Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pimp Your Society/Club - The One And Only Thread!

• 09-09-2012 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭

GAH THIS IS MY FIRST THREAD AS MOD!!!!!!!! (credit to Seren for idea)

So folks, this is our only NUIM Society (and by extension clubs) thread where you boardsies will be able to post about the various NUIM clubs and socs so as to let our firsties know what type of ones they might want to join. Members can post how they found their particular soc to be like, what kind of events and such took place etc.

Firsties, feel free to ask questions, a lot of the Society presidents are on boards and i'm sure they will only be too happy to answer your questions (if no one else does) and plug their socs.

List of clubs.
    List of societies.

Also this is the only (and we do mean this) thread where Soc Accounts can post. Any post/thread by a Soc account outside of this thread will be locked/deleted and the account banned
    And as usual, regular charter rules apply.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

NUIM FemSoc

Facebook
    Twitter

Feminism is defined as “the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men”. NUIM FemSoc was set up in 2012 to help raise awareness of women’s issues on campus, in Ireland and internationally. Events held by the society so far include a Wonderful Wall of Women’s Achievements and a library exhibition showcasing the work of NUIM’s female academics for International Women’s Day, and a very successful screening of the documentary Miss Representation.

Events planned for 2012/13 so far include talks, information sessions, film screenings and a monthly book club. We will also be campaigning for a Gender Equality Officer position to be included on the Maynooth SU exec.

If you would like any more info or are interested in getting involved with the society, email us on femsocnuim@gmail.com or contact us via Facebook/Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

I train with the Judo club. Great for getting fit, learning self defence or anyone wanting to be a competitive Judoka/Grappler. All done in a friendly atmosphere where everyones trying to help each other improve their game.

We are active on the competitive circuit with intervarsities and judo opens, as well as Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Submission Wrestling tournaments, which we had great success in last year. Also a few social nights to be had :cool:

We have a great coach with loads of experience, equipments provided and the first class is free so come down and give it a go.

I'll be on the stall most of the time on clubs and socs day so if anyone has any Q's feel free to ask me then, email nuimjudo@gmail.com or just message me on boards whenever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Let me think for a while, it's late and I'm dumb.

We shoot arrows at stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

When do we get to join these? :3

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Seeing as I gotta be all impartial and stuff, if anyone needs help finding info on any clubs or societies or even wants to start their own, send me an auld email to vpcsud@nuimsu.com

• Advertisement

marko93 wrote: »
    When do we get to join these? :3

At Clubs and socs day. It's on the 26th Sept. I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭westdub15

kickboxing club, were deadly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

westdub15 wrote: »
    kickboxing club, were deadly!
    if you were deadly...what are you now

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

I think I shall plug....... Veggie Soc :D Everyone's welcome, you don't even have to be vegetarian. Or vegan. Or pescitarian. Or any other ____arian.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Leptons

jpcarlow wrote: »
    if you were deadly...what are you now

Damn! I had one funny thought today and I come to see someone else has already had it.

Anyway, to the point. I am heading into my second year and I'm looking to become more active with regards to clubs/societies. I joined a few in first year, but never really got involved in them. Any reccomendations as to what I should join?

Also a few of the clubs/societies appear to be defunct or didn't really advertise themselves last year. Anyone know the situation with that?

@Seren_

The film screenings sound interesting. There was a documentary one about Women in the media or something that I wanted to see last year but wasn't able to (Rachel Maddow FTW!).

• Advertisement

Depends what your into really. A club to give you exercise as well as a society that you have a genuine interest in is a good mix.

Good point, Jonah.

Well, I'd say on the club side of things that I've never really been into competitive sports, unless there's a tennis club hidden somewhere. (Though I'm rather terrible and haven't played in years. :o) I did athletics for a few years, focusing on sprinting, but haven't kept it up much.

With societies, I've honestly no idea. Is there any that people would like to tout?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

Yoga Soc runs classes for all levels-from complete beginner to experienced yogis. Classes are run during the afternoons and evenings, depending on demand. We have professional yoga instructors in to teach classes, and they do a variety of types of yoga.

Yoga is a really good way to increase your flexibility and tone muscles, while not being competitive!

Last year, Yoga Society put on several events, such as free taster classes and movie and pizza nights.

Feel free to ask any questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

plumpote wrote: »
    Yoga Soc runs classes for all levels-from complete beginner to experienced yogis. Classes are run during the afternoons and evenings, depending on demand. We have professional yoga instructors in to teach classes, and they do a variety of types of yoga.

Yoga is a really good way to increase your flexibility and tone muscles, while not being competitive!

