Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic G1... but with up to date toys

• 17-09-2012 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭

Mod: Moved from Masterpiece discussion

Okay so....I'm thinking about starting a G1 collection or rather a collection of G1 characters that you know would be in scale with one another, the animated characters from the 80's (not the bug bots nowadays) so been looking around the last few days whats my best bet do you guys reckon seen as ye seem to be fairly knowledgable?? My head is spinning from looking at all the diffrent types 3rd party, official diffrent scales bla bla my head is done in at this point

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

thats quite an expensive box right there i bet

Okay so....I'm thinking about starting a G1 collection or rather a collection of G1 characters that you know would be in scale with one another, the animated characters from the 80's (not the bug bots nowadays) so been looking around the last few days whats my best bet do you guys reckon seen as ye seem to be fairly knowledgable?? My head is spinning from looking at all the diffrent types 3rd party, official diffrent scales bla bla my head is done in at this point

You should start with the Classics/Generations/Henkei/Universe 2.0 (there's also some very G1 themed guys in the Hunt for the Decepticons and Reveal The Shield movie spinoffs, not to mention Titanium and Timelines) lines and work outward from there. There's a lot of G1 influenced figures there and they are for the most part in scale.

http://www.tfu.info/series/index.htm

Scroll down to where it says 'Pan-Generational'.

The best course of action, IMO, is to make a list of all the classic G1 characters that you want and have a look through the various versions of each (for some characters there are many) and pick out the best one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Okay and cheers for making the split there to a new topic okay so im gonna list who i'd list and i want you guys to give me you're opinions on whos the best figure for each if ya don't mind

Decepticons:
    Starscream+Seekers
    Galvatron+ Scourge+ Cyclonus
    Soundwave(rumble,Frenzy,lazerbeak)
    Shockwave
    Unicron(not sure if ill be able to afford the big one thats out there but ill leave him for now)
    Astrotrain
    Devastator (had this fella as a kid and loved him all 5 pieces i think
    Skywarp
    thundercracker

Autobots:
    Optimus Prime
    Ultra Magnus
    Hot Rod
    Kup
    Springer
    Arcee
    Perceptor
    Prowl
    Bumblebee
    wheeljack
    Grimlock+other dinobots
    Ratchet
    Ironhide
    Blaster

Non Transformers if there is any
    Sharkticons and Quentissons

Some amount there i know lol

Okay let me do my best....
    I'm sure others will weigh in with alternatives, but these are the ones I'd say closest match the cartoons while remaining more or less in scale with each other.

Starscream+Seekers:

Universe 2.0 Starscream:
    http://www.tfu.info/2009/Decepticon/TFUStarscream/starscream.htm

Classics Skywarp (came as part of a 2 pack with a bad 'Ultra Magnus' figure that was just an Optimus Prime repaint):
    http://www.tfu.info/2006/Decepticon/ClassicsSkywarp/skywarp.htm

Generations Thundercracker (there is a 'Botcon exclusive' one which is a lighter blue, more like the cartoon, but is bound to be very expensive):
    http://www.tfu.info/2011/Decepticon/Thundercracker/thundercracker.htm

Galvatron+ Scourge+ Cyclonus

Universe 2.0 Galvatron (There's 3rd party ones that are a closer match, but if you're trying to keep costs down he's not half bad):
    http://www.tfu.info/2008/Decepticon/TFUGalvatron/galvatron.htm

Scourge has two pretty good options. There's the Classics 2.0 one:
    http://www.tfu.info/2011/Decepticon/Scourge/scourge.htm
    and also the Titanium:
    http://www.tfu.info/2006/Decepticon/TitScourge/scourge.htm
    I prefer the Titanium myself due to the alternate mode being a closer match to the cartoon, although the Classics one's face is a better match..

Reveal The Shield Cyclonus:
    http://www.tfu.info/2011/Decepticon/RTSCyclonus/cyclonus.htm

Soundwave(rumble,Frenzy,lazerbeak)

This one is great, but expensive (it is actually an MP3 player as well as a fully functioning toy!):
    http://www.tfu.info/2007/Destron/MLBlueSoundwave/soundwave.htm

Not everyone likes him, but I quite like Titanium Soundwave (despite his massive crotch). He also comes with a fairly decent Laserbeak tape.:
    http://www.tfu.info/2007/Decepticon/TitSoundwave/soundwave.htm

Generations Soundwave is another good shout, although has a Cybertronian alt mode and comes with no tapes:
    http://www.tfu.info/2010/Decepticon/GenerationsSoundwave/soundwave.htm

In terms of tapes, there are lots of 3rd party ones out there. I'm not too familiar with them though. That said, Universe 2.0 Hound comes with a nice Ravage tape:
    http://www.tfu.info/2009/Autobot/TFUHound/hound.htm

Shockwave

Generations Shockwave is probably the best out there:
    http://www.tfu.info/2012/Decepticon/GenShockwave/shockwave.htm

Astrotrain

Henkei Astrotrain (2nd one down on this page):
    http://www.tfu.info/2006/Decepticon/ClassicsAstrotrain/astrotrain.htm

Devastator

There have been lots of green combiner types and construction vehicles based off the old Devastator, but if you want a proper one with 6 proper looking robos that combine properly you'll need to go third party. Again though, I'm no expert in relation to 3rd party stuff.

