Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So you want to JTAG your xbox360? (POST 248 FOR xeBuild/16197 TUT)

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Lenny wrote: »
    yea downloaded them from that and copy'd it over to my xebuild that i had on a drive.. this is the error im getting
    any ideas?

nnjqmr.png

No use J-Runner it's an app/program like xebuild. It downloads all files needed automatically. jrunner

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

No use J-Runner it's an app/program like xebuild. It downloads all files needed automatically. jrunner
    everytime I use a GUI it always seems to go wrong, the command prompt will either build it, it give an error.
    I find gui's build it if its wrong, end up flashing and ****ing up

everytime I use a GUI it always seems to go wrong, the command prompt will either build it, it give an error.
    I find gui's build it if its wrong, end up flashing and ****ing up

J-Runner will not let you down. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

J-Runner will not let you down. :)

do I have to have to xbox on and at the xexmenu? jrunner updates it while its on?

do I have to have to xbox on and at the xexmenu? jrunner updates it while its on?

No it is on PC. When you create the updflash.bin file put it on usb key and flash through XELL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

As wotzgoingon said - Download J-Runner and do it that way. It's amazing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

As wotzgoingon said - Download J-Runner and do it that way. It's amazing :)

Time for one of your famed tutorials I reckon Danny. I had a look at Jrunner a while ago, & like Lenny, have a seriously bad aftertaste after being burned by GUI proggies in the past. Jrunner looked complicated, buttons everywhere & rather overwhelming particularly given my skepticism about the GUI method.

I had a quick look at it, read the .pdf that came with it, it explains each button, but no step by step.
    i must google a step by step tutorial
    i got as far as the 3rd button and got the "device not found" even though I had m nand put in there..

Fair enough :)

Download J-Runner from http://website.j-runner.net/

Open it up, it'll ask to update itself. The current version as of this writing is v0.2 Beta (283). XeBuild is at v1.05 Final and Dashlaunch at v3.04. You can see the J-Runner version you're running at the top in the title bar, and the Dashlaunch/XeBuild versions in the bottom of the window. After updating itself JRunner may need to be restarted or may restart itself.

jrunner_01.png

You need to add Dashboards to your J-Runner. So click the dropdown and select Add Dash. You can see I've already got a few dashboards installed.

jrunner_02.png

When you click Add Dash you'll get the above popup. Pick whatever dashes you want and click Add Dashes

jrunner_03.png

The dashboard files will be downloaded. This may take some time, you can see the progress in the console window. I have downloaded dash 14719 for this tutorial, you can see it's finished downloading :)

jrunner_04.png

Now you need to load your original nand. Since I modded Lenny's console I thought I'd use his bin file. Click the three dots button beside Source File and choose the nand file. It's E:\Lenny.bin in the example above.

If you've never added this bin file before or didn't use j-runner to modify it then you don't have the CPU key in the CPU key database. You can see if you don't have the CPU key because it won't be filled in automatically and the Keyvault section to the right will say Bad K/V. You'll need to paste the CPU key into the CPU Key input field. After getting it right the console window will update to say the CPU Key is correct and the Keyvault data will be unlocked giving you serial numbers etc. If this doesn't happen then click Re-Init beside the CPU Key field. Now to build the new dash.

jrunner_05.png

Choose your dashboard version in the XeBuild section. Since I know Lenny's console is a JTAG I picked the JTAG button. I also know I used the AUD_CLAMP wiring so I ticked that box. I also ticked the DashLaunch patches since I want to install Dashlaunch without having to manually install it. You can specify launch.ini options here too if you prefer but I use the same launch.ini on all my consoles so I've no need for this (Note: Currently Dashlaunch doesn't support 16202. It won't have any effect and using the 16202 dash won't execute your launch.ini for booting FSD or whatever on launch. So I'd stick with 16197 myself until Dashlaunch v3.05 comes out).

If you're using the glitch then you can select the glitch option, and pick your chosen glitch version (RGH1 or RGH2). If you don't know which one you have then contact your installer.

Click Create Image when you're ready to build the dash

jrunner_06.png

Since J-Runner hasn't seen this bin before it's asking for what type of console it's for. It's a Jasper 256MB Arcade I believe, so that's the option I picked. If it's a 512MB then go for that Lenny. Click OK when done and the dash will build. If it prompts you that it "Found an smc.bin. Delete it?" then say yes :)

jrunner_07.png

Information will fly by in the J-Runner console. It should end with the output as seen in the image. I've removed the keys and stuff for obvious reasons. Once it's done click Show Working Folder and you'll find a updflash.bin file there. Copy it to a USB stick and boot into Xell with the USB stick connected to the console. Job done :)

Brilliant, thanks a lot Danny! :cool:

As an aside, you mention it detects the smc.bin...am I to assume it uses the smc from the supplied image for the new image? So there's no faffing about with choosing an smc?

• Advertisement

It'll read the SMC.bin from the nand file supplied. It'll check if it's altered in any way, I assume from stock, and will prompt you to warn you it's detected a non-standard SMC in the nand. It says if you put it there then that's grand, but if you didn't or havn't a clue what you're doing then you should delete it - so delete it. It'll replace the SMC file with the right one if you ticked AUD_CLAMP in the XeBuild options.

