Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything good about religion at all?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

It does not answer it because as I said you have to look at the whole picture not just cherry picked parts of it. Removing an infection by cutting off the whole arm does mean you have removed the infection but looking at the whole picture the price paid was not worth it. Especially if other ways of dealing with the infection could be found.

Similarly cherry picking good things done by religious people does not mean:

The question does not ask me to analysis the good and the bad add it all up and give a decision whether it is worth it or not. That's just what your doing!! :rolleyes:

I was asked anything good about religion? So I gave my opinion about something I think was and is good about religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

ah I see you ignored the link. Knew you would.

Again if you can not show religion actually has anything to do with it, then you are just making things up and running with assumptions. Saying they are doing it for religion does not mean they are. Especially when many people do it without religion. And again, read Agnes' memoirs. She was not as religious as you need her to be anyway.

ah I see you ignored the link. Knew you would.

Again if you can not show religion actually has anything to do with it, then you are just making things up and running with assumptions. Saying they are doing it for religion does not mean they are. Especially when many people do it without religion. And again, read Agnes' memoirs. She was not as religious as you need her to be anyway.

Ha Ha you ignored my question about showing me the money trail and your evidence for all you claim??

Again if you can not show religion actually has nothing to do with it, then you are just making things up and running with assumptions. When Mother Teresa says she got her strength from god and that she was doing gods work you then say no she didn't mean that!!!!! Especially when so many priests and nuns do it because of religion. And again, watch Teresa's interviews. She was very religious.

No I didnt. I answered your question with a link. And there are more. But since you cant even be bothered reading the evidence when I give it, why give more?

No I didnt. I answered your question with a link. And there are more. But since you cant even be bothered reading the evidence when I give it, why give more?

Couldn't find any money trail on it? I question the reliability of the information sorry but no fail to you for trying..

Again if you can not show religion actually has nothing to do with it, then you are just making things up and running with assumptions. When Mother Teresa says she got her strength from god and that she was doing gods work you then say no she didn't mean that!!!!! Especially when so many priests and nuns do it because of religion. And again, watch Teresa's interviews. She was very religious.

• Advertisement

Again if you are just ignoring all my links, and repeatedly many times ignoring the 5 questions I have asked over and over. I am not sure what you are doing here aside from trolling. You can not even write your own posts, you just copy and paste mine back at me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

otto_26 wrote: »
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Otto, great to have you join us here in A+A this evening! I hope and trust that Germany's memorably unmemorable trouncing of the Irish Under-13 Schoolgirls' Soccer Team this evening hasn't lead you to interface excessively with more Blue Nuns that is good for you!

Anyhow, let me be the first forum moderator here to guarantee you that your posts will be given every particle of the attention they demand. Unfortunately, if you continue posting as you've done this evening, that attention is likely to consist of one of the forum's soccer-ref-color-code-compliant cards, followed by a swift sending off for continued offences against style, content and indeed, the forum charter. And no amount of the forum's equivalent of rolling around on the ground clutching your knee and whinging will convince me otherwise!

Grüß Gott!

Again if you are just ignoring all my links, and repeatedly many times ignoring the 5 questions I have asked over and over. I am not sure what you are doing here aside from trolling. You can not even write your own posts, you just copy and paste mine back at me.

I answered the question asked within this Thread your problem is it's not your beliefs and your trying to push what you believe onto me.

Ive given you evidence about interviews Teresa had done and about different countries all over the world that have thanked her for her wonderful work within their countries.

You have proved nothing to me just a couple of youtube videos with little or no reliability on where they got their information.

The reason I copy and paste back to you is because you can never prove 100% to me anything nor me to you we can spend all day linking the good and bad to each other. So I just ask you your questions back because I know you will have to ignore them because you can't answer them like: I asked you for the trail of money she spent???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I answered the question asked within this Thread your problem is it's not your beliefs and your trying to push what you believe onto me.

Ive given you evidence about interviews Teresa had done and about different countries all over the world that have thanked her for her wonderful work within their countries.

You have proved nothing to me just a couple of youtube videos with little or no reliability on where they got their information.

