Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

noodler wrote: »
    Did you guys all do the DLC with your maint character? Mine is SL 147 or something so I used a new character for fear that the DLC would be a cakewak otherwise.

Yeah I started a new pvp build for the DLC. Ended up starting it around SL50 I think. Doing it on an old build would have made it far too easy.
    Apart from Manus and Kalameet it's fairly easy going. Manus can be intense when solo and Kalameet has a **** load of hp but it's quite easy to avoid all his attacks. It's just about not messing up and getting hit!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,690 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

My problem is that for every successful summon, invasion etc (and I don't mean success as in winning - just in terms of it happening). There is a hell of alot of waiting about.

I think I am going to go to leave the DLC and go harvest some humanity in Tomb of the Giants.

I hate being in new areas and not being able to be in human form all the time.

There are enemies in the DLC that are much better than the skeleton babies for humanity farming. It'll be very obvious which ones.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 26,309 ✭✭✭✭noodler

There are enemies in the DLC that are much better than the skeleton babies for humanity farming. It'll be very obvious which ones.

Oh really?

I'll persevere until then so thanks.

Should I be fighting Astorias or the Dragon by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

You need to fight artorias fight.

As for humanity until you get to the other place, depths is still the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,309 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Depths is muck.

I'd rather get to Skele-babies if they were the only two options.

• Advertisement

Depths is muck.

The Depths is mucky alright!! :pac:

I've always had a better return with skel babies as well. Not having to run back to a bonfire makes a big difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Probably well known but I always do the Skelebabies with the ring of the evil eye, the serpent ring and enough humanity to it 410 item find :) You dont really have to worry about the toxic state as the evil eye almost cancels it out due to killing so many skelebabies.
    Went down for 10 minutes last night and arrived back with 35 humanity, once you get into a rhythm its easily the fastest way I know of getting humanity.
    The only annoying thing is you have to lower your shield and mash A everytime you kill a group of them though because the next baby gets summoned meaning the one you killed disappears along with the humanity drop. This happens so fast that you can miss drops very very easily.

The DLC I started as lv50 but finished at 65 iirc, heading back as a new lv70 build with Princess guard miracles to be a helping hand and invasion protector :D Many people on the PC? I've been tempted to buy it :o

The game is extremely active right now. Summoning / being summoned in the forest at SL100 - 125 is great fun!

I made over 500k souls in about an hour last night after being summoned. We must have killed over 20 forest covenant invaders before the host was finally taken out.

If you want to farm souls, go to the steps near the hidden bonfire and summon one or even two if you like and just run around waiting for invaders. They come thick and fast and you get a tonne of souls for taking them out as most seem to be around SL100.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Just started playing Dark Souls again on NG+ with the new DLC. Currently a big tank with Elite Knight armor+10, a Black Knight Halberd+4 and an Iron Tower shield +6. Got through Blight Town without dying once and managed to whip Sif and Quelaag fairly easily. Got through Sen's fortress without dying once but I'm currently getting owned by the Iron Golem:(
    Only just found out about Iron Tarkus recently, I'm kicking myself that I never thought about looking for a summon sighn near the Iron Golem. Tarkus and I are gonna kick some Golem ass this eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

getting owned by the Iron Golem:(
    This is one of my favourite elements of DS, how the various builds change your experience of the game. For most the Iron Golem is one of the easier bosses, particularly if you have a ranged attack or are agile, but I could see how a tank would struggle dodging around the ankles of the Golem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Big Knox wrote: »
    The game is extremely active right now. Summoning / being summoned in the forest at SL100 - 125 is great fun!

I made over 500k souls in about an hour last night after being summoned. We must have killed over 20 forest covenant invaders before the host was finally taken out.

If you want to farm souls, go to the steps near the hidden bonfire and summon one or even two if you like and just run around waiting for invaders. They come thick and fast and you get a tonne of souls for taking them out as most seem to be around SL100.

I only found out that the pvp area in the DLC works at levels 1-50, 51-100 and then 101-200 (iirc). Looks like a lot of people are making new builds for those levels and playing through. I even abandoned tmy LV70 cleric Idea because its null and void really and I'm back running round the undead burg again.

