Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So you want to JTAG your xbox360? (POST 248 FOR xeBuild/16197 TUT)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

TV, the link to your aud_clamp smc file is dead, any chance you can reupload it? I've tried extracting it from my current nand dump but all I seem to get is two files, smc_enc.bin & smc_dec.bin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Yeah, I'll re-up them as actual attachments later this evening, rapidshare went and removed my files because they were too awesome :D If I forget, PM me

Yeah, I'll re-up them as actual attachments later this evening, rapidshare went and removed my files because they were too awesome :D If I forget, PM me

Much obliged dude :)

As promised, pre-patched SMC files for AUD_CLAMP phats

As promised, pre-patched SMC files for AUD_CLAMP phats

Gentleman :)

• Advertisement

Is a Jasper 512 a Big Block? What is the difference between BB & SB in Jaspers?

Build Instructions (Updated for latest xeBuild v1.05):

For simplicity you need the following:

1) Your CPU Key
    2) A copy of your nand (original or FreeBOOT) and SMC
    3) Dashboard Data (Google for "xxxxx Dashboard data" where XXXXX is the version number e.g. 12611, 13599, 14699, 16197
    4) xeBuild (xbins -> /XBOX 360/development/xeBuild/)

Getting ready
    Download xeBuild and extract it to a folder - say C:\xeBuild

Open your dashboard data zip file and extract the contents to C:\xeBuild\<version_number> e.g. for 16197.zip, extract the contents to C:\xeBuild\16197. The folder should already exist in C:\xeBuild anyway.

Edit C:\xeBuild\1blkey.txt. On the first line is a dummy key - replace it with DD88AD0C9ED669E7B56794FB68563EFA

Edit C:\xeBuild\mydata\options.ini. Scroll down until you see where the cpukey goes, paste it in there. You can also add the 1bl key to this file, it goes directly over the cpu key line. Both are filled with dummy codes, so just overwrite them with the 1bl key as provided, & your consoles cpu key. Close the text file then, saving any changes.

Extracting KV and SMC_CONFIG.bin
    Open up 360 Flash Tool v0.97 and click Settings->Options. Tick the box that says "Extract ibuild compatible files". Then open your nand and click extract on the bottom. Tick the box for 'config blocks' and 'Keyvault' and click OK. Choose a folder for these files. When extraction is done, go to that folder and there'll be a folder called freeBOOT, click into it, then into data and you will find two files - kv.bin and smc_config.bin. Copy these two files to C:\xeBuild\mydata.

Picking the right SMC (not for Xenon consoles)
    This step is very important if your console is not a xenon - flashing the wrong SMC can end your JTAG If the nand file you used to extract the KV.bin and SMC_CONFIG.bin files in the previous step was taken from your previous dashboard updflash.bin, or was taken from a dump you took off your currently working JTAG, then use the same steps above but check the box labelled SMC. You'll find an SMC.bin in the same place you found KV/SMC_CONFIG.bin.

If you're using your original nand (not recommended unless you know your wiring scheme), then you will need to pick an SMC for the JTAG wiring in use. You can find SMC files for the AUD_CLAMP method of wiring (the preferred choice) in this file. Remember: Using the wrong SMC file can b0rk your JTAG, to play it super safe, take a dump of your nand using Flash360, and extract the SMC from that using 360 Flash Tool

Copy smc.bin to C:\xeBuild\mydata

Setup xebuild

Place an existing nand dump into the 'mydata' folder of xeBuild. This will allow xeBuild to determine various system variables. You need to rename the dump file to 'nanddump.bin' without the quotes.

Build freeBOOT
    Open a command prompt, go to C:\xeBuild and type the following

Code:
    xebuild -t <image type> -c <model> -d mydata -f <dashboard> updflash.bin
    <image> is either glitch, jtag or retail
    <model> is either xenon, falcon, zephyr, jaspersb, jasper256, jasper512 etc etc
    <mydata> is where your per-console files are, cpukey.txt etc
    <dashboard> is the name of the folder holding the dashboard files (e.g. 16197)

xeBuild will build freeBOOT as updflash.bin - copy it to USB, boot to Xellous and flash it.

Post-Install

Download the full system update - here
    Check the version number in the filename matches your newly installed dashbaord version.
    Extract to a USB stick (blank)
    Insert USB stick into console
    Power console on, accept the update, the console will apply and then reboot.

Links
    Previous post detailing (with pictures) the steps above, with minor differences because that was dashboard 12625
    Patched SMC files (AUD_CLAMP Wiring) for non-Xenon consoles

Quoted & updated slightly to conform to newest instructions.

SB is a 16MB jasper, BB is a 256/512MB Arcade console :)

SB is a 16MB jasper, BB is a 256/512MB Arcade console :)

Ah! I always forget there was a 16MB Jasper!

Quick one while your there, using the above guide, xebuild is only spitting out a 64MB file for my Jasper, while the nanddump.bin I'm using is 528MB...why is that :o

Everything after 0xFFF (64MB) is user-memory space, has no OS files at all. If it spat out a 512MB file it would wipe your internal memory every time you went to upgrade your dash :)

• Advertisement

Everything after 0xFFF (64MB) is user-memory space, has no OS files at all. If it spat out a 512MB file it would wipe your internal memory every time you went to upgrade your dash :)

It's been that long since I updated the Jasper I'd forgotten that :o Old age creeping in, asking newbish questions :D If your not doing this stuff regularly it does tend to fade in the mind :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

do we need to update to play blackops 2?

Most likely you'll have to have the 16xxx dash :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I was updated to the one previous to the most recent.. no doubt I'll **** something updating again tonight hah

Lenny wrote: »
    I was updated to the one previous to the most recent.. no doubt I'll **** something updating again tonight hah

I know most folks use the xebuildGUI proggy, but if you want to be completely sure about the end result, follow TV's cmd line tutorial above. It's worked for me every single time, I swear I'll never bother with a gui prog again for image building.

