Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic aerial for limerick city

Options
  • 01-10-2012 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all
    With the recession on and all that i'm getting out the upc and looking to install saorview, i'm looking to get an attic aerial for woodcock hill, i'm living in castletroy in limerick not far from groody bar. Can anyone help me, will it be worth my while getting an aerial for attic or would the signal be too weak? if not which aerial is recommended?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

Hi all
    With the recession on and all that i'm getting out the upc and looking to install saorview, i'm looking to get an attic aerial for woodcock hill, i'm living in castletroy in limerick not far from groody bar. Can anyone help me, will it be worth my while getting an aerial for attic or would the signal be too weak? if not which aerial is recommended?

Woodcock hill would be a yellow tipped aerial. Always better to use outdoor aerial, lose a lot of the signal by using in attic. If your signal is good though, you'll probbaly be ok. If you're friendly with the neighbours, ask around and see what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I am living outside the city on the Tipperary side. I have an aerial inside the attic facing Woodcock Hill. I have perfect Saorview reception there. I have a med size Aeriel.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I'd guess the attic aerial should be good enough, I'm sure you can see Woodcock Hill from the Groody roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For what it's worth, the distance from the Groody pub to Woodcock Hill is 9.9 kms, bearing 310 degrees true, 315 magnetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paddyirish28

ok thanks everyone, yes if i could i'd sooner use an outdoor aerial but in a semi d and the house next to me so close the only place i could get an outdoor aerial with clear view is at the apex of the roof, the only place i cant get near, so the attic seems to be the next best thing, would i be better off using a wide band frequency aerial or any ideas on the best for using in attic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

would i be better off using a wide band frequency aerial or any ideas on the best for using in attic?

Woodcock Hill uses Group B frequencies so use a Group B aerial, no point using a Wideband aerial.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 paddyirish28

Hi again,
    Thanks all i've picked up the B band and its all set up and can get perfect signal in the top floor, just one prob as when i try get the signal down to the living room it's poor. Can anyone suggest a good amp to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Use decent cable. Should be no need for an amp for that distance.

Satellite type double screened cable.

A simple 4 way distribution amp in attic likely enough gain and lets you expand to bedroom etc.

Make sure no kinks or sharp bends as that damages cable permanently and dramatically reduces signal.

Advertisement