Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Worth considering over an Avensis?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,431 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Sleepy wrote: »
    Worth considering over an Avensis?

If its 02 then yes.
    03 is in a different league to the carisma though.

Original tax disc holder too

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

W123-80's wrote: »
    I reckon its very well minded. Ya'd know straight away on viewing anyway.

She looks like a wee minter !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4278828

Crap pics but it looks good.

NCT 06/13 Tax 02/13
    2.0T 104000 miles
    €1500

Full-16116964.jpeg

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

MugMugs wrote: »
    She looks like a wee minter !
    Just gave him a call, sounds a very genuine, car proud guy. Has someone coming to see it tomorrow, if whoever that is doesn't take it I'm going to take a look on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

Just gave him a call, sounds a very genuine, car proud guy. Has someone coming to see it tomorrow, if whoever that is doesn't take it I'm going to take a look on Saturday.

he sold this recently too

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4083368

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

Those belt / chain driven? Tempted by the condition (or is it just an extremely good valet?)

looks nice enough. there are things that you cannot (or just don't want to pay that much) cover, like the kerbing on alloys, scuffs and dents, etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

h3000 wrote: »

Looks yellow to me:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Looks yellow to me:pac:

They're not that yellow :o Seriously though there grand in the flesh :)

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭mondymike

good car for a priest maybe?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4273826

• Advertisement

Nice looking Alfa with only 75k on the clock:
    Full-12394232.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3429105

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

mondymike wrote: »
    it needs a catholic convertor to pass the nct

Holy Hyundai Batman !!!! :eek:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Full-12394232.jpeg

Prefacelift...looks pricey to me at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Full-12394232.jpeg

I contacted him about that before. It has no service history and he has no interest in putting it through the NCT unless it doesn't sell by the time it expires. *Horrible* interior, but could be retrofitted with leather for around €100 (DIY).

Being a 2003 it hasn't done an NCT since Jan/Feb 2011 so there could be suspension issues since then.

Those TI alloys are nice but I would imagine they wouldn't take the potholes as well as a nice set of teledials.
    Prefacelift...looks pricey to me at least.

That one has the interior facelift (2003) so much nicer dashboard and dual climate control. It is overpriced considering the lack of sh.

Having real problems with Service Histories at this end of the market alright. Virtually everyone I've called about a car in the last week just says "no" when asked if there's any service history.

No service history at all is a huge red flag for me. Even if a car is over a decade old there should be at least a partial history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

Diesel Skoda Octavia. Usual ****e. 650 with 7 months NCT. No mention of milage...

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4278441

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭barura

Audi A4. 96, NCT and tax... 450euro. http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4277638

View2-16109788.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Spotted this earlier actually.

Clean 2003 1.8 Focus H/B with leather and NCT 10/13 for €999

View2-16111116.jpeg

113 bhp for 1.8 Tax isn't great but I'd say it's still cheaper to buy + tax this 1.8 than an equivalent 1.6 in similar condition. Leather is very rare in the Focus too.

spot on! I'd give it a try if I didn't buy my banger last week :P

Aragh, who'd want to take an Avensis off your hands! :p

• Advertisement

your mind tricks won't work on me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Having real problems with Service Histories at this end of the market alright. Virtually everyone I've called about a car in the last week just says "no" when asked if there's any service history.

No service history at all is a huge red flag for me. Even if a car is over a decade old there should be at least a partial history.

TBH i doubt youll find 10 years or older car with service history. ... ok you may get jag, or something special car with history, but regular ... no.

all cars what i had, i bought without sh. , before handle money over, i checked car, and my friend mechanic, had a glance, if it ok, then i gave money.... all car what i've sold, had no history, just my words, serviced every 10 k km, done this an that.

I wouldnt believe to anyone words either, so i do the checks.

I doubt youll find regular car in bangermonics section with service history from dealer or reputable garage, cos, people who have money, they more likely will trade in car, give away to relatives learn to drive, and drive that car to ground, or just bring to scrappy.

Well, thats mine 2 cents. ;)

Almost every car, regardless of original selling price will have been main dealer serviced for at least the first couple of years, after that most of us move to independents and once the car gets to the likes of ourselves maintenance tends to be done in driveways and small indies.

While I wouldn't expect many 12 year old cars to have full main-dealer service histories, I find it surprising that so few have partial service histories. I'd expect most to show stamped log books for the first 60/70k with a smattering of receipts / occasional indie stamps from that point on. It's far from the ideal but it would at least give an indication of what sort of mileage was covered in the car's first few years (e.g. 70k done in first 4 years, claimed mileage of 100k on a 12 year old car would raise an eyebrow as to whether the car had been left sitting up for an extended period or clocked).

