Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My neighbour's car is touching mine, what can I do?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

This is a common occurance.

I had a similar issue at one point but had a **** car with tonnes of dents and scratches so they threats meant nothing. infact hitting it would probably have improved the body work. lol.

Thankfully it was just a short term rent while i found somewhere else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Get a jar and of jam and spread a load under his door handle.
    When your neighbor opens his car door he will get a sticky hand full of Jam.
    Repeat until it pisses your neighbor off so much he backs off

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

areyawell wrote: »
    That's not helpful it's only making a sticky situation worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

athlonelad wrote: »
    That's not helpful it's only making a sticky situation worse.

Hit him with puns like this one until he hangs himself in a wardrobe!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭GullibleOne

My understanding is they can park partly in front of your house but cannot block your entry/exit or park in such a way as you cannot manoeuvre to enter/exit. can someone confirm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

Get a towbar and park with the towbar ball facing his car.

Also get a second car ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

My understanding is they can park partly in front of your house but cannot block your entry/exit or park in such a way as you cannot manoeuvre to enter/exit. can someone confirm?

AFAIK, the following is the correct law.
    See s.36(2)(g) of S.I. 182/1997 - Road Traffic (Traffic & Parking) Regulations, 1997
    A vehicle shall not be parked in any place, position or manner that will result in the vehicle obstructing an entrance or an exit for vehicles to or from a premises, save with the consent of the occupier of such premises.

I presume that there is a general penalty in relation to breach of regulation, but you can look that up yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Andy454 wrote: »
    Well somebody that parks in this manner is goading you in to a response and may be liable under the:

Prohibition of Incitement To Hatred Act, 1989
    Not really, unless a point was being made about it being a 'black' car or a 'Japanese' one.

The matter is a road traffic and/or public order one and that is how the Garda would deal with it.

Essentially. However, it is illegal for all of them to park on the footpath.
    This could amount to criminal damage, assault (admittedly both at the lower end of the scale) or breach of the peace and could get the OP into trouble.

Or the neighbour takes things into his own hands and escalates it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Stheno wrote: »

So your dad parks in the driveway and you park behind him slightly onto the footpath, and your neighbour and his wife do the same with their cars? Then if you move they park behind your dad?

I'm finding imagining this very confusing

One car in drive, one car on road in front of house. Both houses doing the same, but the OPs neighbourhood parked on the road first so think that they own the parking place in front of both houses.

Not all houses have driveways long enough for 2 cars and parking partially on the footpath is illegal. The OP, or anyone, can legally park on the road unless there is designated parking or other restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Does it have to be jam or would, say, marmalade work?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

...half my car is in front of my house and there's still half the footpath for his wife's car...

What happens if you park on the half you leave for the wife?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Marmalade would suffice yes, or if you want to go a bit further dog ****

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

Park your car as close to your neighbors driveway as possible, leave no room for them to park, next time you park, park as normal and if he/she parks touching your car revert to the first parking position.
    They will get the message soon enough, if not, get a friend to park with your car and dont use your cars for days and leave them stuck.
    A friend of mine had a similar problem so he decided to park opposite the neighbors driveway making it very difficult to get out. They eventually asked him to park where they had the original problem to avoid blocking the driveway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

This is a forty something year old man with two kids picking a fight with a twenty-two year old girl over a couple of inches and it makes me so angry.

Only a few inches would make ya angry alright :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Fuh Q wrote: »
    Park your car as close to your neighbors driveway as possible, leave no room for them to park, next time you park, park as normal and if he/she parks touching your car revert to the first parking position.
    They will get the message soon enough, if not, get a friend to park with your car and dont use your cars for days and leave them stuck.
    A friend of mine had a similar problem so he decided to park opposite the neighbors driveway making it very difficult to get out. They eventually asked him to park where they had the original problem to avoid blocking the driveway.

Sounds like post 38 applies
    your friend was obstructing them from gaining access to their drive by the sounds of it.
    Its no fun if someone is being difficult about parking, but retaliating doesnt help.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

'Lemon entry, my dear Watson'.;)

I'll get my coat...

Advertisement