I'm sleepy. I'll get back to you in relation to Autobots another time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

First up: Beware of Henkei Knock Offs....Universe Starscream has been knocked off too.

Unicron

Armada, TRU or Takara 2010.

The first one is common enough to the point you may find one on Adverts, carboot sale, etc.

Seekers:

If you want uniformity, then Henkei versions of all three.
    (Henkei) Skywarp, and more so Thundercracker, have pronounced QC problems.

Galvatron, Scourge, Cyclonus.

Universe Galvatron is hatred by many. Some have bought Energon Galvatron as a stop gap. Some have modified WFC Megatron. There aren't any 3rd party Galvatrons yet.

Cyclonus: Henkei, Reveal the shield, or Universe. the RTS one ma have plastic issues.

Scourge: Generations one is generally seen as eclipsing the Tittanium one. 3rd party Targetmaster accessories exist.

There's also a Botcon scourge, which is serviceable.

Soundwave:

Already mostly covered, but there's a Voyager version of the WFC design being released at the end of the year (no, probably not here)

There's also Sonicron.... generally seen as floppy, and with not great quality plastic.

Frenzy, Rubmle,

Perfect effect made some vaguely rumble. frenzyish toys, but they're basically Targetmasters.

There's also United Frenzy and Rumble.

No 3rd party has really done the Condors. BTS toys made a version of Frenzy and Rumble, and Ravage and Ratbat.

Mixed resposnes.

Shockwave

Some shoehorn in Energon Shockwave

Astrotrain:

See previous.

Devastator:

TFC Hercules or Maketoys (green) Giant.

http://www.capturedprey.com/store/browsebycompany/co_tfctoys/tfc_toys_hercules_set

http://www.kapowtoys.co.uk/maketoys-giant-green-version-giftset-p-5599.html?osCsid=8e8uua88rd39bjp9k1ear7dju1

Some people bought the Energon version repainted in green.

Optimus:

Henkei, or Classics. There was a third party version from ToyWorld, supposedly based on the IDW version (?) supposed to be forthcoming. Nobody has actually seen it.

Ultra Magnus

Classics Ultra Magnus, or the forthcoming Henkei version.
    City Commander may also be a consideration, it's been knocked off.
    There's also a repaint of FOC Optimus with a new head due in a couple of months.

Hot Rod
    Classics, RTS, Henkei or United. RTS one has plastic issues it seems.

Kup

Generations? I kinda think i'm forgetting one here.

Springer:

Warbot Defender is probably widely considered the best choice.
    Otherwise there's Universe Springer (Cybertron Blades repaint)
    Botcon Springer (Cybertron Defense HotShot Repaint) or GDO Springer (Tomahawk repaint)

Arcee.

Hasbro haven't really done this thing properly. You could shoehorn in the Energon or Superlink version, but it's motorbike. So are a few of the third party ones.

Delicate Warrior, i think, is more G1, but as you can probably tell by the name third party, and not sure how well made.

Perceptor

RTS or United is about your only option. Personally, i hate the mold.

Prowl:

Henkei or Classics: Classics one has sticky paint issues in some cases.

Bumblebee

Classics, Henkei, RTS or United.

RTS shows mold degradation i think. United might also...since produced about the same time.

Wheeljack.

Generations or United.

Dinobots.

Grimlock, Henkei or Classics, or FOC which is about 5 months away.

No 3rd party versions.

Other Dinobots.... there isn't anything really. Some shoehorn Animated toys. Which reeks of desperation, imo.

Ironhide:

Henkei or Classics. Henkei over Classics for better deco, but mold is fundamentally flawed.

Some are probably going to shoehorn the forthcoming Arms Micron Ironhide... unknown if that will have a Hasbro version.

Some use the Botcon version.

Also see: igears PP05w.

Ratchet:

Henkei or Classics: Hasbro version is kind of scarce. Same basic problems with flawed mold as Irohnide.

also see: Botcon version, and PP05M

Blaster:

There's a repaint of Cybertron Soundwave, which is fairly awful.

Also see: Device Label Blaster... if you can put up with a Laptop.

Sharkticons, Quintessons.
    .. 3rd part offerings exist, can't remember manufacturer names.

Some people use Energon Sharkticons, it's not a lot more than a random name reuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭DBK

Dinobots.

All the G1 Dinobots have been KO'ed too. Heard the quality is ok. Slag a bit loose. Just something to watch out for if you're collecting G1s

Sharkticons, Quintessons.
    .. 3rd part offerings exist, can't remember manufacturer names.
    Some people use Energon Sharkticons, it's not a lot more than a random name reuse.

Impossible Toys I think did this series. TRNS series or something.

