Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Season 10 - Episode 2

• 11-10-2012 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Well after last weeks surprising return to form, judging by the votes it was anyway, fingers crossed episode 2 will follow on or indeed improve the form.

#2: Fathers and Suns

"Every year Lister sends himself a Father's Day card to celebrate the fact that he is his own father, but when Rimmer points out he's been a lousy father to himself Lister decides to do something about it. Meanwhile, Rimmer and Kryten install a new computer; the beautiful, but lethally logical, Pree."

Source

I have to admit, it certainly sounds funny. Here's hoping!

Out of ten, ten being the best, what did you think? 25 votes

0%
    4%
    EDDIE WATERS 1 vote
    8%
    Diddy KongSparks43 2 votes
    32%
    MickeroonovarockLMugMugsMoist Breadsteve_rBurdockCaspy 8 votes
    20%
    NiskacherryghostkylithexpectationlostG.K. 5 votes
    20%
    Sir Digby Chicken CaesarArmaniJeanssjaykay74brianyCookiemunster 5 votes
    8%
    alastair_doomMyrddin 2 votes
    8%
    YeatsCountykomodosp 2 votes
    0%
    0%

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Saw a fairly spoilery trailer for it on Dave yesterday, looks pretty funny anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i cant be bothered turning on the skybox to check what time it airs

so what time does it air

--edit

nevermind, entertainment.ie lists dave
    9pm
    \o/

--edit

wasn't great... especially after the highest hope after last week, still good though. better than anything season 8 offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I enjoyed it. Gave it an 8. Funny lines.... Story a bit weak but made me chuckle a bit. Great to have them back. Really miss Holly though!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,134 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

yeah, I miss Holly's little intro-spiel at the start of each episode.

Enjoy this one, thought it was even a bit funnier than last week. THought the scene where they Rimmer & Kryten turned on the computer was particularly funny (choosing her vital statistics and the explanation of her predictive ability), also got a good chuckle out of Lister watching the message's from his "dad".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I thought the sub-plot worked better this week than the 'on hold' one did last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

I thought it was an improvement over last weeks.

I generally prefer the Rimmer episodes but really enjoyed this one.

Would have liked an explanation for
    Dave's way of getting back into the ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Hmm, maybe I need to watch it again. I didn't think it was as good as last weeks, it seemed to rely on older established ideas like Pree was a mix of Queeg & Cassandra. There were some funny bits, but on the whole, I think the story was weak enough. The whole thing seemed to have a strong whiff of Season 7/8 off it.

Lister to himself on camera was prob the funniest bit.

Good episode, by no means among the best, but I've seen worse too. I'll have to be honest & rate it as a 5.

steve_r wrote: »
    I thought it was an improvement over last weeks.

I generally prefer the Rimmer episodes but really enjoyed this one.

Would have liked an explanation for
    Dave's way of getting back into the ship.

I was expecting him to end up in some sort of 2001: A Space Odyssey "What are you doing Dave?" type situation rather than just
    end up back on the ship. Not that it's a bad that thing they didn't do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Anyone else think it was pretty similar to the Cassandra episode from season 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Gave it a 9

Top class episode and i was in stitches for most of it

Roll on ep3:D

• Advertisement

I seem to be the exception this week, the trend of votes is average & above. I think I need to watch it again, because for the whole episode I felt like I was waiting on something to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

EnterNow wrote: »
    I seem to be the exception this week, the trend of votes is average & above. I think I need to watch it again, because for the whole episode I felt like I was waiting on something to happen.

I think some people are expecting a similar standard to some of the very best episodes, whilst others (including me :)) just want new RD episodes. Hence the disparity in ratings!

steve_r wrote: »
    I think some people are expecting a similar standard to some of the very best episodes, whilst others (including me :)) just want new RD episodes. Hence the disparity in ratings!

Well I like you would be happy to see any type of new RD, but in terms of rating the show, I thought last nights was slightly below average. I think last weeks however was above average, even compared to anything that came before it.

I do think last nights though I'll need to rewatch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've given it a 7, based on what I saw; my bloody mother called me in the middle of it. Really enjoyed it though, and so did OH - he reckons that it's better than "the old ones".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,535 ✭✭✭✭briany

I laughed during it, thought it was enjoyable. I'd say it was roughly on par with last week. Quite OTT at times and in danger of veering into season 8 territory but I think it just about hung on with no help, however, from Taiwan Tony.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,663 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

EnterNow wrote: »
    Well I like you would be happy to see any type of new RD, but in terms of rating the show, I thought last nights was slightly below average. I think last weeks however was above average, even compared to anything that came before it.

I do think last nights though I'll need to rewatch

You're not alone - I thought it wasn't as good as last weeks too.

Can't put my finger on exactly what but my attention just wasn't there like it was last week. Maybe it's because Queeg did the whole idea that much better.

It wasn't that it was bad, just nothing special. Like you I was waiting for something more I think

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thought it was decent - nothing hilarious, nothing too dull.

Got a good laugh out of the guitar gag though - like the Moose joke last week, the writers / directors seem to have a good sense of how to work a fun long-form joke into the middle of the episode. The plot felt a bit half-arsed, but again a few chuckles throughout.

The whole Chinese Whispers gag went on far too long though, definitely filler material. Not helped by the cringey portrayal of the Taiwanese vending machine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wasn't even aware a new series of Red Dwarf had been made; only realised when I saw it mentioned on FB. I caught the first two episodes and the second seemed the funnier of the two - certainly both were leaps and bounds better than the execrable 7 & 8 (never saw the Coronation St series on Dave), although it's so so long since I saw any of the 'classic' series I do wonder if the show's as funny as I remember it. A lot of the jokes seemed a bit flat and telegraphed, and the canned laughter only helped dampen my interest in the humour - maybe nostalgia just isn't what it used to be...

I'm also completely baffled by the setup: did series 9 wrap up the climax of #8? How is Red Dwaff still in one piece? How is Rimmer a hologram again? What happened the crew who abandoned the then-burning ship? Where's Kachanski(sp)?

pixelburp wrote: »

I'm also completely baffled by the setup: did series 9 wrap up the climax of #8? How is Red Dwaff still in one piece? How is Rimmer a hologram again? What happened the crew who abandoned the then-burning ship? Where's Kachanski(sp)?

Apparently, and this is relatively new news to me too, all those questions are answered in series 9.....which doesn't exist, but by effectively skipping it it allows them to go back to basics with the premise without having to explain anything.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Apparently, and this is relatively new news to me too, all those questions are answered in series 9

Yep thats how they spun it anyway. I think Kryten mentions in BTE about some of the things that happened in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

I don't know - I thought it was a bit unfunny - The humour levels just don't seem to have returned... That Chinese Whispers thing? None of it made me really laugh out loud.
    Like last week, the characters are all a bit over the top, the sets are really cluttered - mightn't seem like much but you it really takes away from the Red Dwarf feeling... - he seems to be trying to squeeze too much plot into it.

The jokes just aren't fresh and hilarious. Rimmer was always what made the programme great - and he seems to have lost it. And why the f*ck am I seeing Brad Pitt on an ad!? For a woman's perfume, for God's sake! Has he lost all hope of ever being in an actually decent movie!? - Sorry got distracted there...

The Lister being his own Dad thing was a bit annoying again. Not a great fan of this bringing up old episodes thing (unless it's a subtly developed story arc)

I don't think I laughed out loud once - maybe a few forced chuckles, but at the risk of a torrent of abuse, I am thinking maybe Doug Naylor needs a few assistant writers - just to inject a bit of hilarium into it - one or two young fellas with new senses of humour - as much respect as I have for Naylor, to be funny, jokes have to be new and unexpected. And we are not going to laugh at a joke that would be more original in the 90s / early 00s.
    kylith wrote: »
    I've given it a 7, based on what I saw; my bloody mother called me in the middle of it. Really enjoyed it though, and so did OH - he reckons that it's better than "the old ones".

In fairness, it's repeated, so medical attention for your mother might have been more pressing at the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

much better then last week

Advertisement