The reason I copy and paste back to you is because you can never prove 100% to me anything nor me to you we can spend all day linking the good and bad to each other. So I just ask you your questions back because I know you will have to ignore them because you can't answer them like: I asked you for the trail of money she spent???

That is nosferatu's point - how can he give a money trail of the money she spent when she never spent any ?

We know that money that went in , can you give us an idea of the money that went out ?

marienbad wrote: »
    That is nosferatu's point - how can he give a money trail of the money she spent when she never spent any ?

We know that money that went in , can you give us an idea of the money that went out ?

That was my point he wanted me to give him a money trail!! Like you said how can I give him a money trail!

• Advertisement

I answered the question asked within this Thread

False. You ignored the 5 questions I asked. You ignored the links I gave. And despite me saying over and over we have to look at the big picture of the good and the bad together, you keep saying I only look at the bad.

So it is just ignoring, ignoring, lying and more ignoring from you. You can not even write your own posts, copy and pasting my own back at me instead.
    Ive given you evidence about interviews

While entirely ignoring the links and comments for users AND her very own memoirs, all of which call into question the honest of those interviews. Again more ignoring and lies from you.
    You have proved nothing to me just a couple of youtube videos

Here is 100% proof you have not read a thing I wrote and have ignored it all. Thanks for the proof.

I have not once in this entire thread linked to or even mentioned you tube. Not once. Anywhere. So like I keep saying you have ignored everything written to you... and just make up lies. And as I said here is the proof. You simply have no idea what has been in my links because you have not once opened them. You just skipped over them and made up whatever you wanted about them.

So until you retract the lies and show you have read anything I have actually written by answering it for once, such as the 5 questions I asked many times but you ignored everything time, I am done with the troll.

I answered the question asked by the OP in this Thread come on try to keep up!!!
    So it is just ignoring, ignoring, lying and more ignoring from you. You can not even write your own posts, copy and pasting my own back at me instead.

You are just ignoring everything I say to you I asked you to show me the money trail? show me the monies debit and credit from the charities accounts? I told you already there is no credibility to the information in your links you gave me :rolleyes:
    Her very own memoirs, all of which call into question the honest of those interviews. Again more ignoring and lies from you.

HA HA Call into question!!!! doesn't mean your conclusion is the correct answer I believe she was very religious and did great work in different countries all over the world. BY THE WAY YOU HAVE MADE NO RESPONSE TO THE LIST OF COUNTRIES I NAMED THAT HONOURED HER WORK!!!

So it is just ignoring, ignoring, lying and more ignoring from you!!

And I explained already I copy and paste your questions back to you changing the words bad to good to show you how you can not answer those biased questions!!! Like asking me for the money trail :rolleyes: which you keep ignoring also. I think your a little annoyed that you can never give me 100% proof of anything to do with her charity like me to you and from looking at the bad and the good I have come to the conclusion that she was a great person. Which goes against your beliefs.

So until you retract the lies and show you have read anything I have actually written I am done with the troll.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

HA HA Call into question!!!! doesn't mean your conclusion is the correct answer I believe she was very religious and did great work in different countries all over the world. BY THE WAY YOU HAVE MADE NO RESPONSE TO THE LIST OF COUNTRIES I NAMED THAT HONOURED HER WORK!!!

Please stop shouting.

Just because you believe MT was very religious doesn't mean you are correct.
    You are the one claiming she did great things - prove it. Meaningless awards are not proof - exactly how many lives did she save? Exactly how many hospitals did she build? What exactly were the mortality rates in 'her' hospitals?

She did get someone to help my friend find her shoes once- but may have been because friend was very drunk at the time and asking awkward questions...and freaking out about her misplaced shoes.. so MT probably wanted rid of her. Shoes were never found by the way.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Please stop shouting.

I reckon the shouting is just to try and troll me back into a reaction when I said I was "out" of the conversation with him. It wont work. I am done with him until such time as he actually engages with the topic and my arguments.

Clearly I have been trolled and am happy to withdraw until such time as he proves he has read a single thing I have written. Saying I linked to you tube when I never did proves the troll has no interest in reading anything I write. He just sees my links, ignores them, and makes up lies about what they link to.

