Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clarendon Street Pedestrianisation

Options
  • 06-09-2012 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Saw this on broadsheet.ie:

Screen-Shot-2012-09-05-at-17.49.12.jpg

A2GkSA3CAAA8LxG.jpg-large-e1346931125189.jpeg

I like the approach they've taken here, moving ahead with plans and not waiting for tonnes of money. I'd prefer better looking decorations, but better than a series of metal barriers at least.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

I won't call it a budget way of doing it, I'd rather call it a time and financially efficient way of achieving pedestrianisation.

I like it, hopefully that will encourage a few more retail outlets to move into that street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pigtown

Limerick City Council have employed the same approach on a section of O'Connell St. for yeaes now. In my opinion it doesn't really work as people don't realise that the road has been closed off to cars and so stick to the footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Looks half-arsed tbh. Repaving a street isn't THAT big a job in the scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

sdeire wrote: »
    Looks half-arsed tbh. Repaving a street isn't THAT big a job in the scheme of things.

Perhaps it's a temporary solution until their finances improve?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

markpb wrote: »
    Perhaps it's a temporary solution until their finances improve?

If a job's worth doing it's worth doing right ;) It looks pathetic tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

sdeire wrote: »
    If a job's worth doing it's worth doing right ;) It looks pathetic tbh.
    They are doing it correctly. Work to fully pedestrianise this street kicks off in January. The above photos just show initial measures to cordon off space in preparation.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

spacetweek wrote: »
    They are doing it correctly. Work to fully pedestrianise this street kicks off in January. The above photos just show initial measures to cordon off space in preparation.

Where did you here that?

Bit strange given businesses in the area are looking for the next streets over to be pedestrianised and those streets have far more bars and cafes that Clarendon Street has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭OssianSmyth

Clarendon Street is to have some parking places removed and replaced with a painted area for pedestrians temporarily during the repaving of Grafton Street to provide an alternative pedestrian friendly route. I think cars will still be permitted.
    http://www.dublincity.ie/Planning/Documents/environmental%20report%20final.pdf

The pedestrianisation of a section of South William Street, Drury Street, Dame Lane, Dame Ct and Palace St was proposed by the dublin2walk group. www.dublin2walk.com

Dublin city councillors rejected this plan at their last meeting. This was a mistake. The central section of Sth William Street is thronged with pedestrians and those vehicles using it could use alternative routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'm sad to hear that the council rejected the plan for the partial pedestrianisation of the area. It badly needs it, and at times it can become pedestrianised de facto due to the huge numbers of people. I know there are several impediments, but really the only thing that's stopping full pedestrianisation is the need for access to some car parks.

With regard to the "half-arsed" scheme on Clarendon St: It's been there for a while now, at least a few weeks. I think it works fairly well, as before it used to be hard to "overtake" somebody. It does look a bit makeshift, and people tend to stick to the footpath still (maybe they're unsure as to whether it's for peds or cyclists, or indeed motorists?), but it does the job. Perhaps I'm wrong (in light of what OssianSmyth says above) but I had heard that the council were planning on doing a trial-run before implementing full pedestrianisation. These planters would certainly allow for that, in the event that it doesn't work out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I decided to post this here rather than starting a new thread because the article is linked to info/links posted above. Maybe it would be a good idea to change the name of the thread so that it can be about pedestrianisation in general?

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/sunday-festivals-to-be-held-in-dublin-city-centre-this-summer-1.1791572
    The plan, expected to be ratified by Dublin city councillors tonight, would see the festival and market run on the northside and the southside of the city on alternate months. The two locations chosen are South William Street and the surrounding roads between Grafton Street and George’s Street on the southside, and Wolfe Tone Park beside Jervis Street shopping centre on the northside.

“We want to gradually move forward with more pedestrianisation of the city centre and this temporary pedestrianisation will allow us to test out the feasibility of that,” Lord Mayor of Dublin Oisín Quinn said
    Great news and a step in the right direction. Such mini festivals could be very interesting and should convince more people of the merits of pedestrianisation. Hopefully the move towards more pedestrianisation isn't too gradual.

• Advertisement
Advertisement