Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

solarith wrote: »
    He's moving up the ladder, it's paving the way for the big job at Kildare, best of luck to him too!

No, that job will go to either Glen Ryan or Anthony Rainbow.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Senior Hurling Championship Quarter-Final - Clare v Waterford will take place on Sunday June 2nd

Senior Hurling Championship Semi-Final - Cork v Clare or Waterford - Sunday June 23rd

Senior Football Championship Semi-Final - Waterford v Kerry or Tipperary - Saturday June 15th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Ando's Saggy Bottom

I still think its a strange move. If it was the managers job youd say best of luck to him, go for it. But in a background role? Hes just left a managers job in a county that in truth is not much further behind.
    That Kildare team have been hyped up for a few years now and are just not good enough imo. They consistently fall short in Leinster and the All Ireland series, they havent got the quality of players when it comes down to it. They bent over backwards to get Seanie Johnston in because they didnt have a scoring forward and that didnt bring them on any further either.
    Maybe hes looking for a less full on role for a year or two? He put a lot into the Wexford job from what I know. He has s job and a young family too so maybe it suits better to just be in a less demandng coaching role for a year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 abbeysideFB4L

todays harty cup results anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭ManFromCheese

football in the county is a waste of time, pour our resources into hurling like kilkenny do. we'll never be competitive at football so the sooner thats realised we can push on with the hurling.
    first things first though and get rid of michael ryan before he sets waterford hurling back even further. its becoming a bit of a joke now whats going on and ryan wont ever do the decent thing and walk himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

football in the county is a waste of time, pour our resources into hurling like kilkenny do. we'll never be competitive at football so the sooner thats realised we can push on with the hurling.
    first things first though and get rid of michael ryan before he sets waterford hurling back even further. its becoming a bit of a joke now whats going on and ryan wont ever do the decent thing and walk himself.

Enlighten us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

The mans only in the first year of his term.Give him a chance.:rolleyes: Waterford will be rebuilding for the next few years so give Ryan a chance to do his job.For the short term it doesn't matter if Michael Ryan or Jesus himself is managing the team Waterford won't be in a position to challenge for an all ireland again for another few years.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

Strabally by a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

WUM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

a change in manager is the last thing we need at the moment. he was never the ideal man for the job imo and he was found out badly on the line against Cork in the AI quarter final but without question he has to get a second season at it to keep stability. You have to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he is still building a team and has a chance to put things right next year.
    Im surprised there arent more posts like yours calling for his head considering we were calling for Davy Fitz' with 4 years while he was consistently taking us to AI semi finals. The Cork defeat was hard to take, as in fairness under Davy when we were ahead in tight games always seemed to be able to close it out. That defeat we sat back and left Cork snatch it and the decisions on the line are partly what cost us. But there is nothing to be gained by changing management at this stage.

As for your comments on waterford football... well I think you know urself what ur trying to do there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭mccarthy37

De La Salle have registered 10 wide's they have a real uphill battle here as Newmarket are more accurate with 1 wide and beginning to play with real confidence they look like the team that will win today. Very dissappointing display from Salle. If Newmarket get ahead here it will be curtains for De La Salle. Half time very nervous. Lets hope for a better second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭thesultan

Goal in the last minute to win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

a change in manager is the last thing we need at the moment. he was never the ideal man for the job imo and he was found out badly on the line against Cork in the AI quarter final but without question he has to get a second season at it to keep stability. You have to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he is still building a team and has a chance to put things right next year.
    Im surprised there arent more posts like yours calling for his head considering we were calling for Davy Fitz' with 4 years while he was consistently taking us to AI semi finals. The Cork defeat was hard to take, as in fairness under Davy when we were ahead in tight games always seemed to be able to close it out. That defeat we sat back and left Cork snatch it and the decisions on the line are partly what cost us. But there is nothing to be gained by changing management at this stage.

