Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you own a car

Options
  • 19-10-2012 8:20pm
    Site Banned Posts: 161 ✭✭

Just curius amongst the cycling die hards here do you own a car, if so do you use it or just prefer to cycle everywhere and if you don't own a car do you still have a full licence. Me personally have a full licence but got rid of my car a few weeks ago as I could not justify looking at sitting in the driveway like an ornament and paying road tax and insurance at the same time. Its bikes all the way for me:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Never had a car, never bothered getting a licence :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I like cars, so yes I do. But cycling is my number one mode of transport:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I cant get round without the car sadly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

we had two cars. sold one. I use the bike or public transport more than the car.

bike is usually at least 3 days a week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I do own a car, but the other half uses it, as I commute to work by bike every day (so I do not consider it as rally "my own" although it is registered on my name). I used to have another car for my own, but when I started cycling full time (12 months ago), I soon sold it, as it became a bit pointless to keep it. So all the money I used to spend on motor tax, insurance, fuel, maintenance, etc. now go towards bike bits and equipment.
    And I much prefer it that way :).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

No car and no licence, and I don't intend to get either any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chinwag

I'm a bit like yourself OP, car mostly in driveway. I cycle locally quite often but I do need the car tbh, at least while I can (just about) afford it - car ownership is poor value for money, crazy really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Use the car for the school run mainly and the odd trip down the country. Commute to work by bike about 75% of time. Have to take the car if I'm 'on the road' at work. (And I have a licence in all 14 categories. :))

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Currently only own the 3 cars (a few more bikes though and cycle as much as I can)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭AverageJoe82

Ya have car, 2 bikes and a company van, thinking of bringing the car on a bog road and drive the ****e out of it!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Don't own a car, never have. Don't have a license, wouldn't mind getting one but there are a lot of other higher priority qualifications I'd like to get first.

I'd like to get a car at some stage for playing with, cruising around in and tinkering with. I have no intention of ever relying on a personal car for any practical use if I can help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I have a car, and motorcycle. I bought a nice impractical car specifically because I don't use it much so when I do, I enjoy being in it. It serves me well getting me and the bike to races but I could go weeks without driving it.
    I do more kms on the bicycle than the motorcycle nowadays, but it is handy for getting home in time to go to the club league races without leaving work early.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭billyhead

Same as yourself op. Got rid of the car a few months ago. Complete waste of money if you ask me. Also i hated driving a car and stuck in traffic watching cyclists whizzing by. Just gave me the urge to use the bike as my main mode of transport and to keep fit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭opti0nal

John37 wrote: »
    Just curius amongst the cycling die hards here do you own a car, if so do you use it or just prefer to cycle everywhere and if you don't own a car do you still have a full licence. Me personally have a full licence but got rid of my car a few weeks ago as I could not justify looking at sitting in the driveway like an ornament and paying road tax and insurance at the same time. Its bikes all the way for me:D
    Mine's worth less than the cheapest of my four bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

opti0nal wrote: »
    Mine's worth less than the cheapest of my four bikes.
    Same here. Rule nr 25 all the way ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Bechermann

I have a car, and I love driving! It's necessary though for travelling up to college. It was very difficult to avoid thinking about all of the parts and gear I could've bought with what it cost to insure it! It's worth less than my bike though, and it has plenty of space for carrying said bike!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Cars rock. I love me cycling and training but ain't no CF SLX SL SL SL carbon chorus-record carboney sram 9.8 made yet that'll take meself, the wife and the kids to Cork for the weekend.

and the bikes too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bike worth twice as much as the car - enough said :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭feck sake lads

yeah 2 bikes one car use the lot all the time use the bikes for day rides weekend cycling touring nothing else the car fills in the rest of the time.
    have the full licence since i was seventeen god forbid i had to go a do a test now i would end up in jail .:cool::D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Have a car. Use it. Have a bike. Use it. Have two legs. Use them too. Sometimes use a db card along with the legs. It's a question of picking the tool for the job. Couldn't do without any of them.

I never use the bus though. Buses are a bit crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

i cycle everywhere. Even when theres nowhere to go. If i'd had a Licence, i'd have sent a few folk to the next world.

I find though - cycling on pavements in a midland town can excite the contrary people off their perch - 'you can't cycle on the pavement !!' i get usually from an ould one. Or a very frustrated-with-life younger one. And they'd deliberatley go out of their way to stand in your path. And the pavement is already like a freaking empty runway ! And its not like i'm flyin by like Lance Arms - all doped-up - no, just a sober pedal and saving my skin from the mean street traffic. I just tell em go get Cancer, good naturedly like, and avoid engagin with their angst.

