Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The price of a drink in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭CucaFace

I don't know if they still have the offer, but The Turk's Head offered Fosters' cooking lager at under €4 per pint at certain times. Worth checking if you're in The Czech Inn.

Turks head do €3.50 a pint i think now on a Sunday between 2 and 8.

Not 100% sure about the times but not bad for a pub in Temple bar.

Lafayette (near O'Connell bridge) also do €10 pitchers of Bavaria and a pint and a pizza for €10.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

OP, why not name and shame? That's why I set up pintofplain.com. Publicans will continue to charge over the odds for as long as they can get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

The Ginger Man on Fenian Street does pints of beer from Cork's Franciscan Well Brewery for €3.50.

It's a grand spot and a regular haunt of mine when in Dublin.

Spend your evening between there and the nearby MacTurcaills' with all pints costing €3.50 as well and you can have a right good recession session. :)

Check the publin.ie guide as well and you won't go far wrong.

It's 3.60 now and has been for a good while :)

lovely beers, big fan of the friars wiess and the writers block

was in there the other day , sitting beside a table of about 12 people, all dinking Bud!! They really don't know what they are missing, and for a good 1 euro plus less per pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

cojomo2 wrote: »
    It's 3.60 now and has been for a good while :)

lovely beers, big fan of the friars wiess and the writers block

was in there the other day , sitting beside a table of about 12 people, all dinking Bud!! They really don't know what they are missing, and for a good 1 euro plus less per pint!

There's just no telling some people... fools!

Anyway, I'll be over in Dublin next week. I might have to pace my pint intake now that The Ginger Man has added 10c to the price of a Writer's Block! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

The Globe on Georges Street do €4 pints of Becks,and the rock bar downstairs in Bruxelles does all pints for €4 before midnite 7 days a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

BeerNut wrote: »
    I've never seen anywhere with offers like this where the food can be classed as "good".

The William Blake, near Old Street in Hackney. Lived near there a few years ago, did really good food and was cheap as chips. Good service as well. The missus found some plastic in her food, they refunded her her meal and gave us both vouchers to have two mains each and a drink.Doubt you'd get a response like that in any Dublin pub!

There curry night was pretty sweet as well!

http://www.thewilliamblake.co.uk/resource/binary//f333a8264fc6466cd1b0047aadbbcd6f/STG00700%20CI%20March%20Refresh%20Spice%20Night%20MenuTuesWeds%205-10%20%C2%A36.45.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

The William Blake, near Old Street in Hackney. Lived near there a few years ago, did really good food and was cheap as chips. Good service as well. The missus found some plastic in her food, they refunded her her meal and gave us both vouchers to have two mains each and a drink.Doubt you'd get a response like that in any Dublin pub!

There curry night was pretty sweet as well!

http://www.thewilliamblake.co.uk/resource/binary//f333a8264fc6466cd1b0047aadbbcd6f/STG00700%20CI%20March%20Refresh%20Spice%20Night%20MenuTuesWeds%205-10%20%C2%A36.45.pdf

Excellent tip, chief. I must pop in next time I'm over that way.

Obviously not Dublin-related but I'm all over a deal like that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

afatbollix wrote: »
    Yesterday the UK pub industry said that that for the first time in 5 years business has picked up and finally turned around.

But they made the point that a lot of pubs have moved away from just offering drink, good food at good prices like 2 curry's for a tenner on a Tuesday night or opening early for coffee. Deals that get people threw the door.

The industry needs to change in Ireland big time.

I'm surprised a weatherspoons type chain hasn't opened yet in Ireland.

Weatherspoons tried to open pubs in Dublin in 2003 but Diageo made it difficult for them, eventually refusing to sell any of their products to them.

A Dublin pub without Guinness could not survive then, now who knows?

Diageo had just bullied the Bartrader group out of business with legal costs forcing them to back down.

Bartrader was set up by leading publicans joining together to try force Diageo to lower their prices.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

nudger wrote: »
    [/B]
    There's a few pubs these days that don't serve Guinness - none of the Porthouse pubs, Against the Grain, Brew Dock, Black Sheep, L. Mulligan's. They're all craft brew places so have a different draw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Draco wrote: »
    There's a few pubs these days that don't serve Guinness - none of the Porthouse pubs, Against the Grain, Brew Dock, Black Sheep, L. Mulligan's. They're all craft brew places so have a different draw.

Mulligan's have bottled Guinness available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Some do, like the black sheep.

Was in Kilkenny for the weekend and there's a world of difference in price and service between the pubs there and some of the ones dublin city center. But if your willing to not go to temple bar or around the grafton street area there are plenty of places which do deals. Can't see them being as good as the fresh full cocktails for fiver mind which we were drinking in kilkenny at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

I paid €8.80 for a small Cork Dry Gin and Tonic in Dakota on South William Street a couple of weeks ago, disgraceful. I tweeted them a couple of times but got no response to justify their ridiculous prices. I then walked up to Solas on Wexford St and got a G&T, they use Hendricks Gin as their house gin, (much nicer IMO) and it cost €6.90, much better value.

Should bars not reduce the price of lower carb drinks? Its like people who don't drink beer are being penalized for drinking slightly healthier drinks. It would help reduce the high levels of obesity in this country if spirits and wine were at least the same price as beer per unit. I know mixing with coke etc is high carb but you know what I'm getting at!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

BeerNut wrote: »
    Fair point: 2-for-1 mains in Against the Grain on Tuesdays and Brew Dock on Saturdays, isn't it? Though afatbollix was talking about the UK where so much pub food, especially cheap pub food, is microwaved crap.