As for your comments on waterford football... well I think you know urself what ur trying to do there

I think the subs were the main difference all Corks subs made a difference compared to the lack of impact from Waterfords subs.I know Shane Walsh wen't off injured but Cork were without Conor Lehane and Niall McCarthy and Eoin Cadogan were not fully fit.I also think Waterford just couldn't live with Cork when Cork made that huge push for the finish line.Anyway 07 and 2010 were close affairs so i think Cork were finally due a bit of luck against Waterford.:pac:

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

i think ryan is a complete bluffer, has no pedigree in hurling management and ive heard a lot of the players arent happy. with ken gone i think its a poor set up, ray murphy hasnt much profile or experience and cullinane is gash as a coach, i think the right man is needed for these young lads coming through, ryan aint that man for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭deisebhoy17

i think ryan is a complete bluffer, has no pedigree in hurling management and ive heard a lot of the players arent happy. with ken gone i think its a poor set up, ray murphy hasnt much profile or experience and cullinane is gash as a coach, i think the right man is needed for these young lads coming through, ryan aint that man for sure.

I think by bringing in Ray Murphy hes trying to replicate what he had going at DLS as much as possible. But intercounty management is a totally different ball game and Id agree this appointment dosent really inspire much in the way of confidence. You say with Ken gone its a poor setup, to be honest Ken had the least amount of experience as a selector/coach out of the whole lot of them and while he is a respected figure in the dressing room the general consensus was that he was too close to a lot of the players on the panel having played with all of them for many years.

Firstly, congratulations to DLS on getting to another Munster final and extending the unbeaten run they have in the Munster Club Championship, but they did it the hard way by all accounts. It sounds like they never got going, and will have to up it in a big way if they are to beat Thurles in the final.

On Ray Murphy, I think this is getting far too much attention. In other counties, selectors are rarely the focus of much discussion. Murphy obviousy has had some success being around DLS teams in recent years, and it would only seem natural for such a strong team over the last four or five years to have some representation on the county side.

I think Murphy is unlucky in that he's replacing a legend of the game, and entering an unstable management team. I think Waterford fans need to temper their expectations regarding potential candidates for these roles for the short-medium term.

What is very interesting in all of this is that Paul Flynn is going to hop in his car and drive up to Down for the next year to assist their team. He has been involved with Carlow U21's as well, and seemed to have some success with them. Why wasn't someone like this approached, and if he was why did he choose to turn the offer down?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Where is the De le Salle Thurles Sars game going to be played.?

HillFarmer wrote: »

Cork I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Toss for home & away would be a great idea! Nowlan Park would be great venue too, no chance of Munster council doing that I'd imagine.

[

What is very interesting in all of this is that Paul Flynn is going to hop in his car and drive up to Down for the next year to assist their team. He has been involved with Carlow U21's as well, and seemed to have some success with them. Why wasn't someone like this approached, and if he was why did he choose to turn the offer down?[/QUOTE]

i think the travelling expenses for going to Down would be better than going to carriganore if ya know what i mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

HillFarmer wrote: »

2pm 25th nov in cork...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

i think the travelling expenses for going to Down would be better than going to carriganore if ya know what i mean.

Yeah because I'd say Down invest so much money in their hurling team and it's not like it's far away and that the time and money investment would be big or anything :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deise_Davy

hardybuck wrote: »
    Firstly, congratulations to DLS on getting to another Munster final and extending the unbeaten run they have in the Munster Club Championship, but they did it the hard way by all accounts. It sounds like they never got going, and will have to up it in a big way if they are to beat Thurles in the final.

On Ray Murphy, I think this is getting far too much attention. In other counties, selectors are rarely the focus of much discussion. Murphy obviousy has had some success being around DLS teams in recent years, and it would only seem natural for such a strong team over the last four or five years to have some representation on the county side.

I think Murphy is unlucky in that he's replacing a legend of the game, and entering an unstable management team. I think Waterford fans need to temper their expectations regarding potential candidates for these roles for the short-medium term.

What is very interesting in all of this is that Paul Flynn is going to hop in his car and drive up to Down for the next year to assist their team. He has been involved with Carlow U21's as well, and seemed to have some success with them. Why wasn't someone like this approached, and if he was why did he choose to turn the offer down?