For the Golem, if your a tank you need to get to him before he leaves the bridge, it will shorten the fight a lot if you and Tarkus can get to him there, hack away at his shins till he wobbles then change to the other foot ;) fighting him in the center is safer though but will take longer :pac:

I started a LV50 Strength build but haven't got past LV12, came back to the Taurus Demon and Literally cant move without being summoned/Invaded. Spending time protecting players from the high level gear invaders who skipped the Taurus. Its awesome. Also amazed at how many new guys are playing, got a message asking if the first Black night was boss :D
    There was one dude who was hiding on the rooftops throwing the toxic dung and using a lightning Avelyn crossbow >:( I mean that is just out of order.

TL/DR
    Must be a testament to how good the game is if its still this active a year+ on. Its definitely broke into my top 3. Pretty sure its the most hours I've ever given a game :o

Danonino. wrote: »
    I only found out that the pvp area in the DLC works at levels 1-50, 51-100 and then 101-200 (iirc). Looks like a lot of people are making new builds for those levels and playing through. I even abandoned tmy LV70 cleric Idea because its null and void really and I'm back running round the undead burg again.

For the Golem, if your a tank you need to get to him before he leaves the bridge, it will shorten the fight a lot if you and Tarkus can get to him there, hack away at his shins till he wobbles then change to the other foot ;) fighting him in the center is safer though but will take longer :pac:

I started a LV50 Strength build but haven't got past LV12, came back to the Taurus Demon and Literally cant move without being summoned/Invaded. Spending time protecting players from the high level gear invaders who skipped the Taurus. Its awesome. Also amazed at how many new guys are playing, got a message asking if the first Black night was boss :D
    There was one dude who was hiding on the rooftops throwing the toxic dung and using a lightning Avelyn crossbow >:( I mean that is just out of order.

TL/DR
    Must be a testament to how good the game is if its still this active a year+ on. Its definitely broke into my top 3. Pretty sure its the most hours I've ever given a game :o

One thing I've never done in either souls game is a tank style character. While it was pointless in Demon's due to armour being pretty much worthless it is obviously very viable in Dark with poise and much improved armour stats. I've never had anything above the fastest roll possible on all my characters!

I think I'll give it a try on my next playthrough. Full Giants with Greatshield of Artorias and something big and heavy hitting!! Although I know I will be too used to dodging everything and end up fat rolling and failing badly until I can change my playstyle!! :pac:

So is blighttown still laggy as feck in the Ps3 version. Currently very tempted to go back to the PS3 as below SL120, pvp is very quiet on the PC. 3 nights darkmooning and i'd say i'd be lucky to have gotten 10 invasions in the 3 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,130 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

ya blightown is still laggy, but the amount of activity on the PS3 more than makes up for it IMO. All areas seem to be busy. Got the moon light great sword first attempt at seath. turns out the bonfire in dukes archive is now added to the warp list.

i have to back down to the depths myself as i never activated the bonfire down there last run :o

So is blighttown still laggy as feck in the Ps3 version. Currently very tempted to go back to the PS3 as below SL120, pvp is very quiet on the PC. 3 nights darkmooning and i'd say i'd be lucky to have gotten 10 invasions in the 3 nights.

It's still laggy but only really on the way down from the upper level which I don't see as a problem.

I farmed 20 souvenirs in tomb of the giants the other night in about 2 hours so I would say it is definitely worth it for the activity. There's traffic everywhere at the moment it's great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The Iron Golem barely lasted fifteen seconds once I summoned Iron Tarkus:)

That ledge just after the ramp in Anor Londo has to be one of the most frustrating sections of the game. Yesterday eve I was getting knocked off the narrow ledge again and again by the Silver Knight's lightning arrows. On about the 7th time of trying I veered right onto the ledge after running up the ramp and got smashed in the back by a lightning arrow and propelled forward. Luckily, when the Silver Knight in front of me ran over to try and finish me off with his sword he ended up falling off the ledge. I got up, healed myself and carried on to the next bonfire (The one with Knight Solaire) knowing that I had gotten very lucky:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

okay, i am downloading dark souls on steam right now. which mods do i need to install to make it atleast half decent port? there was some 1080p mod and enchanted graphics?

The Iron Golem barely lasted fifteen seconds once I summoned Iron Tarkus:)

That ledge just after the ramp in Anor Londo has to be one of the most frustrating sections of the game. Yesterday eve I was getting knocked off the narrow ledge again and again by the Silver Knight's lightning arrows. On about the 7th time of trying I veered right onto the ledge after running up the ramp and got smashed in the back by a lightning arrow and propelled forward. Luckily, when the Silver Knight in front of me ran over to try and finish me off with his sword he ended up falling off the ledge. I got up, healed myself and carried on to the next bonfire (The one with Knight Solaire) knowing that I had gotten very lucky:)

Just buys a few poison arrows and shoot them twice then go make yourself a sandwich. That place broke my heart so many times.

