Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which watch?

Options
  • 10-11-2012 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey all,

To summarise: I'm looking for a watch.
    I will be using it for adventure races, marathons and gym use.

I have looked through some of the threads and the 910 seems to be the top dog, however I do not require the swim feature so is the 910 overkill?

I like Suunto's round face, have they a suitable candidate?

I would like a Heart Rate Monitor too.

I work in a store that sells these and I'm still very confused about the whole scene!

Help please!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

i had the Garmin forerunner 405 and now have Timex Ironman Gobal Trainer. Recommend both highly. Timex is a step up and bought it in the states cheap, not sure i would have otherwise, but its class and the training peaks sight that accompanies it is brilliant for tracking your training and diet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Polar RC3 GPS with HRM will tick all the boxes for you.

Has capability of several sport profiles and speed & cadence sensors for the bike so can multi sport with it.

Great unit and no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

If size doesn't matter, the 310xt is basically a 910 without the swim features

• Registered Users Posts: 26 BriBru

Polar RC3 GPS with HRM will tick all the boxes for you.

Has capability of several sport profiles and speed & cadence sensors for the bike so can multi sport with it.

Great unit and no issues.

Are Polar still at the races? Haven't seen them mentioned much.

hardCopy wrote: »
    If size doesn't matter, the 310xt is basically a 910 without the swim features

Like most men, I believe size does matter! :p
    The 310xt is quite large but I could get over that if it's the one for me!

Price wise, is it worth spending the extra for the 910xt?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

I have just purchased the 910xt and did a lot of research on them all.

I think personally Polar are styled better but I would question the software and to be honest used Garmin before and like them so I may have been slightly biased. Think they are hard to beat overall and would certainly be the market leader so I guess if you ever where to sell or upgrade you have a better chance of getting your money back.

Even though you may not need the swim feature now its not to say you wont down the road and I would rather have it and not need it than need and not have.

Go Garmin 910 for what my opinion is worth.

BUACHAILL wrote: »
    I have just purchased the 910xt and did a lot of research on them all.

I think personally Polar are styled better but I would question the software and to be honest used Garmin before and like them so I may have been slightly biased. Think they are hard to beat overall and would certainly be the market leader so I guess if you ever where to sell or upgrade you have a better chance of getting your money back.

Even though you may not need the swim feature now its not to say you wont down the road and I would rather have it and not need it than need and not have.

Go Garmin 910 for what my opinion is worth.

I think I just wanted to someone to tell me to buy it! So unless I get a serious alternative, 910 may just win! Thanks!:D

Yes I had gathered that :-)

good luck

With regards the 910, any issues? I've seen so many people complaining about fogging and software that it seems like it's almost 50/50 whether you are lucky or not. How rare/frequent are faults?

To be honest do not have mine long enough to judge correctly, only got it 2 weeks ago and have been injured, used twice in the pool and no fogging to date, everything else works fine and I love it.

There has been a lot of issues so far according to much more experienced on here but don't see what else out there is worth buying over it so I was prepared to take the chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BriBru wrote: »
    With regards the 910, any issues? I've seen so many people complaining about fogging and software that it seems like it's almost 50/50 whether you are lucky or not. How rare/frequent are faults?

Oh if only it was 50/50

Most 910xts either ship with or develop serious problems. As a 910 owner i would say avoid all garmin products. Their manufacturing has gone to pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Ceepo

+1 on thar Time Global Trainer.

Have it over 6mths, and no issues, and ok it doesn't do swimming like the 910xt , but it does everything else well. The gps, cadence, heart rate.
    Also way cheaper than 910. Paid $127 on eBay.

Are Polar still at the races? Haven't seen them mentioned much.

Don't get mentioned because they don't cause any problems.

The RC3 GPS is their first integrated GPS watch and is comparable with the Garmin 405/410 in terms of functionality.

Different set up to Garmin, and not ant+ compatible, Polar do their own WIND technology.

If you want more serious multisporter options then the bigger brother RCX5 is a different unit.

Like most men, I believe size does matter! :p
    The 310xt is quite large but I could get over that if it's the one for me!

Price wise, is it worth spending the extra for the 910xt?

I would recommend the 310 quicker than the 910 for someone who has their heart set on Garmin.

If you want swim functionality you can always pick up the specific swim watch at a later stage.

Avoid the 910 until they do a product update. There I've said it.

