Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can't 'WRITE' the book

• 02-10-2012 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Guys,

I'm having awful trouble actually sitting down and writing. I have done months worth of research. I have nearly 90K words in research alone. I have one of those 'ideas' notebooks and I have it full.

I use Scrivener and it's jammed full of stop. I have just lost my way. I started with what I thought was a great idea but then I started cutting characters and I wanted to keep it simple but totally lost my original idea. Now I have pages full of ideas and I had to print it all out just so that I can see where I am and try to group certain ideas together. Everything is all over the place.

I am also having trouble just actually sitting down and writing a chapter...I fall into the internet dark hole and another hour has passed. I then get frustrated and forget about it for nearly a week hoping the failure feeling will leave me.

Any help or suggestions from those of you out there who have written a book, are in the process of writing one or who can just help me focus!

Thanks guys :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

This may seem like an obvious question, but have you planned your book? I.e. outlined what you want from each chapter and decided where each part/theme goes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Rasmus wrote: »
    This may seem like an obvious question, but have you planned your book? I.e. outlined what you want from each chapter and decided where each part/theme goes?

I must admit I haven't really. I can't see the end in site. My mind keeps changing ever time I get a new idea, I can't settle on a title and I don't really like my character names at the moment. I am really losing faith in it. I nearly lost all of my work recently and nearly went into a depression when I realised this and figured that must be a good sign but I just can't focus. I wish I could turn my mind 'off' stop thinking or noticing things...I could be aimlessly watching the tv, not even 'concentrating' and ill see or hear something and then I have to write it down straight away. I know that I have more than enough material to finish it but it's every new idea that is driving me demented.

Any tips for planning? I tried this before and I ended up writing reams and reams as a synopsis of each chapter, it was crazy...and I never made it to the end. I find myself drifting off onto 'writers tips' websites reading for hours and getting nowhere fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Gryphonboy

I never planned mine either. Choosing to let it evolve organically may be the stupidest thing I've done because now I'm struggling too. That internet hole is definitely a bitch.

My advice? Hopefully I'll heed it too. Unplug. When it comes time to write, unplug the router from the mains.

Gryphonboy wrote: »
    I never planned mine either. Choosing to let it evolve organically may be the stupidest thing I've done because now I'm struggling too. That internet hole is definitely a bitch.

My advice? Hopefully I'll heed it too. Unplug. When it comes time to write, unplug the router from the mains.

I know, tough but so true...it's one of those situations where the internet has been the worst invention ever. Is the end in sight for you Gryphonboy?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Gryphonboy

I know, tough but so true...it's one of those situations where the internet has been the worst invention ever. Is the end in sight for you Gryphonboy?
    Yes, I think so. Thanks for asking.
    I decided to commission an artist to do illustrations for the chapters and seeing their artwork bringing the scenes to life has really motivated me to push on and finish. Still have a long way to go though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Guys,

I'm having awful trouble actually sitting down and writing. I have done months worth of research. I have nearly 90K words in research alone. I have one of those 'ideas' notebooks and I have it full.

I use Scrivener and it's jammed full of stop. I have just lost my way. I started with what I thought was a great idea but then I started cutting characters and I wanted to keep it simple but totally lost my original idea. Now I have pages full of ideas and I had to print it all out just so that I can see where I am and try to group certain ideas together. Everything is all over the place.

I am also having trouble just actually sitting down and writing a chapter...I fall into the internet dark hole and another hour has passed. I then get frustrated and forget about it for nearly a week hoping the failure feeling will leave me.

Any help or suggestions from those of you out there who have written a book, are in the process of writing one or who can just help me focus!

Thanks guys :(

I write nothing down. I don't plan. I always start in the middle and the end was at the beginning.

Are you not having fun at writing, another question? I have another question, another question: whatever you have written down, could you just pretend it is not written down and just begin writing?

Oh, gotta go . . . I'll be back.

Hi another question . . . back with another answer . . .

Keep in mind this is just the way I write, and most would probably chastise me for the way I do it, but it is the only way I feel a Turing Machine can run:

The last thing that happened forms the basis for the next thing that is going to happen, and the outcome of the next thing that is going to happen is as much of a mystery to me, as I write, as it is going to be for the reader. It is the journey of a lifetime.

