Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enterprise Blu ray - Early 2013

• 06-10-2012 7:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭

http://ent.trekcore.com/bluray/10062012_entblurumors.html

I was going to just slot this in under TNG BR thread but it is an entirely seperate show so I figured, why not!

Something else Trek related to look forward to.

I honestly cant see how they would leave DS9 or voyager out of the mix. Give it a few years and we should have all of Trek in HD :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

http://ent.trekcore.com/bluray/10062012_entblurumors.html

I was going to just slot this in under TNG BR thread but it is an entirely seperate show so I figured, why not!

Something else Trek related to look forward to.

I honestly cant see how they would leave DS9 or voyager out of the mix. Give it a few years and we should have all of Trek in HD :D

Enterprise is probably a way easier conversion than DS9 & VOY would be, given it was shot digitally. Plus its only half the length being only four seasons. Kinda surprised to see it happen so soon though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

I'm surprised it hasn't happened earlier, Enterprise is already available in HD and has been in one form or another since launch.

DS9 and Voy would take some time to convert and probably not until TNG Blu-ray has either finished or shown the conversions would be worth the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Hopefully they will change the intro score a little, sounds like an x-factor song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭filmbuffboy

while they definately should change the intro, they wont for the purpose of staying true to the original intent. however misguided that intent might have been.

if season 4 of enterprise had been season 1, i honestly think we would have gotten 7 seasons. its a great pity the show was axed because season 4 is stellar!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Kurn

Tomk1 wrote: »
    Hopefully they will change the intro score a little, sounds like an x-factor song.

• Advertisement

Season 1 of Enterprise slated for March 2013 release. Looking forward to it, but it's Season 4 I can't wait for!!!!!!!!! :) Special features will include:

The Season 1 set will boast a brand new 3-part documentary (similar to TNG Season 1's "Stardate Revisited") which we've been told is both epic, compelling and incredibly candid.

The Season 1 set will include a number of new audio commentaries (expect around 4 episodes to feature commentaries). Furthermore, the show's Executive Producer Brannon Braga has revealed that Season 1's fan-favorite episode "Shuttlepod One" will feature a commentary with Brannon, Connor Trinneer (Trip Tucker) and Dominic Keating (Malcolm Reed). This is very exciting news, hearing of a commentary featuring the two stars of that particular episode along with the episode's writer and producer.

The Season 1 release is also set to include an unprecedented special discussion piece between executive producers Rick Berman and Brannon Braga. The lengthy piece, entitled "In Conversation" is described as refreshingly candid and "will be watched by the fanbase for years to come" according to Robert Meyer Burnett.

Now this will be interesting. ENT was shot digitally & in 16:9, meaning the HD conversion should look absolutely fantastic. However, turning CG ships like the NX-01 into 1080p might be a double edged sword, they could easily look very fake. TNG stuff was all/mostly model based, so its always going to look more real...interesting for sure

EnterNow wrote: »
    Now this will be interesting. ENT was shot digitally & in 16:9, meaning the HD conversion should look absolutely fantastic. However, turning CG ships like the NX-01 into 1080p might be a double edged sword, they could easily look very fake. TNG stuff was all/mostly model based, so its always going to look more real...interesting for sure

Yeah, definitely something I was thinking about too. Let's hope CBS give it the same kind of time & care Season 1 of Next Gen got. Even though it wasn't as popular a show, it still needs to look stunning to warrant the double dip on blu ray.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, but didn't they end up replacing a lot of that model work with CGI because it was shot on video, hence the disastrous season 2 Blu-ray?

I'd imagine for Enterprise they'll simply upscale the visual effect shots, which were almost certainly rendered at 720p at least, which is HD albeit not full HD. They'll look fine. Better than season 2 of TNG anyway.

Yeah, but didn't they end up replacing a lot of that model work with CGI because it was shot on video, hence the disastrous season 2 Blu-ray?

Not that I've ever heard, afaik very few of the space scenes in TNG were CGI, the ones that were done in CGI were done towards the end too.
    They'll look fine. Better than season 2 of TNG anyway.

Define 'better'. The CGI NX-01 I don't think will look anywhere near as realistic as the 1701-D, how can it...its fake. At least the Enterprise D was an actual shooting model, and it transferred very well to HD because the detail was there to begin with. I've never found the CG ships to be very detailed at all, but time will tell.

They were able to distinguish so much detail that was already there to begin with, but lost in SD as can be seen here

trek-before-aft-640_s640x427.jpg?73b8e21685896c3f2859310aaa5adb253919b641

How they're going to do that again with a CG ship that is missing the detail in the first place is not clear, but I'd imagine the end result will be very impressive nonetheless.

Lack of detail can be seen here. Maybe the detail is there & is lost as the TNG shots were, but I doubt CGI would lose as much detail as a real model shot would. Still, I'm sure it'll clean up nicely

Enterprise_NX-01.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not that I've ever heard, afaik very few of the space scenes in TNG were CGI, the ones that were done in CGI were done towards the end too.
    I meant they replaced the models with CGI for the Blu-ray. I know they used the original filmed elements of the model where possible. But a lot of the screencaps I've seen from the season 1 and 2 Blu-ray definitely feature a CGI Enterprise and not one of the original models. I assume because a lot of the model work was shot on video and couldn't be used.

EDIT: actually after looking into this further it seems all the model work was shot on 35mm, but because these shots were used over and over again in different episodes they tended to get misplaced which is why there's some CGI shots.

actually after looking into this further it seems all the model work was shot on 35mm, but because these shots were used over and over again in different episodes they tended to get misplaced which is why there's some CGI shots.

Aye and look at the result... http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/images_s2review/wheresilence_probe.jpg

Its glaringly obvious that its cgi, the hd model shots are far superior to my eye

Trekcore have stated that while the live action footage will be in 1080p, the special effects were rendered at 720p for the original broadcast.