Also, Dashlaunch now has a GUI...no more launch.ini!!!

Also also...FSD3 is sweeeeeet!

FSD3 is nice all right and don't you be pissing on the launch.ini, it's marvellous :D

FSD3 is nice all right and don't you be pissing on the launch.ini, it's marvellous :D

I was actually giving out fukc when I seen the new GUI, here we go again a whole new learning process I thought. But its a dream to configure now, & there's no learning curve at all, you simply run the XeX, click a slot, find what you want to load, & confirm it...it's actually very very sweet!

FSD3 is a thing of beauty, the coverflow is seamless :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Afternoon guys.

I'm trying to update my Jtag and dashboard for the first time, and not really getting anywhere. I've read TVs walkthrough above, but tbh it confused the hell out of me!:o

Where I am at the minute...
    I used Trancy's NAND thingy to get my NAND from the Xbox.
    I've made a note of my CPU key.
    I've the latest MS Dashboard 16XXXX downloaded ready to go.
    I've downloaded the latest JRunner v0.2 Beta (271) to try get things going, and this is where I hit a snag.
    I add my NAND into the "source file" part, leave the "additional file" part blank as I on't know what goes in there, and I add my CPU key into the "CPU key" section.
    I click the "Read NAND" button, and it reads without error or bad blocks.
    AFAIK I don't click "Flash CoolRunner" as my box is Jtag'd.
    I click "Create ECC" and it does that.
    But when I click "Write ECC", it says certain files can't be found and asks me to select if my unit is a Jasper/Zyphor/etc. Haven't a clue what I have!:confused:

So I'm flumuxed at the minute. Maybe TVs instructions are actually easier than what I'm trying to do, but to my mind clicking buttons is easier than typing code!

Any takers on helping a idiot novice?

Soarer wrote: »

Do it the cmd line way, seriously, its simple. Follow each step along the way & you can't possibly go wrong

Cool, will give it a go.

Quick question though. What's the 1bl key that's mentioned?

• Advertisement

Cool, will give it a go.

Quick question though. What's the 1bl key that's mentioned?

You have to edit a dummy key which is in a text file, with the real one thats available on the tutorial post above :)

When you get to the SMC part though, you will need to know your motherboard type so you can pick the correct smc for your nand. Also, do you know if your jtag is on the older wiring method, or the newer aud_clamp/boxddr method?

See? Didn't even read the thing properly it scared me so much!

The jtag is the wired type from what I can see. Two wires meeting in the middle with little yokes on either end.
    As for the motherboard type, haven't a clue. Is there like a production table somewhere or something that if I reference my serial number, it'll tell me?

Edit: Google will help me...but not here in work! When Mrs. Soarer heads to the gym later, I'm gonna give it a go.

See? Didn't even read the thing properly it scared me so much!

The jtag is the wired type from what I can see. Two wires meeting in the middle with little yokes on either end.
    As for the motherboard type, haven't a clue. Is there like a production table somewhere or something that if I reference my serial number, it'll tell me?

Edit: Google will help me...but not here in work! When Mrs. Soarer heads to the gym later, I'm gonna give it a go.

Do not take a chance if your not sure of the mobo type ok AND jtag type, picking the wrong smc can end your jtag as a wise man once said.

Also, throw up a pick of the jtag wiring maybe we can say for sure

Pictures please, before you go do something silly :)

Only checking back in now lads.

Haven't done anything silly yet! Will take a pic later (if I can), and ye can cast yere expert eyes over it.
    As for the mobo, according to youtube, I've a Falcon (judging by the power supply).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Afternoon guys.

I'm trying to update my Jtag and dashboard for the first time, and not really getting anywhere. I've read TVs walkthrough above, but tbh it confused the hell out of me!:o

Where I am at the minute...
    I used Trancy's NAND thingy to get my NAND from the Xbox.
    I've made a note of my CPU key.
    I've the latest MS Dashboard 16XXXX downloaded ready to go.
    I've downloaded the latest JRunner v0.2 Beta (271) to try get things going, and this is where I hit a snag.
    I add my NAND into the "source file" part, leave the "additional file" part blank as I on't know what goes in there, and I add my CPU key into the "CPU key" section.
    I click the "Read NAND" button, and it reads without error or bad blocks.
    AFAIK I don't click "Flash CoolRunner" as my box is Jtag'd.
    I click "Create ECC" and it does that.
    But when I click "Write ECC", it says certain files can't be found and asks me to select if my unit is a Jasper/Zyphor/etc. Haven't a clue what I have!:confused:

So I'm flumuxed at the minute. Maybe TVs instructions are actually easier than what I'm trying to do, but to my mind clicking buttons is easier than typing code!

The create ECC is for RGH you have a JTAG with aud_clamp wiring.

You need to load your NAND into source then enter your CPU key. Select the JTAG option (hit the aud_clamp checkbox too) and choose the latest dashboard, hit create image. This will make an updflash.bin file in the working directory.

Copy updflash.bin to memory stick, power on your Xbox with eject, connect USB stick and the console will update.

Power it off and pull the plug when the update has completed. You should now have the latest dashboard.

Legend.

No doubt it'll be in the post to you when I make a balls of it! :)

anyone got a link to the 16202 dash data? not getting much through google..
    gonna try update my jtag

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Lenny wrote: »
    anyone got a link to the 16202 dash data? not getting much through google..
    gonna try update my jtag

Use J-Runner. It downloads them automatically.

• Advertisement

yea downloaded them from that and copy'd it over to my xebuild that i had on a drive.. this is the error im getting
    any ideas?

nnjqmr.png

Advertisement