Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to DJing or production? Need help or advice? Post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 joolslee

Advice Needed - I have just bought a pair of secondhand Pioneer CDJ 1000 decks for my son's birthday. They were sold to me as MK2 but I've noticed the date of manufacture is 2001 and I know MK2 wasn't released until 2003.
    Is it possible a MK2 was manufactured 2 yrs before release? Or is there another way of telling whether I have bought MK1's rather than MK2's?
    Sorry if this question seems stupid but I have no idea about these things and I've bought them as a surprise so can't ask my son. I do know he's been wanting these decks for ages and I'm worried he'll be disappointed if they're MK1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I'm not a CD head but believe MK1 and MK3 to be better anyway, but check the serial number.

Looking for some advice on the best light setup for a mobile DJ???

I dont think there is an answer to this.

What is the best piece of string?

hi guys just wondering if anyone know were you could get a x0xb0x or the orginal TB-303 seen a few on ebay but there going for big money.im new to Dj`ing and was looking to getting into it and electronic is favorite genre thanks for any help. Rob

They're expensive, that simple I'm afraid. Maybe a software version might be better?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

joolslee wrote: »
    Advice Needed - I have just bought a pair of secondhand Pioneer CDJ 1000 decks for my son's birthday. They were sold to me as MK2 but I've noticed the date of manufacture is 2001 and I know MK2 wasn't released until 2003.
    Is it possible a MK2 was manufactured 2 yrs before release? Or is there another way of telling whether I have bought MK1's rather than MK2's?
    Sorry if this question seems stupid but I have no idea about these things and I've bought them as a surprise so can't ask my son. I do know he's been wanting these decks for ages and I'm worried he'll be disappointed if they're MK1

Did the seller say they were MK2's? Where did you verify the manufacture date as 2001 for those particular decks? If they are from 2001, they would be MK1's.

If your son is just starting out in Dj'ing or if these are his first set of CD Decks, I'm pretty certain he'll be delighted with a pair of CDJ 1000's, MK1's or not. They will still do a perfectly solid job!

• Advertisement

Looking for some advice on the best light setup for a mobile DJ???

It would depend on your budget really, the more you have the better the possible set up you can get..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Would someone be able to point me in the right direction about where to get dj insurance? I believe I need public liability, accidental damage, transit

• Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Would someone be able to point me in the right direction about where to get dj insurance? I believe I need public liability, accidental damage, transit
    I used to DJ 20 years ago and I am thinking of getting back into it as a hobbie. Not planning any gigs. Back in the day you just had to have 1210's

Every other deck was nowhere near - except maybe the vestax.

So the point is that you were wasting money spending say half the money that you spend on technics. You would be better off to just saving even more until you could get technics.

I am wondering is it the same with those DJ controllers that you can plug into a laptop?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Edit posted wrong section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I used to DJ 20 years ago and I am thinking of getting back into it as a hobbie. Not planning any gigs. Back in the day you just had to have 1210's

So the point is that you were wasting money spending say half the money that you spend on technics. You would be better off to just saving even more until you could get technics.

I am wondering is it the same with those DJ controllers that you can plug into a laptop?

Thanks
    Yeah, there's a few controllers that are well above any others: The Traktor Kontrol S4 and the VCI-400SE are top class but could cost about €1000. I spent €200 on my controller which was something I had to do for me to have something to learn with, but there's definitely a curve upwards.

The Numark Mixtrack Pro is the "starter" controller I'm using (€200) and the Traktor Kontrol S2 is another leap up from that (I think that's in the €350-€400 range right now). Buying a Traktor controller is great too because it comes with the NI Traktor software which is probably the best in the business.

• Advertisement

Thanks

As previous poster mentioned, the Traktor S2 would be a great controller to get. Would provide all the tools that you need to have some fun and deliver some cool sets too!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Sounds
    EMar Sounds

Listening to your favorite artists, you'll find lots of tunes to your taste that way, then go hunt them down.
    I discover lots of new artists and their sounds this way, hard to stick to one genre, but you can paint your own picture.

If you're thinking purchase a midi controller for your music/production software, consider buying one with a keyboard coz you'll wish you did later.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭kulareggae

hi guys well i have been djing for about 2 years online now and want to try and get myself some gigs, how is the best way for me to go about it thanks x

EMar Sounds

Hope you're not in Waterford, where djs think they created house music.
    You can get a lot of gigs online through streaming sites, i'm working a few sites related to streaming

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Maserati23 wrote: »
    Hi does anyone here use VDJ as Video DJ in Pubs clubs Etc.?