Really like the look of both polar watches., and have been using Polar hrm for years problem free, only thing I ever had to do was replace the battery.
    The Global Trainer has all the functions as the Garmin 310xt with out the glitches.
    So I suppose it comes down to what you want the watch for and what you want the watch to look at.
    910 looks nice and neat, but has to may issue's for my liking and is expensive, 310 ugly as f*UK, and bit better on price but HR not reliable. Polar are the front runner when it comes to hr, and nice looking watch as well, and issue for me at the time was not ant+ and rcx5 has separate gps unit, and rcx3 is integrated but wasn't available at the time. I have been using a Timex watch ironman 100 lap for over 10 yrs, that speaks for itself, just replace battery and go again. I did find the Global Trainer a bit big at the start but once u start running you forget it's there, ant+ so I use Garmin cadence. Heart rate is bang on which for me was important. it comes with a bike mount so I less thing to buy. And at the price I paid for it, and it was well worth the money.

So my friend the choice is yours

You will probably go for the Garmin because, as well everyone else does :-)

Don't get mentioned because they don't cause any problems.

The RC3 GPS is their first integrated GPS watch and is comparable with the Garmin 405/410 in terms of functionality.

Different set up to Garmin, and not ant+ compatible, Polar do their own WIND technology.

If you want more serious multisporter options then the bigger brother RCX5 is a different unit.

Unfortunately if you are serious, runner or multisport, then post do not have a offering for you. RS800 maybe but that's it.

tunney wrote: »
    Unfortunately if you are serious, runner or multisport, then post do not have a offering for you. RS800 maybe but that's it.

Stress is on the word 'serious' too. As serious sportspeople may have a combination of different units for achieving different things its proving very hard to find one size fits all in the multisport watches.

The RS800 is a smashing unit. Just not as user friendly as the Garmin. Also because it is a few years old at this stage it is not as easy to use on the back end with Polar Personal Trainer etc.

On the other side a good coach / program and a simple heart rate monitor works for some.

Stress is on the word 'serious' too. As serious sportspeople may have a combination of different units for achieving different things its proving very hard to find one size fits all in the multisport watches.

The RS800 is a smashing unit. Just not as user friendly as the Garmin. Also because it is a few years old at this stage it is not as easy to use on the back end with Polar Personal Trainer etc.

On the other side a good coach / program and a simple heart rate monitor works for some.

I'm actually coming around to the multiple units that do things right idea.

Garmin swim in the water.
    SRM on the bike.

Question is what on the run?

SRM on the bike.

If like me most people will know where they run and how far some loops are eg 6ml 7ml 8ml etc etc so i dont need to measure every run, And i train by time 50 min run 1h run etc, so dont need Garmin Global trainer etc for every run, i use hr for some runs, mostly for recovery runs, i do my speed work on marked roads or track so only need time as i do speed of time feel,
    Ok Ok maybe not all train this way.

So answer is Polar HRM with record function RS400 maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

SRM on the bike.

This is the reason I am looking at the 910xt. I'd love to get the Garmin Swim, but its only good for the pool, no OW capabilities. If it had GPS for sea swimming, I'd be all over it, but then if it had GPS it may as well support running and biking... and be the 910.

What'll you do for your OW data?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

The 910 is grand, for training. Some people just like to moan about every bit of new kit that comes out! To be honest I'd have kept the 310 if it had the swim features. Yes there are things I could improve about the 910 that I'm sure they will figure out and add to a newer model in time to come. For a triathlete though or an OW swimmer who does a little running or biking, its a great training tool. I try not to be a slave to it though and train to feel a lot as (LD aside) I'll abandon the watch for race day.

Like any Garmin, it would be nice if it picked up the GPS quicker. HR data for swimming would be cool too

Any GPS unit will track your OW swim.

Does the 910 give you your stroke count and SWOLF scores in OW?

@tunney - I'm guessing that a universal program like Training Peaks or WKO is probably the best base to collate the multiple training data strands rather than a little bit on Garmin Connect, some on PPT or Polar ProTrainer for example?

If I was going run specific, I'd probably go Garmin 610 or Polar RS800.

The RS400 while a good watch does not give any option of adding GPS tracking, whereas the G3 & G5 pods can be used with the RS800.

