Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you meet any Star Trek actors?

• 15-10-2012 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭

Who did you meet? Were they cool or assholes?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Who did you meet? Were they cool or assholes?

Nope.. I think they all have an appreciation for the types of people that will want to talk to them.

For me if i had to create a wishlist it would be something like this

1) Patrick Stewart
    2) Michael Dorn
    3) Frakes
    4) Tim Russ
    5) Denise Crosby
    6) Bakula (as much for QL as for ST)
    7) Jolene with the point ears :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I have to say Denise Crosby wouldn't be on my wishlist at all, she just reeks of someone who regrets the decision to leave the show every day.

1) Avery Brooks
    2) Patrick Stewart
    3) Andrew Robinson
    4) Mark Alaimo
    5) Colm Meaney

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

EnterNow wrote: »
    I have to say Denise Crosby wouldn't be on my wishlist at all, she just reeks of someone who regrets the decision to leave the show every day.

1) Avery Brooks
    2) Patrick Stewart
    3) Andrew Robinson
    4) Mark Alaimo
    5) Colm Meaney

Yep thats the reason i want to talk to her! Worf was great but would have liked to see a bit more Yar tbh!

Just Dukat and Garak what a moron!

JG Hertzler, Worfs brother, Weyoun.. so many and so little time!

Just Dukat and Garak what a moron!

:confused:

:confused:

I mean im a moron for forgetting about them!
    Damn my bad punctuation!

• Advertisement

I mean im a moron for forgetting about them!
    Damn my bad punctuation!

Ah I see :D

Garak & Dukat are both portrayed so so well, in fact, on closer thought, I think I'd rearrange my list to be:

1) Andrew Robinson
    2) Mark Alaimo
    3) Avery Brooks
    4) Brent Spiner
    5) Colm Meaney

6) Patrick Stewart
    7) Jeffrey Combs
    8) Nana Visitor
    9) Armin Shimmerman
    10) Dwight Schultz

Damn, so many people so little places on a ten place list

10) Dwight Schultz

On a slightly geeky note, i did meet Dirk Benedict (Original Battlestar Galactica) in a toilet, while he was smoking a cigar while i had a cigar shirt on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Haven't met any of them myself but if we're talking hypothetical dinner party followed by pints, I'm going to pretend the dinner reservation is for a dozen:

1) Patrick Stewart
    2) Avery Brooks
    3) Jonathan Frakes
    4) Andrew Robinson
    5) Jeffrey Combs
    6) Mark Alaimo
    7) Jolene Blalock
    8) William Sadler
    9) Robert Picardo
    10) Jeri Ryan
    11) Michael Dorn

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

My wishlist would be

Patrick Stewart
    Brent Spiner
    Michael Dorn
    William Shatner
    George Takei
    Leonard Nimoy
    Jonathan Frakes
    Marina Sirtis
    Avery Brooks
    Terry Farrell
    Alexander Siddig
    Colm Meaney

That would be my 12, probably in order of preference. Would be a hell of a party.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

On a slightly geeky note, i did meet Dirk Benedict (Original Battlestar Galactica) in a toilet, while he was smoking a cigar while i had a cigar shirt on :D

Dont foget he was the faceman in the A-Team :D

• Advertisement

Dont foget he was the faceman in the A-Team :D

I know, i was going for the Sci Fi connection:p

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭boris232

I met Alexander Siddig (Dr. Bashir DS9) outside Dunnes on Georges Street about 11 years ago. He was in Ireland filming "Reign of Fire". He knew straight away that I recognised him and stopped to talk. Seemed a very pleasant fellow but was rushing back to the pub at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

boris232 wrote: »
    I met Alexander Siddig (Dr. Bashir DS9) outside Dunnes on Georges Street about 11 years ago. He was in Ireland filming "Reign of Fire". He knew straight away that I recognised him and stopped to talk. Seemed a very pleasant fellow but was rushing back to the pub at the time.

Wow, why would he be outside a place like Dunnes? Why would he frequent a pub?

Why would he frequent a pub?

Well god knows what happened to Quarks now with Rom as the Grand Nagus...probably not worth Quarks while opening the doors...

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭boris232

Ah he was on an Away Mission!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

We ran into Colm Meaney several years back just off Grafton Street. I (the Star Trek fan) didn't even recognise him and my wife said something along the lines of 'isn't that your guy from your favourite TV show?' which made me double-back.

qwertz wrote: »
    We ran into Colm Meaney several years back just off Grafton Street. I (the Star Trek fan) didn't even recognise him and my wife said something along the lines of 'isn't that your guy from your favourite TV show?' which made me double-back.

