Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2011-2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭doz

Would expect to see Seamus starting full forward with BOS and Barron either side. Think Maurice has to be wing forward if we are to utilise his ability to run at players, leaving either Jake or Sully in the centre. Either player can then drop to midfield when required. I don't see any point in leaving a man on Hogan, we won't win any ball in the air and better for us to have players running at him than trying to beat him in the air.

The critical element as has already been pointed out by numerous posters is to win the midfield battle to ensure we have the opportunity to deliver low ball to the forwards or get them running through the centre. If we don't do this we have no chance. Sounds terribly simple but we have to box clever to have a chance. We don't have the calibre of players of KK yet and are relying on a lot of elements to go our way,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭deisedude

robopaddy wrote: »
    13 and 15 are very light. Especially up a against a powerhouse KK defence. would have made room for one of them not both. Would have started Brian O'Sullivan dont think Barron is ready for this level yet. Then again I suppose we are stretched

I don't think we have an option. Really can't see us winning. Having no bench options in this hot weather is going to come against us I feel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

deisedude wrote: »
    I don't think we have an option. Really can't see us winning. Having no bench options in this hot weather is going to come against us I feel

Yeah I definitely see where you coming from alright, not helped with Mahony and Paudie Prender joining Daniels and O'Halloran on the injured list and that Shane Walsh isn't fit to start either. Gavin O Brien also a loss as he would have been up there in the pecking order after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Yeah I definitely see where you coming from alright, not helped with Mahony and Paudie Prender joining Daniels and O'Halloran on the injured list and that Shane Walsh isn't fit to start either. Gavin O Brien also a loss as he would have been up there in the pecking order after that.

jaysus have we anyone at all on the bench? surprised I didnt get a call up myself at this rate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

jaysus have we anyone at all on the bench? surprised I didnt get a call up myself at this rate

Struggling to think of any forward to bring on during the game. Martin O Neill? Or bring Tony/Barry/ Twomey on and push Foley or Moran into the forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

WumBuster wrote: »
    Struggling to think of any forward to bring on during the game. Martin O Neill? Or bring Tony/Barry/ Twomey on and push Foley or Moran into the forwards.

Maybe they could convince Eoin Kelly to come back*

* apologies to all the children in Africa :(

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

WumBuster wrote: »

Remember Ray Barry was going well enough to be considered first choice substitute in the forwards against Clare.

I suppose they'll have to draw in some of the extended panel onto the bench with the injuries. Donie Breathnach, Eamonn Murphy and Cormac Heffernan come to mind. Will be a very inexperienced bench for sure.

glick6 wrote: »
    Remember Ray Barry was going well enough to be considered first choice substitute in the forwards against Clare.

I suppose they'll have to draw in some of the extended panel onto the bench with the injuries. Donie Breathnach, Eamonn Murphy and Cormac Heffernan come to mind. Will be a very inexperienced bench for sure.

Giveitfong said he's injured as well. I reckon Dean Twomey and Eddie Barrett would move up in the pecking order along with Shane Walsh, Ray Barry, Martin O Neill and depending on what's wrong with him Paudie Prender will be an option. Don't think anyone else will be featuring, but maybe Barry Coughlan or Killian Fitzgerald if our bench ends up being even further depleted for some reason.

Maybe they could convince Eoin Kelly to come back*

* apologies to all the children in Africa :(

Scored 3 goals for Passage the other week.

• Advertisement

I propose that from the end of the Championship anybody mentioning Eoin Kelly being recalled to the panel should be banned for two days!!!!

While we are pretty short of attacking options on paper we do at least have a couple of players (albeit inexperienced) who could come on and allow lads like Darragh Fives, Foley or Moran to move to the forwards.

Couple of people I wad speaking to joked that we should throw Tony in at full forward for 15 mins and that at least he might catch a couple of balls. I've heard worse suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

I hear now that Cormac Heffernan's injury isn't as bad as originally reported and he is okay now. The man I would like to see being brought on is Donie Breathnach - I'm surprised he hasn't been given a look-in up to now. He was very impressive in the under 21 challenge against a full-strength Tipp in Carrick back in May. Big, good in the air, great pace, knows how to score. He could have a similar impact as Cathal Naughton against us for Cork in 2006 or Walter Walsh in the All-Ireland replay last year. These were massive gambles that paid off in spades. Fortune favours the brave and all that.

doz wrote: »
    I propose that from the end of the Championship anybody mentioning Eoin Kelly being recalled to the panel should be banned for two days!!!!

