Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looper *SPOILERS FROM POST 137*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I'm really liking the look of this, but I'm trying to see past the make-up on JGL but can't! :o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Possibly the best title for a film for Irish audiences.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

A lot of people will be dissappointed when they realise it's not about that mad yoke they went to school with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Corkfeen wrote: »
    extremely unique sci-fi that is of the standard of the greats.
    It's not. Enjoyable enough but also wholly derivative and not as adventurous as it could have been.

I came away slightly disappointed only because I wanted something great. It's not quite up there with Moon or Inception for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The sequel will be called Fecker.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Saw this tonight and thought it was very good, decent performances from JGL and Bruce.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Despite a few bits that didn't work for me (namely the CGI work on JGL), overall a very good film and one I look forward to seeing again. Damn it's going to be tough to pick a top ten film list this year. Probably the best year of cinema since... I'm not sure???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

There was no CGI work done on JGL, he wore a prosthetic nose and the rest was hours of makeup done every day before filming by Kazuhiro Suji.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

e_e wrote: »
    The sequel will be called Fecker.

No, it will be called Langer and they have hired Eddie Hobbs and Dan Boyle to write it. That would be the former TD and not the actual film director of the same name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Quick question:

If they person is killed in the past, what happens to their body in the future? Assuming the future is happening at the same time as the past..or is it? Makes sense in my head that it is! :) Is it a dimensional thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I really enjoyed this movie - some great moments and great performances by JGL, Bruce and Jeff Daniels!

Would happily see it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I Am Kong! wrote: »
    Quick question:

If they person is killed in the past, what happens to their body in the future? Assuming the future is happening at the same time as the past..or is it? Makes sense in my head that it is! :) Is it a dimensional thing?
    Nothing happens? i.e. Their (alive) body is still in the future all the way up to the point in time where they are transported to the past, non?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Vokes wrote: »
    Nothing happens? i.e. Their (alive) body is still in the future all the way up to the point in time where they are transported to the past, non?

Thats what I thought too... they just disappear without leaving a trace. No body to find by the cops so they're just presumed missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Hurricane Carter

Vokes wrote: »

Ah.

I keep thinking that even though he's transported back to the past (present say, from then to now), even though he's here, is the future still not happening elsewhere with him in it at the same time, given....ah my head hurts!!! :D

Edit: Forget it, I'm thinking about it as if everything is still happening everywhere in another dimension at the same time as now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

The movie has received excellent reviews so far! Have to say, I'm looking forward to it.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/looper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

The thing I can't get is when Willis is beamed back to the past, would he not have the memories of seeing himself being beamed back from his younger days and essentially be just be living through it again as his older self....my nose is starting to bleed, guess I've gone too many dreams/layers in. Looks good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

this year's matrix :p saw that as a tag line on some tv spot for it

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

this year's matrix :p saw that as a tag line on some tv spot for it

Do people still know about the Matrix? The last film came out almost a decade ago now :) and judging by the response to the sequels, probably best not to make the comparisons!

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

The thing I can't get is when Willis is beamed back to the past, would he not have the memories of seeing himself being beamed back from his younger days and essentially be just be living through it again as his older self....my nose is starting to bleed, guess I've gone too many dreams/layers in. Looks good though.

I remember there was a website somewhere which explained this very well and I will have a look for it, but
    the older Bruce Willis has to die
    in order for the time travel bit to work, otherwise there is a paradox.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Do people still know about the Matrix? The last film came out almost a decade ago now :) and judging by the response to the sequels, probably best not to make the comparisons!

Just because the sequels were rubbish doesn't detract from how good the original was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,284 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

people, can we at least wait until we see the movie, then we can pick holes at the time travel!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Thoroughly enjoyed this - a smart slice of superior entertainment. This isn't exactly Primer in its complexity (although Shane Carruth does get a special thanks ;)), but it manages to build a very engaging thriller around a well-realised central concept. For me its three for three with Johnson now - a consistent purveyor of distinctive and interesting genre films, that both embrace and subvert tradition.