The topic of the thread is whether there is anything good about religion however and I think we can save that and re-rail it from the derailed mess the troll tried to throw it into. Clearly where we were going with it here was altruistic and humanitarian acts performed in the name of religion however. We can run with that with a number of important points.

1) Good and Bad together. Cherry picking a few people acting well while citing religion is to paint a rosey picture. A more accurate picture would be to observe everyone who either works directly for a church or is publicly performing actions in the name of religion. Unfortunately for the pro religion side this adds in everything from child fiddling and pederasty facilitating priests... to hamas and louis farrakan... to muslim and christian bombers... to sects like the 10 commandments of god.... to parents who watch their own children die of perfectly treatable conditions like diabetes because religion tells them god is offended by the treatments involved. To much more. Those wanting to defend religion as good therefore have a lot of work to do to show any "good" done in its name is enough to match or justify the wrong.

2) Religion superfluous to requirements. Pointing to individual people who have done good in the name of religion does not actually mean religion has anything to do with it. This is shown by the simple fact that no good has ever been done by anyone in the name of religion that has not also been done, or is being done, without it. Agnes was mentioned and although she was a horrific person with horrific treatment of her "patients" we find that any good she did while citing religion is done by many others. I also mentioned Saraswathi Gora for example who did wonderful things and religion was nothing to do with any of it.

3) Motivations of those doing this "good". When missionaries go into places to "do good" one really has to question their motivations. Are they there to do good or to preach and spread their particular faith and using the do gooding to achieve it? Religion is notorious for targetting the poor, weak, vulnerable and needy in order to spread itself.

4) Are the do gooders really religious? While many such people cite religion to the camera and media, one wonders how many of them are actually religious. It is clear from her memoirs that Agnes for example was not being entirely honest with the media about the strength of her faith. And her actions of not spending her vast wealth on pain killers for her "patients" while she herself got top notch dollar treatment in california questions this too. The Clergy Project too finds that there are many people who are in Clergy roles and other such roles who have no faith at all but were attracted to the roles because they firmly believed it was the best place to go to do the good they wanted to do in the world.

Summary: It seems to me that the person trying to establish religion has beneficial effects on humanitarian and altruism issues has a lot of work to do to establish the people really are religious, religion has anything to do with the "good" at all, that the motivations of many are not more geared towards spreading their religion rather than spreading aid, and that the price we pay... which is a high one... for religion is enough to justify any of the benefits imagined or real. Cherry picking single people who claim to be religious and doing good because of religion does not answer any of these concerns at all. Especially when the person cherry picked was actually a horrific fraud and evil person.

Please stop shouting.

You're taking the capital letter thing way to seriously!!
    Just because you believe MT was very religious doesn't mean you are correct.
    You are the one claiming she did great things - prove it. Meaningless awards are not proof - exactly how many lives did she save? Exactly how many hospitals did she build? What exactly were the mortality rates in 'her' hospitals?

Exactly doesn't mean I am correct but after weighting up the bad and the good that is the conclusion I came to.

Meaningless awards! I'm afraid theses awards are proof of her great work. I think your the one who would need to prove the awards were meaningless she received awards all over the world for her work. Bannasidhe maybe all those countries and thousands she helped got it wrong :rolleyes:...

I reckon the comments on trolling is just to try to get a reaction when I said I was "out" of the conversation with him. It wont work. I am done with him until such time as he actually engages with the topic and my arguments. I'm happy to withdraw until such time as he proves he has read a single thing I have written. He just sees my comments on why he ignores the money trail question or the countries I named that awarded MT.

The Question asked of the thread is whether there is anything good about religion? however and I think we can save that and re-rail it from the derailed mess nozzferrahhtoo tried to throw it into. Clearly nozzferrahhtoo thinks that Mother Teresa is not a relative answer because it isn't what he beliefs. We can run with that with a number of important points.

1) Good and Bad together. Cherry picking a few people acting bad while citing religion is to paint a black picture. A more accurate picture would be to observe everyone who either works directly for a church or is publicly performing actions in the name of religion. Unfortunately for the anti religion side this adds in everything from Priest and nuns working with poor people in the third world for hundreds of years, for the hope and joy religion brings into people lives all over the world, to people like Mother Teresa who has been awarded for her charity work all over the world and been recorded in TV interviews stating she is doing the work of god and gains her strength from him. Those wanting to down religion as completely "bad" therefore have a lot of work to do to show any "bad" done in its name is enough to match or justify the great deeds of great people like Mother Teresa and all the priest and nuns over the past hundred years .