While we are pretty short of attacking options on paper we do at least have a couple of players (albeit inexperienced) who could come on and allow lads like Darragh Fives, Foley or Moran to move to the forwards.

Couple of people I wad speaking to joked that we should throw Tony in at full forward for 15 mins and that at least he might catch a couple of balls. I've heard worse suggestions!

Interesting idea. Given the physicality of KK backs and how light we are in that respect he'd do the job i reckon!

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I hear now that Cormac Heffernan's injury isn't as bad as originally reported and he is okay now. The man I would like to see being brought on is Donie Breathnach - I'm surprised he hasn't been given a look-in up to now. He was very impressive in the under 21 challenge against a full-strength Tipp in Carrick back in May. Big, good in the air, great pace, knows how to score. He could have a similar impact as Cathal Naughton against us for Cork in 2006 or Walter Walsh in the All-Ireland replay last year. These were massive gambles that paid off in spades. Fortune favours the brave and all that.

I agree on donie breathnach. Has size and buckets of pace. He is training well with the seniors and has been travelling with them so hopefully he'll be on the bench and might be an option tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭seananigans

doz wrote: »

Is there anything to be said for another mass?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

do we not have a panel of 30 players ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Waterford minor team announced:

1. Gavin Power Dungarvan
    2. William Hahessy Clonea
    3. Kevin Daly Dungarvan CAPTAIN
    4. Cian Leamy Ballyduff Upper
    5. Tom Devine Modeligo
    6. Austin Gleeson Mount Sion
    7. Shane Bennett Ballysaggart
    8. Conor Gleeson Fourmilewater
    9. Michéal Harney Bonmahon
    10. Adam Farrell De La Salle
    11. Colm Roche Shamrocks
    12. DJ Foran Portlaw
    13. Patrick Curran Dungarvan
    14. Stephen Bennett Ballysaggart
    15. Michael Kearney Ballyduff Upper

Conor Gleeson makes it despite picking up a knock last week, and the only change is DJ Foran in for Cormac Curran. Very strong team with a good bench.
    How in gods name is mark o brien not selected? he came on at half time v cork and was brilliant, I've seen farrell a few times now and I think cormac curran and o brien are way better options

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    How in gods name is mark o brien not selected? he came on at half time v cork and was brilliant, I've seen farrell a few times now and I think cormac curran and o brien are way better options

i think we need to be careful here when we are talking about young kids. its a very strong panel of players. no matter what team was picked there will always be lads unfortunate to miss out. but I think we have serious strength in depth and if one lad isnt going well theres another lad chomping at the bit on the sideline to spring on in his place. thats a very healthy state of affairs and its maybe why we have fallen that bit short at this level the last few years.

Players can be very fickle at this grade and form is hard to predict. the lad who has been hurling out of his skin all the year might be the one who gets a bit overawed on the big occasion.

I think a big advantage we have over Limerick here is the 3 games we have played to their one. Losing a game like we did against Tipp can often be a blessing in disguise as you learn more about yourself as a team. Limerick had a good win over Tipp but maybe their weaknesses have yet to be exposed because everything went right for them on the night.

Still its important we just get behind the lads and let them do their stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 22 tomkelly99

Hello all.

I've been having a good old think about the match tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to it and I think that it is a good chance to beat the Cats. I'm going to head off at about 6am tomorrow in order to get a good parking spot and have the car turned for home before them bloody Wexford lads rock in with their fleet of Toyota Landcruisers and sunburnt heads.

Anyway, lets cut the small talk, I'm satisfied with the team and I believe they will start as selected with maybe 10 or 11 positional switches and 4 or 5 personnel changes. Here's a brief synopsis of what I've been thinking about.

1.Steebum O'Keeffe
    Faster than a speeding Nissan Micra, with the reflexes of a relaxed hamster, O'Keeffe was born Vladimir Vladivostockovich somewhere in Russia in the mid to late 1800's. He began his career juggling toasters in the Moscow State Circus and graduated to the death defying 'Wheel of Mild Inconvenience'. All the while he honed his talent for stopping things and catching things that are flying very,very,very fast indeed. His family moved to Ireland in the early 90's where they adopted the name O'Keeffe. He took the name Stephen, after Steve from Home and Away, the lad that was good at karate that Selina left at the altar. He is a terrific hurler now and is definitely one of he best hurling goalies in the country, maybe even the world.

