Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How safe is Hawkin Street?

Options
  • 04-10-2012 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭

I have been offered a property on Hawkin Street at a really good price to buy as a rental investment. However, as I don't know the city well, (and have only seen Hawkin Street on the internet) can anyone tell me if it is a safe area or does it have a bad name?

The house is terraced, so parking is on the street. I need to know if whenever there is rioting etc, is it anywhere nearby or if it has a bad name for drugs, fights, alcoholics etc? I would rather not buy something that I am going to have to keep repairing due to vandalism etc.

Honest replies greatly appreciated as if it is bad it will save me the embarrassment of meeting the owner and feigning interest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Will you be managing it yourself or doing it all via an estate agent? Hawkin Street is a pretty central location to the town. Parking outside would be an issue during the day as shoppers often park there. I think a few of the houses may be bordered up(owner not able to find a tenant/building needs refurbed etc.). The street wouldn't really have much problems with alcoholics/drugs, antisocial behaviour/vandalism would be the biggest worry but no moreso than you'd normally find so close to a town centre. Two things to ponder: at the very top of the street just before the archway under the walls there is a waste ground which holds the annual 12th July bonfire(huge thing usually drapped with lots of tricolours etc.), and also I think Hawkin Street is usually part of the parade route for the various Orange Order/ABOD marches so the tenant won't get much peace during those days with the parade music-potential rioting shouldn't be a concern there. Usually your potential tenants would be local enough and would know of this anyway. If you know your maths, and the sums add up/ you can afford gaps between tenancies then go for it if the property is sound. Presumably it'll be a young family/local worker that will be your market.

EDIT: Jack Allen Court, which is at the top of the street is I believe a shelter for recovering alcoholics? I could be wrong on that, but thought I'd add it in as well for full disclosure. Wouldn't really be known as a troubled facility though so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,007 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Its in the Fountain estate in Derry, or Londonderry as the residents would prefer to call it.

To be honest, Catholics from Derry will be unlikely to rent it off you, so you are limiting your market from the off.

Some images from your surroundings
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/gerryward/5442769265/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Thank you for taking the time to reply. You have both been really helpful and told me all that I needed to know. Much appreciated.

Advertisement