Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BlackBerry Playbook Users

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Skype text messaging but not skype video.

Can you do voice calls? but not video calls? need to check myself

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Can you do voice calls? but not video calls? need to check myself

No. Only got the text messaging working. It was buggy so I removed it.

No. Only got the text messaging working. It was buggy so I removed it.

Same problem, found the following website: https://imo.im

Can run skype form here and put a shortcut to the desktop, I tried it from playbook to iphone and seemed to work, camera wasn't really working but need to have proper look

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Official Leather Binder cover. http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B004XKG7YQ/ref=ox_ya_os_product £9.99 from Amazon. Now £15.95
    39701.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350667165188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Got this last night. Looks like bargain with shipping to Ireland. Not official but who needs official.

Just getting used to playbook. Think its great but could do with recommendations of app's. AppWorld seems poor compared to play and iTunes

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote: »
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350667165188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Got this last night. Looks like bargain with shipping to Ireland. Not official but who needs official.

Just getting used to playbook. Think its great but could do with recommendations of app's. AppWorld seems poor compared to play and iTunes

It is definitely more limited but what apps/type of apps are you looking for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

I wouldn't mind skype, a lot of my friends use skype but there doesnt appear to be one for the playbook :(

no it's not available. It might become available soon but we wont know until about the 30th of January

It is definitely more limited but what apps/type of apps are you looking for?

Just anything good, I was looking for skype mostly for video calls but working on fixing that myself:D

Just anything anyone has found good.....I have iphone and htc phone and have some ad's on that like RTE news which is useful. Anything for movies? selling my Archos and going to use Playbook instead....

Apart from the apps listed on the first page:

I use the print to go app a lot in work for meetings. I can print anything from my pc and it sends it directly to the playbook over wifi as a pdf.

Splashtop is great for controlling my PC. It allows me to remotely access it over wifi so I can control it or get things off it. Again handy in meetings.

Piano is great for the kids

Zinio is great for magazine subscriptions,

Taptu is a nice news aggregator

Kobo is a good book reader

QFolio is great for monitoring stocks and shares

Blueplaylist is great for music

Evernote is essential for note taking

I dont play many games but what I have I like:

GT Racing Motor Academy HD

Modern Combat 2 Black Pegasus HD

Shadowgun

Nothing really for movies that I've found but I visit http://www.aertv.ie/ on the browser

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Does that work if converted for the Playbook OS? Anything bar the simplest app seems to have problems if converted for use with the Android App Player, at least that's what I find.

EDIT: Got TVPortalApp and video player apk's (MX Player and BS Player). TVPortalApp apk will sign and deploy, neither of the video players will sign or deploy.

EDIT EDIT: Thanks, The_B_Man for this post. The latest FilmOn and Flash player are flakey but seem to work, I haven't tested the combo for any decent length of time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Has anyone managed to configure a vpn connection on their playbook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

Does that work if converted for the Playbook OS? Anything bar the simplest app seems to have problems if converted for use with the Android App Player, at least that's what I find.
    I don't know, just threw it up since I seen the list.

Cookie will check it out.

Jet flicks is another one.

Stheno wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to configure a vpn connection on their playbook?

Vpn setup is located in settings, security, scroll to Vpn. You can only choose from a few but try generic IKEv2. I haven't tried to set one up as of yet

FYI I picked up a desktop rapid charger for 8.99 in PC world today (instore but it's online too). It's my second one (use the other in work) and the 1st one cost me almost 40 euro so it's a bargain at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

FYI I picked up a desktop rapid charger for 8.99 in PC world today (instore but it's online too). It's my second one (use the other in work) and the 1st one cost me almost 40 euro so it's a bargain at present.

Out of stock online :( What store did you get it in? Would def head over to Mahon tomorrow to get one if they have them in stock.

They had a couple more in the store. It was Jervis, Dublin

Hey Guys

Getting used to Playbook, find it good so far.

Few issues with films. Had an Archos for use on flights and played more or less everything. Sold it on and transferred over films. Mostly .avi files. Have tried to play and getting errors saying it is not supported but some of the films it will play:confused:

Read back on thread and it did mention about codec been an issue. Any idea's of good program/app available that will allow to play?

Otherwise good website to buy and download films for playbook?

I use mediacoder for converting videos to mp4 format

http://www.mediacoderhq.com/

• Advertisement

I use mediacoder for converting videos to mp4 format

http://www.mediacoderhq.com/

Cheers, so if I convert everything to MP4 it will play? do you use the Videos app that is included?

I downloaded Local Media player today and it only shows the 3 MP4 files I have!!

I use the included video player. My MP4's are encoded for H.264 video and AAC audio

• Audio codecs are the main issue, it doesnt support AC3 (Dolby Digital) or DTS.

Thankfully audio transcoding is very quick, if you know what you're doing you can leave the video untouched and it only takes a couple of minutes.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Vpn setup is located in settings, security, scroll to Vpn. You can only choose from a few but try generic IKEv2. I haven't tried to set one up as of yet

Thanks, it's stumped me and the IT guys in my work!

I'm well used to setting up VPNs, seems you need some sort of an app to get it done

Stheno wrote: »
    Thanks, it's stumped me and the IT guys in my work!

I'm well used to setting up VPNs, seems you need some sort of an app to get it done

Have a look here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/playbook-apps-games-f243/tutorial-how-setup-vpn-playbook-get-blackberry-videos-music-podcast-703375/

Thankfully audio transcoding is very quick, if you know what you're doing you can leave the video untouched and it only takes a couple of minutes.

Thats the problem, haven't a clue what I am doing.....:p just used to get and would always play on Archos, was handy!!!:rolleyes:

Just need to spend some time but too lazy on a Sat nite!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Ye, audio codec support is definitely top of my wish list for BB10.
    There's nothing more frustrating than spending ages copying over a film and forgetting to check its audio codec type, and then sitting down to watch the film only to see its not supported!!

Does anyone know if this issue could be overcome by someone writing an app with AC3 built in, or is it just impossible to watch AC3 films on the playbook until RIM decide to include it?

I presume it requires a licence for the codec so an app would not pass RIM's checks since it isn't licencing the codec either. No?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hi, does anyone know if Cyanogenmod or any other team are working on Android for these?

• Advertisement

No it's not available for the playbook and I've heard nothing about anyone working on it either.

Advertisement