As for mods, try the mods nexus site.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Quick question regarding this game.
    Haven't bought it but was wondering which would be the better version between PC and PS3? And if I bought a PS3 copy second hand do I need to buy an online pass or anything?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Haven't bought it but was wondering which would be the better version between PC and PS3? And if I bought a PS3 copy second hand do I need to buy an online pass or anything?

If you are interested in the Online side of things I would definitely recommend the PS3 version as it is very active at the moment and it can really make a big difference to your play throughs.

There's no pass needed, so a second hand copy would be fine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,130 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

CastorTroy wrote: »

i have both ! , PC graphics wise is better and nearly without lag. The PS3 version has a way way more online activity. I would go for the PS3 version. I went straight back to it after the new content came out for the PS3. Second hand version is fine, no pass or anything needed

i just got myself pc version and hands down, PC version looks a lot better. in fact i can see more of a game and its nasty surroundings, wheres on ps3 version everything looked very shiet and navigating was a pain in a hole ( it might be just me )
    Just if you are going for PC version, then make sure you got a xbox controller. Its unplayable on mouse and keyboard.

dont know about online activity yet. Cant say i miss twink ****tards level 1 with latest weapons and electricity on their weapons. I will need to look in to and make sure my online on pc works properly. i can see signs, but i cant read them, might be something wrong.

oh yeah, main **** about PC version - games for windows software, lucky enough it worked for me properly this time ( mad, i know )

In fact i can see more of a game and its nasty surroundings, wheres on ps3 version everything looked very shiet and navigating was a pain in a hole ( it might be just me )

If you couldn't see anything to the point that navigating the areas was difficult then you need to look at your PS3 and TV set-up. Definitely not an issue with the game on PS3!

Big Knox wrote: »
    If you couldn't see anything to the point that navigating the areas was difficult then you need to look at your PS3 and TV set-up. Definitely not an issue with the game on PS3!

its low resolution and that anti alliaisng in the bacground that pissed me off. I can see it way more clear on PC, then i sow it on TV. It just a lot more clear on PC, but that might be just me.

as not to piss off anyone ( as i can see some people can take it personally ). I would recomend ANY version of this game on ANY platform of preference. Its a great game and not worth missing out. BUT i would personally go for PC version.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Thanks for the opinions. I'm not someone who worries too much about grpahics. I am a Wii player after all. :) But if they both play the same, I may just get the PS3 version since I see it's £10 second hand in Smyths

okay, i am soooo sorry i said that games for windows was working for me!!! :mad:

so i came back to play again and there are no games saves of my warrior! ****ING GREAT! looks like it ****ed up in the head with game saves... i need to start over again... any ideas how to fix that?

GAMES FOR WINDOWS, PLEASE GO TO THE NEAREST DITCH AND DIE IN AGONY!

its low resolution and that anti alliaisng in the bacground that pissed me off. I can see it way more clear on PC, then i sow it on TV. It just a lot more clear on PC, but that might be just me.

as not to piss off anyone ( as i can see some people can take it personally ). I would recomend ANY version of this game on ANY platform of preference. Its a great game and not worth missing out. BUT i would personally go for PC version.

If that personal comment was aimed at me you've got it very wrong mate ha! :pac:

I'm just pointing out the PS3 version looks fine as is. It's not going to be as smooth as the PC version of course but it's absolutely fine as is and for someone coming into the game having not played it before the extremely active online community would heavily outweigh slightly clearer visuals imho. But you are of course dead right, it's still an amazing game on any platform!! :)

okay, so i almost cought up to my old save. looks like games for windows had a brain fart and did not recognised me as logged in.... hence i started getting awesome achievements like " find your first kindle fire..." :rolleyes:

what really sucks now i was lucky enough to get black knight to drop black knights sword, which he ofc did not droped this time... so yeah. good times!

did i say that GFWL sucks? :pac:

It's mean but funny, the 4 kings bit is one of the funniest things i've seen in a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Got to
    Manus
    last night. God he's tough. His attacks appear to have a huge AOE. Has really high magic defence too as a Crystal Soul Spear with 45 INT is taking less than 10% off his health! (compared to 25% with
    Artorias
    )

Is the DLC finished when I beat him?

Advertisement