Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What's a reasonable/normal price for Waste Oil disposal on a service?

Options
  • 30-11-2012 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I was charged €15.52 for Environmental Waste Oil disposal from Mordaunt Motors in Clonmel. Last time it was 0.01. Cents!

Just wondering should I jump up and down, or did I get a special offer the last time?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

DonalB wrote: »
    I was charged €15.52 for Environmental Waste Oil disposal from Mordaunt Motors in Clonmel. Last time it was 0.01. Cents!

Just wondering should I jump up and down, or did I get a special offer the last time?

Galway county council do it for free. Might be worth checking out yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Local county recycling centre takes waste oil usually. Mine is three quid for entry and you can dispose of as much oil as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Galway county council do it for free.

Not for commercial customers, it's only free to the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

My local recycling centre will dispose of engine oil plus a lot of other stuff for €2.
    There are heaters which use waste engine oil, so maybe they should be paying you?

View2-15970224.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

That is a seriously excessive charge as most garages will get 1000 litres collected for a small charge or nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Did you get your car services by this garage and they have charged you €15 to dispose of 5+/- litres of oil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

In order for a garage to comply with regulations and laws related to storing waste products a number of substantial costs are incurred:

Bunded pallets for waste oil storage containers
    Spill kits
    Filter bins and in some instances crushers
    A county council issued permit to store waste oil, which usually carries an annual fee

A busy enough indy would also incur time overheads and charges involved in arranging collection/disposal of waste, particularly old oil and fuel filters, which can't go into recycle or general waste dumpsters provided by the likes of Greenstar, Ozo, Greyhound etc.

VAT is payable and rechargeable to you on this service too, so bear that in mind.

Between outlay on kit, payments to disposal companies etc., plus the floor space occupied to handle these materials correctly, it all adds up.

Whereas these costs would previously have been wrapped up or hidden in the margin on the service as a whole, it's now separated out in most cases and itemised.

Tyre disposal has gone the same way. It's mainly down the the principal now that the polluter pays. It's always been that way, you've ALWAYS paid if your waste was handled correctly, you just didn't realise it.

Finally, companies like Rialta who collect oil from garages free of charge have a minimum pickup of 1000L in most cases. That makes it even more inconvenient for garages to manage, at least for small operators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭cabb8ge

So how much is needed to charge to ensure garage cover costs and make correct money in? Is €15 ok .

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭DonalB

The garage is Mordaunt Motors in Clomel. It's a KIA dealedship (has previously been Hyundai), home of wesourceanycar.com, they used to have three seperate dealerships in Clonmel. So not a small garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

cabb8ge wrote: »
    So how much is needed to charge to ensure garage cover costs and make correct money in? Is €15 ok .
    Tbh I think the charge is a bit on the high side , but you're not going to get it free. Half it, maybe.

Did you query it with the garage ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

hi5 wrote: »
    My local recycling centre will dispose of engine oil plus a lot of other stuff for €2.
    There are heaters which use waste engine oil, so maybe they should be paying you?

View2-15970224.jpeg

You need a licence for those boilers iirc......due to the fact you're burning waste.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Ronnie Beck

I thought he walked in off the street looking to get rid of 10/15 litres of oil he had lying around at home. I never knew garages charged directly for overheads. I would of thought it was covered in the the cost of the service. Even so 15 euro seems an awful lot.

Advertisement