Now, Battlestar gallactica did the exact same thing with its special effects and it looks damn good on blu ray. The reason BSG rendered their effects at 720p was because they said they looked too obviously CGI at 1080. But I suppose it should be noted that BSG's effects are purposefully grainy to keep in line with the look of its live action footage.

Itll be interesting to see how they deal with it in Enterprise.

Trekcore have stated that while the live action footage will be in 1080p, the special effects were rendered at 720p for the original broadcast.

Now, Battlestar gallactica did the exact same thing with its special effects and it looks damn good on blu ray. The reason BSG rendered their effects at 720p was because they said they looked too obviously CGI at 1080. But I suppose it should be noted that BSG's effects are purposefully grainy to keep in line with the look of its live action footage.

Itll be interesting to see how they deal with it in Enterprise.

I think its a wise move, it would be like watching a video game to watch the NX-01 at 1080p.

Having never watch ENT (except the pilot), might be great to see them first time in HD... but DS9 in HD :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

johnmryan wrote: »
    Having never watch ENT (except the pilot), might be great to see them first time in HD... but DS9 in HD :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

The thing about DS9, is that all/most of the Dominion War scenes were CGI too. Now they looked fantastic, but dump them up to 1080p & I'm not sure the end result would be as good as how TNG looks in 1080p. They'll prob leave all CGI stuff at 720p from the previous report, which I think is a good tradeoff.

The thing about DS9, is that all/most of the Dominion War scenes were CGI too. Now they looked fantastic, but dump them up to 1080p & I'm not sure the end result would be as good as how TNG looks in 1080p. They'll prob leave all CGI stuff at 720p from the previous report, which I think is a good tradeoff.

How did they do TNG scenes? Battles and such? Models? Assume they eventually used CGI too?

How did they do TNG scenes? Battles and such? Models? Assume they eventually used CGI too?

Was model based, so the lighting etc all looks real & the way the can use scale in models make them generally more realistic looking. Not always though, its an art unto itself & very easy to make effects look shoddy, but Star Trek always got it right.

They did eventually use some CGI in TNG, but as I said earlier, it was near the end of the series. Even the glorious flyover shot from All Good Things was a model, there's simply no comparison with CGI...not at the budgets we're talking about here.

Don't get me wrong either, CGI can look quite amazing, & you can do things with it that model work simply wouldn't be possible for {The Dominion Wars etc}...but the higher the resolution, the more obvious its gonna get that the ship is CG

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

It gets better, everytime you watch it, as a lot of reseach must of went into it, some really great episodes, anything with the Andorians well worth seeing, but a few not so great episodes, have it on DVD & looking forward to getting the Bluray.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Daith

I thought they might have to redo all the CGI for DS9. Which would add to the cost of course. Though would be brilliant to alter WYLB to get rid of the reused stock footage. And maybe add Jadzia memories in there too.

• Advertisement

Daith wrote: »
    And maybe add Jadzia memories in there too.

Was there ever a proper explanation as to why that wasn't already done? Is it something to do with having to pay Farrel royalties or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭Daith

Was there ever a proper explanation as to why that wasn't already done? Is it something to do with having to pay Farrel royalties or something?

Any explanation I've read all boils down to money which is a pity.

http://ent.trekcore.com/bluray/01082013_s1pressrelease.html

I personally like the cover art. Looking forward to Season 4 in particular but still good to see this being released

http://ent.trekcore.com/bluray/01082013_s1pressrelease.html

I personally like the cover art. Looking forward to Season 4 in particular but still good to see this being released

I'll wait until TNG is finished then start on Enterprise but got to agree on Season 4.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/02/enterprise-s1-blu-ray-trailer-hd-screencaps-analysis/

Blu ray screencaps for Enterprise are up on Trekcore with comparison shots of the dvd screencaps alongside, for those that are interested

I'll be holding off on buying this set for a good while, but I'll be buying Season 3 of TNG day one! :)

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/03/review-star-trek-enterprise-season-1-blu-ray/

Blu ray review of Enterprise season 1.

CBS opted to upscale the sfx, and Trekcore have shown how the results are somewhat uneven, but nowhere near a disaster. Pity that a show from 10 years ago won't have fx as stunning as TNG blu ray, but there ya have it!

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/03/review-star-trek-enterprise-season-1-blu-ray/

Blu ray review of Enterprise season 1.

CBS opted to upscale the sfx, and Trekcore have shown how the results are somewhat uneven, but nowhere near a disaster. Pity that a show from 10 years ago won't have fx as stunning as TNG blu ray, but there ya have it!

ENT is somewhat different as the effects are all CG, literally no modeling was used. Now have those same effects in 1080p & I'm not sure how good that'd look, they'd prob look way out of place in comparison to the live action shots

ENT is somewhat different as the effects are all CG, literally no modeling was used. Now have those same effects in 1080p & I'm not sure how good that'd look, they'd prob look way out of place in comparison to the live action shots

Yeah, Trekcore have stated that some of the CGI effects dont hold up, but that most do. Still better than watching in SD DVD on a HD tv, but wont come anywhere near the quality of TNG due to budget restraints and the source material itself.

Apparently, the same review comments on the live action footage as being a noticeable upgrade from the SD version but still a tad on the 'soft' side - the main reason for this being that that is how it was shot.

The first 3 seasons of Enterprise's live action footage were shot with this 'soft' look, with only the fourth season being filmed differently. The 4th season will have more of a POP to the image because of the cameras used. Which is good I suppose as its the best season of ENT!

• Advertisement

More I think about it the more I think they should finish one series then take all the fan reaction and then look to see where they can improve on the next released series.

Advertisement