2. John "Chilli" Power.
    Late replacement for Shane Fives. International clearance has come through from Johnville so that Chilli can make his inter-county debut at the ripe old age of about 38. Chilli used to take the penalties for The Blues back in the day so he is selected for that skill alone. If we get a penalty Michael Ryan will make the Gareth Bale "loveheart" signal which indicates that Chilli execute a panenka similar to Pirlo (who once got thrown out of a disco in The Butler Centre in Johns Park). Hopefully all the Kilkenny lads will jump out of the way and he can dink it straight down the middle. Easy.

3.Liam Lawlor
    Liam Lawlor was born somewhere in the county of Waterford at roughly the same time John Halligan appeared on 'Stop the Lights' with Bunny Carr on Radio Teilifís Éireann. He won sixteen pounds and a diseased goat. After a largely unremarkable childhood,with his only notable childhood feat being levitation, he dropped out of school to pursue his dream to be a backing dancer with N'Sync. After six fruitful years touring with yer man Timberframe and that JC Chasez lad and the other three, Liam turned his fancy footwork to the hurling field where he has now become easily the best full back in the country named Liam Lawlor. Will easily hold Charlie Carter scoreless tomorrow.

4. Noel Connors, BBS, SDO.
    I would expect Noel to have a strong game. The most important thing for Noel to do however is to go around handing out suncream to the cats in his role as Suncream Dispensation Officer. They're an awful shower of ginger feckers and will be burning like mad in the hate. They'll be grateful as hell of some factor 70. But then sure won't their hands be slippy and they will have to resort to kicking the ball instead of hurling cos all their sticks will be in the stands ahving schlippin out of their paws. Kilkenny are not renowned for their ability to kick things so I think that the Noely Connors suncream trick will go down as a masterstroke. If he can pick the ball up and run like a hare up the field and score 8 or 9 points that would be a bonus.

5. Jamie Nagle
    Jamie Nagle was born in a river that flowed outside the town of Dungarbum. A strong swimmer from birth, he has competed at the Olympics 4 times, the Masters in Augusta twice and he also won the Giro d'Italia and Tour de France in the one year (1953). A keen angler, he is also a keen Nagler, which is an anagram of angler. A remarkably fast young hurler, he has a lovely singing voice, very like Celine Dion. Jamie is flying this year and if he scores 12 or 13 points then we have a chance.

6. Brick Walsh.
    I'm going to put Michael in charge of confusing the ultimate townie, Eoin Larkin. My idea is that Brick should bring a bullock and a cow onto the field with his and get into a conversation about farming and the differences between bulls and cows. That will complete confuse Larkin and take him out of the game. Brick may be able to saunter up the field every now and again when Larkin isn't looking and score ten points. When he is up the field we can get Seamus Prendergast to look after the animals.

7. Darragh Fives
    Darragh Fives was born in Calcutta,India in the late 80's and was the only child of the late great Mother Teresa, along with his three brothers. Very good at diving, he taught Tom Daley everything he knew and in return Daley taught him everything he knew about hurling, which was **** all really to be honest. Armed with this knowledge, himself and his three brothers started playing with Tourin. Their first game was a disaster with Tourin suffering a heavy loss to Old Parish,and it was so bad it led to the by now legendary Dungarvan Leader headline 'FOUR FIVES AT SIXES AND SEVENS' But nonetheless he stuck at it and he has turned into a terrific little hurler who will pose the Cats a lot of hassle.

8. Kevin Moran.
    I think first of all Kevin should get some of Noel's suncream as he is going to be burnt to a cinders. I have a feeling that Kevin could revert to wing back in a swap with Darragh Fives. Kevin had an excellent year last year and ultimately had the accolade of All-Star bestowed on him in said position. Kevin credits a lot of his success to coaching received at a young age from the likes of Joey Carton in De La Salle. Interestingly, Kevin played underage soccer for Ireland while a schoolboy and even more interestingly, his father hails from Galway, which I'm pretty sure will have no bearing whatsoever on the outcome of the game on Sunday.