2) Religion superfluous to requirements. Pointing to individual people who have done good in the name of religion shows that religion has everything to do with it for those people (not for all but for some). For people like Mother Teresa who has stated in TV interviews that she got her strength from god. Also it is shown that no good has ever been done by anyone in the name of religion that has not also been done, or is being done, without it. But this does not show that Religion is superfluous to requirements it shows that some people do good work without religion and some people do work with religion.

3) Motivations of those claiming religion is only bad. When non religious people go onto places like broads to discuss the good and the bad ( they claim in an non biased way) in an non biased way one really has to question their motivations. Are they there to discuss in an open non biased way or to preach and spread their particular beliefs.

4) Are the "Charity workers";) really religious? While many such people cite religion to the camera and media, one wonders how many of them are actually religious. It is clear from her interviews that Mother Teresa for example was religious as she tells interviewers about doing gods work and getting her strength from him. But anti Religious people like to put a spin on the facts of those TV interviews question her as not being entirely honest with the media about the strength of her faith. They question this and come to their own conclusion which is fine everyone is entitled to their own opinion. In my opinion I like to stick with the proven facts of the interviews after weighing up both sides.

Summary: It seems to me that the person trying to establish religion has no beneficial effects on humanitarian and altruism issues has a lot of work to do to establish the people really are not religious, religion has nothing to do with the "good" at all, that the motivations of charity workers is not to help the poor people they help. Cherry picking the evil people within religion does not answer any of these concerns at all. Especially when the person I chose for my answer to the question in the thread was actually a wonderful human being that helped thousands of poor people all over the world during her life and was awarded all over the world by different countries for the wonderful work she did within those countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Otto, could you explain to us, preferably in your own words, what good Mother Teresa did?

Also, do you think she did any bad? And if so did she do bad because of her religion?

Otto, could you explain to us, preferably in your own words, what good Mother Teresa did?

Also, do you think she did any bad? And if so did she do bad because of her religion?

In 1982, at the height of the Siege of Beirut, Mother Teresa rescued 37 children trapped in a front line hospital by brokering a temporary cease-fire between the Israeli army and Palestinian guerrillas. Accompanied by Red Cross workers, she travelled through the war zone to the devastated hospital to evacuate the young patients.

Mother Teresa travelled to assist and minister to the hungry in Ethiopia, radiation victims at Chernobyl, and earthquake victims in Armenia. In 1991, Mother Teresa returned for the first time to her homeland and opened a Missionaries of Charity Brothers home in Tirana, Albania.

By 1996, she was operating 517 missions in more than 100 countries. Over the years, Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity grew from twelve to thousands serving the "poorest of the poor" in 450 centres around the world. The first Missionaries of Charity home in the United States was established in the South Bronx, New York; by 1984 the order operated 19 establishments throughout the country.

I my opinion I don't believe she did anything evil. She did her best to help the less fortunate. But I have read claims that her charities didn't use the money to the best they could have and that patents were treated badly in her care. I have looked at both sides and come to the conclusion that she was in my opinion a wonderful women that helped the poor. other people have their own opinions after weighing up all the facts.

Also, do you think she did any good? And if so did she do good because of her religion?

In 1982, at the height of the Siege of Beirut, Mother Teresa rescued 37 children trapped in a front line hospital by brokering a temporary cease-fire between the Israeli army and Palestinian guerrillas. Accompanied by Red Cross workers, she travelled through the war zone to the devastated hospital to evacuate the young patients.

Mother Teresa travelled to assist and minister to the hungry in Ethiopia, radiation victims at Chernobyl, and earthquake victims in Armenia. In 1991, Mother Teresa returned for the first time to her homeland and opened a Missionaries of Charity Brothers home in Tirana, Albania.

