Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County Jerseys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ceegee

statto25 wrote: »
    EIRE1922 wrote: »
    lefthanded wrote: »
    The change of crest on the Kerry jersey was disgraceful in my opinion and the same with the Kilkenny jersey a couple of years back

I agree there. The Kerry one is wowful. The Kilkenny one is not too bad. Better than the previous County Coat Of Arms.

From what I remember the crests were changed so that oneills/azzurri could trademark them. The majority of crests previously used were the coat of arms for the county councils and oneills needed permission to use them.

The crests are trademarked by the county boards not the manufacturers - it means they can stop people producing fake kits and other memoribilia (posters,calendars etc) and passing them off as being fundraising for the players funds etc.

Having a tm'ed crest is 100% necessary these days, its actually surprising it took some teams so long to introduce them

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

ceegee wrote: »
    The crests are trademarked by the county boards not the manufacturers - it means they can stop people producing fake kits and other memoribilia (posters,calendars etc) and passing them off as being fundraising for the players funds etc.

Having a tm'ed crest is 100% necessary these days, its actually surprising it took some teams so long to introduce them

Yes, that is the main reason they have supposedly done it with new redesigned G.A.A. crests being trademarked by each county board. But, in truth how much of that money actually goes back into grassroots G.A.A. at club level? Clubs are nearly always still having to fundraise for new grounds or new facilities, for playing gear/kit etc. and even some inter-county teams are still having to fundraise for their team holidays.

The G.A.A. and each county board are meant to be amateur organisations, yet they are going down more and more corporate and business avenues. The next thing they will be calling themselves 'franchises' like in American Football!

The original County Coats of Arms were sufficient! Each original Coat of Arms should belong to the people of that county and should be used on all jersies. They do not belong to each County Board or to the G.A.A.! The crests have been long declared to belong in the public domain. This why the county boards did not have the copyright to them.

What gives any county board the right, without at least first asking or consulting with the people of the county before they go change and trademark a county crest!? G.A.A teams are not like premiership clubs. They are made up of players from clubs of each of the 32 counties. That is the difference.

I cannot see how each county board can have the right to use the name of each county as Gaeilge/in Irish on each of the trademarked crests! Those county names still and will always remain in the public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭solarith

Yes, that is the main reason they have supposedly done it with new redesigned G.A.A. crests being trademarked by each county board. But, in truth how much of that money actually goes back into grassroots G.A.A. at club level? Clubs are nearly always still having to fundraise for new grounds or new facilities, for playing gear/kit etc. and even some inter-county teams are still having to fundraise for their team holidays.

The G.A.A. and each county board are meant to be amateur organisations, yet they are going down more and more corporate and business avenues. The next thing they will be calling themselves 'franchises' like in American Football!

The original County Coats of Arms were sufficient! Each original Coat of Arms should belong to the people of that county and should be used on all jersies. They do not belong to each County Board or to the G.A.A.! The crests have been long declared to belong in the public domain. This why the county boards did not have the copyright to them.

What gives any county board the right, without at least first asking or consulting with the people of the county before they go change and trademark a county crest!? G.A.A teams are not like premiership clubs. They are made up of players from clubs of each of the 32 counties. That is the difference.

I cannot see how each county board can have the right to use the name of each county as Gaeilge/in Irish on each of the trademarked crests! Those county names still and will always remain in the public domain.
    Whoa..

Co Boards are elected representatives by everyone to RUN THE COUNTY'S GAA. That's what gives them the right. Your post is so silly it's borderline trolling? I don't even know.

solarith wrote: »
    Whoa..

Co Boards are elected representatives by everyone to RUN THE COUNTY'S GAA. That's what gives them the right. Your post is so silly it's borderline trolling? I don't even know.

Trolling? What are you on about?

No, you are missing the point. I suggest you read correctly what I wrote.

After Tipperary's woeful performance and 18 point hammering to Kilkenny last Sunday, their main jersey sponsor 'Skoda' have announced they are nolonger willing to sponsor the Tipperary Senior Hurling Team after seeing such filth in Croke Park!

However, the Tipperary County Board have immediately stepped in and announced that they have found a replacement car manufacturer to sponsor the Tipperary Senior Hurling team, which will take immediate effect! The new sponsor will be in place for all of next years's Senior Inter-county League and Championship matches!

NewTipperaryjersey.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

What's LADA?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

EIRE1922. All your ideas would be good if it were 1922, but county boards need to raise money to run teams & championships within counties. Man are struggling to keep their heads above boards as it is.

