Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering project 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MrBigPauL

spam link

Take a look at my project nearly finished nw just need to wire it up and get it polished

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

MrBigPauL wrote: »
    spam link
    Take a look at my project nearly finished nw just need to wire it up and get it polished

A hoover? You've exceeded the maximum stated dimensions for the project so you lose a few marks...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Daniel L

hah a hoover :L im still working on my design the mesurements are tricky :s! do you make all the pieces first? then put it together and if it works, take them all apart again then polish each piece and put bak together again? im confused its my second year doing engineering not very keen on the whole project

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Daniel L wrote: »
    hah a hoover :L im still working on my design the mesurements are tricky :s! do you make all the pieces first? then put it together and if it works, take them all apart again then polish each piece and put bak together again? im confused its my second year doing engineering not very keen on the whole project

Do it bit by bit like for the structure, just make the bars, assemble it and see if it suits your criteria, if so, then move on to the next part of the project and repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Colinoneill

Any one else's powered by Stirling engine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 MrBigPauL

just after fitting the engine there shes flying, must polish it nw so i get more marks and must get a gallon of diesel 2 for it ,she light enough on deisel 2

• Registered Users Posts: 11 typical username

Hey :)
    I was told by my teacher who isn't a very trustworthy source of information...that the Engineering project can't exceed 350mm on ANY individual part.
    This is what the brief says:
    "Presentation of the completed model should ensure that:
    (b) The longest dimension of the model does not exceed 350 mm".

There are parts I have that are technically about 400mm+ but they've been bent on a stripheater so the overall dimension still doesn't exceed 350mm.

So my question is, can individual parts with bends exceed 350mm? Thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

(b) The longest dimension of the model does not exceed 350 mm

No matter what shape your part is, could it fit in a box with a 350mm side?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 MrCraigButler

Hey :)
    I was told by my teacher who isn't a very trustworthy source of information...that the Engineering project can't exceed 350mm on ANY individual part.
    This is what the brief says:
    "Presentation of the completed model should ensure that:
    (b) The longest dimension of the model does not exceed 350 mm".

There are parts I have that are technically about 400mm+ but they've been bent on a stripheater so the overall dimension still doesn't exceed 350mm.

So my question is, can individual parts with bends exceed 350mm? Thanks.
    ... Send a picture of your piece :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 typical username

Yes, of course!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

... Send a picture of your piece :)

Do not post, or ask others to post pictures of exam work

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Bartek664

I wish my teacher was so helpfull and help me with my project ! Nearly february and still havent done a thing . I wanted to use 3 fingers claw like the one they use on scrap yard but teacher said its not possible to make it open and close . Any ideas how can i make it close and open ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Lad95

does anyone have any idea's to knock the ping pong ball out of pvc cylinder, it picks up the ball but i need to knock it out into the scoring zone??

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Supermensch

Lad95 wrote: »
    does anyone have any idea's to knock the ping pong ball out of pvc cylinder, it picks up the ball but i need to knock it out into the scoring zone??

Have you thought about using a linear actuator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Niiall

Right, calling all engineering students. I've come to a brick wall with the claw. What is everyone doing?? I have the bulk of the project done but just have no idea how im going to approach even beginning to build a claw, or a vacuum of some sort. Any ideas, or what are you all doing?

Niiall wrote: »
    Right, calling all engineering students. I've come to a brick wall with the claw. What is everyone doing?? I have the bulk of the project done but just have no idea how im going to approach even beginning to build a claw, or a vacuum of some sort. Any ideas, or what are you all doing?
    Mine is literally a piece of metal bent into a v shape , when it drops the force of it grips the ball , to get the ball off lower it onto a pole then

Mine is literally a piece of metal bent into a v shape , when it drops the force of it grips the ball , to get the ball off lower it onto a pole then

How do you get the ball out of your v shape into the hole?

drop it onto a poll , anyone do their Enhgineering pre yet ?

drop it onto a poll , anyone do their Enhgineering pre yet ?

Dont see how that would work, but ok. Yeah engineering mock was grand.

Dont see how that would work, but ok. Yeah engineering mock was grand.
    The ball is lowered and when it hits the poll it's gets pushed either back up into the pick up area or else rolls into the scoring zone , <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 richard sharpacus

i'm still confused about something. in the brief it says a lift grab or suction technique. so does that mean if i had the ball on a pedastel, and a swinging arm knocked it off to the platform below without grabbing hold of it, would that be alrite?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pjm10

i'm still confused about something. in the brief it says a lift grab or suction technique. so does that mean if i had the ball on a pedastel, and a swinging arm knocked it off to the platform below without grabbing hold of it, would that be alrite?
    Im thinking of doing something similar, not too sure if i am allowed to tho! my teacher isnt much help

pjm10 wrote: »
    Im thinking of doing something similar, not too sure if i am allowed to tho! my teacher isnt much help

Is it using a lift, grab or suction technique?
    If so, then you can use it, if not, then you can't.

Holy crap!! These projects have to be done by March 1st!! WHAT!??

Wait what year is it? Seriously though you should be finished... You might aswell give up

Finished? Pahaha, that's funny dude, and you seem like a charming guy! But let me know how you get on in June, looking forward to rubbing this one in your face :)

im nearly done mine .. my design is basically a boom arm crane ... i have the hopper done for the rotating scoring sysytem and all i need to do now is make a brass runner for the ball to go back to its original point :)

oh and the engineering mock was easy lads :) !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

• Advertisement

Finished? Pahaha, that's funny dude, and you seem like a charming guy! But let me know how you get on in June, looking forward to rubbing this one in your face :)

Haha relax and learn to take a joke! I'm actually around 70% finished at the moment.

Advertisement