Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riot at FoxConn Factory

• 24-09-2012 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/23/foxconn-taiyuan-riot/

I thought these factories were full to the brim of people who were delighted to get a job and queued up for days hoping for vacancies, or at least thats what people who buy iProducts keep telling themselves. All to make the disposable shoite spoilt children over here get for christmas to play silly games on, do facebooking and show off to their friends.

Another time they woke up a few thousand workers in the middle of the night to adjust the machines because some fool in California made a last minute change to the design.

I'm surprised there are no Fairtrade Organic phones available yet because if there were all the hipsters would have to buy them regardless of cost. If someone got a beating like this at their place of work in Ireland there would be massive outrage and self-loathing but these Chinese commie savages just have no shame at all, even trying to censor it after it got reported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

If they fight as hard as they work it must have been some scrap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm picturing the scene out of the Big Boss with the giant ice cubes....

You think all of the other manufacturers pay their workers in BMWs and give then twenty hour work weeks?

iHipsters love to iHate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

idon't care

see what i did there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Some facts for the uninformed OP:

Every tech company you can think of has manufacturing at Foxconn - Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Acer, Cisco, Dell, Nokia, Intel. Not just Apple, but headlines usually begin with Apple because people will read the articles if they do.

Who makes your phone? I bet they have staff working on it at Foxconn right now.

As for the work at Foxconn, employees had their salaries doubled a few months ago and the monthly salary is nearly twice the Chinese average industrial wage http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/05/28/apples-foxconn-to-double-wages-again/

As for why there are no 'Fairtrade Organic phones' available yet, that's because no-one in their right minds would charge into a loss-making business venture in the fastest moving, most competitive industry in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

seamus wrote: »
    You think all of the other manufacturers pay their workers in BMWs and give then twenty hour work weeks?

iHipsters love to iHate.

Thinly veiled "I was hatin before it was cool" post. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I'd say the workers are peed off with their 5 dollars a month salary! meantime Apple wonder what will they do with the 98 billion dollars they have in cash sitting a bank :(

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

I'll only buy free-range iPhones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

seamus wrote: »

iHipsters love to iHate.

I'd hope not, ould BMW used to be a fancy car, now its something iPhone-toting office workers with a house in the Burbs buy to save on car tax..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

IPhone manufacturers.

Great bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

As for why there are no 'Fairtrade Organic phones' available yet, that's because no-one in their right minds would charge into a loss-making business venture in the fastest moving, most competitive industry in the world.

Me spots a gap in the market !! Lets pool our money lads and build ourselves an techmological company !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

The poor Chinese .......with all these high end branded westernised goods.

Your naiviety is laughable OP.
    vicwatson wrote: »
    I'd say the workers are peed off with their 5 dollars a month salary! meantime Apple wonder what will they do with the 98 billion dollars they have in cash sitting a bank

They'll probably move and invest it in a Chinese bank where they'll get a better return. I mean who can afford to buy Apple products these days?

...oh yeah, the Chinese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

No one cares.

They are poor and foreign. They should be grateful to have a job and take pride in the fact their work enables us to have twenty different weather forecasts on our phones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Scioch wrote: »
    Thinly veiled "I was hatin before it was cool" post. :rolleyes:

I love these 'thinly veiled' posts.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Major customers of Foxconn currently include:
    Acer Inc. (Taiwan)[41]
    Amazon.com (United States)[7]
    Apple Inc. (United States)[42]
    Cisco (United States)[43]
    Dell (United States)[44]
    Hewlett-Packard (United States)[45]
    Intel (United States)[46]
    Microsoft (United States)[9]
    Motorola Mobility (United States)[44]
    Nintendo (Japan)[47]
    Nokia (Finland)[42]
    Sony (Japan)[8]
    Toshiba (Japan) [48]
    Vizio (United States)[49]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn

So the apple bashing is a bit off as pretty much, if you are using a computer, it probably came from foxconn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

Every tech company you can think of has manufacturing at Foxconn - Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Acer, Cisco, Dell, Nokia, Intel. Not just Apple, but headlines usually begin with Apple because people will read the articles if they do.

As for the work at Foxconn, employees had their salaries doubled a few months ago and the monthly salary is nearly twice the Chinese average industrial wage http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2012/05/28/apples-foxconn-to-double-wages-again/

FoxConn have seen their wages double every two years. Thats where your pay rises are going, by the way.

In any case you are assuming that the OP is an honest poster and is actually concerned about conditions in a plant which may, or may not be, producing Apple goods, but is certainly producing something he owns. He isn't. Its been pointed out on these boards and every other board in the country, and every other news outlet, time and time again whenever anything happens at FoxConn, that the company - which has a million employees - produces for every electronic manufacturer, not just Apple. If you wanted to see this story die, and the concern for the Chinese employees dissipate, then Apple just need to move to another company, and FoxConn can start flaying their employees alive to provide the skins for the cheap Dells, and HTC devices which the OP probably buys.

The proof of the pie is in the eating, Apple didn't sell very much in Ireland when it was a major manufacturing presence in Cork, with good wages and great conditions. The "concerned for Apple employees" loonies were buying their Acer built by Foxconn, and they had a different reason to hate Apple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

the apple bashing is a bit off as pretty much, if you are using a computer, it probably came from foxconn.
    The fact that the op called Foxconn "the iproduct factory" shows how much interest he has in being on or off the mark..

I had a quick run around the gaff there and there's not one item with a plug that wasn't made in china..

Does that mean i've to feel guilty every time i use my Fleshlight Turbo?

I think not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Some just found out Steve Jobs died & didn't resurrect.

It was a lieeeeeee...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Foxconn isn't even a Chinese company ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Foxconn isn't even a Chinese company ffs!

The Chinese government might not agree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

As for the work at Foxconn, employees had their salaries doubled a few months ago and the monthly salary is nearly twice the Chinese average industrial wage

You should read the articles you quote properly.
    Foxconn will double the minimum monthly salary of its workers in mainland China by the end of next year*

Also, there were other Foxcon riots because of wage promises being withheld - promises promises.

Also, it should be noted that salary increases promised are due to a shortage of labour rather than employer benevolence or worker agitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

juan.kerr wrote: »
    The Chinese government might not agree.

Some Dutch and Japanese may not either, but there you go!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Foxconn isn't even a Chinese company f foxsake!

fixed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

I remember there was riots outside Chinese Apple stores a while back when some new Apple product went on sale.

Apple didn't have enough product to meet demand on the day and a great bunch of lads went cracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

Stories with riot videos never ever live up to expectations.

any minute now there'll be loads of clearly filmed individual fights with k.o's and counters and takedowns......but nae....just a load of shouting, some running and a siren.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

They are having mass brawls because they have no other alternative since they signed contracts not to commit suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Not loss making, but less profit. For instance, they were making a huge profit on the iphone when it was made in USA. Production is moved to china not because it's making a loss, it's because they make bigger profit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Great the chinese people have finally throw off the flithy capitalist yoke of tryranny now they can start a workers rebublic ......oh wait hasn't that already supposed to have happened?