Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering project 2013

• 16-10-2012 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭

So we were told what the project was today. For those who haven't been given the brief yet here it is. Not to bad really although I do think it's harder than the last few years projects.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Ya , I would have preferred if it was some sort of vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 6 denis0000

anyone have any ideas on the mechanisms that can be used to grab the table tennis ball?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Reminding people not to upload any photos or details of anything that will be submitted to the SEC. Thanks.

denis0000 wrote: »
    anyone have any ideas on the mechanisms that can be used to grab the table tennis ball?

I presume you can't tamper with the ball

could you put a magnet in the ball or on the grab and lift it that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

Had the same idea of using a magnet in the ball but decided against it. Have my project fully designed already. Just need to do up the drawings.

can a hoover be used in conjuction with the project as the suction technique or what can be used

daz801 wrote: »
    Had the same idea of using a magnet in the ball but decided against it. Have my project fully designed already. Just need to do up the drawings.

Have a fair idea myself, Just doing it up on solidworks now. Only thing im worried about is programming it

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭iFreeley

Programming it? Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MrBigPauL

i heard from a secret source tat u can actually put a hoover on top of a frame and u get full marks, if it dosent work u cn get attempt marks,,,,,YESSSSSS LAADDDD

• Advertisement

iFreeley wrote: »
    Programming it? Jesus.

How else do you think of doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭iFreeley

Em i havent really thought it through yet, but how would you programme it? like would you not have to control it by a joystick of some kind?

the ball can be lifted grabed, or sucked up. was thinking of doing this a number of ways:
    1:some sort of grab system like when your lifting timber using links and springs.
    2:use a sort of spiral/auger sytem to lift the ball up a certain height and then leave the ball roll down a maze, kind of like a track on a roller coaster. you could use a rotating bar with a spiral/auger on the outside to lift the ball.
    3:use a crane system to lift the ball using a fishing line and some sort round shaped feature on the end of the line with bristles off a tooth brush attached to the round shaped grab. this round grab would fit down over the ball with it getting logded in the bristles and lifting with it.
    Does anyone else have any other ideas of how to lift the ball.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,088 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

From the SEC:

General directions to candidates
    1. The project you design, make and submit for examination must be unique and be your
    own individual work, carried out in the school under the supervision of the teacher.

Your own individual work is intended to include the intellectual activity of design
    along with the practical activities of making the model and compiling a folio.

I've already advised against what some forum members are doing in this (and similar threads).
    Please, think about what you are posting.

Sorry didn't read your message properly first time around. thought it only said no photos of the project was aloud. didn't think you weren't aloud to share ideas.

The quote in my last post is from the link outlining the brief.
    It's the SEC instruction.

The SEC have contacted boards previously in relation to exam material being discussed on the forum, so it's just a heads up that discussing exam work in detail on an internet forum (before it has been assessed) might not be the best thing to do.

General discussion is not a problem. It's when people get into specifics that the problem arises.

Will you lose marks if it needs to be connected to an air compressor

• Registered Users Posts: 5 marky1994

just wondering what are people designing to pick up the table tennis ball

I'm using suction, Ran my idea by my teacher today and he gave it the all clear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

Will you lose marks if it needs to be connected to an air compressor

Not too sure but you only loose five marks for going over the size restrictions anyway which is less than 1% over all so it's really not to big of a deal.

• Advertisement

What about if it had to be connected to an external air compressor so the suction could work

i was thinking suction to but a claw would nearly be easier to fit

You'd need to make sure it wouldn't crush the ball

true im not sure of the suction idea tho gettin a small enough suction pipe would b hard

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 MrCraigButler

what is the best thing people have come up with for the lifting mechanism ? and also what are people using to move it :) ? .. anyone who wants to share ideas with me message me if you want and il give you some of my ideas in exchange:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sean Lad

Hello, Having a bit of trouble with the Engineering Project So i though i might try here for help :). So basically we have to build one of those claw crane things you see in arcades, it can only run off a 9v battery. i have a rough idea how to move it up and down and across but i have no clue how i will pick up the table tennis ball any one have and ideas it has to be either suction grab or lift ?? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Remember, you can use as many batteries as you wish but it must be under 9V.

As for the claw, ask your teacher to guidance on that. Also look for claws that don't need any mechanisms involved like mine. Keep it simple, don't make it complex. I'd advise against using a suction device, this has a lot of wiring involved unless you are good with electronics. You could create a forklift type of crane and work your way from there or design something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,828 ✭✭✭kirving

I did my project years ago. I was just thinking that you could use a solenoid connected to a bellows type thing? Sounds like a nice little project.

If it was me, I'd be going with a crane arm type arrangement instead of an overhead track with a descending grabber.

I wondr could you set up the control mechanism with a number of resistors so that a forward movement of a joystick could move a number of motors so the suction cup moves only horizontally? I know that's a bad description!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 mondY65

I done my leaving cert last year, and i think this project is much more difficult. My teacher gave me one really sound piece of advice last year and it was to keep it simple. Of course i didnt listen, and i was lucky things turned out ok. But it added serious amount of extra time, effort and hassle. Simplicity is really the essence of engineering, I realise it now that I'm studying it in college.
    Also another thing is to be individual, use your own ideas, think outside the box. Do your own thing and don't listen to anyone (well maybe your teacher, occasionally). If you have your own idea, stick with it as It will look much better when an examiner comes into a room, your project will instantly stand out.
    Anyone need any help, I'll gladly help. I also have a load of really good(a1 standard) theory notes of anyone wants them, contact me.
    Good Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 padraig100

a hoover that runs off 9 volts?? good luck son..

Advertisement