By 1996, she was operating 517 missions in more than 100 countries. Over the years, Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity grew from twelve to thousands serving the "poorest of the poor" in 450 centres around the world. The first Missionaries of Charity home in the United States was established in the South Bronx, New York; by 1984 the order operated 19 establishments throughout the country.

I my opinion I don't believe she did anything evil. She did her best to help the less fortunate. But I have read claims that her charities didn't use the money to the best they could have and that patents were treated badly in her care. I have looked at both sides and come to the conclusion that she was in my opinion a wonderful women that helped the poor. other people have their own opinions after weighing up all the facts.

Also, do you think she did any good? And if so did she do good because of her religion?
    There's a reason I asked you to explain what good she did in your own words. It's so I could believe that you actually know what you're talking about. Copying and pasting from wikipedia leads me to believe you're just going with the "well everyone else says she's good, so I'll just go ahead and think it too" line of thought.

For the record, I don't think she was bad or evil, and I do believe she did some good. However, I don't think she was as good as some make out. She accepted millions in donations, and instead of improving conditions in her homes for the dying and offering a good standard of medical care, she decided the money would be better spent opening new missions, equally lacking where it matters. Her Home for the Dying was quite literally that, somewhere for you to lay down and die. How many people could have been saved had she used all those millions more effectively? Not to mention her views on suffering, which were dangerous to say the least.

Then we can move on to the donation she accepted from Charles Keating, over $1,000,000 stolen from thousands of people. Of course she didn't know it at the time, but she made no effort to return the money after the fact, which would have been the moral thing to do. She went so far as to defend Keating by sending a letter to his trial Judge requesting that he not receive jail time. This is abhorrent in my view.

So no, I don't think she was a wonderful woman, not even close.

There's a reason I asked you to explain what good she did in your own words. It's so I could believe that you actually know what you're talking about. Copying and pasting from wikipedia leads me to believe you're just going with the "well everyone else says she's good, so I'll just go ahead and think it too" line of thought.

I'm lost... your saying researching information and then copying and pasting into boards means I don't understand what it says? :rolleyes: the information I gave you is from credible sources?? what difference does it make if I put it into my own words I'm not writing a dissertation here:rolleyes:

you asked me what good did she do so I provided you with good things she did.

You don't believe she was a good person, I do believe she was a good person.. we both have different opinions.

[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

I'm lost... your saying researching information and then copying and pasting into boards means I don't understand what it says? :rolleyes: the information I gave you is from credible sources?? what difference does it make if I put it into my own words I'm not writing a dissertation here:rolleyes:

you asked me what good did she do so I provided you with good things she did.

You don't believe she was a good person, I do believe she was a good person.. we both have different opinions.

I'm sure you understand what it says perfectly, but the fact you needed to go and "research" it and paste it in leads me to believe you didn't know about any of it before coming on here and telling us all how great she is. You telling us she's great first, and then finding out why later just doesn't add a whole lot of credibility to your arguments tbh.

That's fine, you think she was a good person. You can overlook the shítty things she did, I can't. Lots of bad, evil people did good things in their lives, but that doesn't change the fact that they're bad or evil. I'm not saying Mother Teresa is evil, just that you need to look at the bigger picture, just because she did some good, that doesn't make up for the bad. You can overlook the fact that she took 1.25 million dollars of stolen money, people's livelihoods, and didn't return it. I can't, I personally don't think a good person would do that.

I'm sure you understand what it says perfectly, but the fact you needed to go and "research" it and paste it in leads me to believe you didn't know about any of it before coming on here and telling us all how great she is. You telling us she's great first, and then finding out why later just doesn't add a whole lot of credibility to your arguments tbh.

:rolleyes: You asked me to show you what good she did. I'm lazy :D what can I say!!

You telling me to know how good Mother Teresa was I have to know the exact dates of when and what she did!! :rolleyes: leads me to believe you don't know what's going on at all!

That's fine, you think she was a bad person. You can overlook the great things she did, I can't. Lots of great things were done by Mother Teresa Just that you need to look at the bigger picture, just because people claim she did terrible things.

You can overlook the fact that she rescued 37 children trapped in a front line hospital or the fact she was operating 517 missions in more than 100 countries . I can't, I personally think a good person would do that.