I do many pubs etc. But I have tried in vain in setting up multiple monitors for my Videos.

I can set up one monitor , excluding my pc, no problem. But what I really want to do is set up via vga to 2 monitors (tv's) in most pubs. I have all size vga cables up to 20 metre.

Have any of you guys solved this scenario.?

I have also tried wireless etc, which is useless (drop out).

Appreciate any replies.

Best of luck.
    Dunno if your still watching the thread but there is a simple fix for this, google 'VGA splitter', there are dozens on the Market of varying costs and quality, you'll probably get them in maplins also. A simple 1 in 2 out splitter is about a fiver on eBay, this will result in degraded picture quality but it's not even noticeable to be honest.

Better again buy a VGA amplifier, which can handle 1 in 4 out VGA without any loss of quality. This will need a power supply and costs about 50 quid or thereabouts.

Found that most bars and clubs aren't really set up for video myself and it's a real pain running the cables yourself before you start so barely worth it. The screens need to be directly linked to the dj booth where you just plug in to a video distributor to do it properly. Very few places are set up in this way in my experience, and definitely not pubs. If you do have the right venue however it can be really cool, mixing music vids with visuals etc, young crowd in particular seem to like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

EMar Sounds

I think you have to play with a few different programs to get the feel for them and decide which you're more comfortable with.
    Try reason or ableton is nice, you can use it for production or even mixing if you have a controller, i use novation zero sl controller
    if using ableton live, it has auto map software to map all the knobs and switches in your software to your controller, better than using a mouse, once you learn it.
    I got into using native instruments - kontakt a while back, but to use that properly you'd want a midi keyboard, i just loaded it into ableton as an extra tool. .VST plugin.
    The reason i got it was because Sasha released all his old sample, Sasha soundlab for kontakt.. some sweet keys in that kit.
    Ableton is fun to mix with too, i look at it as a record laid out flat on a time line.. but there's nothing like mixing with turntables.
    Even cd decks are a bit too automatic, they can do all the hard work for you, like cueing your tracks, even mixing, that's not good.
    i dont ever wanan be in a club where the djs is chatting to the people and his set is playing itself.
    You're not learning anything if the software is doing everything for you, but if you're gonna produce tracks, then you'll have to learn.
    You could listen and download sample packs too, but that's like 90% of the artists on beatport today... http://www.loopmasters.com
    Anyway as long as good music is being produced who cares what tools you're using to make them as long as you're actually making them.

http://primeloops.com

www.mixlive.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Aldane

Hi there

I'm just new into DJing,
    I mess around on Virtual DJ on the laptop, and recently bought the Dynacord powermate 1600-1. I was wondering if it would be necessary to buy the mixing decks immediately?, will I be able to mix on the PA system?. The gigs I'll be doing would be birthdays and wedding.

Thanks for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Aldane wrote: »
    Hi there

I'm just new into DJing,
    I mess around on Virtual DJ on the laptop, and recently bought the Dynacord powermate 1600-1. I was wondering if it would be necessary to buy the mixing decks immediately?, will I be able to mix on the PA system?. The gigs I'll be doing would be birthdays and wedding.

Thanks for your time.

That's a Mixing Desk rather than a Mixer. Although, it does sound like something Black & Decker make.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Hi guys, I wanted to give music production a go but I'm a beginner to this. I see that Ableton 9 seems to be one of the most popular production programs and the Akai APC40 one of the most popular controllers. However Ableton recently released their own Push controller so I feel this might include more handy features..
    Would this be a good software/hardware combination for complete control over the production process?
    It's very pricey altogether at €1000 and I'm a student so this is barely within my finances, but I'd be willing to take the plunge if I were to dedicate a lot of my time to this. Is it worth it though?

Even with a wealth of experience and skills it seems a lot of producers fail to make it very big, why is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Eathrin wrote: »
    Hi guys, I wanted to give music production a go but I'm a beginner to this. I see that Ableton 9 seems to be one of the most popular production programs and the Akai APC40 one of the most popular controllers. However Ableton recently released their own Push controller so I feel this might include more handy features..
    Would this be a good software/hardware combination for complete control over the production process?
    It's very pricey altogether at €1000 and I'm a student so this is barely within my finances, but I'd be willing to take the plunge if I were to dedicate a lot of my time to this. Is it worth it though?

Even with a wealth of experience and skills it seems a lot of producers fail to make it very big, why is this?

Try the free method first ;)
    Download a copy of Reaper http://www.reaper.fm/
    and have a mess around with that. The trial is completely uncrippled for 60 days and costs only something like €50 for a licence after that.
    You don't strictly need an external controller for producing on a laptop/pc but they are handy when you want to record automations and coming up with riffs. There are loads to choose from and you could pick up a second hand midi keyboard for a decent price. (M-Audio etc ).