And i'm already part-bicycle acc to Myles na Gopaleen (the 3rd policeman) - due to the theory of atomism, the more you ride a bicycle the more atoms from the bicycle are transferred into the rider's body and vice versa, so that eventually the bicycle is riding the man

yeehaw !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Armchair General drives "her" good car which runs on diesel paid for by me - I have a wee white van for work commute (80k roundtrip), transporting two wondermutts for walking, completion of assigned and delegated household chores and transportation of bikes to events - all taxes and insurance again supplied by me including mutt licences.

I have cycled to and from work several times - depending on
    [a] season
    weather clemency and forecast
    [c] shift pattern
    [d] reception/atmospheric conditions within the domestic surroundings -ie. picture but no sound

I would love to commute to and from work on my bike but it's just not feasible all year round - many things to consider - have often pondered on many things - change of job/lifestyle, wife swapping parties (would love a ride on lawnmower), grow vegetables etc. - but all things considered, the shift work gives me good time to ride my bike - albeit in crap weather, whilst thinking about decorating/gardening/whatever it is I'm suppossed to remember to be doing/avoiding potholes/motor vehicles/buses/farmyard animals and other peoples dogs ...

(note to self) need to get out more on my bike :(

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ugsparky

Alfred123 wrote: »
    i cycle everywhere. Even when theres nowhere to go. If i'd had a Licence, i'd have sent a few folk to the next world.

I find though - cycling on pavements in a midland town can excite the contrary people off their perch - 'you can't cycle on the pavement !!' i get usually from an ould one. Or a very frustrated-with-life younger one. And they'd deliberatley go out of their way to stand in your path. And the pavement is already like a freaking empty runway ! And its not like i'm flyin by like Lance Arms - all doped-up - no, just a sober pedal and saving my skin from the mean street traffic. I just tell em go get Cancer, good naturedly like, and avoid engagin with their angst.

And i'm already part-bicycle acc to Myles na Gopaleen (the 3rd policeman) - due to the theory of atomism, the more you ride a bicycle the more atoms from the bicycle are transferred into the rider's body and vice versa, so that eventually the bicycle is riding the man

yeehaw !!!

So wrong but yet - heroic - in a Charlie Haughey Le Coq Hardi kind of way

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

John37 wrote: »
    ...paying road tax and insurance at the same time. Its bikes all the way for me:D

Ha! You said 'road tax' :-)

Two cars for me I'm afraid, thanks to decades of government mismanagement leaving poor auld rural dwellers with 1.5hr walks to nearest bus stops little choice.
    If we lived in a city there's no way I'd drive though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Three bikes and one car. Me and the missus both commuting by bikes, weekly shopping is done on foot (Lidl, Aldi and Tesco very close, so that helps). Car can sit in the driveway for weeks (good battery essential), last time I fueled it up was in July. It gets used only for the odd shopping mall run and if the family decides to go somewhere for the weekend. Also acts as a DIY supply cart for runs to Goodwins, Chadwicks etc. Also gets used for getting to MTB trails that aren't in 3 rock and the odd cycle event.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Had 2 cars, now just my wife has one and we both drive it. I cycle commute to.work, much prefer it in every way. I haven't missed my car once since I sold it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I like cars, so yes I do. But cycling is my number one mode of transport:D

I like cars too, not a "petrol head" but love driving especially long drives in scenic areas.
    Not a patch on cycling though,it;s not just enjoyabe to makes you feel alive :cool:

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,410 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

RobFowl wrote: »
    I like cars too, not a "petrol head" but love driving especially long drives in scenic areas.
    Yeah, but at least you get a few KOMs in the car;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Beasty wrote: »
    Yeah, but at least you get a few KOMs in the car;)

yep i always keep the garmin in the car just for that occasion ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

I used to cycle a lot but don't anymore - the rural minor roads are not very cycle friendly - many are too narrow and cars just speed anyway. Equally significant problems for me as a cyclist were aggressive dogs (they shouldn't even be near the road let alone on it) and potholes/soiling caused by builders/farmers). To me, all of the above geared the whole thing against cyclists and was very unfair. Funny enough, a traffic calming scheme on the then main Belfast road was one of my biggest off-puts towards cycling regarding any stretch of road. It was so cycle unfriendly as the road was simply to narrow amid trucks and heavy traffic - fine for motorists though! Then there is the wind...

...still have my bike though!

I drive, walk and commute by train nowadays.

Advertisement