Like I said after looking at the big picture and looking at the bad and good my opinion is that she was a great women. What's the problem?? the fact someone's conclusion from looking at big picture is different than yours you need to pursue it and push your beliefs on to me! No thanks you can keep your opinion I'm more than happy with my conclusion thanks anyways!! ;)

:rolleyes: You asked me to show you what good she did. I'm lazy :D what can I say!!

You telling me to know how good Mother Teresa was I have to know the exact dates of when and what she did!! :rolleyes: leads me to believe you don't know what's going on at all!

That's fine, you think she was a bad person. You can overlook the great things she did, I can't. Lots of great things were done by Mother Teresa Just that you need to look at the bigger picture, just because people claim she did terrible things.

You can overlook the fact that she rescued 37 children trapped in a front line hospital or the fact she was operating 517 missions in more than 100 countries . I can't, I personally think a good person would do that.

Like I said after looking at the big picture and looking at the bad and good my opinion is that she was a great women. What's the problem?? the fact someone's conclusion from looking at big picture is different than yours you need to pursue it and push your beliefs on to me! No thanks you can keep your opinion I'm more than happy with my conclusion thanks anyways!! ;)

Look, copying and pasting your opinions from wikipedia and copying other people's posts is ridiculous. Are you not capable of formulating an argument on your own? It's very childish.

What would Mother Teresa have to do for you to consider her to be less than wonderful? Apparently allowing people to suffer and thinking that's in their best interests doesn't do it, taking stolen money from thousands of people and not returning it doesn't do it, taking money from the Duvalier dictatorship which was responsible for murder and torture doesn't do it. Is there anything she could do that would make her a less than wonderful person?

Look, copying and pasting your opinions from wikipedia and copying other people's posts is ridiculous. Are you not capable of formulating an argument on your own? It's very childish.

Firstly I don't just copy and paste people's post's to suggest that is childish have I not given you relative arguments within my last post?? I didn't just copy and paste your post did I?? no I have added relative material within the post to support my beliefs.. read them properly please. :rolleyes:
    What would Mother Teresa have to do for you to consider her to be less than wonderful? Apparently allowing people to suffer and thinking that's in their best interests doesn't do it, taking stolen money from thousands of people and not returning it doesn't do it, taking money from the Duvalier dictatorship which was responsible for murder and torture doesn't do it. Is there anything she could do that would make her a less than wonderful person?

You post a paragraph like the one above, within the paragraph you give me ridiculous statements to reply to and just give me questions about, how I can belief what I belief pure rubbish... so what I do when people post rubbish is just ask you the same questions back with my side in it.. I have yet to have a poster answer my replies like that for example below I posted a rubbish paragraph!! :rolleyes: Please answer!

What would Mother Teresa have to do for you to consider her to be wonderful? Apparently helping starving people all over the world doesn't do it, getting awards by numerous countries all over the world for the great work she has done within those countries doesn't do it , Having thousands of missions in hundreds of countries around the world doesn't do it. Is there anything she could do that would make her a wonderful person?

Do you not understand English we have both looked at the big picture taking on board everything and have come to two very different opinions, opinions we are both entitled to have. You seem to be one of these people who can't take it when someone has a different opinion to you... stop trying to push your beliefs onto me I'm happy with my own thanks very much anyways.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

lazygal wrote: »
    It's sometimes said discrimination or hatred is cultural not religious...

While that's technically true, religion and culture are so deeply connected that it's often irrelevant.

The main difference, though, is that religion is more respected and legally protected in most economically developed countries, and is part of the UN Declaration of Human Rights.

I was in a beer garden one afternoon this summer and there was a group of Spanish teenagers trying to get served. They didn't try the whole "Fake ID" thing, they just said that in their country/culture you can drink at 16. Not sure if that's true, but even assuming it is, the barman's response; "But you're not in your country," couldn't be faulted.

If he was stopping them from a religious practice, though, I'd imagine there'd have been a bit more of a fuss made and they probably would've got more public support.

I wish I had a real-world example for the latter situation, if anyone else has I'd like to hear of it. I know there was a guy a few years ago in Dublin who was charged for slaughtering poultry in his back garden. His defence was that it's the only way he could get Halal meat, but I'm not sure what the result was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Richie15 wrote: »
    His defence was that it's the only way he could get Halal meat, but I'm not sure what the result was.