Isn't Ray Murphy the lad who was celebrating in Walsh Park last year when Na Piarsaigh beat Ballygunner. What a county man he is!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 hurlerford

Deise_Davy wrote: »
    Isn't Ray Murphy the lad who was celebrating in Walsh Park last year when Na Piarsaigh beat Ballygunner. What a county man he is!!

How do you know he was celebrating, did you see him?

Deise_Davy wrote: »

This sort of messing is why Waterford had to resort to outside managers for about 15 years. While we're at it, I heard Ray Murphy has voodoo dolls made for all the Ballygunner players, and his black magic was responsible for them losing to Na Piarsaigh last year.

These sort of rumours don't do anyone any favours. They're as silly as those about the Ballygunner players cheering the opposition up in The Uluru when DLS were playing in Munster and All Ireland finals.

This sort of messing is why Waterford had to resort to outside managers for about 15 years. While we're at it, I heard Ray Murphy has voodoo dolls made for all the Ballygunner players, and his black magic was responsible for them losing to Na Piarsaigh last year.

These sort of rumours don't do anyone any favours. They're as silly as those about the Ballygunner players cheering the opposition up in The Uluru when DLS were playing in Munster and All Ireland finals.

I wouldn't be too bothered with that lad now to be honest. If he had his way there would be 30 Ballygunner players on the Waterford panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭quintain

This sort of messing is why Waterford had to resort to outside managers for about 15 years .,..

Well said, I agree with every word (for what it's worth !!)

Seems to be a lot of hot air about the choice of selectors for the County Minor team.

My understanding is that 3 of 4 were selected, all from the City/East, and one spot was kept open for someone from the West. Not sure were there many interested parties denied on the night or what, but I really don't see what the problem is.

We talk of the best men for the job, what's to say the selector eventually selected from the West would not be better than the others?

There will always be bias towards a selectors own club, that is inevitable. The problem is though that if you have selectors there from the City alone lets say, they're most likely only going to have seen players in the City play. That would be a huge disadvantage to players in the West.

Better the devil you know that the one you don't, and so by extension you pick the lads you're familiar with. A player might have glowing reviews but maybe a selector won't have seen him, and might decide 'Ah sure he cant be as good as this fella because he plays in division 3 whereas this guy plays in division 1'.

So I think it is important that both sides are represented. There is definitely still a bit of venom from both sides towards each other at times, but purely on a logical point of view you need to pick selectors that will be familiar with different parts of the County and the players to be found there.

Also, I really don't think it's worth the reaction it seems to be getting anyway, whether the County Board are right or wrong.

Much more pressing issues would be how these players are going to be supported financially.

Seems to be a lot of hot air about the choice of selectors for the County Minor team.

My understanding is that 3 of 4 were selected, all from the City/East, and one spot was kept open for someone from the West. Not sure were there many interested parties denied on the night or what, but I really don't see what the problem is.

We talk of the best men for the job, what's to say the selector eventually selected from the West would not be better than the others?

There will always be bias towards a selectors own club, that is inevitable. The problem is though that if you have selectors there from the City alone lets say, they're most likely only going to have seen players in the City play. That would be a huge disadvantage to players in the West.

Better the devil you know that the one you don't, and so by extension you pick the lads you're familiar with. A player might have glowing reviews but maybe a selector won't have seen him, and might decide 'Ah sure he cant be as good as this fella because he plays in division 3 whereas this guy plays in division 1'.

So I think it is important that both sides are represented. There is definitely still a bit of venom from both sides towards each other at times, but purely on a logical point of view you need to pick selectors that will be familiar with different parts of the County and the players to be found there.

Also, I really don't think it's worth the reaction it seems to be getting anyway, whether the County Board are right or wrong.

Much more pressing issues would be how these players are going to be supported financially.

I think at underage you need a spread. You've got limited time to work with the squad, and as you say - you may be looking at lads for the first time and only get a few opportunities to try them out.

Seniors have a bit more time and flexibility to work with players. It might take years to turn a prospect into a senior player. At this level I think it should be more about the best guys available for the job rather than going at it geographically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

I thought the minor championships are played on a countywide basis? If so it shouldn't matter where the selectors are from no?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement