Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help: trying to find a Horse/Pony-drawn cart made in Athenry in the past.....

Options
  • 04-11-2012 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭

Hi I won't double-post, but refer people to the link below.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056798296

Basically I'm trying to find a horse/pony-drawn cart, built by Quinn's in Athenry, right up to the 60's. I'm not asking anyone to give theirs up, just looking for one to photograph and measure, with a view to us making a new one, for posterity/historical purposes. Or even photos' of one.

I've posted in the Equestrian forum, but am trying to cast the net a bit wider, here. They would have been bought in the main by farmers in the West generally as a general purpose cart.

If you can help, let me know - please ask the older generations in your household ! :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Put your request in your sig too, that way it'll also show up under all your posts.
    Good luck

• Site Banned Posts: 4 coppershill

You should try contacting PJ Tonery in galway city. He worked with horses for the county council back in the day. He loves gigs and horse drawn machinary etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

Theres a small cottage museum in Turloughmore with loads of old farm machinery out the back, think there's an old restored cart, not sure where from but Turloughmore very close to Athenry so...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

There's one at the Lackagh muesum in Turloughmore, and Gardiners undertakers / woodworkers in the sq in Athenry sometimes builds / restores them,

Advertisement