Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developmental psychopathology

Options
  • 21-12-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

I am hoping to study psychology next september but found this course in an American college. Can anyone tell me what would be the best books to read on this topic to help me learn more about it and understand it and if there is a course on this? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

It sounds like this course would focus on Psychological disorders of childhood. Maybe you would be better to do a general psychology course first. Try looking at the Open University site. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Yeah, Dev psychology is basically the psychological development of people in their life, but a lot of it mainly focuses on the first few years of a child's life.

If you'd like to look into it though "The developing person through the life span" by Kathleen strassen berger is a brilliant book for this area of psychology.

But the book "Psychology : the science of mind and behaviour" by Michael Passer and others is great for an introduction to psychology as a whole.

Hope this is helpful!
    Very best of luck! :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Trisha XxX

Jay1989 wrote: »
    Yeah, Dev psychology is basically the psychological development of people in their life, but a lot of it mainly focuses on the first few years of a child's life.

If you'd like to look into it though "The developing person through the life span" by Kathleen strassen berger is a brilliant book for this area of psychology.

But the book "Psychology : the science of mind and behaviour" by Michael Passer and others is great for an introduction to psychology as a whole.

Hope this is helpful!
    Very best of luck! :):):)

Brilliant thank you so much will get both, :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 holly dennehy

Any psychologists are people with knowledge around PTSD-HELP please.

"Research on the aetiology of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder is very much focussed on its social determination. Discuss the merits and likely value of this approach"

There’s a literature on PTSD that has emerged that says it’s about social relationships, it’s about attachment processes, it’s about how you’re connected to other people- my question is what are the merits/disadvantages of this approach.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

20 years old but 95% of it is still relevant https://www.amazon.co.uk/Psychology-Written-Gleitman-Publisher-Hardcover/dp/B00SLTCHVC/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1525897432&sr=8-7&keywords=psychology+gleitman

for 5 euro including post and packaging you can't afford NOT to buy it!!!

(check out other editions as well if you like) (that's not a personal amazon link, I don't get money from the click, don't worry)

You can generally pick up old editions of psychology textbooks very cheaply, it's great. First year level psychology doesn't move very fast, so old editions are fine. The details change faster than the big picture, and that's what you get in first year, the big picture.

• Advertisement
Advertisement