Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you own a car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,306 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I have 2 bikes and 0 cars :)
    I never really needed a car during college as I could get there quicker on my bike! I'm in the process of getting a provisional license at the moment so the plan is to get insured on my girlfriend's car. And hopefully buy a car in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

And hopefully buy a car in the not too distant future.

Boo!*

*That's 'boo' as in 'I disagree with your lifestyle choices' rather than 'boo' as in 'halloween's coming, say something perfunctory yet apt' or 'boo' as in 'boo-urns.'

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Have car, I drive a lot.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i own a big 2.5 liter land rover that does about 20 miles to the gallon :D i even it out with the odd cycle though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

To be honest, the current plan is to have a partner/kids that fits around my project of cycling everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

1 car, 1 bike.

Not a big fan of driving on the road. I do love driving fast but I don't get the opportunity to do so safely or responsibly. I get my speed kicks coming down Howth on the bike.

Unfortunately I need the car most days for work. If I could make it from Dublin to Cork and back in a day, on a cargo bike, without breaking a sweat, the car would be gone straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Flandria

3 bikes, no car

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

We have 2 cars, both our commutes are 30+ miles. Joys of living out in the country and working in Cork citty

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭luapenak

4 bikes, 1 car. Car mainly for work (when away from the office) and doing the weekly grocery shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Had a nice 2.5 litre sports car that spent most of its time in the drive depreciating (heavily) as I drive a company car. Sold the sports car recently as it was a waste of money and space. Only ride the bike for training, sportives and racing.

The car is a must for me for my life. The bike is for fun and suffering!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Wife has her own runabout, I have a big dirty family car.

Our location and my wife's job means that two cars really is the minimum to get anything practical accomplished. Cargo bikes are a nice idea but just wouldn't feasibly work for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

Have a car, a van for my work and a campervan. Have 4 bikes which don't get enough use. Campervan is for sale if anybody is interested. Great for cycling holidays in France

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

2 cars in our house - 8 bikes. My bike worth more than my car. Cycle about 3 times the amount I drive (although I don't have to chase around after the kids)

seamus wrote: »
    Wife has her own runabout, I have a big dirty family car.

Our location and my wife's job means that two cars really is the minimum to get anything practical accomplished. Cargo bikes are a nice idea but just wouldn't feasibly work for me.

Wash it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Had a car since I was 17, finally saw the light and got a bike in 2006. Since then I still drive, but no longer have my own car. Which suits me down to the ground because if I need to drive, the only cars I'm insured on (got rid of my own policy last year) are some sweet ass german panzerwagens.

Yes, nothing says pretentious south-sider douche-bag like taking an s-class on a surfing trip.

I'll probably always have a car, but I really hope I never have to drive to work. Sucks all the fun out of the commute.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Had a car since I was 17, finally saw the light and got a bike in 2006. Since then I still drive, but no longer have my own car. Which suits me down to the ground because if I need to drive, the only cars I'm insured on (got rid of my own policy last year) are some sweet ass german panzerwagens.

Yes, nothing says pretentious south-sider douche-bag like taking an s-class on a surfing trip.

I'll probably always have a car, but I really hope I never have to drive to work. Sucks all the fun out of the commute.

But not the warmth and dryness!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    But not the warmth and dryness!

Actually, with my conversion to a fully fledged, mudguard-sporting commuter coupled with a pair of PRO H20 overshoes, I've been quite dry when I get in in the mornings. Warmth is relative, after 10 minutes of high-tempo commuting, I'm fairly toasty.

Don't get me wrong, sitting in a nice warm car is hard to beat, but sitting in a nice warm car that's going nowhere when I need to be somewhere is stressful.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Actually, with my conversion to a fully fledged, mudguard-sporting commuter coupled with a pair of PRO H20 overshoes, I've been quite dry when I get in in the mornings. Warmth is relative, after 10 minutes of high-tempo commuting, I'm fairly toasty.

Don't get me wrong, sitting in a nice warm car is hard to beat, but sitting in a nice warm car that's going nowhere when I need to be somewhere is stressful.

Sounds like you need to plan better and anticipate traffic patterns my young friend!

Troll, troll, troll, troll............

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Own a car, commute to work on the bike, spend all day driving around in company van, then commute home again. Company van comes home for the weekends.
    Love my car and its comfort for the longer journeys.
    I don't think my 6yr old niece would want a crossbar home all the way to Wicklow later today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

I have car - its latterly stiff but vertically compliant for comfort

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

2 people, 2 cars and 7 bikes in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

One car which I use a couple of times at the weekend. I commute by bike all year and we normally bring the kids to school by bike or on foot. If the rain is very bad we will drive them but that doesn't happen very often.