In 2010 it cost €1m to train and prepare all Tippreary hurling and football teams combined. Not sure if it was from minors up or younger age groups up to senior but its still alot of money.

In 2011 it increased by €200k and this year it will probably increase another bit given our involvement in 6 grades up to early August. 2 weeks ago the county board held a 'Telethon' to raise extra funding and the minor footballers had a sponsored cycle from nenagh to clonmel.

Fact is in order to survive then one way of generating huge revenue is for the county board to capitalise on its popularity. Granted the big one in Tipp is senior hurling and that ended in disastrous fashion this year but without the money being spent on teams preparation we'd be in a far worse place if there is such a thing at this point in time :).

Now county boards personnel will always have skeptics as to some of their motives and the way they are organised themselves and im no different in that respect but i totally understand why Tipperary GAA or Kilkenny GAA or Dublin GAA or any other county has to stand out as an individual brand. Supply on demand basically.

The old Tipperary crest for example is based on the old North Tipperary coat of arms and that coat of arms itself uses features from the Butler family crest so it would be impossible to copyright. The words Tiobraid Árann isnt copyrighted but the typeface it is presented in probably is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Neeson wrote: »
    What's LADA?

Loss
    Anger
    Denial
    Acceptance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

If it has to be explained, it's not funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

If it has to be explained, it's not funny.

Indeed. It wasn't funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Google Lada amd dont be lazy. I found it funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

However, the Tipperary County Board have immediately stepped in and announced that they have found a replacement car manufacturer to sponsor the Tipperary Senior Hurling team, which will take immediate effect!

NewTipperaryjersey.jpg
    Loss
    Anger
    Denial
    Acceptance

How is LADA a car manufacturer is what I'd like to know?

Loss
    Anger
    Denial
    Acceptance

I can assure you while there was a loss and alot of anger afterwards there is no denial and plenty of acceptance after it. :)

How is LADA a car manufacturer is what I'd like to know?

Lada is the trademark name of car manufacturer AvtoVAZ, Russia! The cars and company were referred to as Lada!

Lada is the trademark name of car manufacturer AvtoVAZ, Russia! The cars and company were referred to as Lada!

I think what mountainlad was getting at is why Lada were a car manufacturer owing to the fact they were balls of s**te

True! Ha..ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

66512_10151137915159541_857337388_n.jpg

Following a change in sponsorship, we have another new jersey - our third jersey of 2012.

Following a change in sponsorship, we have another new jersey - our third jersey of 2012.

Nice jersey but your post onwards should be put into a brand new 2013 thread which i hope the mods will diverge this thread from your post onwards.

Cork to leave o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Presumably Galway hurling had to change their crest when they moved from O Neills to Gaelic Gear back in 2005.
    Any one know why it wasn't changed back when O Neills got the hurlers back?
    137494.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

That's the football crest now. There's two seperate county boards for Galway GAA.

A bit of a joke changing the Armagh jersey again. Not bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Any word on a new Dublin jersey? We've had the same one since 2010 and to be honest I'm not a fan of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Nice jersey but your post onwards should be put into a brand new 2013 thread which i hope the mods will diverge this thread from your post onwards.

Cork to leave o2.

Thread renamed :)

stetyrrell wrote: »
    Any word on a new Dublin jersey? We've had the same one since 2010 and to be honest I'm not a fan of it.

Dublin will undoubtedly change i think. The 3 year cycle was to make up for the last Arnotts jersey that only last 1 year. (Which was a lovely shirt i might add)

I love the current shirt too. Its an absolute cracker. Would have been nicer with sky blue stripes on the collar ala the same template as Armagh or Tyrone though

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

A bit of a joke changing the Armagh jersey again. Not bad though.

I've sympathy for people who bought the new jersey which is now out of date - I was relatively lucky - was going to old off until Christmas - my daughter did get the pink version though which is now out of date.

Had thought in the circumstances they might offer the new one at a reduced price (didn't Man Utd do that after they ditched the 'grey kit'?) but have since caught myself on!! :rolleyes:

The current Dublin jersey is nice expect for the sponsor. The red Vodafone logo just looks out of place on the jersey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

Dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Alphonso

Think the Armagh one looks nice. DCB seriously should look at getting Vodafone to do something about that red splotch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

any pics of the new Cork jersey? think its out in a few weeks...

Advertisement