Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reign of the Dinosaurs - TV Show

• 02-12-2012 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

Apparently The reign Of Dinosaurs is on the Discovery Channel this week. I think it is on Thursday evening. But my info is a bit sketchy so you will need to check it out for yourselves.

Not sure if it will be any good I am afraid.

Just a heads up. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Starting thurs night at 9 .

Watched ep1. Not very impressed by the fx or the fights . Not sure who the target audience is but looked aimed at kids , and my 2 were not impressed at all.

They seem to have tried to humanise the dinosaurs characteristics and interactions. Just didnt seem realistic

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Owryan wrote: »
    Watched ep1. Not very impressed by the fx or the fights . Not sure who the target audience is but looked aimed at kids , and my 2 were not impressed at all.

They seem to have tried to humanise the dinosaurs characteristics and interactions. Just didnt seem realistic

Yeah, it seems that this is what put off most dinosaur fans. It was a strange hybrid of cartoonish show and violent dino mockumentary, and the mix didn´t work so well.

For me it was also the mediocre CG and the lazy sound effects (having a dinosaur make the exact same sound as a mountain lion doesn´t lend it a lot of credibility; people DO know what mountain lions sound like nowadays. It may have worked in 1933 for King Kong's brontosaur, but these are other times).

Planet Dinosaur was better but still inferior to WWD IMO, however outdated the latter may be.

Stuff like having the raptor trip over himself in the presence of the females was slapstick. Then they had the gigantoraptor ? doing his fancy mating dance and for a minute your thinking ok maybe this could ve been real then he goes n collapses a burrow . What was point of that if not for laughs .

As for the sea reptile having babies and been none the wiser about the sharks following along eating them as she squeezes them out . That just doesnt fit right

• Advertisement

Just wait until you see the Volaticotherium / Guanlong fight...
    Embarassing stuff altogether.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Owryan wrote: »
    Then they had the gigantoraptor ? doing his fancy mating dance and for a minute your thinking ok maybe this could ve been real then he goes n collapses a burrow . What was point of that if not for laughs .

And the fact that they gave it a Temminck's Tragopan's wattle without any noticeable changes only made it look more fake. U-U
    Galvasean wrote: »
    Just wait until you see the Volaticotherium / Guanlong fight...
    Embarassing stuff altogether.

Or the male Troodon's final fate...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I think the bit where the Diplodocus plays billiards in a tu tu is pretty awesome too :D

Rubecula wrote: »
    I think the bit where the Diplodocus plays billiards in a tu tu is pretty awesome too :D

Yeah, I thought...

... wait, WHAT? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Seriously (I can be serious too *puts on his serious face) there are a lot of things that are not so good about the show, but on a good side, it is not bad for feeding the imagination and interest of young hungry minds. Get them interested and then teach them the true awesomeness of those big famous creatures. How many of us watched Dinotopia? or Transformers Beast Wars. Nobody says they are true but they entertain and get you interested in things as kids. This show does the same job, in a (slightly) more enlightened way.

• Advertisement

If anything, I'd say Dinosaur Revolution/Reign of the Dinosaurs is less enlightened than things like Dinotopia or Beast Wars/ At least tehy were out and out fantasy, wheres this tries to pass it off as educational... It doesn't work for me. Shows like WWD and Planet Dinosaur proved taht a dinosaur show can be succesful without being needlessly dumbed down. Save the wackiness for the 'toons I say.

If anything, I'd say Dinosaur Revolution/Reign of the Dinosaurs is less enlightened than things like Dinotopia or Beast Wars/ At least tehy were out and out fantasy, wheres this tries to pass it off as educational... It doesn't work for me. Shows like WWD and Planet Dinosaur proved taht a dinosaur show can be succesful without being needlessly dumbed down. Save the wackiness for the 'toons I say.

Yeah, I agree.

This weeks ep. with the allosaurus reminded of a disney film the way they all came together to fight off the big bully (whatever it was called). Over all entertaining but not very informative

However the colourations of the various dinosaurs is a nice contrast to the traditional drab green/brown they are normally depicted.

The show kinda reminds me of arsenal, full of lofty ambition and looks good but lacking in its final execution and very much a mid table offering.................... ;-p

You obviously haven't been watching Arsenal lately. They've become very dull to watch; slow and ponderous...

You obviously haven't been watching Arsenal lately. They've become very dull to watch; slow and ponderous...

Sounds like our welsh dinosaur the "ryangiggsasaurus"

Advertisement