If you're looking for an Ultra Magnus that looks more like the cartoon (ie: not a white Optimus Prime) the Titanium might be worth a punt. It's not the greatest toy (plus a little small - the same size as a deluxe toy), but there's not a whole lot else out there:
    http://www.tfu.info/2007/Autobot/TitUltraMagnus/ultramagnus.htm

I never get why they never did a proper verison of him, :( a good character and thanks everyone for there massive help went into shops today in and around limerick and feic all that generations shockwave is tiny , They definitly got smaller from the RTS last year that were out

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I never get why they never did a proper verison of him, :( a good character and thanks everyone for there massive help went into shops today in and around limerick and feic all that generations shockwave is tiny , They definitly got smaller from the RTS last year that were out

Ah I'm from Limerick too, Smyths on the Childers Road is good for the newer stuff.

Yeah was in there this evening , didn't see much that impressed me really, was delighted when i heard Shockwave was coming out but saw him today , and not at all impressed :( will be going out to the Ennis road one 2moro they had a leader Sentinel Prime for 20 quid last week had no money on me though pray he's stil there cos for 20 quid you can't go wrong

• Advertisement

If you ever make it down to Dublin drop into Dublin City Comics & collectibles on Bolton St. They've got Classics/Universe/generations up the wazoo! Plenty of pre-owned stuff included, which is handy if you fancy dome 'in hand' action.

I forgot to say earlier. There is a Quintesson figure, but it's not a whole lot like the ones in the cartoon (he only has 3 faces):
    http://www.tfu.info/2005/Decepticon/AlphaQuintesson/alphaquintesson.htm

I never get why they never did a proper verison of him, :( a good character

Mp20.

I have been in DC Comics a few times and I found them quite expensive if i'm honest i was hunting Marvel Legends at the time did find a nice few 2nd hand as you say on the cheap i was also oogling MP Megatron which they had up at over 100 plus though i just didn't have the money at the time ,. Really nice fellas up there though i must say

They can be quite dear for figures (such are the hazards of having to import nearly everything from off-continent and in much smaller number than a large toy store). Personally I didn't mind paying a few extra quid back when I was collecting) to save the hassle.

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Mp20.

He's not so much Ultra Magnus as he is Arctic Expedition Optimus Prime.

I do like that version of him aswell , Like I know its a repaint more or less but it so doens't look like Prime if ya get me :)

Eh, i guess there is a distinction between toy and character.... if MP20 is a well-ish executed toy, i'll be perfectly happy.

was also oogling MP Megatron which they had up at over 100 plus though i just didn't have the money at the time ,. Really nice fellas up there though i must say

165 i think. It effectively doesn't exist below 125.00 these days.... the reissue last year was maybe $140 local in Asia anyway.

DCCs prices vary on boxed items, some items he does underprice based on going rates.

I'd go as far as saying his prices on loose TFs are often fair to low....and sometimes almost implausibly low.

Can't comment on any other lines.

What about one of those Kabaya Fortress Maximus jobbies? Picked one up and think they're great. Fits in like the Marvel version of him. And a fair bit cheaper than the G1 version.

Anyone looking for a good Bruticus; Dublin City Comics have the Combaticons (arrived this morning):
    524896_409739329080581_10089995_n.jpg

Anyone looking for a BETTER Bruticus, both Colossus and Bruticus Maximus are being reissued in more G1 Colours.

: p

• Advertisement

is that wave 2 of FOC are they gonna be in smyths and such ?

is that wave 2 of FOC are they gonna be in smyths and such ?

They were imported.

Hasbro UK said they would offer them...but their word means nothing, and it doesn't mean Smyths will order them.

BUILD GIANT ROBOT.

I better moan at Smyths on there Facebook page seems to work for the WWE stuff lol

I better moan at Smyths on there Facebook page seems to work for the WWE stuff lol

Can't hurt.

But Hasbro UK do keep pulling the rug out from under retailers.

Perhaps that's because they in turn have the rug pulled out from under them, by Hasbro INC, or the factory.

have started looking for Henkeis and my god the prices of them :( I now want Iron Hide, Ratchet and Prowl they look the business is there anywhere other than ebay

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Anyone looking for a BETTER Bruticus, both Colossus and Bruticus Maximus are being reissued in more G1 Colours.

: p

Which one's colossus, the ad on kit? That's seriously awesome.

xfire-bruticus-colossus-164.jpg

Not a huge fan of the 'Maximus combiners from the Energon line. they're nice n' all, but the duplicate limbs annoy me.

Pretty cool option for anyone wanting a 'Classics Broadside'

poster_1349785287.jpg

Being honest never even heard of Broadside :O ,

By the way ticked Shockwave, Ironhide and Thundercracker off my G1 list

Went with FOC Shockwave, Classics Ironhide and generations TC

• Advertisement

Being honest never even heard of Broadside :O ,

He wasn't a big player in the cartoon. Had a few cameos in season 3, but never his own storyline IIRC.

Advertisement