Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Safety ads from the 70's and 80's,which ones would you like to see again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Anyone remember the PSA (animated) with the cute family dog who (the instant he's put out for the night) turns into a wild rabid hunter killing the farmers sheep?

I'd love to see a video of that one again.

Wasn't there another rabies one where they showed the dog coming across to rabies-free Ireland inside a car on a ferry from presumably UK or France?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

FatherTed wrote: »
    Wasn't there another rabies one where they showed the dog coming across to rabies-free Ireland inside a car on a ferry from presumably UK or France?

Rabies kills. Agonisingly.

I think it was a Border Collie leaping off a fishing boat in a still pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Thats it.

I'd love to see some of these ads myself. The British ones are on TV Ark but reading about the Irish ones has me curious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Yes.I remember that well.They also showed a still of (presumably)someone with rabies in a hospital bed.

• Advertisement

Hold on it's all coming back now.

How we prevent it reaching Ireland?
    When going abroad, leave family pets with friends.
    Alert Customs, if you suspect an animal has been smuggled in or coming ashore illegally.
    Keep Rabies out of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Not on Irish tv, and teaching kids something important, but I can't help but find this one hilarious :D

Cienciano wrote: »
    Not on Irish tv, and teaching kids something important, but I can't help but find this one hilarious :D

or your Minister or Rabbi....the Catholic faith has been left out, hmmm?!

Did He Man know something we didn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

darkdubh wrote: »
    Yes,"roaming free he can be a killer".At the the end of the ad he returns home and sits in front of the fire where he turns to the viewers with a look on his face as if butter woulden't melt in his mouth.

Yeah, and weren't there still shots of poor savaged sheep in that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The one with the kids playing with a kite near electricity pylons and of course gets electrocuted. Watch out!

This old nuclear attack psa might be interesting to put on during prime time tv lol

When is that from (2nd video clip)? Is that the original music or did you add this, the music is from the Aphex Twin 1994 album, Selected Ambient Works II. The advert itself seems like its from the 1970s with music from 1994, weird!

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Here's a repository of Public Information Films from England.... brings back some memories.

http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/pifs/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

The ones about Northern Ireland were very alien to me.
    One had a woman with a pram not been able to pass a parked car, that was unfamiliar to her.
    Because I am from Dublin I took for granted she couldn't pass it because she would end up robbing it instead.

The ones about farm safety was huge and pretty tragic for afternoon viewing. The suggestion of kids drowning in uncovered barrels.

The message that dogs attack sheep should really still be broadcast. The threat hasn't stopped. I grew up in West Dublin in 1970'sand 1980's and there was a huge increase in incidents as the number of homes increased in housing estates.
    The same problems would have arisen at other countryside-new development areas since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Pity we don't have something similar for Ireland. :(

Another good public information film that came to mind (they're flooding back now) is the one telling people how to use the yellow boxes at junctions. Remember Michaelangelo flinging his yellow paintbrush in disgust at the drivers blocking up the junctions? And skipping merrily away once they'd got it?

A classic! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Does anyone else remember one about the dangers of plastic bags??? It shows from the child's point of view, a creepy man handing the child a doll in a plastic bag,then something about about putting it over your head:confused:. There was also one about the dangers of grain. Big piles of it. I remember a doll sinking into it....I remember a yard of sorts near my nanny's where there was a market. We used to pass a big pile of stuff..think it was sand or some sort of grain. I used to be terrified passing it.

The most memorable safety ad for me though was the British one about the child falling into a river with Donald Pleasance, as death doing the voice over...'I will be back, back, back':eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Remember this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Get out

Stay out

And get the fire brigade out.

Wasn't that a hard-hitting fire safety ad from Northern Irish TV?

fricatus wrote: »

- and another with some young mother from Dublin warning about the dangers of her daughter's nightie going up in flames. You had to look out on the label for IS 148 - "now I know that sounds like a robot!" :D

"Children are devils....but sure wouldn't ya die if anythin happened to them!"