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

Reading through a lot of the posts on here I notice a lot of people are/were taking up dj'ing for the wrong reasons.... "I want to get into dj'ing so I can play in clubs, whats the fastest way to do this?" etc.... that is like saying "I am going to learn guitar to be rich and famous" .... I have been mixing for the past 5 years (digitally) and have no intention to do it as a profession / career, granted it would be AMAZING to be able to play house on a beach in Spain etc but the steps to get there involve playing music I don't like in clubs to make a name for myself..... The reason you should do anything is because you love it.... I have played the occasional club night / charity event / party etc but am much more happy in my own house or a mates just having fun blending the music I actually like to create new sounds. This is a very tough industry to make a career out of so make sure you are doing it for a few years and still having fun first.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

slpower01 wrote: »
    Reading through a lot of the posts on here I notice a lot of people are/were taking up dj'ing for the wrong reasons.... "I want to get into dj'ing so I can play in clubs, whats the fastest way to do this?" etc.... that is like saying "I am going to learn guitar to be rich and famous" .... I have been mixing for the past 5 years (digitally) and have no intention to do it as a profession / career, granted it would be AMAZING to be able to play house on a beach in Spain etc but the steps to get there involve playing music I don't like in clubs to make a name for myself..... The reason you should do anything is because you love it.... I have played the occasional club night / charity event / party etc but am much more happy in my own house or a mates just having fun blending the music I actually like to create new sounds. This is a very tough industry to make a career out of so make sure you are doing it for a few years and still having fun first.

Quitter talk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Eathrin wrote: »

Because they're sh¡te?

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Quitter talk!

Quitter or realistic ?? How many people in Ireland make €50,000+ a year as a professional DJ ?... I know its entirely possible with the right choices but getting into music just for the money/reputation is pretty bad advice to give someone starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

just something I've been getting into lately, grew up loving music, admittedly, more on the hard rock side of things, but I'd listen to anything really. Started getting into dance(massive sweeping generalisation I know) there recently and having always loved the performance side of music, always in bands etc, djing seems to be the next natural step.

I borrowed a friends mixtrack pro, just to play around with, wet the feet so to speak and really enjoyed it. Being completely new to this, I've been reading a good bit online about it, and much like all genres of music there seems to be a certain degree of looking down on people for liking certain artists/methods, ie commercial dance acts or the digital route etc. Thankfully, none of my friends would be particularly into dance so I havent been admonished for not doing things the cool way, yet.

anyway th point of this novel is this. I've decided I like this enough to invest. I've decided to go down the digital route, and having lucked out with unexpected holiday pay in work, want to spend enough to get a higher end controller. Through research and reviews online, I THINK I have decided on the traktor s4. Seems to be packed full of cool little features, but the question is this,

any reason not to get it/ get something else instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MickOLeary

Anyone know the best sites to get good mashups from?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Hey all,

Would have a big interest in music and I've been making playlists on 8tracks for my mates but thinking of moving into some small time DJing over the coming months to see how I get on with it.

This would be as a hobby/sideproject so I'm not looking to spend too much money, would this controller do a decent enough job starting off? Or would it be best to spend that little bit extra on this model. It comes with software but if it can be used with other software for mixing then do you have any suggestions?

Also, any tutorial sites etc. would be much appreciated, I've just been looking at reviews on the hardware I require so far so I'll be scanning backwards through the thread for good links :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jako94

Hi, I'm fairly well equipped when it comes to dj'ing, I have been a bedroom DJ for more than a year and have quite a big knowledge of everything (basically I have moved from barely streaming two songs into one another to using effects, hot cues etc..)
    What I lack though is any idea as to 'get out there' and get gigs in nightclubs, bars, parties etc... as until recently i lacked the confidence to show off my skills.
    I currently use a mixtrack pro which I believe does similar jobs to the more expensive pioneer equipment, although I can use CDJ's as well.
    I mainly like to play house/electronic music but I can also DJ using chart music.

I believe that I am better than DJ's that I have seen in clubs, For example I was out last week in a good club in Limerick and all the DJ did was fade one song out then bring the other in, really amateur stuff yet he was being paid well for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 scauldyman

Hey guys, I love music so I wanna get into dj'ing and making songs and stuff, but have absolutely no idea on where to start. I downloaded Mixxx onto my computer, its an app with virtual decks, but for some reason it isn't working. Any tips or advice on how to start with all this?

Advertisement