Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing airsoft guns from the US to Ireland

Options
  • 03-11-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi everyone.
    This February, I will be going to America, and plan to do a bit of shopping (obviously). I'm planning to get some airsoft guns there as they're cheaper in America. Is there a particular way I should package the gun? Or do I declare it or something? I also heard that I can post it to myself by DHL or UPS or other companies. Does anyone have experience with this? If so, what did you do?
    I will be flying with SAS and Aerlingus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

First of all you would have to have it downgraded to the irish limits of 1J (328fps)

Also check with the airline before hand that they will carry firearms as all carriers will class airsoft as this type of item.

If you wish to carry it onboard the aircraft as hold luggage you must have a hard lockable case as the airline if they carry firearms will not except soft cases of any kind.
    Lastly coming from the states to ireland you need to fill in all customs declaration's and the airline paperwork in regards to ATF for the airline carrier licence if they have one, what i would suggest is check with the airline before purchasing any airsoft rifs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Just get it downgraded, and post it to yourself. You'll owe VAT on it when coming into the country, but at least you won't have to worry about airline regulations (lockable gun case etc).

Remember that they'll come with blaze orange tips as well, which may not be to your fancy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Inari wrote: »
    Remember that they'll come with blaze orange tips as well, which may not be to your fancy :(

Just to add to that, a lot of airsoft guns sold in the US also do not carry trade-markings, or have had bodge-jobs done to deface trademarks where licensing has not been granted for the US market.

If you aren't bothered about those sort of details well then it's no skin off your nose. Otherwise, one more reason not to buy in/from the US unless you absolutely have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 matman997

Cheers lads, all the comments have been helpful :) i will check with the SAS tomorrow, and i dont really mind the orange tips, as they arent required in ireland ( methinks)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

You'd be as well off price wise if you were to buy from Asia and have them shipped to Ireland. The guns in the US have orange paint on the tips too, which is tough to get off, and often the flash hiders are glued on to prevent tampering.
    My advice would be buy here, by all means window shop there but buy in Ireland or have it shipped here from Asia. Also try to get an actual gun range when you're over there, its great fun!

• Advertisement

Stercus,
    As much as I would love to have a game there, the chances of it are slim to none. It'll be our first time in America so we will be going to a lot of places, and in Febuary, many outdoor airsoft sites will be closed, due to Chicago winter, leaving deerer, indoor ones. As regards to the idea of buying in Asia, I will look around. Do you know any good websites? Here, the local airsoft shop is a rip so I'd be paying twice or more of that I would pay elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

I think Stercus Accidit meant to look at real steel shooting ranges, not airsoft venues. :) After all, you probably won't get the opportunity to fire real guns here!

Anyway, some Asian sites to look at are:

www.ehobbyasia.com
    www.airsoft-club.com
    www.rsov.com

Just had a quick look at all the websites. They seem good so I'll spend some more time on them :) The prices are actually pretty good as well. Did you every buy from any of these sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

I haven't, no. As far as I know they are decent though.

When looking at the prices, keep in mind that you also have to consider post and packing, tax and possibly the cost of a downgrade.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    I think Stercus Accidit meant to look at real steel shooting ranges, not airsoft venues. :) After all, you probably won't get the opportunity to fire real guns here!

I wouldn't say that you wont get the opportunity to fire real guns in Ireland, in fact so long as you have a genuine reason for a firearm you can apply for a licence, or if you just fancy trying it out i recommend hopping up to this spot:
    http://www.hilltopshootingsports.com/

Great and friendly staff who are happy to instruct you and an epic day out.
    The one thing you wouldn't get a chance to fire in Ireland are centre-fire pistols, given that their restricted firearms and the GS are no longer issuing new licences for them, so when your over in the states shoot as many as possible, personally I've been hankering after a S&W M&P in .40 :P

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Lads, from the forum charter:
    * There will be no discussion of firearms. As airsoft devices are based on their real steel counterparts, some threads may veer this way. However, try and keep it to a minimum. It is in the best interest of our sports to try and distance ourselves from firearms as much as we can.
    If you want to discuss RS then the shooting forum is at your disposal :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Steve wrote: »
    Lads, from the forum charter:

If you want to discuss RS then the shooting forum is at your disposal :)

Ah my sincerest apologies Steve, I hadn't spotted that bit of the charter. :o

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭whydave

Steve wrote: »
    shooting forum is at your disposal
    Here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭T4RGET

just as a side note the the links for the various retailers. I've used Ehobby in the past. their service is excellent and prices are pretty good. I recently ordered from Taiwangun though as they're based in Poland so are cheaper with shipping etc. I've never bought an AEG or anything from Ehobby or anywhere else out side of Ireland as it rarely works out much cheaper to be honest.

Advertisement