9. Richie Foley
    Richie Foley is a tremendous young hurler following in the footsteps of his famous uncle Axel Foley who was a policeman for very many years in Beverly Hills in Merica before returning home. The holder of the Irish pole vault record, he has a tremendous fear of stamps and is also fluent in Latin,French, Mandarin and Scots Gaelic or Gaidhlig. He will pose Kilkenny plenty problems tomorrow, particularly as his hurley has a two stroke engine on it which makes him puck the ball over 170 yards. I expect Foley,known as 'The Holy Goalie Foley' to absolutely no one other than me just now, to score at least 23 points,with 0-08 of those from sidelines.

10. Jake Dillon, Spider Control.
    Jake will have a big part to play in this game. I think we need to use him to the best of his ability and I think that if we give him a bag of spiders (mixed variety) to bring out into the field then we stand a big chance of winning. Everyone knows that Kilkenny are afraid of spiders. Imagine Jake running after Brian Hogan with a Yellow Sac spider or tearing after Henry with a terantula. It would frighten the ****e out of the cats and Jake could sneak a goal and ten points handy enough.

11. Shameless Prendergast
    Shameless Prendergast was born in a tree in Ardmore around the same time Bobby Ewing shot JR. He was born at his current adult size in a procedure doctors said was 'quite difficult'. He made his debut for the Deise at aged 9 months when they played a Munster senior hurling semi final in Thurles against Cork. He scored 0-08 and only required two nappy changes. A man mountain,he has gone on to be one of the best hurlers to ever come out of Ardmore. He has a range of tractors named after him and Ryan Tubridy once said he would be his ideal dinner date. I expect Shameless to cause havoc on the 45 and also each other numbered line on the field,namely the 14,21,65,the other 65,the other 21,the other 14 and also that little middle line where the ref throws in the ball.

12. Shane O'Sullivan.
    I've been thinking about this for a while. I reckon that instead of going out and playing hurling, we can get Shane to run around after Tommy Walsh for the afternoon. This will result in Tommy being ineffective and will not hinder us in any way shape or form. This is a tactic that to the best of my knowledge has not been used before and I really can't see it failing. I can't help but think that if other teams had taken this approach against Kilkenny in the past they wouldn't have won those 38 All-Irelands in a row. With Tommy Walsh rendered useless, Shane can score about 0-15 when he's not looking.

13. Brian O'Sullivan
    Brian O'Sullivan started life as a child actor in the long running Australian drama 'The Sullivans' and was eventually written out of the show in a sensational exit (he was trampled on by a load of geese). A black belt in Jew jitsu, a very rare martial art where you can only fight against Jews, he won the world championship belt in 1987 when he defeated Michael Bloomberg in a best of three grudge match in the Community Hall in Fenor. I can see his speed proving troublesome for the Cats full back line tomorrow with Brian getting at least 1-13 from play.

14. Maurice Shanahan.
    I think Maurice will have another big game. Interestingly, following his showing agin Offaly, he was the first Waterford man since Dermot Fahey from Fair City to score more than 54 points in one game. Dermot of course scored 4 goals and 42 points for his adopted club Carrickstown Davins against Oulart-the-Ballagh in the Leinster Club Championship Semi-Final Replay seventeen years ago. Christy Phelan has a great game wing-back the same day, he kept Martin Storey scoreless. If he can score about 60 points on Saturday I think we have a good chance of victory.

15.Jamie Barron
    Three times Eurovision finalist and one time Eurovision champion when he won with the haunting melody 'If I Gave You A Fiver Could I Sit On Your Face?' , Jamie Barron was born in the Nire valley on the same day that Jesus appeared to the Sick and the Infirm inside in Melodys. A keen gymnast, he was the first male in the history of he Community Games to score a perfect 10 on the uneven bars when he achieved the feat in Mosney,thus matching his idol, Romanian gymnast Nadia Comaneci, who achieved a perfect 10 in Montreal in 1976 (go on,Google it). He soon turned to hurling and he also holds the unique distinction of being the first man ever called Jamie Barron to start against Kilkenny tomorrow. I expect his pace to be serious tomorrow and he could bag 12 points handy enough, all from goals.

So that's it. A nice mix of history and looking forward to tomorrow's game. If all of the above happens then we will end up scoring about 8-176 (200 points in total) which should be enough to see off this Kilkenny team, who I predict will score about 1-18 (21 points in total).

