Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dkit spammers

Options
  • 03-10-2012 6:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or do dkit staff love spamming students?
    We get around 5 emails a week from jobsworth library staff telling us about their newest innovations that no one cares about. Moodle is set up to email all notifications, such as new replies to forum posts and private messages. Annoyingly, This option cannot be disabled. Every dickhead Who has any involvement in a club or society is also able to spam the entire student body.
    I currently have my college mail diverted to my gmail address but will probably have to disable this because so much irrelevant crap is ending up in my inbox.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 HairyJim

tony81 wrote: »
    Is it just me or do dkit staff love spamming students?
    We get around 5 emails a week from jobsworth library staff telling us about their newest innovations that no one cares about. Moodle is set up to email all notifications, such as new replies to forum posts and private messages. Annoyingly, This option cannot be disabled. Every dickhead Who has any involvement in a club or society is also able to spam the entire student body.
    I currently have my college mail diverted to my gmail address but will probably have to disable this because so much irrelevant crap is ending up in my inbox.
    Set up a filter in gmail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

HairyJim wrote: »
    Set up a filter in gmail.

Yes, I've blocked certain senders. But it's pretty hard to filter moodle as the email subject is the moodle subject. Also today Ciara Patterson from the archery club spammed the entire student body with news of a bake sale. Seriously, Items like this should be in the news letter. I find the college email unusable for these reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I can't see how it's as bad as your making it out to be, the majority of the stuff in my inbox is to do with work related to my course.

And by the way, Ciara Patterson is the sports and societies officer, it's up to her to notify people in the college about the societies, hardly falls under what spam actually means anyway. And calling people involved in societies dickheads? Cop yourself on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Didn't mean to Single anyone out, that was the most recent email i got.

Surely ciara, ann cleary, student union president and Margaret Clarke could get together and organise timely, non-urgent news for inclusion in the weekly news letter which they send out anyway!
    The news letter should also be sent in a rich text digest format.

As for emails being relevant to your college work... that's the point of college email! But sending email notifications for every update on moodle is crazy, particularly if moodle is used correctly by the class... for example if a lecturer sets up a discussion forum for a particular topic and it gets 50 responses. This currently results in 50 emails. I.T refused to Enable these type of notifications as an optional setting despite it being possible.

I turned off moodle notifications but as a result won't get notified of proper notifications eg new assignments or grade notifications.

Just a gripe. Many organisations implement email policies to prevent email overload of this type, where important email gets lost among irrelevant or spammy ones.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Could you not speak to the college administrator regarding email policies, even go to the Students Union.

• Advertisement
Advertisement