Here are 3 PSAs-all from the same time,all about the same thing,all very scary. From both Irish and British television.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ghQVJ3qAcAU

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=fErrB8NfARE

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iJexHVklwKI

Karsini wrote: »
    I remember this was a three part advert on UTV, late 80s or early 90s. Would love to see it again.

Yep-I remember it now.The original ad was actually a one-part ad with those three warnings being delivered at the end;before then being split into a three-part commercial.During the original ad,a man is waiting frantically at the water tap for a bucket to fill while the blaze is rapidly spreading through the house...the voice-over says something like "....do not waste time filling a bucket of water,it may be your last act".And then the ad finishes with the screen going black and the the words of the closing lines appear as the voice-over says them loudly and with meaning:
    GET OUT
    GET THE FIRE BRIGADE OUT
    and
    STAY OUT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Playing hide and seek on the farm and the young lad falls into the slurry pit, scares the hell out of me still. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

Does anyone remember the one where there was a family or something in a car, and they were in the car when it was being crushed like they do for scrap yards?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Seasan wrote: »
    Here are 3 PSAs-all from the same time,all about the same thing,all very scary. From both Irish and British television.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ghQVJ3qAcAU

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=fErrB8NfARE

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iJexHVklwKI
    The link for the Irish one dosen't work there,here it is.

http://youtu.be/ghQVJ3qAcAU

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    Playing hide and seek on the farm and the young lad falls into the slurry pit, scares the hell out of me still. :(

I can vaguely remember that one...was that on British TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

I can vaguely remember that one...was that on British TV?

Apaches.

DVD.

A few years ago, I bought the Charley Says DVD which has 280 public information films. They're all English ones but some are hilarious (and some aren't).]

I got it from Amazon last xmas.I must say a lot of them were kinda repetitive.But the Joe and Petunia ones were hilarious,even though they're sending out a serious message.And there are plenty of creepy ads on it too-the rabies ones,"this is the fire that burnt the house that jack built","where are your children tonight",the ones about what to do in nuclear strikes and fallout,and of course "the spirit of the dark lonely water".....

Why oh why didn't Irish TV make a similar compilation :-(

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

Wow.That IS serious stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Wow.That IS serious stuff.

The end credits where they list the children (name / age / method of death for some) who died in farm accidents during 1976.

The COI Collection Volume 6: Worth The Risk is chock-full of great PIFs too.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/COI-Collection-Vol-Worth-Risk/dp/B005HPZWVA/ref=pd_bxgy_d_h__text_y

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    The end credits where they list the children (name / age / method of death for some) who died in farm accidents during 1976.

It doesn't get more morbid than that.

Twould make you wonder why PSAs like these are rarely on our screens anymore,and the ones we do see nowadays take a more "laid back" approach.Unfortunately,terrible tragedies are still occurring on farms-in the same way as people are still drowning,fires are still occurring,dogs are still left roaming free,too many people are still being infected with HIV/AIDS.....to cut it short,these type of ads need to be brought back with hard hitting messages in order to make people take real notice.

Good to see that there are still a lot of road safety ads at least-they really can't afford to be relaxed about that.

Does anybody remember these ones:

"Firehound says...'Never give fire a chance,grr-ruff'"

"Where dya think yer goin?Have ya no sense?Ye'll get killed if ya carry on cyclin like that!"

"(sound of laughter and glasses clinking)Your party could quickly become.......(sound of a crash,followed by church bells) A funeral.DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE."

"Speeding.Only YOU can stop the serial killer within you."

• Advertisement

And now for some of those short and not so sweet PSAs which lasted less than 30 seconds each:

"In the Glen Of Imaal,the military range lands are dangerous.Heed the warnings!!"

"Smoking in bed is a dangerous habit.Smoke your last one downstairs."

"It goes without saying.Protect yourself.Use a condom."
    (A silent Thom McGinty holding up a sign with those words,staring emotionlessly into the camera.He himself died of AIDS a short time later)

"Bees sting,mosquitoes bite.Antisan makes you feel alright".

Advertisement