Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off-duty Garda seriously assaulted in his own home.

Options
  • 09-12-2012 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭

Get well soon to the member involved.

http://www.thejournal.ie/garda-stabbing-tallaght-708464-Dec2012/

AN OFF-DUTY garda is in hospital after he was stabbed a number of times during an aggravated burglary on a house in Tallaght yesterday.

Two men entered the house in the south Dublin suburb in the early hours of yesterday morning and demanded money from the off-duty garda.

During the course of the incident the man, who is under 30, was stabbed a number of times.

He was rushed to Tallaght Hospital with serious injuries.

The burglars also took a car but it was located a short distance away later in the morning.

Gardaí say that an investigation is ongoing and there have been no arrests at this stage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I won't go into specifics but from what I've heard, the details of this are quite disturbing. Unnecessary violence and a possibility he won't be able to return to work. I hope those responsible are caught fast before they hurt someone else.

Thoughts are with the garda involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

There's no tree high enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭kirving

The Gardai will put huge resources into finding these scumbags. I'm sure that they'll resist arrest too. ;)

Hopefully he recovers and gets back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I think the time has come for the Guards to be armed,the scum who carried this out did not care if the man lived or died.
    It seems that every low life no matter how far done the pecking order they seem to be are carrying weapons now,its time to even the score a little.

harr wrote: »
    I think the time has come for the Guards to be armed,the scum who carried this out did not care if the man lived or died.
    It seems that every low life no matter how far done the pecking order they are carrying weapons now,its time to even the score a little.
    He would not be armed in his own house off duty. The sad thing about this is that there are people out there prepared to attack people in their own homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Zambia wrote: »
    He would not be armed in his own house off duty. The sad thing about this is that there are people out there prepared to attack people in their own homes.

And that some people think that rehabilitation is the way to deal with these dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Are off duty cops in other countries not allowed to bring there service gun home? I had it in my head that they could bring it home:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

no its not a reason for them to be armed and comments here (by I'm guessing serving members) should be reported to ombudsman

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭The Maverick

sealgaire wrote: »
    no its not a reason for them to be armed and comments here (by I'm guessing serving members) should be reported to ombudsman

Saying what? An anonymous poster expressed their own personal opinion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Here you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭freddiek

a guard living in Tallaght?? well thats just asking for trouble innit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Let me guess, you don't think they should be armed in case they shoot protestors in mayo. I believe that was along the lines of your argument against mandatory sentences for assaulting members.

if you think something should be reported to the ombudsman then do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

That someone said that the Gardai should be allowed to keep a (pistol?) at home for cases such as this? Report away, my dear boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

I suppose you are one of these 'nice kind people' who thinks that no one can do any wrong and that they were misguided in their youth.

I really hope that you never become a victim of crime, that way you can keep your utopian notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Sickening stuff, I strongly believe that entering someones home to commit violence or burglary is just wrong, should carry huge sentences and people involved in it should be treated with the same respect they show to their victims.
    Regardless of the victims profession I hope they get caught and punished.
    I have had my car broken into, and had a couple of attempts on my house this time last year, I nearly caught the guy one night and Im glad now I didnt as I might have been in mountjoy now.
    I now have cctv, security sensor lights and a dog.
    My personal opinion is that if people want to commit burglary they give up their rights and should get what they deserve.
    As said above the do good'ers would sing a different song if was their bedroom at 5am or their beautiful daughter is raped by a burglar.

Hope the victim makes a full recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Pure scum.

I would like to see them getting a vicious beating from the Gardai in a cell being brought to justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Hope the Guard makes a full recovery and is able to return to service. Was this a targeted attack, or coincidental that the house these guys broke into just happened to be a Guards house? the story was unclear about that aspect so i just want some clarity.. Hopefully they are caught. As mentioned above by Fuh_Q, i am a firm believer that if someone breaks into a house they automatically give up their rights and should have to accept whatever happens to them therein...

H

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Zambia wrote: »
    He would not be armed in his own house off duty.