I'm off to my bed now anyway Missus Kelly is just finishing off the sandwiches for the morning.

Déise Abú!

@thetomkelly99

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

Excellent post Tomk! Up the Deise!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Class. Deranged as ever :-)

Lord above where do u pull all that tripe from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Probably a long shot but does anyone know if I can watch the game live online on TV3 from abroad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

HillFarmer wrote: »
    Probably a long shot but does anyone know if I can watch the game live online on TV3 from abroad?

Don't think so HF, it's a balls. Heading to Scruffy's to watch it, 4am throw in!

So it's sh!t or bust day, hopefully it'll work out. It's going to be a huge ask but we're well overdue a win against them. What a weekend it would be for a seniors/minors double! I wouldn't complain if we won 1 out of the 2 tbh.
    We'll need a lot to go our way and for the forwards to work their collective socks off to get scores on the board. If the defence can hold firm, keep out goals and stick to them like glue for 40 or 50 mins, we might, just might be in with a shout.

The very best of luck to all involved in the seniors and minors this weekend.

Come on the Deise!

expected to hit the high twenties later on. punishing conditions wont be an advantage for either side anyway thats for sure

I would imagine it would favour the younger team but either way the bench will need to be utilized. I know we're very short there but Kilkenny are two. Conor Fogarty who was dropped and is a rookie, Lester Ryan whos been hot and cold (and is a rookie), Paddy Hogan who hasn't seen much game time (considering they've been far from spectacular its not an endorsement of his form) and then Henry Shefflin and Michael Fennelly, who would be preferable given their class and experience to a rookie we might throw in but their still not fit and that heat would be pretty killer, it will still be hot when the game is nearly over.

They've a distinct lack of forward options on the bench. Ger Aylward is a good hurler in my opinion, but new to this level and had a howler last weekend. The Cody mantra of "if your not playing well enough wev someone on the bench to replace you is fine" but the rush to have Fennelly and Shefflin on the bench and the lack of options around that suggests to me that it's not really the case any longer.

T.J. Reid is out, Eoin Larkin is in midfield, Eddie Brennan is retired, Shefflin not fit, those last three were probably the most lethal hurlers between 2006-2009 in the Kilkenny forward line. Taggy is a good hurler, but his form is very up and down. Richie Hogan is their best forward, will be interesting to see where he plays because I would be delighted if he was in the corner marking Noel Connors. That leaves Richie Power and Walter Walsh. I reckon they'll be center and full but which one where Im not sure.; The full forward experiment didn't work the last day with Walsh, but Cody might fancy giving it another go. I wouldn't be putting Power on Brick if it were me to be honest though, Walter Walsh's presence might give him more trouble.

Anyway, I'm making some points here about Kilkenny just on account of the points that would be made about our deficiencies. They have plenty as well, not many in the backs but I don't think we do these days either. The myth of having two teams that could win the all-ireland nonsense has thankfully been well an truly dispelled at this stage, they're capable of being beaten as has been showed once already this year.

They still have a lot of all-ireland medals, a lot of experience and ability, we will need a performance beyond what we've seen this year or last to win (or actually to be honest the year before and possibly the one before that and...) but I think it is a performance this team is capable of producing.

Roll on the match, up the Déise, and here's hoping for a victory that would be very sweet indeed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Anyone ever think it'd be too hot a day to wear a jersey? Gonna feel so unpatriotic wearing a tshirt and shorts..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Sadly i won't be in Thurles tonight. Did a half marathon in the cruel heat this morning and the legs are screaming in agony so just the thoughts of the drive and the walking and sitting are crippling me further. And i'm walking like a zombie as it is.

I'll have to make do with TV3 and knowing my luck, they'll win. Still think they've a great chance if they have a smart gameplan and a bit of luck.

Come on the white and blue.

Absolutely hopping now, can't wait. Hopefully Wexford will get proceedings offto a nice start when I get up there.

Dig deep, aim high lads pull and let fly, ye know the rest!