Wow that's cool. When I was four or five I asked some random dude in a shop if he was the dude from Star Trek because he looked like Colm Meaney although I don't think he was. I also almost got my photo taken with George Takei at a Star Trek convention when I was six but it didn't happen for some reason. Yes I was watching Star Trek from a young age, some incredible memories, Q Who, in which the TNG crew make first contact with the borg, unsettled me out with its weirdness, to the extent that I would dream of giant cubes in space with luxury features like tennis courts and swimming pools. But yeah, it'd be interesting talking to Colm Meaney, he was in TNG from the very first episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭cassette50

I've met the following:

Patrick Stewart- ok...no chat....just signed the item.
    Avery Brooks- surprisingly relaxed and had plenty of time for a chat.
    William Shatner- same as Stewart.
    Scott Bakula- very down to earth and takes the time to talk to fans.

So the bigger the star...the bigger the asshole seems to be true.

Patrick Stewart I'm unsurprised by, I saw a vid where he refused to take a photograph with some fans, polite etc but just about because he seemed quite annoyed by them. I guess if you sign autographs a lot it probably becomes a monotonous chore.

William Shatner is an asshole although a legendary one.

Avery Brooks I'm surprised by, he's comes across as quite angry in interviews.

Scott Bakula, n/a.

I'd be interested in knowing what Brent Spiner is like, I imagine he's an asshole, he even said he was more like Lore than Data and he took too much control over the films, eg the B4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ambushed kira outside at a star trek convention at dcu or ucd and "met" or "queued in line to get autographs from" bashir and garak (although i didnt actually get garaks autograph.. I had no idea he was garak, just walked on by him... such a fool)

got autographs from worf and crusher at the first contract premier in dublin. i got worfs handy enough i think but I couldnt get crushers attention (i was only little) so some nice man lifted me up in the air and waved me around a bit to catch her attention, then she signed my star trek encyclopedia

also at the first contact premier.. i'm 99% it wasn't him but there was a man who looked just like shatner throwing mad shapes on the dancefloor after the film.

--edit

I also asked bashir if he believed in aliens, and the entire lecture hall full of star trek fans groaned in disgust at me. bastards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭Daith

Only met Nana Visitor but she seemed like a cool lady. Chatted for a bit which was more me mumbling and trying to think of things to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

We went over to Destination Star Trek London at the weekend and met:

Patrick Stewart
    William Shatner
    Avery Brooks
    Scott Bakula
    Kate Mulgrew
    Robert O'Reilly (Gowron)
    J.G. Hertzler (Martok)

And we had others walking past us throughout the day, Connor Trineer, Mark Alaimo etc!

Who stood out as the soundest of them?

Who stood out as the soundest of them?

Definitely J.G and Robert. We did the photoshoot with them dressed as Martok and Gowron and they had everyone in stitches! They were doing anything people wanted, getting people in headlocks, grabbing their lapels etc! They really enjoyed themselves, it was great to see!

Scott Bakula and Avery Brooks were very nice too, shaking hands and having a quick chat. To be fair Patrick and William were very polite and nice too, but obviously way more harassed by fans so less time for chatting. Met Patrick before at a theatre and he was a gentleman

Narsil wrote: »
    Definitely J.G and Robert. We did the photoshoot with them dressed as Martok and Gowron and they had everyone in stitches! They were doing anything people wanted, getting people in headlocks, grabbing their lapels etc! They really enjoyed themselves, it was great to see!

Scott Bakula and Avery Brooks were very nice too, shaking hands and having a quick chat. To be fair Patrick and William were very polite and nice too, but obviously way more harassed by fans so less time for chatting. Met Patrick before at a theatre and he was a gentleman

SSOO jealous!

Would love to meet Brooks in the flesh? Did you talk to him? What did he say?

/insane trek nerd rabble

I just wanted an excuse to post this

SSOO jealous!

Would love to meet Brooks in the flesh? Did you talk to him? What did he say?

/insane trek nerd rabble

Well as we didnt have much money left between us(everything was mentally expensive) we had to split up for the Brooks/Bakula shoot. I loooved Quantum Leap when it was on so I took Bakula and my partner always loved Sisko so he took Brooks. The queue was big so he didnt get much time with him, but he was shaking hands and just asking how he was and thanking him for coming. My partner said he was just very friendly and affable.

Seems like a deep guy though, I'd say he thinks about everything before talking. At the opening ceremony he thought about what was his favourite book for about 5 minutes!

I didnt go to this because i was gonna to to the NFL this weekend in London, but cant get tickets for that.

So now I'm a mixture of :mad::mad::(:(:(

We went over to Destination Star Trek London at the weekend and met:

Patrick Stewart
    William Shatner
    Avery Brooks
    Scott Bakula
    Kate Mulgrew
    Robert O'Reilly (Gowron)
    J.G. Hertzler (Martok)

And we had others walking past us throughout the day, Connor Trineer, Mark Alaimo etc!

Doh! I forgot to type Michael Dorn into that too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭somuj

Doh! I forgot to type Michael Dorn into that too!

Blasphemy

Advertisement