Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Books to avoid like a bookworm on a diet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shiny Cactus

just finished going through this thread many of the "Greats" both novels and authors are put down, resulting in me putting some of them on the back-burner(going to read them sometime).

surprised no one has mentioned frankenstein, got to around page 70 and stopped to save my ability to enjoy a book also the Innocent Mage was rubbish after giving it a chance from others advise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I read Labyrinth by Kate Mosse recently as I'd heard they were making an "epic" mini series out of it, so I thought it must be good if they're making it for TV, right?

Wrong. Load of balls, basically.

It made very little sense, was really confusing at times as to who or what the author was talking about. At one point she was calling a character by the wrong name. Just a load of nonsense really.

Apparently it's a massive seller and has made the author filthy rich, just goes to show being on the best sellers list isn't always a sign of quality.

Agreed, absolute twaddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Ecarg wrote: »
    I have to disagree, I enjoyed both The Historian and Labyrinth. However regards a book to avoid, it has to be Anita Shieve's Testamony.

Labyrinth is tripe. I found the Historian to be an enjoyable caper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭zyanya

Lately there's been an excess of books along the lines of: "Mister Whoeverton thought he had a normal life, until he finds himself with a (mysterious object) that links him with (some interesting period in history) and (its main characters). Now, he's in the middle of a quest that could change the way we see the world / the fate of mankind!" You can even make your own, with that template. There are several good ones, but in general, I'm getting sort of annoyed of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

David Moody writes apocalyptic sci-fi which is one of my favourite genres, his 2 main series are the Hater trilogy and the Autumn series but they are really really tiresome to try and read, they're so bland for one thing, like he never identifies the town/place/country he's in, never mentions the name of a product or tv channel or anything like that, all he says is stuff like "He remembered going into town to watch the local football team here in this place in the good times", it makes his worlds so dull and boring, seeing this in a lot of new authors these days, seems to be the more hype you hear online about a book the blander it turns out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

zyanya wrote: »
    Lately there's been an excess of books along the lines of: "Mister Whoeverton thought he had a normal life, until he finds himself with a (mysterious object) that links him with (some interesting period in history) and (its main characters). Now, he's in the middle of a quest that could change the way we see the world / the fate of mankind!" You can even make your own, with that template. There are several good ones, but in general, I'm getting sort of annoyed of those.

There was definitely a glut of them after the Da Vinci Code. I haven't noticed it as much recently.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Ormus wrote: »
    There was definitely a glut of them after the Da Vinci Code. I haven't noticed it as much recently.

It's probably like trends in music. Something new and different comes along and is randomly very successful and then people start to notice all the similar books that were there all along. Like this trend for "Nordic Noir" at the moment.

It's probably like trends in music. Something new and different comes along and is randomly very successful and then people start to notice all the similar books that were there all along. Like this trend for "Nordic Noir" at the moment.
    Disagree, I think there's a new breed of parasitic writers out there ready to jump on any new trend and capable of crapping out a book in a month or two, just take a look at the new releases section in any bookshop these days :D

Thargor wrote: »
    Disagree, I think there's a new breed of parasitic writers out there ready to jump on any new trend and capable of crapping out a book in a month or two, just take a look at the new releases section in any bookshop these days :D

Well it's probably a mix of both. Some writers will have already been writing that kind of thing, some will jump on the bandwagon and pedal out as much as they can while it's the "in thing". Probably publishers and book shops have a lot to do with it too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Falling Man by Don DeLillo, hope it hasn't been said already.

+1 for the slap.

Reading part 3 of 1Q84 by MURAKAMI and struggling. Loved parts 1 and 2 but part 3 very slow.

Well it's probably a mix of both. Some writers will have already been writing that kind of thing, some will jump on the bandwagon and pedal out as much as they can while it's the "in thing". Probably publishers and book shops have a lot to do with it too.
    A mix of both is right of course but God there is some bilge out there these days, I feel like an old man tut-tuting over what I see people buying whenever Im in a bookshop these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

The Catastrophist - by Ronan Bennet ? --- TRIPE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Anything written by Jack Kerouac. Appalling writer. Criminally overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Scouter123

theCzar wrote: »
    Something Happened by Joesph Heller, I just. Can't. Finish. I have never ever ever not finished a book so technically, I'm still reading it. been reading it for two years now, woeful.