Cmon forwards give us something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Kilkenny are there for the taking but Waterford just haven't got the firepower up front.The Waterford backs are doing everything that's asked of them.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

Kilkenny are there for the taking but Waterford just haven't got the firepower up front.The Waterford backs are doing everything that's asked of them.
    Playing absolutely brilliant from 1-9, they can't hit high ball into the forwards just bread and butter for kilkenny. Should try out donie breathnach

Kevin Moran you absolute hero

I fancy Waterford to finish the job now and open up the race for the all ireland!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Great move by Michael Ryan to bring Moran out to midfield! Extra time coming up!

There will be controversy over the time that the referee added on, and blowing up before the ball went over the bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

Deise .....BELIEVE!

Great move by Michael Ryan to bring Moran out to midfield! Extra time coming up!

There will be controversy over the time that the referee added on, and blowing up before the ball went over the bar
    yeah that was ridiculous, but we're due a bit of luck with the decisions made against us in the last few matches really so it's all balancing out

Hard luck Waterford.Ye lost yere concentration after that equaliser.That Kevin Moran fella is a mighty man though.

If only Waterford had John Mullane out on the pitch tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

As a neutral that was frustrating at times to watch, I can only imagine what it was like for a Waterford fan.
    Game was there for the taking, but too many errors, puckouts over the sideline or intercepted, too many misplaced passes.

At times is was like watching Clare play with Davy style tactics, all short passing which too often broke down.
    I thought Prendergast did well enough in battling with JJ, too many balls out to the side for him though, he hasn't the legs. Most annoying thing was anytime he got ball in hand he was surrounded by 3 or 4 KK defenders, yet little to no options for him, there should have been runners making themselves available.

Great effort by Waterford, just came up short. But it was definitely a game that could have been won, for me the hardest type of defeat to stomach

Sickened for the team, they played fantastic taking into account the amount of players missing between injuries, work commitments and travelling. I would really like to see Michael Ryan in charge for one more season, I think he's a great motivator and his influence on the younger players has seen them grow in stature, this year will have done wonders for the likes of jake dillon, jamie barron, ray barry and the likes. These people slagging him off are just ridiculous imo, you can only do so much with what you have at your disposal and I'd like to know what manager would have done better in his situation We gave davy fitz an extra year in 2011 I think we should do the same with michael ryan.

Here's a list of players missing from tonight that should be availible next year
    Stephen Molumphy
    Philip Mahony
    Pauric Mahony
    Gavin O' Brien
    Brian O' Halloran
    Stephen Daniels
    Shane Walsh (about 40% fit tonight)
    Add in Stephen Bennett and Aussie Gleeson from the minors, there should be serious competiton for places!

Best of luck to the minors tomorrow also, one of the best teams we've had in years I hope they can play like their 2nd half performance in cork, love me county!

Tremendous effort by the lads, inconsolable going home. We should be proud of the players efforts and a lot of young players have gained experience for next year which bodes well. Michael Ryan should get another term, to hell with the minority here who have some personal vendetta against him. Deise abu

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Sickened for the team, they played fantastic taking into account the amount of players missing between injuries, work commitments and travelling. I would really like to see Michael Ryan in charge for one more season, I think he's a great motivator and his influence on the younger players has seen them grow in stature, this year will have done wonders for the likes of jake dillon, jamie barron, ray barry and the likes. These people slagging him off are just ridiculous imo, you can only do so much with what you have at your disposal and I'd like to know what manager would have done better in his situation We gave davy fitz an extra year in 2011 I think we should do the same with michael ryan.

Here's a list of players missing from tonight that should be availible next year
    Stephen Molumphy
    Philip Mahony
    Pauric Mahony
    Gavin O' Brien
    Brian O' Halloran
    Stephen Daniels
    Shane Walsh (about 40% fit tonight)
    Add in Stephen Bennett and Aussie Gleeson from the minors, there should be serious competiton for places!

Best of luck to the minors tomorrow also, one of the best teams we've had in years I hope they can play like their 2nd half performance in cork, love me county!

Here here.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Fair play to Kilkenny for a great win, they really had to dig deep in extra time, and pretty much came storming out of the blocks at the start of both halves of extra time.

Absolute fantastic show of desire and steely intention by us to draw the game level at the end of normal time, and although an exciting game to watch, the fare was quite poor for most of normal time.

Its quite clear to me, gutsy moral comebacks aside, we simply don't have enough forwards to compete, unfortunately. This is made all the more depressing to me, that we have/ had some talented youngsters coming through, and have been waiting for something to click this last year or two, but it is simply not happening. We're playing a nice brand of smart hurling, but we just really lack enough forwards to really grab a game by the scruff, and make us serious championship contenders.