I remember that, can't say I followed it but it opens the doors for slaughtering animals and hunting. The meat IS different and more beneficial for mankind than the western humane putting to sleep and calm killing.

Firstly I don't just copy and paste people's post's to suggest that is childish have I not given you relative arguments within my last post?? I didn't just copy and paste your post did I?? no I have added relative material within the post to support my beliefs.. read them properly please. :rolleyes:

Yes you have just copied and pasted people's post, changing certain words in the post doesn't change that. Like a child, you just repeat back to people what they've said.
    You post a paragraph like the one above, within the paragraph you give me ridiculous statements to reply to and just give me questions about, how I can belief what I belief pure rubbish... so what I do when people post rubbish is just ask you the same questions back with my side in it.. I have yet to have a poster answer my replies like that for example below I posted a rubbish paragraph!! :rolleyes: Please answer!

What would Mother Teresa have to do for you to consider her to be wonderful? Apparently helping starving people all over the world doesn't do it, getting awards by numerous countries all over the world for the great work she has done within those countries doesn't do it , Having thousands of missions in hundreds of countries around the world doesn't do it. Is there anything she could do that would make her a wonderful person?

And once again the childishness continues, but I'll indulge you, as this happens to be a very easy question. For me to consider Mother Teresa a wonderful person, she'd have to do all the above, while NOT taking stolen money or otherwise returning it when she was made are that the money did not belong to her. She would NOT have taken money from a dictatorship and then praised the dictatorship. She WOULD have spent the MILLIONS she received actually trying to save lives.
    Do you not understand English we have both looked at the big picture taking on board everything and have come to two very different opinions, opinions we are both entitled to have. You seem to be one of these people who can't take it when someone has a different opinion to you... stop trying to push your beliefs onto me I'm happy with my own thanks very much anyways.;)

How am I trying to push my beliefs on you? Am I forcing you to read this thread or my posts? Am I forcing you to reply to me? Don't be so melodramatic.

Yes you have just copied and pasted people's post, changing certain words in the post doesn't change that. Like a child, you just repeat back to people what they've said.

I really believe you can not read English or that you have a small concentration time:rolleyes:

Firstly copy and paste is when someone copies and pastes other peoples work and try's to use that whole work as their own.

Secondly I have removed what you wrote and written in my own statements to aid my argument so that is not copy and paste!

Finally try to keep up!! I have already explained I copy and paste parts of posters questions to show them how biased their paragraphs and questions are many claim to be discussing this thread in an non biased way!! (still waiting for any poster to answer the questions I changed when I copied and pasted... ooo I forgot their not able to answer the questions) but in fairness to you instead of just complaining have made an attempt to answer the questions I asked. So please let me answer them to for you..

For me to consider Mother Teresa as not a great person, she'd have to not have rescued 37 children trapped in a front line hospital or she would not have operated 517 missions in more than 100 countries all over the world or she would not have spent her life helping the poor as best she could or she would not have received awards off numerous countries all over the world thanking her for the differences to people quality of life she had made within those countries.

And once again the childishness continues
    I'm confused are you not answering relative questions I asked??? If so how are my relative questions in my own words childish?

How am I trying to push my beliefs on you? Am I forcing you to read this thread or my posts? Am I forcing you to reply to me? Don't be so melodramatic.

Oh ok well in summing up all the bad and the good my opinions concludes that Mother Teresa to have been a wonderful women that helped poor dying people all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,349 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

gbee wrote: »
    The meat IS different and more beneficial for mankind than the western humane putting to sleep and calm killing.

Citation needed.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

ninja900 wrote: »
    Citation needed.

Look it up. Animals usually die in the hunt, they release hormones that stay in the body after death. This is a know situation.

People who hunt and kill their animals and those who slaughter domestic animals have reported better meat from the old fashion killing methods.

Old fashion killing involved livestock hung from their back feet and having their throats cut, it simulated hunting and filled the animal with hormones and adrenalin.

Some believe this killing method, apart from being traditional gives extra protection to the consumer as well as the meat tasting better.

Advertisement