What disappointment from the man who wrote my fav book. :(

about 3/4 way through after 4 months its a hard sell but i got it ordered through chapters. i had to try to read it backandforth all the way. "did i read some of this before" kept going through my head

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Colonel Kurtz

Always controversial, Mr. Kerouac! I'm inclined to agree though, somewhat over-rated. I always grin when I think of Truman Capote's mischievous comment on the creative slog that was the writing of On the Road:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Colonel Kurtz

Scouter123 wrote: »
    about 3/4 way through after 4 months its a hard sell but i got it ordered through chapters. i had to try to read it backandforth all the way. "did i read some of this before" kept going through my head

Have to say I gave up on "Something happened" too. Barely made it half-way through. Seemed like Heller poured most of his best ideas into his first novel. Still, what a first novel though!! He was probably entitled to the odd mis-step!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I did my Masters on Beowulf and in the process read some pretty terrible adaptations, one which was called Grendel's Mother. It was so atrocious, and unintentionally hilarious ("with my penis alone I have slain horses" was one line in it). But what did I expect when there were no reviews ANYWHERE on the internet. Stay well away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

theCzar wrote: »
    Something Happened by Joesph Heller, I just. Can't. Finish. I have never ever ever not finished a book so technically, I'm still reading it. been reading it for two years now, woeful.

What disappointment from the man who wrote my fav book. :(
    Scouter123 wrote: »

This is sacrilege:D Something Happened is probably the greatest American novel of the 20th Century.

The worst I've ever read was The Average American Male by Chad Kultgen. It's the only book I've torn up with my bare hands it was so obnoxious and offensive and disgusting and so dismally and blindly dumb. It's really bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

I would advise people to avoid The Hunger Games!

The first book was alright, but they got more ridiculus after a while, (shooting down aircraft with arrows -_-).The second and third books are mostly concerned with how the main character thinks she loves two poor gob****es.

I believe that it was one of the most unrealistic and frustrating novels I have ever read in my life, (even taking into account the futuristic context)

• Registered Users Posts: 42 CrowWoman

Thargor, I agree with you about the Hater series. I've read (and hated) the first two. Haven't bought the third which isn't like me (I usually have an OCD "started so I'll finish" view when I start a series.

My contribution:

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. He takes what could have been an interesting story and turns it into dry-as-dust dreck.

Anything by Iain M Banks -- I've given him a fair shake and tried about five of his books across his SF and non-SF genres. I hate his characters and find his writing to be distant and unconvincing.

Last Night in Twisted River by John Irving. Again, he created an interesting premise and good characters, then buried them in boring, irrelevant minutiae. I gave myself permission to give up about half-way in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Yea I was surprised by this, I was really in the mood for his story but the writing was just so hallow imo I couldn't finish it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

REAMDE by Neal Stephenson. I can't describe how much I hated this book. Stopped reading after ~400/1100 pages. Most self indulgent over drawn out book I've ever read.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

I have to agree with the people who've said Jack Kerouac, On The Road was a pain to read..

I must say Lord of the Flies was one of biggest disappointment for me. :o Think my expectations were too high!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

a0ifee wrote: »
    I have to agree with the people who've said Jack Kerouac, On The Road was a pain to read..

I must say Lord of the Flies was one of biggest disappointment for me. :o Think my expectations were too high!

Agree with you on On the Road - pointless with no structure to it - no idea why its so highly rated.

I liked Lord of the Flies - think its one of those must read books..

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭a0ifee

Tom Joad wrote: »
    I liked Lord of the Flies - think its one of those must read books..

From what I've read, people seem to either love it or hate it!

a0ifee wrote: »
    From what I've read, people seem to either love it or hate it!

Absolutely - I would say that if you put a poll up it would be 50/50 on Lord of the flies - Catch 22 and On the Road would also be on that list - they are just like marmite :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭JC43

The timekeeper by Mitch Albom.

Desperate read, read it for my bookclub and not one f the nine of s enjoyed it,

Waste of time and mney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

Anything by Christopher Ransom and The Haunted by Nikki Valentine.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Loreida

Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh.
    Actually, anything by Evelyn Waugh...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

The Red Riding Quartet( 1974,1977,1980, 1983) by David Peace. While there is no doubt that Peace is a talented writer and indeed the topics raised in the books were interesting with regards to police corruption in Yorkshire set against the backround of Yorkshire Ripper murders.

The major flaw i had with the books was the disjointed characterisation in each novel, where for no apparent reason, some of Peaces characters would suddenly be subconcioulsy expressed on the pages, like some sort Shakesperean eulogy thats bears no resemblence to the character or even the story. The story would completely chop and change from each character, which sort of ruined the essence of the plot.

Its like as if Peace went on a weekend binge of consuming a load of Thesaurses and decided to throw it down on paper without taking into account the whole flow of the story itself.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I searched this thread to see if anyone had mentioned American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis ... there were so many results, I thought I'd searched the whole forum by mistake. It turns out I'm far from alone in recommending that this book be avoided. By the time I was halfway through, I was actively avoiding reading: I had been on a reading binge for several months up till then, and this book brought that to a screeching halt. I speed-read (skimmed) the last third, just so I could get to the end and say I'd read it.