It'll read the SMC.bin from the nand file supplied. It'll check if it's altered in any way, I assume from stock, and will prompt you to warn you it's detected a non-standard SMC in the nand. It says if you put it there then that's grand, but if you didn't or havn't a clue what you're doing then you should delete it - so delete it. It'll replace the SMC file with the right one if you ticked AUD_CLAMP in the XeBuild options.

Ah very clever, so if it gives you the option to delete it you may as well anyway as you originally said. Cool!

Thanks for the tut TV, I was clicking on the options from left to right. I have a jasper 512mb.. system setting show 355mb free..
    I am getting an error trying to do it. I am running the app as administrator
    here is the error and the details of it

2z71r0x.png

and this is the results box

atks48.png

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Users\me\Desktop\runner\xeBuild\data\nanddump.bin' is denied.
       at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
       at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
       at System.IO.File.Copy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite)
       at JRunner.MainForm.copyfiles()
       at JRunner.MainForm.createxebuild()
       at JRunner.MainForm.xebutton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
        Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.296 (RTMGDR.030319-2900)
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    JRunner
        Assembly Version: 0.2.283.25
        Win32 Version: 0.2.283.25
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/me/Desktop/runner/JRunner.exe
    System
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.296 built by: RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Windows.Forms
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.278 built by: RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.282 built by: RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Data
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.237 (RTMGDR.030319-2300)
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
    System.Core
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.233 built by: RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System.Xml
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.233 built by: RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
    System.Data.DataSetExtensions
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Data.DataSetExtensions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.DataSetExtensions.dll
    System.Numerics
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
    System.Configuration
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    f2c0zg3a
        Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.296 built by: RTMGDR
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    Accessibility
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
        <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Thanks for the tut TV, I was clicking on the options from left to right. I have a jasper 512mb.. system setting show 355mb free..
    I am getting an error trying to do it. I am running the app as administrator
    here is the error and the details of it

2z71r0x.png

Are you using the nand image TV made for/sent to you? Have you tried taking ownership of the file, & ensuring the security permissions are correct for it? Looks like Jrunner is being denied access?

strange this, when I go to the folder and delete the nanddump.bin
    and do it again
    this is what happens, would this flash be safe to use?

6x4g.png

160emic.png

EnterNow wrote: »
    Are you using the nand image TV made for/sent to you? Have you tried taking ownership of the file, & ensuring the security permissions are correct for it? Looks like Jrunner is being denied access?

I am using the nand image that TV gave to me on a cd from the first/orgional nand dump at the start.

From looking at the properties the security, 3 users have full permissions to read/write everything to the file. I have a sneaky feeling its something to do with win7. I installed it a few weeks ago and am not used to it.

I am using the nand image that TV gave to me on a cd from the first/orgional nand dump at the start.

From looking at the properties the security, 3 users have full permissions to read/write everything to the file. I have a sneaky feeling its something to do with win7. I installed it a few weeks ago and am not used to it.

Go into the advanced security options & take ownership of the file, & make sure you username & usergroup have proper permissions entered

EnterNow wrote: »
    Go into the advanced security options & take ownership of the file, & make sure you username & usergroup have proper permissions entered

can't see anything out of place?

e8v679.png

Try a folder in My Documents instead dude, it's a permissions issue with Windows 7 in any case :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Did you run JRunner as administrator? (Right click on JRunner, Run as administrator)

• Advertisement

Pov06 wrote: »
    Did you run JRunner as administrator? (Right click on JRunner, Run as administrator)

yea been always doing that..

anyway an update, moved the folder to another location.. as TV suggested moved it my documents and it worked no problems,win7 and its ****ty permissions!
    at version 16202 now, now to wait for dash launch to get an update
    I also ahve FSD V2.2 REV 725 should i get FSD3 ?
    one last question. when I view "my games" they're all missing the icons this happen to anyone else?
    I've cleared the cache also

You'll be needing to connect the console up to the network for the images I believe. Just make sure you have MS blocked via Dashlaunch (which is why I recommended sticking to 16197 or should have :D)

FSD3 is leaps ahead of FSD2, I highly recommend getting it :)

should i get FSD3 ?

Do it immediately :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

DashLaunch 3.05 has been released adding support for kernel 16202 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tglynn

Hi TouchingVirus,

I've tried finding someone to jtag my xbox but no luck so far. So my plan is to try and do it myself. The dashboard version is good to go. Where can i buy a full jtag kit online? Cables etc.

Regards,
    tglynn

tglynn wrote: »
    Hi TouchingVirus,

I've tried finding someone to jtag my xbox but no luck so far. So my plan is to try and do it myself. The dashboard version is good to go. Where can i buy a full jtag kit online? Cables etc.

Regards,
    tglynn

Jtag or RGH? If Jtag any electronics store will have what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭tglynn

Jtag or RGH? If Jtag any electronics store will have what you need.

HI,

JTAG. Is there a comprehensive list of what i'll need anywhere?

First page of this thread, tells you all you need. Cables and diodes or resistors and transistors and cables and also a reader but you can also make your own reader but it would be better to get a usb one as they are faster.

Advertisement