Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Airsoft

Options
  • 20-10-2012 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

I have been intrigued by Airsoft for some time. I was looking at guns a few months back and lost interest due to the prices.

Then out of the blue, for my Birthdaymy GF got me a nifty little Colt 1911, gas, BB's the lot. Cool i thought.

But so as it doesnt just sit there is there anyway I can use it and take it to an event or soemthing?
    Is that enough to get me started? I dont want to shell out another €3-400 for more kit just yet.

Any one have an idea of Events around the Mullingar area, taveling up to 60k is no problem either

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dinnybyrne

platinums wrote: »
    I have been intrigued by Airsoft for some time. I was looking at guns a few months back and lost interest due to the prices.

Then out of the blue, for my Birthdaymy GF got me a nifty little Colt 1911, gas, BB's the lot. Cool i thought.

But so as it doesnt just sit there is there anyway I can use it and take it to an event or soemthing?
    Is that enough to get me started? I dont want to shell out another €3-400 for more kit just yet.

Any one have an idea of Events around the Mullingar area, taveling up to 60k is no problem either
    im a mullingar airsofter myself. The nearest spot is the compound near kells,its a very good site and its about 40mins away.they do rentals there so just give paul a call before you show up. Dont be in any rush to get any gear , once you get the bug you will spend all your spare cash!! And welcome to the wonderful world of airsoft you wont regret it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

Dinny made a good point there, try a rental before you shell out the dosh if you like that much then you can justify the expense.

Only thing I will say the initial start up cost can be quite high this all depending if you want to buy good quality gear i.e a good brand of aeg, clothing, accessories etc but once that is done your sorted only thing is when your bitten you want more and more be it a new aeg or knee pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Inari

Southern Dandy is right - Airsoft does have a substantial startup cost...but so do most hobbies e.g. surfing, Kayaking, Rock Climbing, BMX etc...the trick is to test the water before plunging arse-deep into it :)

If you want to try it out using only your pistol, then Kilkenny Airsoft shooting range or Tallaght CQB skirmish site are the only two places I can think of where just a pistol would suffice.

I would strongly echo the advice of the lads above and rent before buying, as if you are 100% sure you're going to stick with it then you can go for higher quality brands from the get go and bypass the "starter gun" stuff - plus gun and gear selection depends entirely on how you play, and how you want to be seen. Welcome to Airsoft; home of the fashion police :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I took the plunge and bought high quality helikon camo gear but tbh, I usually wear my cheapo flektarn bdu as I don't mind crawling around in the muck in that as it cost a third of the price:p

I think most guys who got into airsoft made some purchasing decisions that they later regretted. You don't need a full load out when starting off. Some cheap camo gear, some ankle boots, and eye/face protection is all you need to start out, and a gun of course:D. Later on, if you decide you like this hobby, you can add a tac vest, helmet, knee pads, pistol holster etc etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I think most guys who got into airsoft made some purchasing decisions that they later regretted.

Preach on brother....garage full of wall hanger and useless accessories. Defo try before u buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 dancer14

yep,i agree that you dont need a whole lot at the start but on the other hand i would say just be cautious about rentals.in my expierience they are not looked after like you would your own gear.i have been out a few times and have seen rental guns that have been in a sorry state of repair...what im try saying is if you get a "bad" gun dont let it put you off

Advertisement