I think it's for this very reason that so many Irish cars have their log books "lost" by dealers tbh.

Lack of visibility of maintenance really seems to be the biggest problem with the second-hand car market imo. I've thought before that it'd be cool to set up a website that dealers registered all new cars on and which verified garages (both dealer and indie) could enter details of services on. I'd certainly rather pay €20 for a full history of maintenance a car had undergone in it's lifetime than a carcheck report. Only thing that's stopped me from trying to launch it as a business is the threat posed by the existing car check sites who would have the market power to rob the idea and crush a start-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Almost every car, regardless of original selling price will have been main dealer serviced for at least the first couple of years, after that most of us move to independents and once the car gets to the likes of ourselves maintenance tends to be done in driveways and small indies.

While I wouldn't expect many 12 year old cars to have full main-dealer service histories, I find it surprising that so few have partial service histories. I'd expect most to show stamped log books for the first 60/70k with a smattering of receipts / occasional indie stamps from that point on. It's far from the ideal but it would at least give an indication of what sort of mileage was covered in the car's first few years (e.g. 70k done in first 4 years, claimed mileage of 100k on a 12 year old car would raise an eyebrow as to whether the car had been left sitting up for an extended period or clocked).

I think it's for this very reason that so many Irish cars have their log books "lost" by dealers tbh.

Lack of visibility of maintenance really seems to be the biggest problem with the second-hand car market imo. I've thought before that it'd be cool to set up a website that dealers registered all new cars on and which verified garages (both dealer and indie) could enter details of services on. I'd certainly rather pay €20 for a full history of maintenance a car had undergone in it's lifetime than a carcheck report. Only thing that's stopped me from trying to launch it as a business is the threat posed by the existing car check sites who would have the market power to rob the idea and crush a start-up.

This is bangernomics thread where's the bangers.?.?

No problem getting a fully stamped up history on any car if you buy from the right dealer, I know one with a dozen stamps of all marques, with half the main dealers in Ireland gone bang it's impossible to check up.

A quick chat on the phone can make up for no history when buying privately.
    On a car with no history look for good signs like good brand matching tyres (not necessarily all 4)
    Original number plates
    No spurious parts fitted
    NCT done on time
    Where the car lived ,can sometimes be a good indication but not always, ie gravel drive of a nice detached house as against a less salubrious location might mean more money for maintenance .
    After that its a seat of the pants drive.

If you need history increase your budget or spend the next year looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

the car what I bought this summer, toyota avensis '98, it was in terrible condition .... it was used as horse in construction site, and pulled a lot of thing. even under body most bolts was covered by the concrete. i took it for 500 quid this summer.
    Car had no service history, but there was toyota dealer sticker on windscreen with service last time (it actually wasnt overdue by time or mileage), car was brought from uk in 2000, bought from dealer, and I am only second owner.
    Originally owners was rich people, in they yard was few brand new bmw and mb, so i assume they never tried save money , and skip service or do themselves, car was properly serviced ... oils changes done in time .. however there was no stamps or anything prove.

To push car through nct, i had change shock absorbers, and steering rack, which cost to me other 450 quid ( i did, so labor free), and other 20 quid to change tires (i had already set of good tires from previous car). Car failed nct first time only over misalignment of rear wheels, and rear left indicator wasnt yellow enough as it should be .

Car seems to be comfortable , i really like it to drive.

All i am telling this stuff is, you cant get for cheap money car with history, but you may buy as cheap as possible, and fix it up. Cars are pretty simple things, main thing is to look is body , no rust or major damage... (as it is really expensive to get sorted), all the rest is possible fix or change.

yes, i goin keep that car for years to come, and will drive that car as long as possible , next owner will be scrapyard.

Get yer own thread. More bangers!

Asking 500 buy for 300 daysul

and drive til seized pun intended, crank/Garda seized

or even seized by cranky Garda

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4280422

Full-16124628.jpeg

Now here's what you'd call chancy if you need a big car asking 1050 for 05 chancy at 750 or even 500 ? No NCT no tax high miles and an unseen mark on door but 05

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4201667

Full-15734031.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Bigus wrote: »
    Now here's what you'd call chancy if you need a big car asking 1050 for 05 chancy at 750 or even 500 ? No NCT no tax high miles and an unseen mark on door but 05

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4201667]

Could be something seriously wrong with that, as its been for sale for months at a very low price, even back in early Sept with the exact same pics iirc.

I reckon if it was 100% it wouldn't still be for sale all this time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement