Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip-Hop 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

D12 world had a lot of Dre work on it, more than Mr. Porter actually.

although i agree with you about dre having done some nice stuff in the past 12 years i have to say d12 world is a terrible example to choose, that was a shockingly bad album. He had some nice beats on Devils Night though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

My Dre dislike is just the whole Detox bull****, at this stage it's just hiphop's Chinese Democracy.

It's going to be ****.

I like Dre's drums in general buy I hate his synth sound. It's beyond dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

No it is nothing like CD. He does not need to put out Detox and it was all his choice on this "delay".

I liked Devil's Night (and d12 world), especially the beats. But anyway it is only one of dozens of examples of post 2001 Dre.

I liked d12 world, especially the beats. But anyway it is only one of dozens of examples of post 2001 Dre.

According to the oul wiki he only produced 1 track off d12 world but we all know how unreliable wiki can be, anywho, i agree, there's countless other examples of his good production throughout the early-mid 00s.

Well then I am mixing up the albums then, he produced 4-5 on the one I am thinking of.

I am terrible with album and song names. Yep I meant Devil's Night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Seaneh wrote: »
    You talking sold out?

YOU ARE OBSESSED WITH 50 CENT!

you clearly havnt a notion, your like a parrot at this stage. You said dre has released rubbish the last 12 years, your 100 per cent wrong stop showing up your stupidity.

Dre is beyond boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

if only he sold out and went 808 maybe that could save him. He has been pretty bad in recent years but 12? come on... Dre has produced more classics through his artists the last 12 years than kanye.

Please explain how '808s' was a 'sellout' album.

Orizio wrote: »

Apparently it's pop...

Apparently it's pop...

Eh it is pop, autotune etc nearly as bad as young moneys stuff. Don't be giving me that experimental rubbish , he went the commercial route and had a huge hand in the bulls*it we hear on our radios today thats deemed hip hop aka niki Minaj.

• Advertisement

748.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

im hyped for this... great promo this from xzibit.

I'm getting more psyched for this album every time I hear or see something from it. Love the way he talks about a classic album. Hard to say if it'll be one but it won't be far off imo.

I must be one of the few people around that actually likes that album. I have it on my iPod which is a huge thing. I have almost no space left on le iPod so it's a good thing that it's still on there.

I can't really explain why I like it, only that I like it. Some is ****e, but some is good as well.

No it is nothing like CD. He does not need to put out Detox and it was all his choice on this "delay".

I liked Devil's Night (and d12 world), especially the beats. But anyway it is only one of dozens of examples of post 2001 Dre.

I was watching Project X tonight and "Fight Music" was on the soundtrack. Been thinking about it ever since. Brilliant song. If Bizarre's verse was taken out then it'd be one of my favourites of all time. His verse is ****ing sick (and not in a good way).

It also reminds me how much of a loss Proof was. Himself and Eminem were the perfect hype man/rapper duo. I haven't seen anyone as good since.

I was watching Project X tonight and "Fight Music" was on the soundtrack. Been thinking about it ever since. Brilliant song. If Bizarre's verse was taken out then it'd be one of my favourites of all time. His verse is ****ing sick (and not in a good way).

It also reminds me how much of a loss Proof was. Himself and Eminem were the perfect hype man/rapper duo. I haven't seen anyone as good since.

I agree except for the last part, he was such a big loss as a rapper more than just a hype man.

Bizzarre is odd but some of the lines are funny enough to make me ignore the pure nonsense.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Thread has been derailed albeit with healthy discussion in the past 24 hours!
    Please keep this on the topic of Hip Hop in the year 2012 please.
    There are more appropriate threads for the above discussion.

has to be one of the dopest songs this year so far, this is a single of lamonts street album before the long awaited reformation album that was supposed to be released on aftermath years ago. Lamont didnt have the commercial presence needed to get a aftermath release hence the reason he was dropped imo because he's dope as f*ck.

Terrible terrible features imo, but otherwise not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

This reminds me of the time Murs sampled James Blunt. I should hate it but damn it's awesome :D

Styles Of Beyond Feat. Michael Buble

The album won't feature Buble, they probably couldn't afford the clearance or else weren't allowed to use it.

Ha, Mike must be paying a lot for SoB's features these days.