I've eaten plenty of good, cheap, pub grub in the UK which wasn't microwaved.

faigs wrote: »
    I paid €8.80 for a small Cork Dry Gin and Tonic in Dakota on South William Street a couple of weeks ago, disgraceful. I tweeted them a couple of times but got no response to justify their ridiculous prices. I then walked up to Solas on Wexford St and got a G&T, they use Hendricks Gin as their house gin, (much nicer IMO) and it cost €6.90, much better value.

Should bars not reduce the price of lower carb drinks? Its like people who don't drink beer are being penalized for drinking slightly healthier drinks. It would help reduce the high levels of obesity in this country if spirits and wine were at least the same price as beer per unit. I know mixing with coke etc is high carb but you know what I'm getting at!

The problem is the price of the mixers. When you're getting charged €1.50 to €2 for a small bottle of mixer it makes not drinking beer in Dublin a very expensive choice. That's the big difference with the UK. A pint in Dublin and a pint in London are pretty comparable now. A spirit + mixer is not comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

The justification for their prices are that people continue to pay them!

If you want to save money when going for a drink just have a 2 minute peruse on Publin.ie and you'll find plenty of pubs with very good drinks prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

I don't understand why a 'healthy option' would be cheaper, low fat/health foods and drinks are always more expensive because people are willing to pay more for them. I don't get why you feel your being penalised, if you don't want it, don't pay for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Martyn1989 wrote: »
    I don't understand why a 'healthy option' would be cheaper, low fat/health foods and drinks are always more expensive because people are willing to pay more for them. I don't get why you feel your being penalised, if you don't want it, don't pay for it.

Pubs aren't under any orders to try and reward people for being healthy. They're pubs!

There's no obligation for the healthy option to be cheaper, but in this case there's no real reason why it should be so much more expensive. Particularly when you're contrasting the price of a dirty Smirnoff or house gin with a decent beer.

Spirits are ridiculously over-priced in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

All I'm saying is that the spirits are ludicrously overpriced. Why should I have to drink high carb beer if I want to budget myself to €5 a drink? On the continent spirits are the same price - the bars use split sized mixers and just open them as the need them and pour the mixer as a dash. None of this baby bottle rip off.

In general I don't mind paying 6-7 euro for G&T, thats just the way it is in Dublin, but do you really think €8.80 is a fair price? And correct, I don't want it so I won't pay for it, I'll go so a bar up the street that's nearly €2 cheaper and use beter gin! :) It's that price in Dakota that made me feel penalized, I know bars will never make them the same price as beer but if spirits were cheaper then maybe, just maybe it would help fight obesity here, it is a huge problem. I know I'd be more likely to drink a vodka soda/G&T more often in a round if it was a fair price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I was in a bar in Dun Laoghaire recently where all spirits were 3.80. The Harbour Grill I think it was called.

But it's not a pub's responsibility to tackle the obesity crisis.

If people are that worried about their weight then they can stay off the booze altogether or get some exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

€8+ for a G + T is shocking. In the golf club I worked in two years ago it was €5.20 for a G+T which is about right. How any establishment can justify charging that is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

What's the Oval on Abbey street like? Are the cheaper prices for a reason?

Larianne wrote: »
    What's the Oval on Abbey street like? Are the cheaper prices for a reason?

Nice pub, was always good for a few pints.

Long time established North side bar, knows not to fleece the customers so is usually busy with good drinkers.

Nice pub, was always good for a few pints.

Long time established North side bar, knows not to fleece the customers so is usually busy with good drinkers.

i.e. Drunks?

i.e. Drunks?

No, well sometimes:D.

It gets a a lot of the local workers for lunch and other bar, hotel, theatre staff go there when they finish shifts.

No, well sometimes:D.

It gets a a lot of the local workers for lunch and other bar, hotel, theatre staff go there when they finish shifts.

Grando. Might try it out so. I walk by there all the time but have never set foot in the place.

Grando. Might try it out so. I walk by there all the time but have never set foot in the place.

The Flowing Tide is another good one close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭cson

A lot of the reason I would think that Spirits are so much more expensive than the Beer equivilant is that the mixers over here are exorbitant. In the UK and Continental Europe they use the Coke splash gun and typically don't charge for it. Whereas here a bottle of Coke/Red Bull can cost as much as the drink itself which is outrageous.

Re The Oval, I've been in there a couple of times and it struck me as a strange combination of a nursing home with a sprinkling of tourists. The clientele is old is what I'm getting at! :pac:

In the UK even if they don't use the carbonated mixers and give you a bottle (for a G&T for example) they still don't charge much/any more for it in most places.

I know a few people in the pub industry in the UK and the sodastream-style soft drinks are where they get a big chunk of their profit margin from as well.

• Advertisement

cson wrote: »
    A lot of the reason I would think that Spirits are so much more expensive than the Beer equivilant is that the mixers over here are exorbitant. In the UK and Continental Europe they use the Coke splash gun and typically don't charge for it. Whereas here a bottle of Coke/Red Bull can cost as much as the drink itself which is outrageous.

Re The Oval, I've been in there a couple of times and it struck me as a strange combination of a nursing home with a sprinkling of tourists. The clientele is old is what I'm getting at! :pac:

The reason spirits are expensive is because the publican makes them so.

An average spirit and mixer costs the publican €1.20 to buy, an average pint €1.60.
    To achieve the same profit Margin on a pint of Guinness selling at €4.50 the publican could sell a G+T for €3.40.

And as for the oval, I'm not for the nursing home yet.:)

Advertisement