Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland, the new Rotterdam?

• 08-11-2012 9:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭corkoian

Does anyone see the potential for Ireland to become the new hub for US imports. As in all traffic going to and from the Us in terms of cargo could be unload in the likes of Cork Port and return again and avoiding having to travel in further to central Europe. All cargo could be transport through (the once proposed) Tusker Tunnel on a high speed train link to mainland Europe via the UK. US companies that use the Irish port facilities might then see the potential to setup a facility here in Ireland.

NOTE: Before I get hundred of the same posts,
    (1) Yes, this is a pipe dream
    (2) Yes, I know that the channel tunnel had a lot of financial difficulty making it feasible so a tunnel for Ireland - England wouldn't be feasible either
    (3) I dont need to here about all the tunnelling jobs that have been completed in Ireland with some sort of a mess up e.g. Dublin Port Tunnel
    (4) Yes our ports would need massive investment.
    For anyone who hadn't heard about the proposed Tusker Tunnel here's Wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Sea_fixed_crossing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Why would anyone want to invest in Cork?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

It would be great to have a tunnel built from Ireland to Britain. We could have all the moaners who say they hate living here and can't wait to get out , build it and then take leave of it thereafter, so we kill two birds with one stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭reginald

Tunnel dream rather than pipe i'd say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 138 ✭✭corkoian

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to invest in Cork?:pac:

Cause Corks the real capital ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

The Rhine > The Lee.

In case you haven't noticed.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Valid point, i wonder how much each country would contribute to the funding for this?

Maybe we could ask the UK to build it for us and we'll pay them back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

corkoian wrote: »
    Cause Corks the real capital ;)

Just checked Wikipedia...says Dublin is.

Although anyone could've messed with the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

Op I actually said the same thing about using cork harbour as a hub for the bigger ships back as far as 2007 but as was said to me, even though it's a good idea it'll never happen. Another one I said years ago is to open the train line connecting Connolly and Houston that goes under phoenix park. No vision with the powers that be at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

wonder if the dissidents would want to blow it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

What are you asking us to discuss OP? You seem to be asking if there is potential for Ireland's ports before going on to give four good reasons that piss all over that potential?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

It's a very interesting concept. I like it. The Welsh are probably going to love it too.

But where's the money going to come from to build the tunnel and the rail line? The Brits are not going to pay for half.

I doubt that the European Commission is going to be very enthused about it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

It's a very interesting concept. I like it. The Welsh are probably going to love it too.

But where's the money going to come from to build the tunnel and the rail line? The Brits are not going to pay for half.

I doubt that the European Commission is going to be very enthused about it right now.

We could all chip in a tenner...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

We blew more than the cost of it on the bank bailouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Or, as another mad idea, we could cut back on red tape drastically and start actually manufacturing stuff other people want to buy and sell it to them? And not just short term pharma stuff in plants owned by foreign companies that then repatriate the profits to their own countries.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭caste_in_exile

This could be Rotterdam, or anywhere but more likely liverpool than rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Easier to just sail the extra few dozen miles to Cornwall or Wales surely.
    The Brits wouldn't want us taking their place anyway.

Plus I don't like that version linking the North with Scotland....I prefer my unionists isolated. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Damn, checked in here thinking this was a thread about legalising weed,over and out .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MichaelGUFC

Nope,our linguistic skills are piss poor,very few people are Bi-Lingual and even if they are its usually some useless Irish

Rigol wrote: »
    Easier to just sail the extra few dozen miles to Cornwall or Wales surely.
    The Brits wouldn't want us taking their place anyway.

Plus I don't like that version linking the North with Scotland....I prefer my unionists isolated. :D
    Cork harbour is the deepest natural port in Europe so it can take the big ships that other ports can't. Rotterdam is currently running very close to capacity so there's a definite market there but sure our government (past and present) couldn't organise a ride in a whore house so there's fat chance of them pulling something like this off

• Advertisement

Phoenix wrote: »
    Cause Rotterdam is anywhere?
    Anywhere alone?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This could be Rotterdam, or anywhere but more likely liverpool than rome.
    Phoenix wrote: »
    Cause Rotterdam is anywhere?
    Pottler wrote: »
    Anywhere alone?

Awful awful song/band.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

The Russians and Chinese are proposing a high speed rail link all the way to Europe.

Most container traffic comes from the east, so developing a port with rail link for American container traffic in Ireland wouldn't make sense.

Most of the products we purchase from the states in the future will be downloaded so maybe we should concentrate on a super fast broadband connection.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

doyle61 wrote: »
    Rotterdam is currently running very close to capacity so there's a definite market there ...

The Rotterdam spillover harbour has already been built ...in Germany :D

http://www.eurogate.de/live/eg_site_en/show.php3?id=218

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Johnson and johnson already do this with their contact lenses, they import the stuff, do whatever and then use their access to the 500 million people in europe, with tax free export and import of goods within the eu.. and Ireland is closer to Japan than the US, who are the largest market for contact lenses....

sorry.. this is the only thing I actually know because I read it and it must be true

Johnson and johnson already do this with their contact lenses, they import the stuff, do whatever and then use their access to the 500 million people in europe, with tax free export and import of goods within the eu.. and Ireland is closer to Japan than the US, who are the largest market for contact lenses....

sorry.. this is the only thing I actually know because I read it and it must be true
    err, that's the business model of almost every multi-national in ireland. Generally speaking, we re-process and re-package stuff to tweedle the European tax laws to the benefit of Multi-nationals. And call it "manufacturing".

peasant wrote: »

Didn't know that but the point still stands that if successive governments of this country had even a glimmer of forward vision that port could have been in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

peasant wrote: »

Damn those Germans, taking away our economy!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Rotterdam is central, Cork is not. No one in their right mind would ship anything to Cork (or anywhere in Irl) instead of Rotterdam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

doyle61 wrote: »
    Another one I said years ago is to open the train line connecting Connolly and Houston that goes under phoenix park.

Jasus, we're getting wildly ambitious now. Couldn't we just link up Connolly with Heuston before we start looking at Texas?

Advertisement