Tak and Ryu are dope though.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭gerryd2

Terrible terrible features imo, but otherwise not bad.
    This just reminded me of something. Man WTF happened to Aftermath records. It was one of the best labels last decade and they had a lot of great rappers on the label but most of them walked due to the label sitting on their music. Busta Rhymes, Raekwon, Rakim, Bishop Lamant all walked due to creative differences or falling out with Jimmy Iovine
    and now Slim Da monsters on twitter talking about leaving the label too due to 50 cent.

Then the whole Detox crap and Dre saying hes retiring from Detox for a few years. I just hope they don't ruin Kendrick Lamar cause his section 80 album last year was one of the best released in 2011.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

One thing I love is quality packaging on an album when I buy a physical copy. Rhymesayers are pretty good in this respect and are continuing with the Brother Ali album sleeve/package.

Here's a video of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tricolorbob1987

Xzibit's new music video, different but I like some parts :)

Wow... that's terrible.

I mean, the message is good, it's interesting subject matter but the execution is terrible.

Title track from Lecrae's mixtape he dropped hosted by Don Cannon a while back, production form the likes of Boi-1da, Street Symphony and some guy called 9thWonder and even a feature from Malice (now No Malice) from Clipse.

Some serious beats on the tape, lyrics won't be everyone's cup of tea but truth is Lecrae is probably a better M.C. than your favourite rapper and sold more record than them in the last 2 years too.

You can download it free on datpiff.

His album was released the other day and has a feature from BIG K.R.I.T. and Novel.

Statik Selektah ‏@StatikSelekt
    This record i'm tryin to talk @freddiegibbs into leaking might be the record of the year…. ****s ILL!!

Hopefully Freddie listens to him.

That Xzibit tune is fúcking insane, the heavy metal style suits his voice incredibly well but it's not really necessary, i imagined a very bassy tune with a heavy drum loop when i saw Travis was gonna be featured, not a sliptnot tribute. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Loving that X tune, gonna be blasting that in the car

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Loving that X tune, gonna be blasting that in the car

There aren't many better artists than X for making tunes that you can put on in the car to make the whole thing shake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Title track from Lecrae's mixtape he dropped hosted by Don Cannon a while back, production form the likes of Boi-1da, Street Symphony and some guy called 9thWonder and even a feature from Malice (now No Malice) from Clipse.

Some serious beats on the tape, lyrics won't be everyone's cup of tea but truth is Lecrae is probably a better M.C. than your favourite rapper and sold more record than them in the last 2 years too.

You can download it free on datpiff.

His album was released the other day and has a feature from BIG K.R.I.T. and Novel.

Nice. That track with Malice is great and the joint will Braille (you heard the Beautiful Eulogy album? Its dope). I'll pick up the album when I get paid.

Lecrae is dope, this is probably my favourite track by him

Such an amazing song.

• Advertisement

gerryd2 wrote: »
    This just reminded me of something. Man WTF happened to Aftermath records. It was one of the best labels last decade and they had a lot of great rappers on the label but most of them walked due to the label sitting on their music. Busta Rhymes, Raekwon, Rakim, Bishop Lamant all walked due to creative differences or falling out with Jimmy Iovine
    and now Slim Da monsters on twitter talking about leaving the label too due to 50 cent.

Then the whole Detox crap and Dre saying hes retiring from Detox for a few years. I just hope they don't ruin Kendrick Lamar cause his section 80 album last year was one of the best released in 2011.

Bottom line is imo if you haven't a chance of being commercially successful your not given a chance on aftermath/interscope to release an album. Bishop has bucket loads of talent same with rakim etc but they dont have the same commercial presence of an eminem or 50 cent.

Aftermaths sales record is pretty impressive, I think all their albums have gone at least gold with the majority of them being several times platinum including a few diamonds from em.

Thats why i was skeptical of lamars move to the label but his talent/momentum and commercial potential is proving to be too strong to resist hence his album coming a lot sooner than previous aftermath artists were made to wait.

on slim da mobster he's an idiot and a 50 wanna be, constantly talking about him on twitter. His manager is sha money xl of g unit, he was always going to be dropped, he's no where near the level expected of an aftermath artist.

Advertisement