting an idea because it's unpalatable and conflicts with the wordview you feel comfortable with would indicate close mindedness.
    When it comes to rejecting reality to embrace a more comfortable belief, you can't possibly think that the religious aren't by a country mile the biggest offenders here?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Well I'm stumped for what the quote below could be a metaphor for and strangely I can't find anything in the new testament where Jesus who was around for over 3 decades bothered to point out that people had mis-wrote or misunderstood part of the old testament. Could you give me any reason to suggest that the christian god didn't mean the passage below?

It is in 1 of the gospels where laws were said to be put in stricter terms as ye were young and innocent. If I can find it I will post it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Martin, it's been pointed out to you where your book tells you homosexuals should be put to death, and it's their own fault for being perverts. Are we going to get any rebuttal, even a 'context' or 'metaphor' one?

I have done a rebuttal I may not have quoted that specific post but there was a long conversation about it. Try reading through the thread

Between me and Bannasidhe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

It is in 1 of the gospels where laws were said to be put in stricter terms as ye were young and innocent. If I can find it I will post it

Assuming you do find it, what then? You argue for a god that only felt it necessary for humanity to kill men who had sex with other men (sorry ladies, the passage don't mention you) up until about 2000 years ago ? It's not a lot better really is it?

And whose fault was it by the way that we were "young and innocent"? Hardly a god punishing us for our ancestors eating a fruit from the tree of knowledge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

I think this thread has summed up th op question...

Atheism isnt actually a standpoint, more an open minded sit on the fence and point philosphy

Dades wrote: »
    When it comes to rejecting reality to embrace a more comfortable belief, you can't possibly think that the religious aren't by a country mile the biggest offenders here?

Religion is man made.

Pretend, for a minute, that there's no such thing as organised religion and all that goes with it. Would you still reject the idea of a creative intelligence as a likely or possible explanation for the world?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Pretend, for a minute, that there's no such thing as organised religion and all that goes with it. Would you still reject the idea of a creative intelligence as a likely or possible explanation for the world?
    Who said I reject any idea?

I reject the notions of "intelligent design" as put forward by religious groups such as Christian creationists, as they are nothing but a vehicle for their own agendas and their evidence is horribly fabricated and dishonest.

The concept that there is something intelligent behind some or all aspects of the universe sits fine with me. I'm as open to it as I am to any conceptual argument that has no evidence for it either way.

Also, what has this got to do with my post you quoted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Religion is man made.

Yes, I think I would. I don't see any evidence for such a creative intelligence, and I don't see a need for one. Show some evidence to the contrary, and I'll reconsider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I have done a rebuttal I may not have quoted that specific post but there was a long conversation about it. Try reading through the thread

Between me and Bannasidhe

Sorry Martin, not finding it - do you agree with that passage in the Bible, or is that one of the ones that's ok to ignore because it makes modern Christians uncomfortable?

Dades wrote: »
    I reject the notions of "intelligent design" as put forward by religious groups such as Christian creationists, as they are nothing but a vehicle for their own agendas and their evidence is horribly fabricated and dishonest.

Yes, I feel the same way about Dawkins and other hardcore evolutionists.

• Moderators Posts: 51,720 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Am I reading it right in that you're saying the evidence for evolution is fabricated?:confused:

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Whats a hardcore evolutionist?

People who legitimately study the area for a living?

Advertisement