Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu won't run from disc at restart

• 24-09-2012 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Hi all,

Having trouble with my copy of Ubuntu 12.04. It just won't boot when I restart even though I have the CD drive set to allow it to boot and to boot first. I used f12 to select from the boot menu, but to no avail too. I've a copy of Xubuntu 12.04 and I put that in and it booted perfectly. Do you know what I'm doing wrong? I have a Ubuntu compatible external hard drive and a Dell Inspiron Mini 11.

I am correct in assuming I can reformat my hard drive from the disc, too?

VB!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Eph1958

Is Ubuntu installed on your hard disk or are you trying to boot from a live CD/DVD? You can change the boot order in your BIOS settings, sometimes pressing F2 at boot-up allows access to these. GParted is included in a Ubuntu Live DVD, and you can partition and format with this (very powerful!!) program.

Ephraim.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    Hi all,

Having trouble with my copy of Ubuntu 12.04. It just won't boot when I restart even though I have the CD drive set to allow it to boot and to boot first. I used f12 to select from the boot menu, but to no avail too. I've a copy of Xubuntu 12.04 and I put that in and it booted perfectly. Do you know what I'm doing wrong? I have a Ubuntu compatible external hard drive and a Dell Inspiron Mini 11.

I am correct in assuming I can reformat my hard drive from the disc, too?

VB!

Have you checked that you have downloaded a good ISO?
    Have you checked you have a good burn?

Have you tried the CD in another PC to see if it will work?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dmire

Make sure that you are burning the iso on to the CD as an image and not a file

• Registered Users Posts: 5 rowshi

If you didn't burn the disc as an image then it may not be bootable. Also, try booting it in another machine if you have one available.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

OP,
    with a modern laptop/netbook like that it shoud recognise USB booting.
    woud recommend using/borrowing a USB stick and installing this free program on the windows OS are using- http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/
    YUMI is very simple to use,it will even download the chosen distros ISO,format and partition the USB stick and install them all onto the stick at the click of a button.
    depending on the size of the stick,it can have multiple bootable distros installed on it, mine is a eight gig one and using YUMI, had installed- pearOS, backbox, DEFT, matriux, porteus, slackopuppy....its a great way to test distros and then once decided on one-use it to format the hard drive and install on it using the USB.
    -using the USB method,woud need to make sure the USB stick is at the top of the list in the BIOS boot sequence, no different to how have done it already with the dvd drive.

in own view its much better than the overcomplication,failiure risk and frailty of discs.

• Advertisement

Unetbootin works great too.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

It will even load 12.04 to the usb for you. Or you can download the iso and transfer it to the usb.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Will91w

You need to make sure that you burned the file as an 'Image' [iso]

Here is a program that will carry out this task for you with 0% hassle: Img Burn

Also, if you choose to boot it from a usb device then you will need to download this: Unetbootin

Both are easy to use. If you still have a problem then just pm me.

Advertisement