The character of Patrick Bateman epitomises the book itself: he's just a nasty piece of work with no obvious redeeming qualities. At one point near the end we can see a glimmer of hope, in the possibility of a good relationship with Jean, but that is quickly snuffed out.

I can appreciate it as an academic exercise, the skilled use of an "unreliable narrator", but I wasn't entertained, and I didn't learn anything useful. So ... what is the purpose of this book?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Moyb Dick.I wasted 2 weeks getting through couple of hundred pages waiting for it to pick up and just gave up, If I wanted to read a textbook on the whaling industry in the 1800's I would have bought one

Madame Bovary.

Took me about a month on and off to get through it. Everyone in it is either an idiot, horrible, or both. I did not care for one single person in the whole thing. There were whole chapters describing fields, or the town, or any other amount of pointless things. It's just awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

The Other Hand by Chris Cleave.... My God, my eyes bled its was woeful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

bnt wrote: »
    I searched this thread to see if anyone had mentioned American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis ... there were so many results, I thought I'd searched the whole forum by mistake. It turns out I'm far from alone in recommending that this book be avoided. By the time I was halfway through, I was actively avoiding reading: I had been on a reading binge for several months up till then, and this book brought that to a screeching halt. I speed-read (skimmed) the last third, just so I could get to the end and say I'd read it.

The character of Patrick Bateman epitomises the book itself: he's just a nasty piece of work with no obvious redeeming qualities. At one point near the end we can see a glimmer of hope, in the possibility of a good relationship with Jean, but that is quickly snuffed out.

I can appreciate it as an academic exercise, the skilled use of an "unreliable narrator", but I wasn't entertained, and I didn't learn anything useful. So ... what is the purpose of this book?

I read this when I was about 14 (probably way too young, but my mom told me I wasn't allowed to read it...so I had to!). I was quite fascinated by it (as well as being completely shocked and repulsed), but I actually think Ellis did a good job with it. You really see how messed up Patrick Bateman is, with his obsessions with cosmetics, and suits, and basically everything. He takes everything (everything!) to excess.

It's not really about the plot at all, or any other characters besides Bateman. It's about being inside the mind of a freakin' mad man, and I think it succeeds in that respect. But not for much else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Moyb Dick.I wasted 2 weeks getting through couple of hundred pages waiting for it to pick up and just gave up, If I wanted to read a textbook on the whaling industry in the 1800's I would have bought one

I agree with you on this. Pure torture

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

I hated 'The Art of Fielding' by Chad Harbach. I can't believe this was a bestseller. It was plodding, pastiche, with lifeless stereotypical characters and a dead end plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭rougegal

gg2 wrote: »
    The Other Hand by Chris Cleave.... My God, my eyes bled its was woeful

Am with you on this. Easily the worst book I have ever tried to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭crybaby

The Red Riding Quartet( 1974,1977,1980, 1983) by David Peace. While there is no doubt that Peace is a talented writer and indeed the topics raised in the books were interesting with regards to police corruption in Yorkshire set against the backround of Yorkshire Ripper murders.

The major flaw i had with the books was the disjointed characterisation in each novel, where for no apparent reason, some of Peaces characters would suddenly be subconcioulsy expressed on the pages, like some sort Shakesperean eulogy thats bears no resemblence to the character or even the story. The story would completely chop and change from each character, which sort of ruined the essence of the plot.

Its like as if Peace went on a weekend binge of consuming a load of Thesaurses and decided to throw it down on paper without taking into account the whole flow of the story itself.......

Loved those books....I agree with you that it can be an issue with his writing and actually with a lot of crime writers - Ellroy would be another one guilty of this who want to make their characters into something bigger and deeper than they really are

Still love these two authors though probably for their over their top writing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

cloudatlas wrote: »
    I hated 'The Art of Fielding' by Chad Harbach. I can't believe this was a bestseller. It was plodding, pastiche, with lifeless stereotypical characters and a dead end plot.

I actually loved that book and recommended it all over the place, anyone else I know who read it loved it too, different strokes and all that.

I cannot believe that The City of Bohane won the IMPAC last week, I have a lot of time for Kevin Barry and think he is the best writer of short stories that there is but that book was rubbish, 250 pages too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭binncheol

The Magicians - Lev Grossman.
    Not worth the time of day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭wantacookie

Eat, Pray, Love - somehow ended up owning it, the longest thing I've every read and absolute crap.

Anything by Jodi Picoult - except maybe My Sisters Keeper
    Anything by Nicholas Sparks
    Two authors that don't know how to end a book other than "I don't want a cliche happy every after so lets kill off one of the main characters and the other is sad forever"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭FiachDubh

Insomnia- Stephen King.
    The only book of his I've disliked so far. It was a job to finish it. The first half of the book is about an old fella worried about the fact he losses a few minutes of sleep each night and the pain of losing his wife. This part of the book could have been condensed to a few chapters but it just goes on...... and on....... and on. It does get going eventually but it just isn't worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

I love those books, sure what you highlighted are issues but I think the positives out weigh the negatives.
    It was a great bleak look at corruption and abuse of power showing in all ugliness the collateral damage that gets left in its wake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭binncheol

I actually loved that book and recommended it all over the place, anyone else I know who read it loved it too, different strokes and all that.