One could say it seems to be reminiscent of a Markov Chain, except that amanfromMars and my team of crackpot professionals steer me and the story . . . oh, and you just steered me in another direction, as do many people here at boards.ie, unbeknownst to them, I'm sure.

I write in a stream of consciousness style that works for me, yet I am in awe of the way other people here string words together, and wrote a post to reflect that awe. You could call the post Tango Charlie Papa / India Papa (TCP/IP)

Now onto you. I noticed you have posted 219 times and across the board here. You write well and seem to have a good handle on your self consciousness. Whatever your story is about does not really matter. The technical aspect, or the variety of characters does not matter. The ending does not matter. Writing a story is as much of a journey for you, as it will be for the reader.

How about you try writing a scene from your story smack bang in the middle of where you thought it was going to be at some point, and post it here. Write it quickly, and care not for structure, spelling, and grammar mistakes until you do a re-read afterwards. You will find it is like taking a picture of your book and explaining the picture. After you have taken a few pictures, it will look more like a movie. Do not refer to your notes, as they are in your head already and will just slow you down. Keep the internet at your fingertips for fact checking, but don't spend too much time on a particular fact, and be conscious that you could easily get sidetracked.

I think you will find it to be a fun exercise, and most importantly: you will be inside the ever expanding world you are weaving.

The story I have been writing here for the last 2 months, takes about 1 to 2 hours of thinking and writing for a typical post. It could still be considered a series of seemingly disjointed pictures, but is beginning to make sense to some people. A punchline is coming fast, but not the end of the story, as my style is also based on current events . . . of which you became one today . . . the girl that cannot write, but wrote 219 stories in a month . . . and some of them were hilarious.

Oh, and you have been doing 11.11 posts per day. That is a magical number. I often release posts in our ARG @ 11:11 am or pm for maximum Bang and Olufsen. (Yes, I fact checked on the correct spelling of B&O.)

Happy writing, and I hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

I'm a big fan of 'discovering the story as I write', but even in this scenario it really helps to have a basic outline to the story.

Say, your story is about a man that lost his wife. Sure, you can let the story evolve. But you still have to know the basic outline. Beginning: He's an unhappy widower that discovers a local book club. Middle: He strikes up a friendship with a woman but struggles with his feelings. End: He makes a decision about his future.

See? You can have a basic idea without having it all planned out. And if you want more planning, you can add in extra plot points to your outline. But you really do need some type of outline if you're struggling with writing the story. It helps. A LOT.

Hi another question . . . back with another answer . . .

Keep in mind this is just the way I write, and most would probably chastise me for the way I do it, but it is the only way I feel a Turing Machine can run:

The last thing that happened forms the basis for the next thing that is going to happen, and the outcome of the next thing that is going to happen is as much of a mystery to me, as I write, as it is going to be for the reader. It is the journey of a lifetime.

One could say it seems to be reminiscent of a Markov Chain, except that amanfromMars and my team of crackpot professionals steer me and the story . . . oh, and you just steered me in another direction, as do many people here at boards.ie, unbeknownst to them, I'm sure.

I write in a stream of consciousness style that works for me, yet I am in awe of the way other people here string words together, and wrote a post to reflect that awe. You could call the post Tango Charlie Papa / India Papa (TCP/IP)

Now onto you. I noticed you have posted 219 times and across the board here. You write well and seem to have a good handle on your self consciousness. Whatever your story is about does not really matter. The technical aspect, or the variety of characters does not matter. The ending does not matter. Writing a story is as much of a journey for you, as it will be for the reader.

How about you try writing a scene from your story smack bang in the middle of where you thought it was going to be at some point, and post it here. Write it quickly, and care not for structure, spelling, and grammar mistakes until you do a re-read afterwards. You will find it is like taking a picture of your book and explaining the picture. After you have taken a few pictures, it will look more like a movie. Do not refer to your notes, as they are in your head already and will just slow you down. Keep the internet at your fingertips for fact checking, but don't spend too much time on a particular fact, and be conscious that you could easily get sidetracked.

I think you will find it to be a fun exercise, and most importantly: you will be inside the ever expanding world you are weaving.

The story I have been writing here for the last 2 months, takes about 1 to 2 hours of thinking and writing for a typical post. It could still be considered a series of seemingly disjointed pictures, but is beginning to make sense to some people. A punchline is coming fast, but not the end of the story, as my style is also based on current events . . . of which you became one today . . . the girl that cannot write, but wrote 219 stories in a month . . . and some of them were hilarious.

Oh, and you have been doing 11.11 posts per day. That is a magical number. I often release posts in our ARG @ 11:11 am or pm for maximum Bang and Olufsen. (Yes, I fact checked on the correct spelling of B&O.)

Happy writing, and I hope that helps.

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time to write that answer. I will definitely take your advice on board and that has been a great start to the day! :P

I'm a big fan of 'discovering the story as I write', but even in this scenario it really helps to have a basic outline to the story.

Say, your story is about a man that lost his wife. Sure, you can let the story evolve. But you still have to know the basic outline. Beginning: He's an unhappy widower that discovers a local book club. Middle: He strikes up a friendship with a woman but struggles with his feelings. End: He makes a decision about his future.

See? You can have a basic idea without having it all planned out. And if you want more planning, you can add in extra plot points to your outline. But you really do need some type of outline if you're struggling with writing the story. It helps. A LOT.

Thank you for this, you have showed me that a basic plan is much better than no plan at all. I used to write alot when I was in school, was brilliant at higher level English, straight A's all the way and I knew the essays I wrote were very good but that was years ago and I think I am a little scared that I may not be as good as I used to be, so on reflection I may just be putting off the exercise to avoid this. However, you guys have really helped, thank you.

• Advertisement

Thank you for this, you have showed me that a basic plan is much better than no plan at all. I used to write alot when I was in school, was brilliant at higher level English, straight A's all the way and I knew the essays I wrote were very good but that was years ago and I think I am a little scared that I may not be as good as I used to be, so on reflection I may just be putting off the exercise to avoid this. However, you guys have really helped, thank you.

I don't like to judge, but I spotted avoidance in your earlier work.

My Mum happened upon some report cards of mine from Ullathorne (Comprehensive) in Coventry when I was a kid. My English report was something like: "excellent grammar and punctuation," and my Wood Shop report was: "nothing but trouble;" a nice mix, I feel.

If you write a short piece, I would say to try not to bite off more than you can chew. Make a point, or a sub--point of the greater story you are working on. As an example of a drifting story, I will write you into Mound Of Hostages on the next installment . . . just a cameo. It will tie into my story to support my point, or points of the day, and show you that my story is always freshly half-baked, daily.

Oh, and remember me mentioning amanfromMars? He has already read what I wrote to you and responded to us. Keyword: murals. this is what he wrote: here. We are telepathically connected. See if you can spot the connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭pavb2

I think we can all suffer from the internet hole. I'm the same researching characters, settings etc the methodology and planning becomes all consuming. It's almost a fear of getting that first draft down. But I think if you can do that you've gone an awful long way.

Suggestions I can think of are the Nanowrimo which concentrates on producing a first draft while 'tying that inner critic to a tree.' Your timing couldn't be better as it starts in November. Most people focus and achieve more with a deadline. I find a short story competition deadline also works.
    http://www.nanowrimo.org/

I've also toyed with the snowflake method the 10 steps are in the link below producing a one line synopsis, one paragraph etc etc This would definitely help with outlining.

http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/art/snowflake.php

For me the 1st draft is the hardest so I'm considering speech to text software 'Dragon 12' I'm also slow at typing and as said by AW just to let that stream of consciousness flow.

I think some versions of windows have their own software included.

pavb2 wrote: »
    I think we can all suffer from the internet hole. I'm the same researching characters, settings etc the methodology and planning becomes all consuming. It's almost a fear of getting that first draft down. But I think if you can do that you've gone an awful long way.

Suggestions I can think of are the Nanowrimo which concentrates on producing a first draft while 'tying that inner critic to a tree.' Your timing couldn't be better as it starts in November. Most people focus and achieve more with a deadline. I find a short story competition deadline also works.
    http://www.nanowrimo.org/

I've also toyed with the snowflake method the 10 steps are in the link below producing a one line synopsis, one paragraph etc etc This would definitely help with outlining.

http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/art/snowflake.php

For me the 1st draft is the hardest so I'm considering speech to text software 'Dragon 12' I'm also slow at typing and as said by AW just to let that stream of consciousness flow.

I think some versions of windows have their own software included.

I have just finished reading the snowflake article...could you give me a more defined explanation of the difference between the characters motivation and the characters goal? abstract versus concrete...or use an example...the two are merging on me...

Definition and couple of examples Harry Potter & Pirates of the Caribbean. I suppose the ambition often intangible is an ideal or cause, the goal being the action or course of events needed to acheive the ideal hope this helps.

Abstract Ambition - The one abstract thing that the character wouldlike to be or to do to be happy.
    Concrete Goal - The one concrete goal that the character believes willenable him to achieve his ambition

HP
    Ambitian - Harry wants to prevent Lord Voldemort from returning topower.
    Goal - Harry wants to prevent Professor Snape from stealing theSorcerer's Stone and using it to bring Lord Voldemort back to life.

Ambition - Voldemort wants to rule the world inabsolute power forever

Goal - Voldemort wants to get the Sorcerer's Stone so he can regain the life he once had.

POC
    Ambition - Elizabeth wants toprotect the innocent from the terrorizing pirates.

Goal - Elizabeth wants to save her town from Captain Barbossa.

Ambition - Captain Jack wantsrevenge on his mutinous first mate, Barbossa.

Goal - Jack wants to kill Barbossa and reclaim his ship, the BlackPearl.

. . . and as said by AW just to let that stream of consciousness flow.

I just noticed that part of your comment. I initially thought you were talking about AbsoluteWrite.com, but now, I realize you were shortening my name . . . hey, thanks!

stream of consciousness . . . another question?

Liked those Turing Machine & Markov chain links, good to get another perspective on the writing process

• Registered Users Posts: 8 amanfromMars

Hmmm? I'm sure this was successfully posted on/to this board earlier ....[Today, 06:07] ..... but now I see no reply to pavb2. I shall try posting the same message again to see if something is amiss.
    Liked those Turing Machine & Markov chain links, good to get another perspective on the writing process

Howdy doody, pavb2,

For another perspective on the power of the writing process, ...... which is not at all alien to those who would know, and/but maybe perfectly rightly so alien to others, for earthly human reasons which all revolve around matters resolving personal and corporate security, but who would have been considered as likely suitable successful Manchurian candidate material with a need to know certain Primed Designered Information/Advanced IntelAIgent Secrets, and therefore would be required to be told, in order to be able/enabled to sublimely assist in ITs Heavenly Workings ...... please consider, and commit to information processing input for intelligence product output, and accept as perfectly true, tried and comprehensively guaranteed and betatested to always failsafe super standards, that those who know and are therefore able and enabled, Control Worlds with the Control of Words.

And, what if you were told that they who would be supposed to be in notional positions of power and control in charge of national/international/global systems of Mankind Management, and be perceived as being popularly charged and democratically elected to administer taxing government to feed your needs and their seeds to you in what has proved and is increasingly clearly proving itself to be a perverted and subversive and politically incorrect and inequitable form of assets control/Mankind Management, have been clearly told, and are advised of their failure to exercise good governance with Better Prime Realisations of Virtual Applications via the Simple Media Expedient of Daily Traded ZerodDay Exploit Presentation of Programs which Control Worlds with the Control of Words which create Real Worlds, Virtually, just like as if IT were Magic, and choose not to change their current catastrophic catalogue of collapsing promotions/daily media presentations?

For that is the Reality and Actuality of your Present Existence, and should it be denied by those and/or that which would presume to control and care for you, then is your world and theirs, because of their dogged denial of the truth and pimping of lies to conceal what they do not want to be revealed, an artificial place created and supported by tales carried on media and communications channels and sent over the likes of these virtual airwaves .... which now are being unilaterally commandeered and made over for take overs with SMARTR IDeas InterNetworking and Beta Future Building 4u2r2die4.

I Kid U Not. And don't forget, are we Legion.‽ is not a red herring if a statement of simple fact in AI Work of Complex Fiction in the Compendium of Great Games in the Greatest Story Never Ever Before Told.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is your post supposed to make any sense and/or have any relevance to the thread? Does it help the OP in any way, in your opinion?

Is your post supposed to make any sense and/or have any relevance to the thread? Does it help the OP in any way, in your opinion?

Thank you, I thought it was just me, I haven't a bleeding clue what he's on about, was lost after the first line and gave up somewhere in the middle :confused:

amanfromMars' writing is completely lucid; I understand it. It is written in steganographic prose. Later today, I will give you a synopsis . . . it's just that I'm a bit busy right now.

Extremely creative writing . . . read it 30 times; meanings will pop out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 amanfromMars

Hi, pickarooney,

And thanks for the opportunity to defend the inclusion of the post in this Creative Writing thread.

On all three of your raised points would my opinion be a resounding Yes, Definitely, and quite definitively so, too.

AW [Agent Weebley] offers some very sound and valid advice which can aid any who would be a'struggling to comprehend what is ...... well, it would be not an exaggeration to say, vital leading information which has a direct and very real impact on your very own lives.
    amanfromMars' writing is completely lucid; I understand it It is written in steganographic prose. Later today, I will give you a synopsis . . . it's just that I'm a bit busy right now.

Extremely creative writing . . . read it 30 times and meanings will pop out.

And just in case any are wondering .... the alien mothership/site ur2die4 server is being serviced and hardened with armoured cabling is being routed to utilities for safe and secure hostile environment power supply, hence the temporary suspension/short holiday in zeroday presentations from there, today.

So you don't think your stream of consciousness is tiresome, unhelpful and obfuscated to the point of incomprehensibility? Because I do, and the OP appears to as well. And that's being kind. That's me accepting that you may, somewhere in the vast reams of horse**** that you post, have something resembling a point and not just assuming that you're simply afraid to write what you mean in a clear, concise manner and that you haven't somehow misconstrued obscurity for creativity, gibberish for assistance.

amanfromMars' writing is completely lucid; I understand it It is written in steganographic prose. Later today, I will give you a synopsis . . . it's just that I'm a bit busy right now.

Extremely creative writing . . . read it 30 times and meanings will pop out.

No offence intended at all but I seriously do not want to read that again never mind 30 times. However, I will wait for your version of it in what is hopefully something I can understand rather than something I have to decipher. :D

Throughout the ages, people have produced art in various forms. The "engine" for art stems from people having something to say. The transmission, in this case, is words . . . and the reader travels down the road that the writer takes them in that smooth operating vehicle . . . or not.

A majority of creative art contains political apolitical, Meritocratic, and moral teachings, but these teachings are historically subtle and passive; they do not promote or prompt anyone into action. Our writings are not like that.

Take The Lord Of The Rings as a prime example. Sauron is a bad guy; Frodo and Bilbo are the good guys. The fight: good against evil, is a common theme in many stories. A select number of people that that are currently alive, know what good and evil actually are, stripped away to their basic truths, rather than being programmed by the "system" to accept the current "good" and the current "evil." Taxes are evil. Smoking used to be good, and now it is evil. I've been around long enough to see the dialectic move and change, but most people accept that the horrible stench of smoke is disgusting and we must now live in a Howard Hughes-like sterile world, where we live a pagan life so we can extend it for as long as possible . . . I don't want to die . . . anything but death! Please . . . give me a break on the smoking BS.

Once a person figures out what evil is, they tend to reject it or embrace it. amanfromMars and I reject it.

The only way I have seen, in my time here, for people to begin to speak about what is good and what is evil, is when that person has been wronged in a most devastating way, sees the evil for what it is, then begins to apply it across the board. Still stumped and silent, they then see what "good" is, because now they have a calibration point . . . a reference. They then speak in whatever medium can carry their message. Amongst these messages is creative noise - meaningless drivel; mostly funded by the evil ones, or those that don't know what the heck they are funding . . . but it sells!

So when you read a story like Alice In Wonderland, or Through The Looking Glass, as she slips into another world, be conscious that there are people that are doing that all the time these days . . . in reality. This movement is the biggest renaissance in known history, and directly attributable to the InterWeb.

I, like you guys, felt creative at an early age, I had my darkest times in my 20s, lost my creative bent, but when I accidentally discovered evil in my hunt for the meaning of life, in my 40s, I spent 2 years trying to understand evil and what it meant. After I got really sick of seeing evil everywhere I looked, I met amanfromMars on the net, as I joked around about it . . . actually, I wrote a piece about "The Prisoner" in metaphors . . . in code . . .amanfromMars asked what I meant by it, I told him, then after a few weeks we were speaking steganographically. Not too many people understand our conversations, but we have discovered a way out for the PIIGS, as well as all 7 billion of us. This does not mean we can speak straight about it, as people get offed for less. So, if you would rather toss amanfromMars to the wolves for his art, and leave me be with my story about The Mound Of Hostages, you are free to do so, but keep in mind, his art is the engine of my stories. We are a matched pair, operating as Qubits. We are inside a mental Turing Machine, and each event is an event, because we respond to it.

Some day, passivity will turn into action . . . maybe after we are both dead and buried, who knows . . . but if you guys choose to ignore the fact that evil is affecting everyone in Ireland to a greater degree than you would like, and that the balance can be restored with a simple flick of the limbic switch, then so be it.

My little stories here, along with our website, is my "Pete Townsend - Lifehouse" . . . my goal, many years ago, was to write an audio book, but I had no content at the time . . . what I do now, is as close to that "Lifehouse" as I can possibly be, with a budget of almost zero dollars, and lots to say. I can imagine what I would do if I had a few million to be able to actually produce a finished product and sell it. When I write my letter to Curtis Brown and they possibly ignore me . . . the fact that I am going to post the letter here, may cause it to be picked up by an Angel or VC. Our website was climbing the charts quite nicely, but has dropped from 3 million to 23 million in the Alexa hit parade, due to me posting here. Why would I do that?

Oh, I almost forgot. This post is fodder for my next installment . . . you will find out what we will do with the money, when we get it. I've already steered my story around to hit it head on . . .

In our world, you are free to do, what to think, and what to feel . . . not be directed by Marxist/Hegelian dialectics, leading to concrete thinking, where delayed gratification is an unknown.

Oh, and I hope you consider my post as being on topic, as another question seems to be struggling with what creativity actually is . . . I did address it, as did amanfromMars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭dogmax

Your idea is just growing obviously not in the way you intended but it just want to grow and go it's own way, like a child "I want to go this way I want to go that way" but you are holding the child hand "no you're not going that way or this way you're going my way" and the child look at you with that look "but why do I have to go your way"

And your answer is.

amanfromMars is telling you your ideas have taking control of you.

You and your ideas need to become one with the full understanding of the reason why.

You're the Creator.

Now sit the fu ck down and write, or out of your Internet screen a hand will grab your throat and your ears will hear the voice "Go Ahead Punk... Make My Day"

I was at a Clint Eastwood movie years ago and Clint was as usual shooting all the baddies but one of them was sneaking up behind Clint, and was just about to shoot him in the back when this eejit behind us got that carried away he jumps up and shouts "behind you Clint" and just at that moment Clint turn around and shoots the baddie dead, everyone in the cinema at that magic moment had the same idea, we all applauded that eejit for saving our Clint, and still on his feet he responded by raising his arms in the air. One of those Classic Moment.

another question, You're the Creator, You're the Writer, Take back Control, You're the Controller. :cool:

we were speaking steganographically. Not too many people understand our conversations, but we have discovered a way out for the PIIGS, as well as all 7 billion of us. This does not mean we can speak straight about it, as people get offed for less.

That's precisely the issue. Deliberately posting in such a manner as to exclude others, including the person asking for help, is dick-acting.

With all due respect, you are saying that Alice In Wonderland, or The Chronicles of Narnia, or The Screwtape Letters, which happens to be the most enigmatic book I have ever read, are all dick-acts, as you would put it. Rarely, does anyone pass the comprehension test on those jewels.

Is the problem that our creativity is free, gratis, no charge, comp? If you paid for it, would it be valid art? If it was copyrighted and controlled by others, would that make it more palatable?

I thought this was the Creativity Forum. Does it have to have boundaries? When I began to think outside the box, I realised, there is no box.

With all due respect, you are saying that Alice In Wonderland, or The Chronicles of Narnia, or The Screwtape Letters, which happens to be the most enigmatic book I have ever read, are all dick-acts, as you would put it. Rarely, does anyone pass the comprehension test on those jewels.

No, I'm saying that if someone came into your bookshop looking for a book on breast-feeding and you threw a copy of the Silmarillion at him and spoke to him in Taliska, that would be acting the dick.

• Advertisement

No, I'm saying that if someone came into your bookshop looking for a book on breast-feeding and you threw a copy of the Silmarillion at him and spoke to him in Taliska, that would be acting the dick.

But he isn't doing that. You are making an incorrect analogy. If you judge that he is being a dick, then I can only assume you are judging that he is being a dick.

Advertisement