Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The price of a drink in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

Not seen it mentioned but you're getting a 35ml shot of your spirit compared to 25ml in the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

cson wrote: »
    Re The Oval, I've been in there a couple of times and it struck me as a strange combination of a nursing home with a sprinkling of tourists. The clientele is old is what I'm getting at! :pac:

Old, as in old man pub or old as in bingo hall?

Sure I'll give it a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

tibor wrote: »
    Not seen it mentioned but you're getting a 35ml shot of your spirit compared to 25ml in the UK!

Don't forget the 0.5ml.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

tibor wrote: »

That's a fair point but it's not uncommon to be able to get a double (50ml) and mixer over there for the price of a single without a mixer here.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    But it's not a pub's responsibility to tackle the obesity crisis.

If people are that worried about their weight then they can stay off the booze altogether or get some exercise.

I never said it was up to the publicans, just that it might be a small help on the way. The fact that it's cheapest to drink beer doesn't help. A lot of people aren't worried but are still obese!

Anyway my main point was the price of a G&T in Dakota of €8.80 which is very hard to justify.

I'm not here to get in an argument about how to tackle obesity in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Larianne wrote: »
    Old, as in old man pub or old as in bingo hall?

Sure I'll give it a shot.

The Oval is old as in it has stayed in business for long enough that keeping a regular trade involves not ripping them off. A nice shop on a rainy Monday morning (for a coffee of course) and equally nice on a Friday evening after work. You even get The Hegald free. Definitely worth a try.

The Oval is old as in it has stayed in business for long enough that keeping a regular trade involves not ripping them off. A nice shop on a rainy Monday morning (for a coffee of course) and equally nice on a Friday evening after work. You even get The Hegald free. Definitely worth a try.

Literally. Some dude came in and stuffed a bunch of papers in a bag and legged it out the door! :pac: Nice pub alright. Toilets were spotless (which always says a lot about a place). Defo head back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

I just rediscovered this thread - I was wondering why I couldn't find it in After Hours any more. As requested, the pub in question was Kate's Cottage, on the corner of Amiens street and Store street, just opposite Busaras. Now while I would be no means a frequent drinker of the said beverage (doubles not being cheap), I know that they're generally in or around the €10 mark and on the day in question I wanted quick hair of the dog followed by home to pizza and bed (it occurred to me that a naggin would be cheaper but that would have been just starting the drinking process all over again). I didn't see what gin he put into it but Cork, Dublin or Gordon's would be the standards. If they're gonna default to some really expensive gin they should have said that to me beforehand.

And yes, I take the point made earlier about the price list being on the door, but as a general rule you tend to know what your drink is going to cost. It'll vary from pub to pub but rarely will it be noticably more expensive. This was nearly €6 more than the same drink in the next pub up the road! Unless the barman spotted I was looking under the weather after the night before and tried to pull a fast one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I just rediscovered this thread - I was wondering why I couldn't find it in After Hours any more. As requested, the pub in question was Kate's Cottage, on the corner of Amiens street and Store street, just opposite Busaras.

Kate's Cottage is gone. It's now called The Brew Dock.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Some pubs I've been in use the 'pub' size tonics which are much bigger than the babies and around 230ml-250ml in size.

Much handier (and cheaper) for buying a few

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 houseinthesun

Down in the sticks most pubs have had to reassess their prices or face going out of business!:D
    Most offer 3 pints for €10 monday to friday, other pubs are €3 a pint on Saturday or Sunday, effectively meaning you get the cheap beer most days. My local still does the dash with the spirits and even large bottle of lemonade for the kids without charge.
    It's the little things that make the difference, i.e waking up with the pocket of change again, tis a great feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Actually find The Brew Dock really good for prices,great selection of non Heineken/Budweiser beers from Brew Dog in Scotland,plus 2 for 1 main courses on a Saturday too.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Mammanabammana

Actually find The Brew Dock really good for prices,great selection of non Heineken/Budweiser beers from Brew Dog in Scotland,plus 2 for 1 main courses on a Saturday too.

Which made it even stranger that they'd try to charge me that price. It struck me as a pretty decent down to earth no frills kind of place. Next time I pass that way I must have a look at the price list to see what that drink is listed as.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

brew dock is a fiver for pints I think, which most people won't consider to be value

They do a beer of the month for €4,it's decent beer too,not the usual slop that's passed off as beer in most pubs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Bambi wrote: »
    brew dock is a fiver for pints I think, which most people won't consider to be value

They serve better beer than most pubs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

They serve better beer than most pubs though.

They do, but most casual punters aren't gonna take that into account when they're used to drinking the generic big brands for less. Maybe the niche market will keep brewdock and the others going, hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

They do a beer of the month for €4,it's decent beer too,not the usual slop that's passed off as beer in most pubs!

four euros for a beer is still hardly great value. anyone who things it is either has either been outside of Dublin or still living the tiger.

never been to the brew dock, but the place that was there before was handy for a pint while waiting for a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

€5.90 for a pint of Heineken in Bruxelles last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Tusky wrote: »

and people in Dublin will galdly pay that if they believe it keeps away the riff raff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Was in o'donoghues the other night paid €17:85 for dble vodka single Morgan's and 1 coke ..... €4 cheaper in Tipperary, ye all most have some salaries to be enjoying your weekends in the city!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Fuinseog wrote: »
    four euros for a beer is still hardly great value. anyone who things it is either has either been outside of Dublin or still living the tiger.

never been to the brew dock, but the place that was there before was handy for a pint while waiting for a bus.

Well I'd consider 4 for a pint well decent value. What price do you think a drink should be and what do you base it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭cson

4 quid is decent value for the City. I'd say it should be the standard tbh. I'd happily spend €20 on 5 pints of Becks in The Globe served in the proper glass [which is a bugbear of mine - beer should always be served in its branded glass, I nearly felt like slapping the wanker in the Front Door in Galway the other night who served me Peroni in Guinness glasses] rather than the 5 quid pints of ****e they serve in Coppers etc

Look; end of the day if you want to drink on the cheap in Dublin its possible. Reillys, Diceys, The Village all do cheap beer off the top of my head. If you want to go to the likes of Bruxelles, Dandelion etc you'll pay for it.

Most pints in the Globe are more than €4! Nearer to €6!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

O'Connells South Richmond St (between George Bernard Shaw and the Portobello) do all pints / shorts for €4 all day every day.

They have large 2 litre bottles too for mixers and I dont think they charge for them.

I've said it here before too that for my money it's the best pint in Dublin!

Larianne wrote: »
    Most pints in the Globe are more than €4! Nearer to €6!

Only ever drank Becks in there and it was €4 to be fair. Sorted if you're a Becks fan, or willing to drink whatevers going!
    doughef wrote: »
    O'Connells South Richmond St (between George Bernard Shaw and the Portobello) do all pints / shorts for €4 all day every day.

They have large 2 litre bottles too for mixers and I dont think they charge for them.

I've said it here before too that for my money it's the best pint in Dublin!

Speaking of the GBS; do they still sell Buckfast in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

cson wrote: »
    Speaking of the GBS; do they still sell Buckfast in there?

Yes but they won't give it to you in a bottle because of cheap hipsters sneaking in their own.

And buckfast is not worth drinking from a jug. It's just wrong.

Tusky wrote: »

The main bar upstairs?

The rock bar downstairs does all pints for €4 before midnite and then €5 thereafter.

The Hotel bar in The Gresham, Toddys, does €4 pints 7 days a week if the notice by the bar when I was in there Saturday is correct. No time limit either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

Bambi wrote: »

Was there last week at they were selling a 500ml 'beer of the month' for €4 - and it was 8% alcohol too! That's effectively two pints of standard lager for €4

Advertisement