Last year, Yoga Society put on several events, such as free taster classes and movie and pizza nights.

Feel free to ask any questions!

How much do the classes cost ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭plumpote

aaabbbb wrote: »
    How much do the classes cost ? :)

It cost €20 per semester last year, and you could go to as many classes as you liked. Prices for this year haven't been confirmed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 the fat guy from jake and the fat man

hey guys trying to set up a chess club at the moment,

if anyone is interested our facebook page is hear or if you want to help out u can email nuimchessclub@gmail.com

Cool, good luck with it!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Hey guys,

I am just in the process of setting up a social society to organise some alcohol free events for those who don't drink or don't feel like a night of getting drunk. Hopefully by next week I can give you more info but if anyone is interested in joining or helping me set it up please give me a PM!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'm looking to start a motorsport soc soon so if anyone is interested this is the place to get involved. All help, suggestions and ideas are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Hi Guys,

I'm the P.R.O for the Nuim flag football society, and we will be looking for new members on fairs day! Flag Football is basically the tag rugby equivalent of American Football. Its a great way to keep fit, make friends and learn about the game of American Football from our knowledgeable members.

If you have an interest in the NFL, or are looking for something a bit different to the usual sports then you should join up! We are an active society, along with weekly training sessions, we will also organise and take part in tournaments, not just on campus but throughout the country. Last year we hosted a very successful tournament in Maynooth , had a trip to UCC and played a charity tournament in UCD. We also rented out the local Creative Arts Centre and screened the Superbowl. On top of we are also investigating the possibility of hosting madden tournaments and social events throughout the year.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me, find us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/maynoothflagfootball or look out for us on fairs day.

• Advertisement

A few of us are planning on setting up a Pro-Choice soc. If you're interested in getting involved let me know! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stevonicus

Seren_ wrote: »
    A few of us are planning on setting up a Pro-Choice soc. If you're interested in getting involved let me know! :)

I'm happy to contribute my student number to any statement of interests or whatever you need to set up the soc.

Stevonicus wrote: »
    I'm happy to contribute my student number to any statement of interests or whatever you need to set up the soc.

Ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stevonicus

Omega Soc are Maynooth's resident Sci-Fi, Fantasy and Anime society. We host weekly film and television screenings on Mondays in the Arts Block. We also have occasional marathon weekends. In February we will be hosting our annual convention Epiccon which will have numerous special guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Iznat

I'll volunteer my info for this soc to get it started :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Stevonicus wrote: »

As am I :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Maynooth Ultimate Frisbee Club

Winner of Most Improved Club of 2012, Maynooth Ultimate is a very strong and active club within NUIM.

We train multiple times a week and have had excursions to such exotic places like Edinburgh and France, and we are going to Manchester for a weekend of Frisbee and banter at a beginner tournament in mid October.
    We'll also be traveling all around Ireland throughout the year - Cork, Limerick, Galway, Dublin and Belfast.

This year for the first time we have a women's team under way.

Complete beginners are more than welcome! The majority of great frisbee players all started at level zero and knew nothing of the sport before trying it in college.

Like us on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/NUIMUltimate for training times and hopefully we'll see you there :D

Pro-Choice Soc Facebook Page.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Pande_monium

Hi
    I'm interested in joining the Christian Society and was wondering could anyone tell me what its like and what they do? I don't really agree with going out and preaching to others on campus so is any of that involved? Also to any members in your opinion which is better the Christian Union or Young Christian society?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Hi
    I'm interested in joining the Christian Society and was wondering could anyone tell me what its like and what they do? I don't really agree with going out and preaching to others on campus so is any of that involved? Also to any members in your opinion which is better the Christian Union or Young Christian society?

Hi. I was involved with the Christian Union on campus while I was at Maynooth, I know people who are still involved in it. I'd really recommend it, it really stretched me as a Christian while at university. I found that the CU really functioned as a family on campus, I'm sure that's still true.

The main focus of the Christian Union is to provide a place where Christians can grow in fellowship on campus, and also to be a place where people who are seeking or looking to find out more can come and hear about the Gospel. The Christian Union also promote Christianity on campus through debates and wider social events. There's a Tuesday main meeting at 6:30pm in JH6, and Bible studies during the week.

The CU on campus is also linked with 25 other Christian Unions in Ireland and in other countries around the world on a larger level. While I was there we had all-Ireland conferences and every few years there are European conferences.

Take a look at www.maynoothcu.org for the campus society. www.ifesireland.org and www.ifesworld.org will give you a fuller picture of the parent organisation.

Oh and feel free to PM me and ask anything you like :)

Advertisement