Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in Galway closing at 1am

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

PomBear wrote: »
    It's a pretty legitimate concern for their members (students), some would think you're ****ehawkin!
    In fairness, the SU do spout a lot of s**te and don't really represent the views of the vast majority of students, this time being an obvious exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

So does anybody know when the district court deals with the applications for extensions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

dloob wrote: »
    So does anybody know when the district court deals with the applications for extensions?
    They're dealt with at the end of the preceding month. One off applications for extensions can be made in advance during the month to the licensing sergeant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

I don't know if this has been posted previously, but I heard that the reason that this is happening is because they have cut down on garda hours and basically there is now not enough garda on duty to cover the late night openings anymore - its a case of a "cutback in garda" rather than anything else. I could be completely wrong of course, but it's just what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

that has been mentioned on the thread already. pretty handy that they were able to pull this stunt to make their point

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Nal

has there been any "let up" at all with this the last while?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭michaelr666

Carbon closed at 2 last night.. as to the rest of the pubs/ clubs I aint too sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Foreverdelayed

Nal wrote: »
    has there been any "let up" at all with this the last while?

Was out last Monday and Carbon stayed open until 2am. The staff said it really depends on when the Gardaí show up; could be 1 some nights and 2.30 others. Open until 2.30am tomorrow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭michaelr666

yeah the weekends are unaffected alright.. i wonder if the gardai would enforce this law so vigorously in the coming months

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It's a pretty legitimate concern for their members (students), some would think you're ****ehawkin!

Holding the University to ransom over RAG week is out of a legit concern of there's? They must be some pampered little brats if that's the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Club K/Bentley didn't open on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭PomBear

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Holding the University to ransom over RAG week is out of a legit concern of there's? They must be some pampered little brats if that's the case

The concession they got not to run the charity events they do every year went into the free Health Unit being open for another 2 year, alot more money into the SAF which helping students in financial hardship. The university didn't want the bad PR from it and initiated this deal which got the SU's support. There was no holding to ransom, dig a little deeper before you make assumptions and also, start a different thread if you want an argument about the SU ;)

The concession they got not to run the charity events they do every year went into the free Health Unit being open for another 2 year, alot more money into the SAF which helping students in financial hardship. The university didn't want the bad PR from it and initiated this deal which got the SU's support. There was no holding to ransom, dig a little deeper before you make assumptions and also, start a different thread if you want an argument about the SU ;)

The Students Union stated their support for keeping RAG week after much bad press? TRUE

The Students Union would not stand down from their stance? TRUE

The University then makes this offer and the Students Union stand down from their stance? TRUE

Fool another one..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,016 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The Students Union stated their support for keeping RAG week after much bad press? TRUE

The Students Union would not stand down from their stance? TRUE

The University then makes this offer and the Students Union stand down from their stance? TRUE

Fool another one..
    Ya but what i really want to know is what does this have to do with pub closing times??

Ya but what i really want to know is what does this have to do with pub closing times??

It's an extension of a comment I made based on the Student Unions statement about the pubs closing. Somebody responded to call me out as though I didn't know what I was talking about and making assumptions. Thus a run down of what I do know and how I came to the conclusion that they aren't a good barometer of policies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

So, is this craic still being enforced or whats the story? Was planning a trip to the Galway but it wouldn't be worth if this joke is still ongoing

So, is this craic still being enforced or whats the story? Was planning a trip to the Galway but it wouldn't be worth if this joke is still ongoing

I was out on numerous nights during the peak of this thread. Never had it happen anywhere I was. I'm talking Sunday-Thursday here.

If you're planning a Friday-Saturday night out then it's 2am either way(and again I was in places later than that at the weekend that remained unaffected)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

I was out on numerous nights during the peak of this thread. Never had it happen anywhere I was. I'm talking Sunday-Thursday here.

If you're planning a Friday-Saturday night out then it's 2am either way(and again I was in places later than that at the weekend that remained unaffected)

Yea from what I've heard Saturdays seem to be unaffected. Some people are saying recently that the mid week nights are closing at the new earlier times though, so maybe it was all a ploy just to curb student nightlife in the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Yea from what I've heard Saturdays seem to be unaffected. Some people are saying recently that the mid week nights are closing at the new earlier times though, so maybe it was all a ploy just to curb student nightlife in the city?

Most places are closing at 1:30 midweek now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Places are indeed still stopping serving at 1 Sun-Wed anyway. However it's 1.30 on thurs I think. People are still going out cos it's first/second week back but I can see house parties taking over soon.

Saturday's are completely unaffected though from what I've seen on the last few. Sat nights ftw! :D

• Advertisement

Doesn't seem to be making much of a difference anyway, students are starting drinking/making noise earlier, going out an hour earlier than before and leaving the nightclub at 1. Causing trouble outside supremacs and Having after parties till 6am. Been at 2 house parties already this yr in residential areas where the guards were called, this never happened once last last yr. Plan seems to be working very well indeed.

Doesn't seem to be making much of a difference anyway, students are starting drinking/making noise earlier, going out an hour earlier than before and leaving the nightclub at 1. Causing trouble outside supremacs and Having after parties till 6am. Been at 2 house parties already this yr in residential areas where the guards were called, this never happened once last last yr. Plan seems to be working very well indeed.

The residents of Newcastle would disagree with ya on that one. I assume the same would be said for Cill Ard, Woodquay and Gort na Glaise since that place was a nightmare for 2 years when the closing was later.

I'm assuming you are a student since you were at the parties?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

The residents of Newcastle would disagree with ya on that one.
    I wouldn't. He's right.

The residents of Newcastle would disagree with ya on that one. I assume the same would be said for Cill Ard, Woodquay and Gort na Glaise since that place was a nightmare for 2 years when the closing was later.

I'm assuming you are a student since you were at the parties?

I live in Cill Ard, there was a house party where the guards were called this week. Yes, I am a student. Are you? Never once last year was I at a after party after the night out. Club closed at 2.30am, was in bed for 3am.

This year, the club closes at 1am, back at the house for 1.30am and people are still up for more drinks/listening to music because as far as they're concerned the night isn't over. Every night I've been out this year, I haven't gone to bed before 5am.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,772 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Every night I've been out this year, I haven't gone to bed before 5am.

What time were you in class the following day?

Why's it my business, you ask: well, I'm a taxpayer. Which means that, unless you're a foreign student (I'm guessing you're not), my taxes are paying for your education. So could feel upset if you weren't making good use of the opportunities that I'm providing for you.

JustMary wrote: »

Why's it my business, you ask: well, I'm a taxpayer. Which means that, unless you're a foreign student (I'm guessing you're not), my taxes are paying for your education. So could feel upset if you weren't making good use of the opportunities that I'm providing for you.

What has what time Im ikn class the next day got to do with clubs closing at 1?

where did I ask why was it your business?:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

1339604511752.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

1339604511752.png

I'm actually thinking about closing my account an signing up again with a new account just so I can thank this post again!

@JustMary id say your the life and soul of all these great parties going on in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Dear Lord would you ever lighten up. An embarrassing post.

• Advertisement

For what it's worth I kind of agree with you. Even students who aren't getting grants have their fee's subsidized. The one's that do get the grants and go to NUIG don't have their attendance monitored which is meant to be a requirement to receive the grant. So they are free to cause havoc in the town and get drunk any night they please safe in the knowledge they don't have to go into college and won't have their grant pulled from them. Also as long as they study for 2 weeks before the exams they'll pass because the courses they study are p1ss poor and don't prepare students for the working world and impact on our economy because it means we produce poor quality workers

Advertisement