Yes, he would, if the Gardaí followed most other countries. Without endangering COC/Opsec, are current detectives allowed bring weapons home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bosh

Further update

Hopefully he'll make a full recovery. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

kub wrote: »
    I suppose you are one of these 'nice kind people' who thinks that no one can do any wrong and that they were misguided in their youth.

I really hope that you never become a victim of crime, that way you can keep your utopian notions.

I'm armed at night and I'm not a garda. Legally held shotgun, before the lefties start bleating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,488 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What has him being a garda have to do with it? Does this make the crime somehow worse than if it was you or I?

Nowhere (that I have read) has a link been made between him being a garda and the crime, it seems that it was a break-in and it happened to be a garda's house.

While I fully respect the work done by the Garda, I'm not sure why the story is with him being on off suty garda. Will the next story be about an off duty accountant. Possibly an off duty Tesco worker?

This crime is terrible, but no more or less terrible than if he hadn't been a garda. It's like when an off duty garda has a car crash etc, does this not just make it a car crash? Why bring his day job into it?

If it turns out that he was targeted because he was a garda, then I for one would argue that the people involved get life in jail as any attack o the garda etc is a direct attack on the state and as such once somebody crosses that line thay are never coming back to being useful to society.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What has him being a garda have to do with it? Does this make the crime somehow worse than if it was you or I?

Nowhere (that I have read) has a link been made between him being a garda and the crime, it seems that it was a break-in and it happened to be a garda's house.

While I fully respect the work done by the Garda, I'm not sure why the story is with him being on off suty garda. Will the next story be about an off duty accountant. Possibly an off duty Tesco worker?

This crime is terrible, but no more or less terrible than if he hadn't been a garda. It's like when an off duty garda has a car crash etc, does this not just make it a car crash? Why bring his day job into it?

If it turns out that he was targeted because he was a garda, then I for one would argue that the people involved get life in jail as any attack o the garda etc is a direct attack on the state and as such once somebody crosses that line thay are never coming back to being useful to society.

The same reason why they always seem to mention a person being a Garda if they go to court or do something wrong.

Thats unfair this is the ES Forum if a off duty member is assaulted in their own home its seems very good of the OP to highlght it here. If you cut one they will all bleed.

There was no mention by anyone of greater penalty for this attack due to his job. Chances are the offender did not attack a garda here he attacked a homeowner defending his home.

Stories of break ins where offendesr have come upstairs/bedroom areas in search of vehicle keys are horrendous by the very nature. Persons who commit such crimes are truly a cancer of irish society. Every person should desire their capture and imprisonment. Its understandable if they desire them to be drop kicked in the balls of a morning for good measure.:rolleyes:

The idea of someone invading the scared space of the walls which house your wife and kids is abhorrent. Especially to a Garda knowing full well the character of such people. Not to mention a person whose job demands they leave their family alone when night shift calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

If I am correct your title changes from Mr To Garda so Mr Joe Blogs becomes Garda Joe Blogs, say way as with a doctor, DR Joe Blogs. That's my thinking of it anyway, regardless this is the ES forum so it's relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

i hope that member makes a full recovery - such a savage and brutal ordeal to experience

my thoughts and prayers are with him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

msg11 wrote: »
    If I am correct your title changes from Mr To Garda so Mr Joe Blogs becomes Garda Joe Blogs, say way as with a doctor, DR Joe Blogs.

Rubbish. Where do people get this stuff from, seriously .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

L5 wrote: »
    Rubbish.

why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

WilcoOut wrote: »
    why?

Your title doesn't change .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

L5 wrote: »
    Rubbish. Where do people get this stuff from, seriously .

Well then I am at a loss as to why they see it relevant to tell us it's a Garda, maybe it makes the story more interesting or something :confused:..

Either way hope he makes a full recovery and the animals that attacked him caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Bosh wrote: »
    Further update

Hopefully he'll make a full recovery. :(

I am just hoping that the Eircom phonewatch add on the top of that report is a coincidence, otherwise it is disgraceful advertising.

I do hope to God that the victim makes a full recovery and that his eye is OK. Sometimes I wish though that the sentences in this country equalled or exceed the crime.
    I hope his colleagues catch these **star*s, and make their miserable lives even worse.

Advertisement