Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick improvement projects

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

lockman wrote: »
    This year, for the first time, Limerick city centre entered the 2012 Tidy Towns competition. Local businesswoman Helen O'Donnell was behind this initiative.

For anyone who is interested, here is the report from the Tidy Towns group on the city centre entry:
    http://www.tidytowns.ie/u_reports/2012/2012%20County%20Limerick%20Limerick%20City%20Centre%202121.pdf

The report makes for interesting reading, and there are some very constructive criticisms contained within.
    The tourist office is very clean and tidy but the building itself could look better. The Perspex roofing is covered with algae while paint is flaking on some of the green poles. Why is there a Tesco trolley bayin this location? The Discover Ireland computer on the external wallis not functioning. The plaza to the foreground was clean and litterfree but a bin was full. This location would be good for a statue or a piece of installation art.

I walked under it last week and it beggars belief that the Limerick Tourist Office could let the roof fall into such a shabby state. :o

It even won an architectural prize when it was built around 1990.

This is a focal point and a significant visual landmark especially for visitors to the city.

We fail miserably when it comes to maintenance of our buildings.

When spring time comes around each year, a few buckets of warm soapy water is all that is needed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

When AQP and the tourist centre opened first it looked really nice.

It's an eyesore now. Faded, dirty and drab.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

I walked under it last week and it beggars belief that the Limerick Tourist Office could let the roof fall into such a shabby state. :o

It even won an architectural prize when it was built around 1990.

This is a focal point and a significant visual landmark especially for visitors to the city.

We fail miserably when it comes to maintenance of our buildings.

When spring time comes around each year, a few buckets of warm soapy water is all that is needed here.

Limerick really does fail miserably when it comes to maintenance of its buildings!Just look at the Georgian architecture...it is suffering from poor investment and neglect. Georgian architecture is one of Limericks main strengths as it is the only city outside Dublin that is widely regarded as being the best example of late Georgian Architecture in the country!Why don't they cobble the streets in the area..add original ornate street lighting,plant trees etc. People I know from outside Limerick always say how much they like the Georgian area and in fairness you can't deny that it is a really nice part of the city even if it's not being maintained to it's full potential!!

The Civic Trust are going back to basics where they will pick a street per week for improvement. :cool:

Items like gum removal, weeding, power washing and the tackling of minor graffiti will be targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

Some movement on King Johns Castle redevelopment. Still no sign of a final design though.
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/lifestyle/entertainment/king-john-s-castle-to-close-in-three-weeks-1-4322301

• Advertisement

Castle redevelopment going ahead in 10 days time.
    http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/business/limerick-set-for-double-tourism-boost-1-4399768

Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Leo Varadkar visited the castle this week, and said an additional €3m will be spent along the riverside near the castle.
    Is this the area around City Hall do you think?

October is almost over and still no sign of the Quays by Clohessy's being started. :(

The poles are now in place on William Street for the real time passenger information signs.
    When they said before Christmas, they actually meant it this time!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Was on William St. today and didn't notice them. Can anyone get some pics?

Was on William St. today and didn't notice them. Can anyone get some pics?

Just poles at the moment, screens aren't on them yet.
    They're outside Superdrug/Limerick Sports Store.

• Advertisement

I'll check them out on Wednesday. Keep on eye out on the others which are meant to be going up around town.

@limerickcityco

Major road closure and traffic diversion will commence at Bishops Quay and Howleys Quay at 10am on Thur 22 Nov. until until Mon 21 Jan 2013

Anyone know if this is the start of the upgrade?

No idea. It does seem like a pretty short time frame though, and you have to take two weeks out of it for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Boardwalk on that section is a waste of money they should just pedestrianise it and it would cost less and make the area much more friendly

Id actually like them to sow lawns there instead of paving it. A lot of cities have green areas along the waterfront where people gather and sit in good weather.

plenty of space to do that put in modern street furniture, a fountain and a green space bingo much better than a boardwalk covered in dog sh*te

Anyone know if this is the start of the upgrade?

I was driving along Bishop's Quay today and I saw some workers preparing to put up signs which said something along the lines of "Riverside Improvement Project"

Must be the beginning of the boardwalk project tomorrow. Here's hoping anyway. The area has a lot of potential.

These temporary road closures and diversions will be implemented to enable major civil engineering works at Bishops Quay and Howleys Quay. (Limerick City Council)

They intend getting it done in just three months!

I wonder will they continue on with Harvey's Quay and Honan's Quay after that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I hate this over played River City image it would need serious work to ever market it as that

Look at Plassey its overgrown and kept very bad

They intend getting it done in just three months!

I wonder will they continue on with Harvey's Quay and Honan's Quay after that?

I imagine it'll take a lot longer than three months.
    Perhaps, three months is how long they need to close to traffic.
    They can probably work around the traffic after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

so I guess thats what those covered signs erected on Shannon Bridge are all about so. Have to admit I got very suspicious other day when I saw the mobile sign beign erected on the traffic island on the dock road side of the roundabout and thought they were going to go ahead and replace roundabout with the traffic lights they love so much. Hope they keep it in better repair than the boardwalk area they put beside the river by the Clarion - its a disgrace and would have been far nicer if they never put it it.

Exactly well said
    We need to be realistic here in Limerick and not market it as a river city

as said above the broadwalk by the Clarion isnt kept well and then you have all the scum that seem to hang there

bigpink wrote: »
    Exactly well said
    We need to be realistic here in Limerick and not market it as a river city

as said above the broadwalk by the Clarion isnt kept well and then you have all the scum that seem to hang there

How is marketing the biggest city on the biggest river in Ireland as a riverside city unrealistic?

Until its a huge improvement and use in a good way and kept well then maybe

Shur look at that marina wasnt that a failure

I think that falls with waterways ireland, they never dredged the abbey river which made the flows fairly dangerous, the board walks are an improvement but someone seems to have a fetish for them to be fair

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I imagine it'll take a lot longer than three months.
    Perhaps, three months is how long they need to close to traffic.
    They can probably work around the traffic after that.

It's a bit difficult finding and info on this but I did find this http://www.limerick.ie/cityquays/ . It says it'll be a 7 month built.

Also from looking at the first pic it looks like in front of Clohessys is to be fully pedestrianised.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭sleepyman

I think it looks ok-When you think of what was there before the Sin Bin there's been a vast improvement.
    It's a pity something can't be done about the ESB building.

I think those pics look great, massive improvement

sleepyman wrote: »
    I think it looks ok-When you think of what was there before the Sin Bin there's been a vast improvement.
    It's a pity something can't be done about the ESB building.

AFAIK, Gaelscoil Sairseal hope to be in it by the end of the school year.

• Advertisement

Pretty impressive I must say, and the good thing about it is that new retail units are already there in the Milanos building. I can almost guarantee new cafes and restaurants will open there. Not saying they'll be successful mind but you never know.

Looking at the last picture in that link, is there a boadwalk planned for Shannon Bridge?

Advertisement