Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser pointers official legislation

Options
  • 22-12-2012 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys I hope it's ok to ask this here.
    I read in the forum charter that lasers are restricted in Ireland

"lasers of less than 5 milli Watts
    - in the light frequencies of 630 to 680nm"

Does anyone have a link to the actual legislation. I figured if anyone was to know it would be you guys over here in airsoft.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

tuxy wrote: »
    Hey guys I hope it's ok to ask this here.
    I read in the forum charter that lasers are restricted in Ireland

"lasers of less than 5 milli Watts
    - in the light frequencies of 630 to 680nm"

Does anyone have a link to the actual legislation. I figured if anyone was to know it would be you guys over here in airsoft.

Thanks

Well it would be wrong anyway because that range doesn't include blue and green, both of which are legal in Ireland provided they match the correct power outputs. Its like fps, meaningless without the weight of the ball also quoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ironclaw wrote: »
    Well it would be wrong anyway because that range doesn't include blue and green, both of which are legal in Ireland provided they match the correct power outputs. Its like fps, meaningless without the weight of the ball also quoted.

Are you saying the forum charter is incorrect?

What about the "correct power outputs" , where in Irish law could I find info on the power output of lasers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You can't find any info in law because it isn't there.

Sparks (Our CMOD) tried to find out once and went and and contacted the DOJ about it and was pretty much fobbed off and told the same.

All we got from them was the aforementioned lasers were 'probably' legal so that's all we have to work from.

If there are any wealthy airsofters out there that fancy taking on the Irish judiciary on our behalf then please feel free.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

There in lies the problem steve
    "There is no such thing as a wealthy airsofter"
    :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Thanks for the reply steve. Sounds about right to me.

I'm still confused about this forums charter that includes guidelines on what is illegal in Irish law.

Where does the following info come from?
    * While it is unclear of the leaglity of using lasers on airsoft devices discusssion of it is allowed here with the understanding that actually doing so may be illegal. Only lasers that meet the following criteria are legal in Ireland:

- lasers of less than 5 milli Watts
    - in the light frequencies of 630 to 680nm

Which means that all Blue and Green lasers (which are out side of light frequencies of 630 to 680nm) are illeagle and should not be discussed here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,477 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

tuxy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply steve. Sounds about right to me.

I'm still confused about this forums charter that includes guidelines on what is illegal in Irish law.

Where does the following info come from?

The DOJ gave the IAA limits of 5 mW, 630 to
    680nm a few years ago when asked about it.

Link to article

The amendment to Section 1(d) of the 1925 Firearms
    Act they mention is from the 2006 Criminal Justice Act which changed the definition of a firearm to include

“ firearm ” means—

[...]

(d) any type of stun gun or other weapon for causing any shock or other disablement to a person by means of electricity or any other kind of energy emission.

Advertisement