Other half uses it for work trips, we both use it for shopping etc.

Used to have a company car but that just made me fat, lazy and generally annoyed with the world. Sitting in traffic listening to talk radio does that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Nope, haven't driven in over ten years. It's not worth the cost/benefit for me personally. Cycling into work is always the same time and it's actually faster to cycle around town (usually on the Dublin bikes) than to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Rezident

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Sounds like you need to plan better and anticipate traffic patterns my young friend!

Troll, troll, troll, troll............

If you work in the city centre and you start at 9 - 9:30 how do you anticipate avoiding traffic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

John37 wrote: »
    got rid of my car a few weeks ago as I could not justify looking at sitting in the driveway like an ornament and paying road tax and insurance at the same time. Its bikes all the way for me:D

Driveway tax, surely. ;)

I own a car, but don't tell anybody over in Motors or Commuting & Transport because it might complicate their favourite jibe that I'm an anti-car motorist-hater.

Which reminds me, must pay my €478 Motor Tax bill...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

We have 1 car (and 8 bikes, not including our 3yr-old's eclectic trio) but my wife and I always commute by bike, and my wife brings our daughter to and from the creche in a child trailer attached to her bike. The car gets used once a week for shopping and maybe once at the weekend (though not every weekend) for a trip to relatives or playground. We chose where we live based on our intention to commute by bicycle, and 12 years on that's still working out well for us - it means we bought a house somewhere undesirable (it's still not a popular location, but people don't visibly flinch as much as they used to when we tell them where!), but sooner that than feel obliged to sit and spin in a car each day. Due to such decisions, and circumstances, we only ended up with our first car a short few years ago.

So our car spends most of its time sitting in the driveway. I've lost count of the number of occasions where someone has said "I knocked on your door but you never answered", and when I say "'Cos I wasn't there" they reply, with a certain amount of indignation, "But your car was parked outside". Apparently it's considered extremely odd not to have some form of short umbilical cord running between a person and their car.

• Site Banned Posts: 161 ✭✭John37

doozerie wrote: »
    We have 1 car (and 8 bikes, not including our 3yr-old's eclectic trio) but my wife and I always commute by bike, and my wife brings our daughter to and from the creche in a child trailer attached to her bike. The car gets used once a week for shopping and maybe once at the weekend (though not every weekend) for a trip to relatives or playground. We chose where we live based on our intention to commute by bicycle, and 12 years on that's still working out well for us - it means we bought a house somewhere undesirable (it's still not a popular location, but people don't visibly flinch as much as they used to when we tell them where!), but sooner that than feel obliged to sit and spin in a car each day. Due to such decisions, and circumstances, we only ended up with our first car a short few years ago.

So our car spends most of its time sitting in the driveway. I've lost count of the number of occasions where someone has said "I knocked on your door but you never answered", and when I say "'Cos I wasn't there" they reply, with a certain amount of indignation, "But your car was parked outside". Apparently it's considered extremely odd not to have some form of short umbilical cord running between a person and their car.

Fair play. Its the way all families should be nowadays. People are too reliant on cars and use them practically for very journey they take. If they followed your example they would not only save on costs and stress but would also cut down on the risk of their children becoming obese. Oh and also contribute to a greener environment:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

doozerie wrote: »
    I've lost count of the number of occasions where someone has said "I knocked on your door but you never answered", and when I say "'Cos I wasn't there" they reply, with a certain amount of indignation, "But your car was parked outside". Apparently it's considered extremely odd not to have some form of short umbilical cord running between a person and their car.
    Yeah, that is something I experience every day, mainly at work - people and their cars, i.e. like their second homes. I am amazed how some people can be attached to their cars. I am sorry for them :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

I have a car. It's really old, like myself, but it works, like myself. I cycle to work, but take the car if I need to get the groceries on the way home or if I know the wind will be gale force 9 or greater. I would say that I cycle to work five days a week most weeks, though occasionally, I take the car. I have two bikes. I have put less than 30,000 miles on the car in the six years or so that I have owned it. I love driving, but I hate drivers. It was either a gun or a bike. I went bike.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 161 ✭✭John37

Its amusing the amount of people I see where I live washing their cars on Saturdays adn they do it pretty much every week. Its like an obsession. I know we bike folks like to look after our bikes well and keep them in good running and road worthy order but car owners take it to a different level

Advertisement