I cannot believe that The City of Bohane won the IMPAC last week, I have a lot of time for Kevin Barry and think he is the best writer of short stories that there is but that book was rubbish, 250 pages too long.
    cloudatlas wrote: »
    I was surprised by how much I loved The Art of Fielding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

"Dexter in the Dark"

I was given the first three Dexter books as a gift, and have read them at about a year’s interval. I don’t remember much about the first two; apart from that they were ok and easy enough to read.

Recently read ‘Dexter in the Dark’, which I didn’t finish, but I felt like throwing it in the bin. Every time Dexter has to travel anywhere, the author has to mention that the traffic is really bad, that people in Miami drive like maniacs, and that you’re risking your life taking the motorway. Every. Single. Time. It’s almost as if he realized the story was paper thin so he had to fill up some pages with useless detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Yup, I have a few

Mansfield Park, utter, utter rubbish, a narrative about Victorian conformity and manners with a 1 dimensional utterly forgettable, insipid heroine, Fanny who does little more than articulate her inner most feelings on feeling either embarassed/shamed or appalled by Mr. Crawford being a cad.

Bleak House, more Victorian rubbish, with a long drawn out pursuit sequence for Lady Dedlock which goes on and on and on much like the case of Jarndyce and Jarndyce, utter crap. Dicken's needed an editor, the characters are your typical Victorian stiffs, expostulating on the importance of God, manners and yadda yadda.

Robinson Crusoe: 18th Christian propaganda, you are subjected to hundreds of pages of Crusoe going on about he's been punished by God for his social trangressions as a sailor. Then you have incredibly boring and detailed descriptions of how he makes corn and sheepskin clothes on his own. The offensiveness of the racism was funny even though it's equally deplorable , eg Friday, a native he rescues from Cannibals is instructed to call him "master." Then where it should end, when he gets off the island, the novel goes on (my problem with reading novels) and he rambles on about further adventures, one involving a pointless altercation with a bear in some mountains.

Jane Eyre, rubbish but it has some redeeming traits, namely that Jane Eyre seems to harbour a certain contempt for Victorian society, good on her! It also has some interesting flights of fancy, I wouldnt say avoid this one so much but it does get boring after the first 150 pages with only intermittent moments of interest afterwards.

The Wide Sargasso Sea: avoid, fan fiction at its worst and it's offensive in that it takes the universe of Jane Eyre and exploits it for its own 20th century political agenda. I dont have a problem with criticising 19th century literature, most of it is either rubbish or contemptible in terms of its politics, but nonetheless I find it's a violation of the universe of another author when you impose you own one on it.

I have wasted 2 months of my life reading these books, this is why I recommend you avoid them.

Oh yeah The Stand, great start, human race almost goes extinct, wahey! But therein the problem lies, from the ridiculous "come eat chicken with me, it's so dark" line of a ghoul, to a Lassie, superdog moment when Stu survives the fallout radius of a nuclear bomb and is nursed back to health by his trusty dog. Also Fanny, (why is it the worst female characters have this name) is utterly irritating, a weak, self centered protagonist who we're meant to sympathise with? Wtf?! The only characters who were likeable were Harold and Nadine and they were killed off as transgressor outcasts, a demonstration if anything Stephen King's insidious social conservatism. Additionally a folksy Maine knowledge of mechanics was seemingly enough to restart power plants and maintain/fly fighter jets. My arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Mansfield Park
    Bleak House
    Jane Eyre

Well, that's you on my ignore list! :p

Mansfield Park, utter, utter rubbish, a narrative about Victorian conformity and manners

Jane Austen, Time Traveller. Who knew?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Well, that's you on my ignore list! :p

Jane Austen, Time Traveller. Who knew?

Ah, I see, Georgian or Romantic or whatever, it felt like a Victorian novel all the same with its obsession on decorum and all that "she was ever so embarrased by lady or lord such and such noticing that she had held her fork at a 70 degree angle which bye the bye was a grevious trangression of table manners. I just cannot get into the headspace that Austen was in when she was writing whatever it is she writes, and the worst bit is that it goes on and on like that for 500 + pages! Like really?! Do you really need to write 540 something pages on how characters feel about social situations and...relationships? I didn't read it so much as looked at the lines and turned the pages. I hate that style of writing, novels lend themselves to a focus on realism and the present, things I shun. Bleak House may as well have been 19th century Eastenders.

• Advertisement
Advertisement