I feel Kilkenny were definitely there for the taking tonight, and if hit hard on the scoreboard tonight early on, the game would have more than likely been gone from them. Alas, we could not do it, and do not think in this current incarnation as a team, we have the upper gears anymore.

Its definitely a very interesting championship from here on in, and while I would have dismissed talk of Clare as serious AI contenders at the start of the season as bluster, I can certainly see them as serious contenders now. Depending on tomorrow, I could see Limerick in the same light, and with the return to winning ways of Dublin, it really is great to see an open championship again. Likewise, with Cork and Galway in the mix, although feel I need to see more of Cork to be convinced of their current teams credentials as serious contenders, and Galway continue to be quite flaky, although when they chance on top gear for a game, they are almost unstoppable.

All in all, quite the interesting year, and perhaps years in front of us, even if the things lose a bit of their sparkle with the lack of bite in our own team, as things stand currently..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 colmgero

My Dad tells me that two Feeney brothers (one was called Jackie don't know the second one) from Ballyduff upper once played against each other(one for the deise and one for Dublin) in ether the all Ireland or a league hurling final. Was wondering if this is true and if so what year was it and also was this the only time two brothers played each other in a major GAA final? He is prone to the odd tall tale so it might be false but in 1939 Waterford did play Dublin both an all Ireland and the league final so it is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Wasnt Stephen Daniels on the bench tonight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

I think Michael Ryan is doing a fantastic job all over.

Motivation - this was a team happy not be trashed by Kilkenny up until recently. Lawlor said he was devastated tonight and he sounded it on the radio. We lost our star player this year and came back from the dead twice tonight which unfortunately hasn't been the Waterford of recent years.

Tactically - our defence was brilliant tonight and you can say that it was the players but its never that simple and the passing game thats been introduced looks like it will pay dividends for a long time to come.

Results - not been overwhelming but this was a team that was being written off as relegation fodder in this years hurling league. Every body in the county had us written off before we pucked a ball tonight because they hadn't seen very much of this team and I think the more games that this team gets the better it gets. Last year we were Mullane and that was it there was nothing else, either Mullane scored or we didn't win, I think that is a massive turnaround.

Style - thank God the horrible game introduced by Davy Fitz is being eroded and a more stylish hurling being reintroduced which was synonymous with Waterford.

Selections - can;t really fault him there either, granted one or two choices didn't make the best of tonight but you can only pick a player on their abilities but there were a few players on that team tonight who vindicated their selection. I think he is picking players only someone living and being from Waterford could... granted Anthony Daly has done this job for Dublin but he's been working with their underage for years now.

Fitness - brought in probably the best fitness coach in the country and the team look fitter than when Davy Fitz was in charge which was one of the main reasons the players wanted him in the first place.

One year? I'd give him five, he's not done anything wrong that I can see and the team are definitely playing better. Besides, who else would you want to put there. We have a good manager let's keep him for once. We played with style when we had Mcarthy but were totally unorganised, with Davy we were organised but way too constricted - right now we appear to have a very good balance with the players being organised but actually being able to play the game rather than put 12 men behind the midfield.

tbayers wrote: »
    Wasnt Stephen Daniels on the bench tonight?
    not togged out though just there for support

colmgero wrote: »
    My Dad tells me that two Feeney brothers (one was called Jackie don't know the second one) from Ballyduff upper once played against each other(one for the deise and one for Dublin) in ether the all Ireland or a league hurling final. Was wondering if this is true and if so what year was it and also was this the only time two brothers played each other in a major GAA final? He is prone to the odd tall tale so it might be false but in 1939 Waterford did play Dublin both an all Ireland and the league final so it is possible.
    tom kelly99 is the man to answer that I reckon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

If only again. I'm gutted but also very proud. Our day will come, all the younger players who came on played very well. Mistakes were made in the first half that made the difference but look this Kilkenny team and their manager are the best I have ever seen. Seeing John Mullane going into the game as a spectator. I though if only he was playing tonight I have no doubt we would have won this game in normal time, I wonder what went through his mind at full time. We are not sliping behind afterall and next year we will be back stronger. Best of luck to the minors tomorrow it would give us great hope if they win.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement