Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Overtaking lane hogger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Why are people concerned with what the lorry driver did. Was he supposed to stop in the driving lane of a motorway to ensure he didn't overtake on the left.

Is this actually a joke ? If you're on a motorway where a driver completely comes to a stop in the overtaking lane, would you stop too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

I don't think the lorry driver was on the phone. I think it's clearly obvious at that time of night he was talking to the terrified prostitute he had tied up in the back!!!! Hehehehe sorry if I've offended any prostitutes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

It's just some fella driving a car somewhere....so what. Who cares what 'lane' he is in? Who cares?

This fella laughing his ass off....the satisfaction he gets from it is desperately sad. He should be getting that from playing in the park with his children or in bed with his missus, not laughing at some bloke getting stopped on a motorway.

It's pathetic.

I present to you the average Irish motorway driver, all we need now is a cup of coffee in one hand and a mobile in the other :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

I'm delighted that driver got done and I'm sure the UK copper went to town on them and a court date ensued hopefully with a ban depending on how many points the driver already had.

It doesn't matter frankly who the lorry driver was talking to its neither here nor there.

To suggest the lorry driver slam on when the other vehicles are braking hard is beyond pedantic, to suggest the lorry driver did something wrong in this situation is completely off the point. The bill were too busy with the incompetent driver to worry about the lorry driver. In this case the only thing to do is use your bloody common sense and continue on which he did.

Personally I would have been in knots of laughter myself with someone like that getting their comeuppance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Chriscl1 wrote: »
    I don't think the lorry driver was on the phone. I think it's clearly obvious at that time of night he was talking to the terrified prostitute he had tied up in the back!!!! Hehehehe sorry if I've offended any prostitutes ;)

Jeremy Clarkson finally reveals himself as a Boards.ie poster. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Ok so lets all picture this scenario for a moment...

Vehicles are all trundling along the M50 in lane 1 with slightly faster traffic moving along in lane 2.
    Someone at the same time is using lane 3 (for the sake of arguement he Is overtaking)
    Then suddenly, he slows down very quickly, right down, almost to a crawl.
    Are some people on here saying that all the traffic in lanes 1 and 2 have to slow down to match his speed and not pass him out for FEAR they might be breaking the Law.
    Because let me tell you something that is complete B()//()X and you do not understand how to drive on a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Is this actually a joke ? If you're on a motorway where a driver completely comes to a stop in the overtaking lane, would you stop too ?

I actually think CiniO would. And that's baffling.

I think most of us would have the common sense to drive on.

Sorry I should have said that there is an exception made if he is signalling that he is in trouble, then common sense pravails to give him space to get to the hard shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Hah, delighted he got pulled, he was given his chance to pull over when the cops flashed him and he slowed and then brake tested them. I guarantee the UK cops would go to town on him, they will not stand for disrespect and dangerous driving like that.

Luckily this happens a lot less in the Uk than in Ireland and most people pull over after they finished overtaking whatever was in lane 2, but every now and again you get an anus like that guy and I am laughing my arse off that he got caught.

As for a truck (with a driver most likely using a bluetooth headset otherwise he would have shut up when he saw the cop car passing) how is that going to slow down faster than a car if the truck is fully loaded? In this case he did the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

K.Flyer wrote: »

Vehicles are all trundling along the M50 in lane 1 with slightly faster traffic moving along in lane 2.
    Someone at the same time is using lane 3 (for the sake of arguement he Is overtaking)
    Are some people on here saying that all the traffic in lanes 1 and 2 have to slow down to match his speed and not pass him out for FEAR they might be breaking the Law.
    Because let me tell you something that is complete B()//()X and you do not understand how to drive on a motorway.
    salonfire wrote: »

Yes. If someone suddenly slows down on the most most right lane, it is already an emergency situation on motorway and therefore everyone else should slow down or stop.
    Otherwise, it's obvious that within very short time there will be big accident, as no one expects when left and middle lane are moving normally, that there will be obstruction on the most right lane.

Besides - no one normally slows down or stops on right lane, unless it's emergecy (breakdown, heart attack, etc), or someone is just purely stupid.
    Whatever it is, it is a situation which requires everyone else to slow down and not overtake on left.

Imagine you are driving on the most right lane, and your car cuts off and starts to slow down. What you want to do, is to get to hard shoulder, but if all other drivers follow what is said here and keep going, then he will be stock and eventually have to stop on overtaking lane casuing incredible danger.

It's really that simple - don't overtake on left.
    And described situation of someone gradually slowing down on right lane, is just one of the cases, when this rule is especially cruicial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I never read such nonsense in my life ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

So because the cops are pulling someone on the outside lane the who motorway should come to a complete stop while they go across 2 -3 lanes to a siding...

No. You are wrong

So because the cops are pulling someone on the outside lane the who motorway should come to a complete stop while they go across 2 -3 lanes to a siding...

No. You are wrong

Not necesserily to stop, but slow down so other cars can pull back to the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

The truck had slowed from ~56MPH to 45 during the brake test according to the display, keeping behind the cars, then the blues and twos came on and the lanehogger jammed on, the truck had slowed to 40 before the cars went out of view.
    We've no idea what the truck was pulling but I think its pretty certain it couldn't match the cars stopping distance so once an overlap was established, i.e. the truck was side by side with the cars, the safest thing to do was for the truck to drive on through leaving the way clear for the cars to pull to the left in the shortest timeframe. Anything else created a greater danger for any cars coming from behind, potentially the truck coming to a stop in lane 1 and cars coming to a stop in lane 2 because there was no way across the truck, or worse still, a jacknife.
    The truckdriver took the safest option IMHO.

I present to you the average Irish motorway driver, all we need now is a cup of coffee in one hand and a mobile in the other :pac:

In scruffys defence, I'm sure I've come along behind her on an empty motorway and when I moved into the overtaking lane to pass, she obligingly moved to the empty left lane to let me pass before returning to the empty right hand lane :eek:.
    Just too stereotypical to be real, I think this poster would be more likely to be found under a motorway bridge rather than in their 'fast' lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭guil

i actually saw similar happen on the m4 a year or 2 ago, i was just at the turn off for leixlip and some wally was driving in the overtaking lane with nothing else on the road, the RSU volvo comes up behind him and within i'd say about 20 seconds on comes the blues and pulled him him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Not sure if this has been posted already. I must have watched this 5 times already. :D

WARNING: Some bad language in the video.

Some?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Cinio likes to use his brakes alright, we all saw his video were he jammed on and came to a complete stop in a total over reaction and made a bad situation worse.

The truck driver did nothing wrong and his commentary is hilarious.

CiniO wrote: »

salonfire wrote: »

Yes. If someone suddenly slows down on the most most right lane, it is already an emergency situation on motorway and therefore everyone else should slow down or stop.
    Otherwise, it's obvious that within very short time there will be big accident, as no one expects when left and middle lane are moving normally, that there will be obstruction on the most right lane.

Besides - no one normally slows down or stops on right lane, unless it's emergecy (breakdown, heart attack, etc), or someone is just purely stupid.
    Whatever it is, it is a situation which requires everyone else to slow down and not overtake on left.

Imagine you are driving on the most right lane, and your car cuts off and starts to slow down. What you want to do, is to get to hard shoulder, but if all other drivers follow what is said here and keep going, then he will be stock and eventually have to stop on overtaking lane casuing incredible danger.

It's really that simple - don't overtake on left.
    And described situation of someone gradually slowing down on right lane, is just one of the cases, when this rule is especially cruicial.

You obviously did not read what I posted after I wrote after that.
    Sorry I should have said that there is an exception made if he is signalling that he is in trouble, then common sense pravails to give him space to get to the hard shoulder.

What is being referred to in general is the idiot drivers we unfortunatley encounter on our roads every day.

And on that basis I ask you to read the rules of the road again regarding motorway lane usage and passing other road users.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

It's the typical sad bastard oul git story.

Get a mortgage, wife and moan about what happens on the road. What a pointless existence that is.

The "Top Gear" audience....so sad as to set up a little weasel camera in their car and laugh hysterically at someone getting pulled over.

What a pointless, sad existence.

That's what makes them happy....some oul bollix getting pulled over by the guards. If that's middle-age, shoot me now cos that life is not worth living.

i'll get the gun

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Lane hogging is an epidemic in Ireland. Too often I have seen people driving at 80-90 kph in the right-hand lane of the motorway on the way to Galway/Dublin/Belfast and other people driving at 60-70 in the left hand lane, hence making it impossible to overtake these people.

It's definitely not Ireland, because you can see, the copper actually did his job and pulled over the lane hogger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

It's in the UK. The turn off on one road I think is the A437 but I couldn't read it clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Not necesserily to stop, but slow down so other cars can pull back to the left.

The car was indicating to the right and slowing down, giving the impression that he was going to stop on the right hand side of the road. It was only at this point that the guy taking the video passed him, and only after he had already slowed his speed. Im not really sure what more you would want him to do; if he slows any more he puts other drivers at risk of slamming into the back of him, and considering the two cars he was "undertaking" were two lanes over then I dont see any danger whatsoever from him passing them.

Imo the guy taking the recording did everything absolutely correctly.

When the idiot in the outside lane saw the flashing blue lights he should have indicated left, changed lanes one at a time and pulled onto the hard shoulder at a safe place.
    Why do some people think if they are being pulled over by the Police / Garda that they just stop as quick as they can where they are.
    If you are asked to pull over, do so, but at least find a safe place to pull in.

When the idiot in the outside lane saw the flashing blue lights he should have indicated left, changed lanes one at a time and pulled onto the hard shoulder at a safe place.
    Why do some people think if they are being pulled over by the Police / Garda that they just stop as quick as they can where they are.
    If you are asked to pull over, do so, but at least find a safe place to pull in.

The person stood on their brakes in the overtaking lane of a motorway when they knew there was a car right behind them. You cannot think of this person as having average intelligence; they are quite clearly dangerously stupid...

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭floatwinner

guil wrote: »
    i actually saw similar happen on the m4 a year or 2 ago, i was just at the turn off for leixlip and some wally was driving in the overtaking lane with nothing else on the road, the RSU volvo comes up behind him and within i'd say about 20 seconds on comes the blues and pulled him him

Just as a matter of interest, what offence would a guard/police officer charge an overtaking lane hogger with?

That video is definitely in the UK btw...

djimi wrote: »
    The car was indicating to the right and slowing down, giving the impression that he was going to stop on the right hand side of the road.
    This was the motorway. How could somone stop on the right side?
    I admit indeed that I didn't notice he turned his right indicator, but that was a bit nonsense here. Maybe he's done it accidentally.
    Anyway - I doubt UK regulations permit to overtake on the left side on motorway if someone is indicating right (like it works on other roads).
    It was only at this point that the guy taking the video passed him, and only after he had already slowed his speed. Im not really sure what more you would want him to do; if he slows any more he puts other drivers at risk of slamming into the back of him, and considering the two cars he was "undertaking" were two lanes over then I dont see any danger whatsoever from him passing them.

In this particular case, traffic was nearly non-existant, so there was very little danger anyway.
    But imagine if that happend during the day in big traffic.
    If truck driver kept going, and hundreds of other cars behind him, then lane hooger together with squad car on his tail would be stock at slow speed on overtaking lane, and they wouldn't be able to pull to the left, until someone eventually would slow down on the left lane. This makes really dangerous sitation
    Say you are driving in a queue of cars at 50MPH on left lane on motorway, and decide to overtake. You check your mirrors, and seeing there nothing behind in lane you want to take, you change lane, just to find out there is two vehicles crawling straigh in front of you.

Once again - undertaking on the motorway is dangerous, and even more dangerous is not slowing down to let slow vehicles come back from overtaking lane to the left side.

Imo the guy taking the recording did everything absolutely correctly.
    According to law he didn't as he undertook.
    According to common sence, there wasn't any danger as traffic was very low. He obviously shouldn't slam on the brakes, and it's hard to say from the video if there was a need for to slam on the brakes provided he wanted to avoid undertaking. Maybe he could avoid undertaking just slowing gradually.

Anyway - no one should undertake, and provided you can avoid undertaking without endangering cars behind by slamming on the brakes, you should.
    If there was a queue of cars on left lane, maybe if first few can't slow down that quick, than at least next few should.

Are you really guys trying to say, that if there is a slowly moving vehicle on overtaking lane on the motorway for whatever reason, it's perfectly OK to keep going at contant speed on left (driving) lane and ignore the situation?

Just as a matter of interest, what offence would a guard/police officer charge an overtaking lane hogger with?

That video is definitely in the UK btw...

I'd say - failure to drive on the left side of the road...

Totally agree and I hope he lost his licence.
    Funnily enough I saw a similar event on the M50 not so long ago.
    Southbound approx 5.30pm between Finglas and Blanch jctns a dark Audi sitting in the outside lane when an unmarked Mondeo came up behind him.
    He tapped his brakes as well, but moved out of the way quick enough when they flashed the blue an reds.
    But they did not pull him in!!
    He moved over and they took off !!??

This was the motorway. How could somone stop on the right side?
    I admit indeed that I didn't notice he turned his right indicator, but that was a bit nonsense here. Maybe he's done it accidentally.
    Anyway - I doubt UK regulations permit to overtake on the left side on motorway if someone is indicating right (like it works on other roads).

It doesnt matter if there was somewhere to pull in or not; the point is that he looked to all the world like he was going to stop. The police put on their lights, he signaled to the right and slowed down.
    In this particular case, traffic was nearly non-existant, so there was very little danger anyway.
    But imagine if that happend during the day in big traffic.
    If truck driver kept going, and hundreds of other cars behind him, then lane hooger together with squad car on his tail would be stock at slow speed on overtaking lane, and they wouldn't be able to pull to the left, until someone eventually would slow down on the left lane. This makes really dangerous sitation
    Say you are driving in a queue of cars at 50MPH on left lane on motorway, and decide to overtake. You check your mirrors, and seeing there nothing behind in lane you want to take, you change lane, just to find out there is two vehicles crawling straigh in front of you.

I would have said that had the motorway been busy then the best thing the truck could have done was to keep going. He was already doing only 40mph at the time; if he slows down further then he creates a hazard in two of the three lanes, rather than just one as it would have otherwise been.

In busy traffic the car being pulled over and the police would have just had to carry on until it was safe to pull over and slow down. This should not have required other road users to stop the traffic to accomodate them.
    Once again - undertaking on the motorway is dangerous, and even more dangerous is not slowing down to let slow vehicles come back from overtaking lane to the left side.

In this case the middle lane was empty; the car and police could have moved into the center while the truck went past on the left and there would have been zero danger to anyone involved.

Cars are permitted to remain in the outside lane until it is safe to merge back into the driving lane. There is nothing in law that states that the cars in the driving lane must alter their position or speed to accomodate a car merging back in from the overtaking lane.
    According to law he didn't as he undertook.
    According to common sence, there wasn't any danger as traffic was very low. He obviously shouldn't slam on the brakes, and it's hard to say from the video if there was a need for to slam on the brakes provided he wanted to avoid undertaking. Maybe he could avoid undertaking just slowing gradually.

Anyway - no one should undertake, and provided you can avoid undertaking without endangering cars behind by slamming on the brakes, you should.
    If there was a queue of cars on left lane, maybe if first few can't slow down that quick, than at least next few should.

I dont see passing a car that is about to stop or that is looking to pull in off the main carraigeway as undertaking. Perhaps our definitions differ.
    Are you really guys trying to say, that if there is a slowly moving vehicle on overtaking lane on the motorway for whatever reason, it's perfectly OK to keep going at contant speed on left (driving) lane and ignore the situation?

Yes, because by doing anything other than continuing on would have created an even more dangerous situation. In this instance, given that there was no traffic, and that the middle lane was empty, the truck driver took the best course of action to ensure that the situation passed safely. I really dont see how you can argue otherwise; that him slowing needlessly to dangerously low speeds on a motorway would have been the safer option.

• Advertisement

Inbox wrote: »
    Cinio likes to use his brakes alright, we all saw his video were he jammed on and came to a complete stop in a total over reaction and made a bad situation worse.

I relation to that situation ended as good as it could end up (at least for me).
    If I didn't slam on the brakes I would take part in head on collision.
    If I didn't nearly stop, other car would hit me (either back or side).

Advertisement