While elements of the plot may be familiar, it actually manages to impressively reinvigorate some of them
    (particularly the superpowered kid, who enjoys several of the film's most excellent setpieces).
    There's some great directorial moments - absolutely love the opening - and the film builds a convincing futuristic world. Background details - from the social inequality to the vehicles - enhance the world without the need for endless exposition. While there's obviously much explaining to be done concerning the central mind-bending concepts, the near future realised by Johnson is an endearingly bleak and grounded place, and a strong sci-fi setting.

The film does take on an unusually considered pace during the second act: some bits in the farmhouse felt like they could use more energy. But at the same time there are few wasted scenes
    (I enjoyed how TK initially seemed like a throwaway detail, but became a vital plot point later on)
    and the film's strange pacing allows Johnson to convincingly establish character motivations and relationships. The conflicts are consistently dramatically engaging and ethically curious. Performances are good, although didn't recognise Emily Blunt at all! Knew she looked familiar, but was surprised when the end credits rolled and her name popped up!

All in all, great fun. While its original concepts are backed-up by an occasionally familiar narrative, this is a strong mix of the traditional and the new. The script has a strong and potentially confusing central idea, but realises it in a wholly accessible and entertaining way. It also has a great ending -
    satisfyingly resolving potential paradoxes while not condescendingly wrapping every single loose end.

Also, Dun Laoghaire cinema has a glorious 35mm print of this, and it's showing in the well-sized screen one. I highly recommend making the trip if it's within reasonable travelling distance - there's something distinctively cinematic about the cinematography of the film, and was delighted to see it in its original format.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Haven't seen this yet but looking forward to it. Joseph Gordon-Levitt has been truly excellent in all his films in the last 3/4 years so I expect nothing less from him in Looper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Just seen it. Great movie. Time travel is one of those concepts in movies I love and this felt new yet familiar.

I have a question about the ending though:
    was the final moment with joe lying dead and Sarah stroking his hair implying he was her son?

I'm fine with that as a plot point, but slightly repulsed by how she got it on with him too. Seems like it was a good choice to kill himself if he would have ever found that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I liked it, kept me fairly engaged although the pacing is somewhat ponderous; the film could benefit from at least 15 minutes of so or cuts - fair bit of restlessness among the - fairly geeky and almost full - audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

CMpunked wrote: »
    Just seen it. Great movie. Time travel is one of those concepts in movies I love and this felt new yet familiar.

was the final moment with joe lying dead and Sarah stroking his hair implying he was her son?

I'm fine with that as a plot point, but slightly repulsed by how she got it on with him too. Seems like it was a good choice to kill himself if he would have ever found that out.

No.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Don't think that interpretation was intended at all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Don't think that interpretation was intended at all :pac:

Really? Aw. I thought how she
    was rubbing his hair and how he said earlier to the stripper/hooker; "When i was a boy my mom would run her hands through my hair like this".
    The person i went with somewhat agreed how Joe didnt know his upbringing other than being given up a little older than the kid.

Really? Aw. I thought how she
    was rubbing his hair and how he said earlier to the stripper/hooker; "When i was a boy my mom would run her hands through my hair like this".
    The person i went with somewhat agreed how Joe didnt know his upbringing other than being given up a little older than the kid.

I can actually see how you came to the conclusion, but it would be a completely nonsensical resolution. Even within Looper's world, it doesn't make a lick of sense for
    Joe to have sex with someone and the resulting offspring to be Joe
    :pac: Or if you mean
    a different father
    , it would wreak complete havoc with the timeline - the amount of time travelling necessary to get everyone back to 2044 for no particular reason would be farcical. No, I think the examples you cited are just some of the events that led
    Joe to realise that he had to keep mother and child together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Loved it, like people have said it could with being 10-15 mins shorter the scenes
    on the farm dragged a little bit
    but they were necessary to set up the ending.

One thing I will say though, that kid gives an incredible performance in it, he stole the film. That scene where
    he starts to Hulk up and the mother makes a run for the safe was excellent, came out of nowhere as well.

Also why do we see
    Bruce Willis going back twice? the first time he appears, turns gets blasted in the back and then lobs the gold at JGL and knocks him out, pov shot, we later see that exact same scene from a different wide cut, but then there's the short scene where Willis appears and he shoots him, I didnt really get it

Advertisement