Sorry to OP for diverting the thread.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    This is the reason I am looking at the 910xt. I'd love to get the Garmin Swim, but its only good for the pool, no OW capabilities. If it had GPS for sea swimming, I'd be all over it, but then if it had GPS it may as well support running and biking... and be the 910.

What'll you do for your OW data?

I don't really care about OW swimming to be honest. In a race its irrelevant, in training in OW all I care about is sighting and distance doesn't matter.
    The 910 is grand, for training. Some people just like to moan about every bit of new kit that comes out! To be honest I'd have kept the 310 if it had the swim features. Yes there are things I could improve about the 910 that I'm sure they will figure out and add to a newer model in time to come. For a triathlete though or an OW swimmer who does a little running or biking, its a great training tool. I try not to be a slave to it though and train to feel a lot as (LD aside) I'll abandon the watch for race day.

Like any Garmin, it would be nice if it picked up the GPS quicker. HR data for swimming would be cool too

Other than the fogging I am completely happy with the 910xt, I think the features are excellent.

@tunney - I'm guessing that a universal program like Training Peaks or WKO is probably the best base to collate the multiple training data strands rather than a little bit on Garmin Connect, some on PPT or Polar ProTrainer for example?

The RS400 while a good watch does not give any option of adding GPS tracking, whereas the G3 & G5 pods can be used with the RS800.

610 - is that even vaguely waterproof though?

I have used TrainingPeaks and WKO for about 5 years. All data in one place and I can get numbers on anything very very quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I know I wad never a serious athlete
    But my Casio for 12 euro was first class with a meassured out run course for intervals and gave me the pace I needed more accurate than any gps
    Worked fantastically well in the pool

So 12 euro gave me a lot I needed and no hassle with strapes batteries etc,

On the bike its either power or nothing speed distance pretty much irrelevant
    And if you want cadance by a metronom ....

610 - is that even vaguely waterproof though?

Was gonna do something like '910 - FYP' but enough Garmin bashing. Its a great watch just has basic fundamental faults that shouldnt be there.

The 610 I was suggesting as run specific, no water based activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I don't really care about OW swimming to be honest. In a race its irrelevant, in training in OW all I care about is sighting and distance doesn't matter.

I take your point about pool metrics being most useful, but I'd also be interested in the sighting line info from OW swimming, to see how much off the straight line your garmin track goes. Distance/time info I find as useful as running distance/time, fun to look at.

This is a very useful thread, and its made up my mind to purchase a 910, versus a Garmin Swim/305 combo. The consensus seems to be the 910 is the best jack of all trades.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I take your point about pool metrics being most useful, but I'd also be interested in the sighting line info from OW swimming, to see how much off the straight line your garmin track goes. Distance/time info I find as useful as running distance/time, fun to look at.

This is a very useful thread, and its made up my mind to purchase a 910, versus a Garmin Swim/305 combo. The consensus seems to be the 910 is the best jack of all trades.

But the 910xts swim lines in OW won't be straight either. The lock loss and re-acquisition makes it a little inaccurate.
    Was gonna do something like '910 - FYP' but enough Garmin bashing. Its a great watch just has basic fundamental faults that shouldnt be there.

The 610 I was suggesting as run specific, no water based activities.

But what if it rains an awful lot and it gets very very wet that way I meant!

peter kern wrote: »
    I know I wad never a serious athlete
    But my Casio for 12 euro was first class with a meassured out run course for intervals and gave me the pace I needed more accurate than any gps
    Worked fantastically well in the pool

So 12 euro gave me a lot I needed and no hassle with strapes batteries etc,

On the bike its either power or nothing speed distance pretty much irrelevant
    And if you want cadance by a metronom ....

To be fair to this approach I am back working where I worked for 5 years and when I ran alot. So I know where the 1km markers are and I know what time to hit them in is "good" depending on the wind conditions. Alot to be said for it.

But the 910xts swim lines in OW won't be straight either. The lock loss and re-acquisition makes it a little inaccurate.

But what if it rains an awful lot and it gets very very wet that way I meant!

Ok, I tap out, go Polar RS800 instead. 2 year warranty & waterproof. :)

• Advertisement

Ok, I tap out, go Polar RS800 instead. 2 year warranty & waterproof. :)

No that was a genuine question - can the 610 cope with heavy rain?

I am leaning towards a garmin swim, SRM and RS800 approach for training to be honest.

Advertisement