Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Dublin - "3 hours maximum"

Options
  • 18-09-2012 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭

When using on-street parking, what does this limit officially mean? As in, is the intent that you should move from the space after 3 hours and not return, or is it some arbitrary awkwardness imposed upon those who are attempting to pay.

I ask because I'm parked on a street today that makes no mention of a 3 hour maximum, except on the pay machine, and while I use a Parking Tag and the SMS system, I still can't pay beyond 180 minutes. Yet here, there is no stated intention to make you move from the spot.

Why is this a thing?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

MJohnston wrote: »
    When using on-street parking, what does this limit officially mean? As in, is the intent that you should move from the space after 3 hours and not return, or is it some arbitrary awkwardness imposed upon those who are attempting to pay.

I ask because I'm parked on a street today that makes no mention of a 3 hour maximum, except on the pay machine, and while I use a Parking Tag and the SMS system, I still can't pay beyond 180 minutes. Yet here, there is no stated intention to make you move from the spot.

Why is this a thing?

You should not park longer than three hours.

You may be clamped if you park in such a spot for over three hours.

It's designed to keep parking free for shoppers or others who need access to businesses or services like hospitals. Or another way of looking at it: It's designed to stop workers, residents or others who want to use a parking space for half the working day or more.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its unlikely, but possible and does occasionally occur, that you'll be clamped if you replace the ticket with another after 3 hours.

The intent is as monument says, to ensure spaces are free for shorter-term use. There should be long-term parking available nearby but there isn't always - the south city is particularly bad for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Load of crap TBH, some dinner and a 2hr movie inc wait times and in some places your 3hrs are up before you know it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Most people wouldnt be doing that before 4pm though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

That reasoning (whilst I totally agree you're probably right on it) doesn't really make much sense to me because everyone has to pay the same charges! But as a separate point, there really is absolutely nothing on this street (Benson Street) to indicate a 3 hour maximum - if you're using Parking Tag, there is no reason to look at the parking metre, is it an implicit rule (like unmarked bus lanes being 24 hour)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

MJohnston wrote: »
    (like unmarked bus lanes being 24 hour)?

OT, but if a bus lane doesn't have a blue sign stating the hours, then technically anyone can drive in it.

Edit: I have been misled, it turns out no sign=24hr

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

mmcn90 wrote: »
    OT, but if a bus lane doesn't have a blue sign stating the hours, then technically anyone can drive in it.

Generally if there is a sign but no times / time plate = 24 hours operational for bus lanes, cycle lanes, loading etc. Time plates are however good for clarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

monument wrote: »
    Generally if there is a sign but no times / time plate = 24 hours operational for bus lanes, cycle lanes, loading etc. Time plates are however good for clarity.

Yep, you are right, I thought no sign = no legal bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

MYOB wrote: »
    Its unlikely, but possible and does occasionally occur, that you'll be clamped if you replace the ticket with another after 3 hours.

I really don't think that's the case any more.

Text parking has reminders that your 3 hours are up and prompts you to renew your parking. The 3 hour maximum is purely an inconvenience thing to discourage you from longer parking.

Anyway solution is use text parking.

Advertisement